Billy's Chilies Beer (Timberline Series) - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Billy's Chilies Beer (Timberline Series)Billy's Chilies Beer (Timberline Series)

Twisted Pine Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Our chili beer is made with five different kinds of fresh chili peppers. Rich pepper aroma greets you when the bottle is opened, followed by its satisfying beer taste and then subtle spiciness.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-14-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Jeckel

08-07-2012 04:33:54 | More by Jeckel
weeare138

1.05/5  rDev -68.8%

Thanks to hopdog for the opportunity...
Appears a light gold with a small white head that quickly fades into a mild cap that dissipates. No lacing, or CO2 are present.
Smell is of chili peppers, and mexican food with a bad salsa gone awry.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas...not sure what else to say. I'm at odds and not really sure what to say.
Mouthfeel is hot...spicy, that is. Pretty gross. Sorry, I just don't have that much to add. It's peppers, it's hot, it's a spicy salsa beer. Hmmmm.

05-31-2008 19:20:03 | More by weeare138
Tolnik

1.4/5  rDev -58.3%

I've never had to pour out a beer until this one. I am ashamed that I had to do this to a beer. But as this beer doesn't have anything really to attribute to a beer it happened.

The appearance was good with the head that came off and then reduced to thin lacing. The smell had some hops to it but then the chilies came to power. The taste was just pure chili. If you want nothing else to taste but chilies this would create a dream beer for you. But as I enjoy the combination of all the different aspects of a beer, this one lacked everything that in my mind makes a beer.

01-29-2009 03:43:59 | More by Tolnik

Kansas

07-28-2014 14:34:34 | More by dubmax
BeerBelcher

1.5/5  rDev -55.4%

Looks like Bud Light, with that mysterious juice that's left in the jalapeno jar added. It even refracted light in that weird viscous way that left-over pickle juice does. The smell is earthy. I, having read the label, knew that it was peppers right away...so I asked my wife (pregnancy having given her the nose of a bloodhound) to give it a wiff. She identified carrots, potatoes, and other fruits of the earth. Nothing that belongs in a beer bottle, I assure you.

The flavor was, in a word, awful. I can't say I've had other chile beers, and this example will make me think twice before I do. After this beer, the fact that I have a bottle of Rogue Chipotle in the fridge is terrifying.

10-15-2006 19:58:28 | More by BeerBelcher
SPThirtyThree

1.63/5  rDev -51.5%

Is this a joke? Had I only had one of these, I would have been sure someone spiked my beer and then recapped it. With what, you might ask, does it taste like it has been spiked? Well, to be honest, I'd say: a rotten bell pepper, some Tabasco sauce, and a dead hamster.

I actually drank a couple of these while on a ski trip last year. I has as many from the 4-pack as I could handle, as they were almost unbearable, and decided to age one for a year (Actually, I left it with a buddy in CO and prayed that it would eventually make itself disappear, but sadly, every time I visited, it was still in his fridge.) I had hopes that with time, the chili flavors would mellow and blend. Here is the review of my revisit to Timberline hell:

A: Pours straw gold with a thin, sparse micro-bubbles and a ghost-shit head that fades to a ring around the glass.

S: Bell pepper and unpleasant vegetable flavors overpower any other aroma.

T: Honey sweetness is the only thing distinguishable beyond the head and veggie tastes from the peppers.

M: Light with decent carbonation.

D: Lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut.

So yes, even after a year, this remains the worst commercially-produced beer I have tried. The chili has not mellowed enough to make it drinkable, and again, I found myself breaking the eleventh commandment and pouring out the beer after sampling.

In almost every aspect - smell, taste, mouthfeel - this is merely an underhopped clone of bud light, but one that has been doused in fiery vegetable flavors that completely destroy any reminants of a drinkable beer.

01-13-2010 22:24:24 | More by SPThirtyThree

Pitcairn

07-25-2014 13:13:09 | More by HRamz3
Mora2000

2.15/5  rDev -36%

The beer pours a golden color with a white head. The aroma is very similar to the juice you get in canned jalapenos, with some sweet biscuit malt also thrown in. The flavor is a mix of bread and jalapeno notes that burns the throat as it goes down. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not one of the better hot and spicy beers I have tried.

04-10-2012 02:05:49 | More by Mora2000
waltonc

2.17/5  rDev -35.4%

My neighbor gave this one to me.

Wow, they aren't kidding when they say Chilies. This is by far the spiciest chili beer I have had. The other reviewers have it covered - about the only thing I taste is hot peppers and cigarettes. Interesting for a couple sips, but now I need a new beer. Maybe this would be good to cook with though. Perhaps in some chili, or in the water pan of a meat smoker, or any other bbq scenario where adding beer is desired.

07-16-2009 02:52:14 | More by waltonc

sbart518

09-30-2013 14:46:18 | More by sbart518
rowew

2.3/5  rDev -31.5%

Presentation: 12 oz short bottle, label has a picture of the 5 chilis used in the beer. No date info.

Appearance: Pours golden with just a slight haze, huge frothy head. Head sticks around quite a while.

Smell: All chiles, no beer. Smells like fresh peppers.

Taste: Actually there isn't much flavor here at all - the base beer is overwhelmed by the chilis .. but even that isn't much, its more of a burn at the end.

Overall impression: I've had some decent chili beers in the paste, but this one isn't something I'll be getting again. It is lacking in flavor, and only has some chili aroma and burn going for it.

10-14-2008 00:31:49 | More by rowew