Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Billy's Chilies Beer (Timberline Series) - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Billy's Chilies Beer (Timberline Series)Billy's Chilies Beer (Timberline Series)

Twisted Pine Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-14-2006

Our chili beer is made with five different kinds of fresh chili peppers. Rich pepper aroma greets you when the bottle is opened, followed by its satisfying beer taste and then subtle spiciness.
1.06/5  rDev -69%

Thanks to hopdog for the opportunity...
Appears a light gold with a small white head that quickly fades into a mild cap that dissipates. No lacing, or CO2 are present.
Smell is of chili peppers, and mexican food with a bad salsa gone awry.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas...not sure what else to say. I'm at odds and not really sure what to say.
Mouthfeel is hot...spicy, that is. Pretty gross. Sorry, I just don't have that much to add. It's peppers, it's hot, it's a spicy salsa beer. Hmmmm. (494 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -56.7%

I've never had to pour out a beer until this one. I am ashamed that I had to do this to a beer. But as this beer doesn't have anything really to attribute to a beer it happened.

The appearance was good with the head that came off and then reduced to thin lacing. The smell had some hops to it but then the chilies came to power. The taste was just pure chili. If you want nothing else to taste but chilies this would create a dream beer for you. But as I enjoy the combination of all the different aspects of a beer, this one lacked everything that in my mind makes a beer. (574 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -53.5%

Looks like Bud Light, with that mysterious juice that's left in the jalapeno jar added. It even refracted light in that weird viscous way that left-over pickle juice does. The smell is earthy. I, having read the label, knew that it was peppers right away...so I asked my wife (pregnancy having given her the nose of a bloodhound) to give it a wiff. She identified carrots, potatoes, and other fruits of the earth. Nothing that belongs in a beer bottle, I assure you.

The flavor was, in a word, awful. I can't say I've had other chile beers, and this example will make me think twice before I do. After this beer, the fact that I have a bottle of Rogue Chipotle in the fridge is terrifying. (692 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -50.9%

Is this a joke? Had I only had one of these, I would have been sure someone spiked my beer and then recapped it. With what, you might ask, does it taste like it has been spiked? Well, to be honest, I'd say: a rotten bell pepper, some Tabasco sauce, and a dead hamster.

I actually drank a couple of these while on a ski trip last year. I has as many from the 4-pack as I could handle, as they were almost unbearable, and decided to age one for a year (Actually, I left it with a buddy in CO and prayed that it would eventually make itself disappear, but sadly, every time I visited, it was still in his fridge.) I had hopes that with time, the chili flavors would mellow and blend. Here is the review of my revisit to Timberline hell:

A: Pours straw gold with a thin, sparse micro-bubbles and a ghost-shit head that fades to a ring around the glass.

S: Bell pepper and unpleasant vegetable flavors overpower any other aroma.

T: Honey sweetness is the only thing distinguishable beyond the head and veggie tastes from the peppers.

M: Light with decent carbonation.

D: Lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut.

So yes, even after a year, this remains the worst commercially-produced beer I have tried. The chili has not mellowed enough to make it drinkable, and again, I found myself breaking the eleventh commandment and pouring out the beer after sampling.

In almost every aspect - smell, taste, mouthfeel - this is merely an underhopped clone of bud light, but one that has been doused in fiery vegetable flavors that completely destroy any reminants of a drinkable beer. (1,580 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -50.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

This is a fine beer for making chili, and that's about it. I can't drink this. It's just too harsh on the peppers. It's like drinking straight pepper juice. (156 characters)

Had on tap at Disney's Epcot Center

L: Pours a clear light golden color with a thin white head.

S: Chili peppers and vegetables.

T:/F: This tastes pretty awful. Chili peppers and tobasco sauce with an unpleasant chili burn. No other detectable flavors. Carbonated and kind of fizzy.

O: I very much disliked this beer and would have dumped it had I gotten more than a 4 oz pour. Mild chili flavor can augment a beer but it sure can't carry one. Maybe worth trying once for the novelty. (496 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -36.3%

The beer pours a golden color with a white head. The aroma is very similar to the juice you get in canned jalapenos, with some sweet biscuit malt also thrown in. The flavor is a mix of bread and jalapeno notes that burns the throat as it goes down. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not one of the better hot and spicy beers I have tried. (345 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -34.8%

My neighbor gave this one to me.

Wow, they aren't kidding when they say Chilies. This is by far the spiciest chili beer I have had. The other reviewers have it covered - about the only thing I taste is hot peppers and cigarettes. Interesting for a couple sips, but now I need a new beer. Maybe this would be good to cook with though. Perhaps in some chili, or in the water pan of a meat smoker, or any other bbq scenario where adding beer is desired. (451 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -31%

Presentation: 12 oz short bottle, label has a picture of the 5 chilis used in the beer. No date info.

Appearance: Pours golden with just a slight haze, huge frothy head. Head sticks around quite a while.

Smell: All chiles, no beer. Smells like fresh peppers.

Taste: Actually there isn't much flavor here at all - the base beer is overwhelmed by the chilis .. but even that isn't much, its more of a burn at the end.

