Billy's Chilies Beer (Timberline Series) - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Billy's Chilies Beer (Timberline Series)Billy's Chilies Beer (Timberline Series)

Twisted Pine Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-14-2006

Our chili beer is made with five different kinds of fresh chili peppers. Rich pepper aroma greets you when the bottle is opened, followed by its satisfying beer taste and then subtle spiciness.
4.47/5  rDev +31.5%

Ah yes, a chili beer. I love unconventional ingredients in beers and nothing says unorthodox than five different hot pepper tastes crammed into one 12 ounce bottle! Pours a rich auburn color with a tight head. The smell is spicey with caspian and light pineness. Taste was what I hoped for. I could almost feel the flame roasted pepper skins on my tongue. Nice heat but not overpowering with some light hopping in the background. It was a little hard to distinguish the different peppers but I still loved it. Great beer Twisted Pine!

Appearance - poures a light, burnt copper with tiny bubbles coming up from the bottom, an off-white head foams up but quickly fades away

Smell - sweet and hot peppers hits the nose, not much else getting through

Taste - initial taste is a touch of sweetness from the base malt, then the spice and heat of the peppers takes over coating the roof of your mouth and back of your through

Mouthfeel - lightly carbonated, hot and spicy

Overall - I really enjoy this beer, not more than one and not every day, but every week or so with mexican or other spicy food, it's a nice change of pace, but if you don't like spicy food or hot peppers, than this isn't going to change your mind.

3.93/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks yet again to boatshoes. It was a little funny, I BMed him asking for a bottle of this and Ghost Face Killah. His reply was that they were both already in a box on its way to me. A serendipitick, if you will.

Poured into a New Belgium globe.

It was tough to coax out much of a head. A rough pour yielded a sliver of a white head that fades to a thick ring. There are about 10 spots of broken lace. The beer is a pale golden yellow with what appears to be a very severe chill haze.

Woah, this smells terrific! One must love peppers, like I do, to fully enjoy this aroma though. Its very far from the norm when it comes to beer aromas. It literally smells just like fresh chilies. Not particularly the hotter varieties that are in here, it seems to smell mostly like the Jalapenos. It smells green and fresh. It reminds me of the smells coming from the kitchen when my girl friend is making a pot of chili. Swirling doesn't change much. It only pulls out different types of pepper aromas. I can't find anything that is familiarly beer related, but in this instance that's quite alright.

Bah, the taste is really weird. But I can't act too surprised. It tastes mostly like a beer with vegetables in it. Luckily the finish is all chili pepper though. I'm totally getting a little bit of that wonderful Habanero flavor. Its mixed in with some distinctly Jalapeno flavors as well. The Serrano and Jalapeno flavors have me picturing some fresh home made Pico de GalloThe other 2 varieties of pepper, Anaheim and Fresno, I am less familiar with. The taste does take some getting used to, and the aftertaste is the very best part.

The carbonation starts out very strong. Too strong. i'm able to swirl some away, but it still remains quite sharp. The body is slick and doesn't feel very clean. But, and this is a big but, this beer has wonderful heat. I don't know where else to score for the amazing capsicum piquancy but here under mouthfeel. For for that reason alone it gets bumped up to 4 (where without the heat I'd put this down around 2). The heat is mostly felt in the chest, but some is noticed on the back of the tongue and lips. The heat builds as you drink and it lingers ever longer.

As someone who loves spicy food, this is a true delight. Sure, the taste isn't that great and the beer itself feels a bit on the slimy side. But none of that matters when that Scoville rush hits. So far this is the finest example of a chili beer I've ever had.

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

This is a pale, cloudy gold-colored beer with a substantial head, and chunks of yeast floating around. The nose... well, for a chile beer it's quite appropriate... lots of fresh green chile aroma. The taste follows the nose: a lot of nice vegetal chile flavor. It's not very hot. It really tastes like fresh chiles. However, there's not any other flavor apparent. I guess if you're looking for just chile, this is your beer. But the best pepper beers offer a balance of flavors. This is good, but one-dimensional.

Afternote: The first beer was ok, but two of the subsequent beers of the six pack were real gushers when opened. It might be a good idea for people to open this over a sink to prevent sadness.

3.79/5  rDev +11.5%

A very interesting beer. The name gives away the chili aspect. Pretty spicy, I love spicy food but I am not sure about my beer. With the right meal this could be a fabulous beer. I would be happy to have a few in my fridge for mexican food night. Otherwise, its a bit intense on my stomach for my beer likes. I'm not sure I'd like the next morning on a john after six of these guys.