Overall impression: I've had some decent chili beers in the paste, but this one isn't something I'll be getting again. It is lacking in flavor, and only has some chili aroma and burn going for it. (616 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -26.9%

I was excited to try this beer, good chile aroma and taste at first, but it had that wheatty finish which tastes like something rotten to me. The head was light, fluffy and effervescenty and quickly dissipated. Birdsong Jalapeno pale ale and Ballast Point Habanero Sculpin are way better. Those are the only other two peppery beers I have tried so far. (354 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -20.2%

12 fl oz bottle served in a pint glass, reviewed live:

A - A soapy white head of 1.5 fingers sits on top of a transparent, straw golden color. Retention is quite bad, but it leaves a small amount of lacing.

S -Roasted green chilies, jalepenos, and refined barley. It's hard to detect much else in the aroma with the overbearing nose of the peppers.

T - Basic pale malt and adjunct flavors open. A bit of floral hops try to come through but they're overmatched. Strong sweet/roasty/fruity peppers dominate the palate from climax to finish, lingering with a little spiciness on the tongue. It's built better than any other chili beer I've ever had (then again that's not saying much as every one I've had was complete crap).

M - Light bodied and crisp. Probably ideal for the style.

D - I'd drink this one again, though it's not sessionable by any stretch. I compliment the brewers for attempting to build a chili beer around a decent foundation. Certainly the best attempt at the style I've come across. (1,010 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -16.1%

Bottle (I think it was 12 fl oz) served into a pilsner glass at me friend's gaff in high altitude Fort Collins, Colorado. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a half finger head of no cream, bad thickness, and abysmal retention. Colour is a clear yellow-copper.

Sm: Yellow chilies, like the ones in those plastic baggies you get at In N Out Burger, and pizza peppers. A mild strength aroma.

T: Muted chilies, with some spice on the finish. It's decently built, and pretty balanced for a chili beer. There's some slight layering going on, but all around it's pretty simple.

Mf: Smooth and wet, suiting the flavours. I'd die if it were coarse or dry. At least the mouthfeel provides some refreshment.

Dr: As my first chili beer, it's not bad. That said, it's too simple and boring. I do like the spice on the finish, however. Really only worth a try if you're a big fan of the style. (884 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. From notes.

A: Pours a hazyish golden color. There are two fingers worth of white-colored head, and the retention is pretty terrible. No lacing is left behind. Not exactly a good-looking brew.

S: The pepper character is great: they're both sufficiently spicy and nicely fruity. It doesn't have the overdone spice of Ghost Face Killah, either. Not much else, but at least the chilies have a nice aroma to them.

T: Slightly fruity to start, with a nice peppery finish - this is hot, but not over the top at all. The problem is when you take away the chilies from the rest of the beer. The base beer is more or less a blank canvas, providing nothing else but a way to showcase the chili spice. At the end of the day, I want more than just a nice heat.

M: Good body, perhaps too much body in fact. The chili heat keeps the finish moderately dry, at least. Carbonation is low - this could certainly stand to be a bit stronger.

O: While it's pretty insipid, I think this would make a fantastic chili adjunct - it's not over the top like Ghost Face Killah, yet still brings a wonderful pepper character. Too bad that's its only real note to speak of. Try it once, if you want. (1,206 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -13.2%

Poured into a fluted tasting glass with minimal head and a golden straw color.

Smells distinctivley of chilies, most especially anaheim and Jalapeno

Well... chilies are definitely in the forefront, I really don't get much else. Leaves a tingle in the back of your throat

This beer is anything but savory and I can't ever say that one sip has convinced me whether I wish to finish. But I don't think I'm going to take another sip. You accomplished your goal, but Id rather stick to beer that tastes like beer. (511 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a clear, golden color. 1/6 inch head of a white color. Poor retention and poor lacing. Smells of strong chili, but not fresh chili, and yeast. Fits the style of a Chile Beer. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of strong chili, slight yeast, and slight pale malt. The chili does not seem to be fresh, and is so strong as to throw off any hope of a good blend. (401 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a murky light orange with a foamy bone head that fades to nothing. No lacing on the drink down. There is what appears to be wisps of oily sediment floating throughout the beer after the pour. Smell is of malt, chile pepper, and pepper juice aromas. Taste is much the same with earth, chile pepper, and pepper juice flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of chile heat that lingers on the palate long after each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an average beer with pretty solid chile aromas, but the taste has an earthy quality that reminds me of unwashed peppers.

Serving type: bottle. (657 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

- Timberline series. Anaheim, Fresno, Serrano, Jalapeno, & Habanero peppers.

A: A fizzy, dirty white head is slightly bubbly atop, and was quick to dissipate to a polished surface. Tangerine orange with a medium translucent quality ahs a misty haze of suspended floaties. Like the extra suspended material which saves this from a below average visual, most likely peppery remains.

S: Jalapeno and habenero peppers get noticed, light to medium intensity, no where near thier Ghost face killa levels.