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

A - Pours with one finger of white foam on top of a slightly hazy, golden body. The foam settles out quickly and leaves very little lace.

S - Smooth, bready malt with a sharp note of jalapenos. Smells kind of like nacho cheese.

T - Lightly sweet malt up front with a little bit of herbal hop character. The chili pepper flavors come on strong in the middle with lots of roasted pepper flavor and some subtle spiciness. The beer finishes with dry, bre

3.49/5  rDev +2.6%

12oz bottle

Billy's Chilies Beer is made with fresh anaheim, fresno, serrano, jalapeno and habanero peppers. As a fan of all of these peppers and spicy things in general, I am intrigued to try this beer.

A- Pours a slightly hazed golden yellow color with a fizzy head that quickly dissipates.

S- The aroma is a lot of spicy chilies. Not much of a beer aroma, the aroma is more like the juice of all the different peppers.

T- The taste starts out with a simple malty base beer but the peppers slowly come in an create a lingering spiciness well into the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a high amount of carbonation and some spiciness from the peppers.

D- Overall, I enjoyed this beer for what it is. It is not a beer that you are going to sit down and want to drink all night but it is a nice change of pace from the regular beer. I'd be interested to see how this beer pairs with food.

3.91/5  rDev +15%

Pours a hazy golden in color with a good bit large bubbled head.
Smells of slight pepper but with a good sweet malt undertone.
Taste is straight fresh peppers. Intensely so but there is the maltiness as well. A bit of sweetness.
The peppers burn a bit on the throat but it is nothing too strong.

A weird beer but not bad.

3.54/5  rDev +4.1%

The 5 chile peppers, laggerish. Lighter mouthfeel, lighter colour, and a little too carbonated. Still some pepper aroma and taste.Would be greater with food.Must try but one dimensional, a germ killer.Can pour onto food.Drink lots of water afterwards.

3.78/5  rDev +11.2%

12 oz into a pint

A - Pours a light golden color. Very clear. Strong head formation, bright white in color. Appears to be very carbonated.

S - This beer delivers the peppers as expected. Very spicy, seems more green pepper than habenero in the nose. As if I had just cut a fresh pepper.

T - Starts off with a bit of simple sweet malts, with peppers there but in a very light role. The peppers start to grow in the mid-stream, lots of oily peppers. Burn starts to build on the tongue, but not overbearing. Finishes with a focus on the peppers - although you can detect a fairly strong malt base here.

M - Moderate beer body, moderate carbonation. Lots of oily peppers sticking to the tongue. Comes off a bit thin at times.

D - Easy drinking - seems like the ABV is low. Can be a little bit filling. Flavors are certainly potent and dominating, but surprisingly the chilies don't create a residual hotness. Goes well with pizza.

3.42/5  rDev +0.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a murky orange-straw color with a white head that is best described as "puffy" and diminishing.

Nose is vaguely peppery and vegetal with a bse that smells like generic beer. A bit malty.

Generic mild "beer taste" (as the description on the bottle so accurately suggests) on the front end of the palate, quickly turning bold and spicy. I'm quite impressed by the sheer true spicy peppery character. A slight lingering burn reminds me of what I just drank. A pretty decent beer. Paired well with fajitas.

4.07/5  rDev +19.7%

On tap at Twisted Pine brewpub on 8/11/10.

A - Clear golden body with moderate carbonation and a frothy white head that reduced, leaving behind some splashes of lace.

S - Whoa... fresh pepper overload! Aroma simply reeks of spicy, oily peppers with just a hint of sweet malt.

T - Flavor is not as ridiculous as the nose would imply, and the sweet malt does tend to balance the cornucopia of peppers quite well. Overall, there is a nice array of spicy pepper flavor suggesting jalapeno, habanero and other chili pepper varieties as well as a slight herbal hop tinge and sweet malt notes.

M - Light bodied quite rather oily with a spicy, peppery zing on the palate that tickles the tastebuds. Finishes with a warm sting in the back of the throat.

D - This would go great with chili... or IN chili. I found this beer to be quite refreshing, actually.

3.84/5  rDev +12.9%

The head on this bubble-filled, golden egg fades quickly and in a fizzy manner.

The is aroma is just as expected: juicy chile peppers. It's mouthwatering for a pepper lover like myself.

The taste is spicy from start to finish, though it never overwhelmed me. I like the body of it, it's got a decent amount for what it is. I can't say it tastes "beery" as the the label suggests, but I don't need it to. I'm not rushing to the fridge for another, but I finished this one rather quickly. You probably want to be acclamated to spice before diving in nose and tongue first. Yum.

3.79/5  rDev +11.5%

12oz bottle into an unmarked snifter.

Rustic, goldenrod body with a crackling white head that quickly disappears. Yeast particles collect at the bottom of the glass, impeding a few sluggish trails of carbonation. Aroma hints at wheat malt and sweet taffy from afar--lean in closer and the chilies become apparent. The veggies smell fresh and green, with traces of capsaicin from the jalapeno peppers.

The flavor starts out sweet with some pale malts and light hoppiness. The peppers taste crisp and initially fresh, as in the aroma, and remind me of biting into a cold pepper seed. The finish is where this beer shines, as the heat kicks in with a spicy warmth that reminds me of a good, fresh salsa. Mouthfeel is crisp and light in both body and carbonation, which allows the delicateness of the peppers to do their thang. All in all, a very well-done Chile beer from an otherwise unimpressive Twisted Pine BrewCo.

3.24/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured into a snifter from the bottle.

A-pours a very light yellow with barely a hint of copper tone. No head no lace

S-well it is no doubt exactly what it says if u blind folded me and stuck my nose in this veer I'd be more apt so say I was over a basket if peppers than a beer. Habenaro and jalepeno most prominent.

T-well it might be a beer after all. There are
very subtle undertones of malt under the heartburn inducing peppers that dominate the flavors. But just barely anything there

M-very thin and watery almost no carbonation

D-no thanks I'll be lucky to finish the glass

2.97/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured into a fluted tasting glass with minimal head and a golden straw color.

Smells distinctivley of chilies, most especially anaheim and Jalapeno

Well... chilies are definitely in the forefront, I really don't get much else. Leaves a tingle in the back of your throat

This beer is anything but savory and I can't ever say that one sip has convinced me whether I wish to finish. But I don't think I'm going to take another sip. You accomplished your goal, but Id rather stick to beer that tastes like beer.

3.12/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a clear, golden color. 1/6 inch head of a white color. Poor retention and poor lacing. Smells of strong chili, but not fresh chili, and yeast. Fits the style of a Chile Beer. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of strong chili, slight yeast, and slight pale malt. The chili does not seem to be fresh, and is so strong as to throw off any hope of a good blend.

3.9/5  rDev +14.7%

This beer poured a golden color with a small white head that quickly dissipated into a small white film on top of the beer. The aroma was of jalapenos. The flavor was also of jalapenos with just a little bit of heat with it. I didnt think it was that hot, but I have a pretty high tolerance for hot and spicy food or drink. I liked it, but definitely not a beer for everybody. Probably would not drink more than 2 consecutive.

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

First off, this is not my kinda thang, but i feel I should review it for what it is... and for what it is, its a good enough beer.

Pours a somewhat very light copper colour, looks to be unfiltered or maybe theres fine bits of peppers..who knows? Heads thin, dissappears quickly.

Smells like a lager, only spicier.

Tastes like a light ale, and there is some significant spice that hits you on the finish. May not be the most pleasant, but it tasted and did exactly as im sure it was supposed to. It's a chile beer for christs sake! What did you expect it to taste like? Made with 5 peppers, its rather tame compared to what im sure could have been, but it's unfortunate that people are ripping it because of the spice.

Feels light in body, thats about it, but its not bad.

This is like a typical but spicy lager, but the spicy flavors add enough to pull it above a typical beer and make it interesting. If you like spicy things, give this a go with out question. I am in no way a parishioner of spicy anything, but I find this to be a welcomed oddity to my usually fair. May not be heaven, may lean toward hell in essence, but its worth a try no matter where your faith lies.

3.47/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A pale golden pour with a thin looking head. Foam breaks up rather quickly, and light lacing as it drinks.
There is a chile aroma, green and partly spicy. Some light breadyiness is apparent, but not all that strong. A grassy undertone as well.
As expected, a chile taste. Green serrano pepper taste with some green vine. Some flower enters just as the end comes in with a good chile spice. On the hot side as it finishes, but tame.

3.52/5  rDev +3.5%

12 oz bottle without a freshness date. Pours a medium gold color with a thin, limpid white foam. I usually give chile beers a break on the appearance of the foam due to the oils from the peppers always preventing a nice, stabilized head.