T: Flavor had a quick sweet peppery start, some warming of heat moves in, Jalapeno and habanero come late on the swallow with a distinct character. Again managable, not over the top heat intesity like thier ghost face killa. I noticed the serrano, has a spicy mixture of sweet malt and heat that lingers with a gentle conclusion.

M: some heat, spicy and warm pepper with a light to medium body. The heat grows the longer you hold on glowing the inner cheeks with a kindering warrmth.

O: Overall drinkable, nice blend of peppers, a little sting on the backend, warming glow of peppers that make you aware but not uncomfortable. Its a chili pepper beer, plain and simple, it brings a modest display of heat range, limited range of complexity beyond the peppers and a novel approach that is somewhat decent but may fall a bit short of good. (1,346 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -7%

First off, this is not my kinda thang, but i feel I should review it for what it is... and for what it is, its a good enough beer.

Pours a somewhat very light copper colour, looks to be unfiltered or maybe theres fine bits of peppers..who knows? Heads thin, dissappears quickly.

Smells like a lager, only spicier.

Tastes like a light ale, and there is some significant spice that hits you on the finish. May not be the most pleasant, but it tasted and did exactly as im sure it was supposed to. It's a chile beer for christs sake! What did you expect it to taste like? Made with 5 peppers, its rather tame compared to what im sure could have been, but it's unfortunate that people are ripping it because of the spice.

Feels light in body, thats about it, but its not bad.

This is like a typical but spicy lager, but the spicy flavors add enough to pull it above a typical beer and make it interesting. If you like spicy things, give this a go with out question. I am in no way a parishioner of spicy anything, but I find this to be a welcomed oddity to my usually fair. May not be heaven, may lean toward hell in essence, but its worth a try no matter where your faith lies. (1,179 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -6.1%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.... (drank 1/2 the brew.... other 1/2 added to chili)

A: Poured a clear golden color with 1/2 a fingers worth of head that dissipates very quickly with no lacing.

S: Without a surprise it smells like chili peppers... Hot with a little corn sweetness mixed in... This is the best part .

T: Not bad.... a straight up simple lager right up front then the peppers kick in....

M: Light bodied, almost watery, with moderate carbonation

D: Of the other chili beers I've tried this is the best one... It is what it is a chili beer.... As for my chili I made with the other 1/2 of the beer... If was fantastic, the best chili I've ever made... I will look for this beer for my next chili. (731 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Slightly hazy adjunct lager color. The head disappeared so fast I don't remember the color. No lacing.

Aroma: Heat from peppers greets the nose.

Taste: Peppers, all the way. I only recognize Jalepeno, but I also taste green bell pepper in this, and it gives the beer some authenticity. Pepper heat and taste all around.

Mouthfeel: Hot but a light body.

Overall: Authentic and hot with heat. But nothing I'd want to session. (478 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured into a snifter from the bottle.

A-pours a very light yellow with barely a hint of copper tone. No head no lace

S-well it is no doubt exactly what it says if u blind folded me and stuck my nose in this veer I'd be more apt so say I was over a basket if peppers than a beer. Habenaro and jalepeno most prominent.

T-well it might be a beer after all. There are
very subtle undertones of malt under the heartburn inducing peppers that dominate the flavors. But just barely anything there

M-very thin and watery almost no carbonation

D-no thanks I'll be lucky to finish the glass (589 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

As you can imagine, there was a very distinct aroma and taste to this beer. It was infused with 5 different peppers and they spicy after taste lets you know they're there. Interesting, but not a favorite by any means. (217 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A: Bright lemony color. Hazy with sediment and fairly significant white foamy head.

S: Mostly pepper. Some vegetal sweetness, and slight floral fruitiness.

M: Light to moderate body with a pretty smooth feel. Low, but active moderation. Ends up a little thin.

T: A little cardboard flavor to start out. Slight metallic. Wet hay, chili and pepper spice. Little ascorbic lemon on the follow. Keeps palate warm. Slight nasal drip from spice, but not crazy. It's one of the beers you think chile of first, not a beer that happens to have chiles. (547 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured this 12 oz Chilie Beer from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Poured a clear golden color, produced an average white head, avg. retention and left little lacing on the glass.
The aroma consisted of smoked chilies. Medium bodied, a foundation of cereal grains- much like a simple lager- spicy hot chili peppers come through right away and dominate the brew. Not a lot of balance or complexity. (400 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -3.5%

Purchased this while in Florida.

Poured into a snifter. I immediately regretted this decision, as the beer isn't much to look at. With some effort i got a short white soapy head, which almost instantaneously dissipated. Good clarity. A very light, and bright brassy color.

Smells peppery, like a fresh cut jalapeno. But it also has a very oily quality to it as well.

The flavor is at first weak, and seems like a bad and bland golden ale, but slowly the heat creeps up on you. It's never very hot though, which would make this an interesting beer to pair with food. However, I was really wishing for much more heat. Habanero is used here, I feel a bit let down.

Carbonation is quite low, which I didn't care for.

Overall interesting for sure, but I think it could use some work. (783 characters)

Billy's Chilies Beer (Timberline Series) from Twisted Pine Brewing Company