Nose has a few different pepper aromas I can pick out, definitely has the earthy green chilies (Hatch or Aneheim), sharp habanero and the seedy smell of a jalapeño. Really not much else beyond the peppers are detectable, which is pretty typical of the style when using some sort of golden lager as the base.

Let me preface this by saying I am a pretty big fan of chile beers, I have even brewed them a time or two myself. This one has got quite a bit of heat, not surprised if they did indeed use any amount of habanero and/or serrano. There is some mild, sweet grainy malts up front coupled with a nice earthy pepper flavor. The finish does have a little bitterness to it, but quickly followed up by some heat...and not just a bit. The heat really does not stay in the mouth, but rather migrates to the back of the throat and lingers there for quite some time. I like it, and feel it ranks above average for the style. Might be a tad too hot though, as just as much pepper flavor can be achieved without the fire.

1.68/5  rDev -50.6%

Is this a joke? Had I only had one of these, I would have been sure someone spiked my beer and then recapped it. With what, you might ask, does it taste like it has been spiked? Well, to be honest, I'd say: a rotten bell pepper, some Tabasco sauce, and a dead hamster.

I actually drank a couple of these while on a ski trip last year. I has as many from the 4-pack as I could handle, as they were almost unbearable, and decided to age one for a year (Actually, I left it with a buddy in CO and prayed that it would eventually make itself disappear, but sadly, every time I visited, it was still in his fridge.) I had hopes that with time, the chili flavors would mellow and blend. Here is the review of my revisit to Timberline hell:

A: Pours straw gold with a thin, sparse micro-bubbles and a ghost-shit head that fades to a ring around the glass.

S: Bell pepper and unpleasant vegetable flavors overpower any other aroma.

T: Honey sweetness is the only thing distinguishable beyond the head and veggie tastes from the peppers.

M: Light with decent carbonation.

D: Lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut.

So yes, even after a year, this remains the worst commercially-produced beer I have tried. The chili has not mellowed enough to make it drinkable, and again, I found myself breaking the eleventh commandment and pouring out the beer after sampling.

In almost every aspect - smell, taste, mouthfeel - this is merely an underhopped clone of bud light, but one that has been doused in fiery vegetable flavors that completely destroy any reminants of a drinkable beer.

4.7/5  rDev +38.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: golden yellow in color, minimal head, clear, moderate carbonation

Smell: chili peppers

Taste: the first taste is sweet malt, then the fire begins with a big peppery kick. There are many different pepper tastes in here.

Mouthfeel: sweet start that does not last long before the hot pepper feel. Smooth, light bodied, minimal carbonation

Drinkability: A well done beer is a well done beer and this is the new standard bearer for the style for me. I love the heat this one brings and I can feel the burn well after I have tasted my last sip. That being said this is a sipper. This has a more complex pepper taste to it than most pepper beers. I would have this one again.

3.87/5  rDev +13.8%

A=cloudy golden color with a white one finger head the dissipates rapidly to near nothing.

S=Very much what was expected jalapenos is the primary aroma of pepper that was noticed

T=spicy with the jalapeno being the pepper flavor that i was able to pick out.

M=good feel pretty light on the carbonation though

D=drinkable, but not something I would choose to have a bunch of in one sitting.

3.64/5  rDev +7.1%

Even though I really like chili beers, I'd never tried this until I saw it at the GABF.
Pours a really light straw color with almost no head. Looks like a flat macro lager...although if you look carefully you can see a ton of pepper specks floating in it.
Smells like chili peppers with a hint of beer...but not too much.
The flavor varies a bit like almost any chili beer. They use 5 varieties of pepper in this one and you can get nuances that are sometimes spicy, sometimes fruity, and sometimes more of a hearty/meaty flavor. The ale itself is pretty weak, and mileage seems to vary a lot as a result. I'll attribute that to the crazy amount of peppers, but it's a weakness for sure. Maybe freshness is a must, too? Some sips are really bold and flavorful, and some are borderline like a macro-lager.
Mouthfeel's thin, which I'd actually consider a strength. A thick chili beer is usually torture.
Drinkability is going to forever be limited to 1 bottle, 2 max. It's just how the style works. If you take that into account, it's one of the easier drinking versions of a chili beer.

If it were a little more consistent this could potentially be the best chili beer around. As it is, it's still a contender. Considering the other really good ones have been tap-only (like Sigda's from Coopersmith's), this is the best bottled version I've had.

Billy's Chilies Beer (Timberline Series) from Twisted Pine Brewing Company