Billy's Chilies Beer (Timberline Series) - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Billy's Chilies Beer (Timberline Series)Billy's Chilies Beer (Timberline Series)

Twisted Pine Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-14-2006

Our chili beer is made with five different kinds of fresh chili peppers. Rich pepper aroma greets you when the bottle is opened, followed by its satisfying beer taste and then subtle spiciness.
Ratings: 243 | Reviews: 90
2.73/5  rDev -18%

12 fl oz bottle served in a pint glass, reviewed live:

A - A soapy white head of 1.5 fingers sits on top of a transparent, straw golden color. Retention is quite bad, but it leaves a small amount of lacing.

S -Roasted green chilies, jalepenos, and refined barley. It's hard to detect much else in the aroma with the overbearing nose of the peppers.

T - Basic pale malt and adjunct flavors open. A bit of floral hops try to come through but they're overmatched. Strong sweet/roasty/fruity peppers dominate the palate from climax to finish, lingering with a little spiciness on the tongue. It's built better than any other chili beer I've ever had (then again that's not saying much as every one I've had was complete crap).

M - Light bodied and crisp. Probably ideal for the style.

D - I'd drink this one again, though it's not sessionable by any stretch. I compliment the brewers for attempting to build a chili beer around a decent foundation. Certainly the best attempt at the style I've come across.

3.42/5  rDev +2.7%

No freshness date. Poured into a stange glass.

Body is slightly hazy and straw colored under a quick to fall finger of white head.

Smells of sweet pale malts with just a faint touch of hops, and sweet chilies. There is a faint smell of "hot", but mostly it is just the sweet smell of a fresh cut pepper.

On the tongue this tastes like a sweet lager (with real malted barley for most or all of the grain bill) and just enough hops to clean it up. Maybe even like a filtered blonde ale. The chilies come to the surface quickly and tastes predominantly sweet. A little heat shows up in the end but it is minimal. Overall this is a nice flavor, and the fresh qualities of the peppers do shine well (I could go for more however).

The mouthfeel includes a subtle oiliness (maybe my imagination) or something that reminds me of eating a fresh hot pepper. Otherwise it is pretty standard for a lighter lager.

Conclusion: My first chilie beer, and I like it quite a bit. I love hot food and almost any type of chilie I have ever tasted, and of course I love beer so the two together is very tasty. For this particular beer however, I could go for more chilie flavor and heat, but the way it is works well too.

3.3/5  rDev -0.9%

Purchased this while in Florida.

Poured into a snifter. I immediately regretted this decision, as the beer isn't much to look at. With some effort i got a short white soapy head, which almost instantaneously dissipated. Good clarity. A very light, and bright brassy color.

Smells peppery, like a fresh cut jalapeno. But it also has a very oily quality to it as well.

The flavor is at first weak, and seems like a bad and bland golden ale, but slowly the heat creeps up on you. It's never very hot though, which would make this an interesting beer to pair with food. However, I was really wishing for much more heat. Habanero is used here, I feel a bit let down.

Carbonation is quite low, which I didn't care for.

Overall interesting for sure, but I think it could use some work.

3.68/5  rDev +10.5%

I picked up a bottle of this one at a liquor store recently (to drink next to Ghost Face). Light golden color with a decent white head. Aromas of biscuit, light chiles and sweet malt. Crisp and refreshing, with a little heat and flavors of chiles, biscuit and sweet malt.

3.97/5  rDev +19.2%

Looks like "beer" in the TV commercial sense, yellow and fizzy.

This smells exactly like those Dorito's Jalapeno Cheddar crackers I buy at work. Not much else going on, but the peppers do smell fresh.

Not surprisingly, I taste peppers. Fresh peppers up front with a little sweet malt in there that fades to some pretty strong heat. The finish is fairly balanced sweet and hot with a lingering tingle.

The feel is apropriately light, yet not watery in the least.

Overall, this is pretty good for what it is.

3.99/5  rDev +19.8%

This is like a good (or at least better) version of Cave Creek Chili Beer. The brew is a pale straw-gold, translucent, and generally projects an Adjunct Lager look; aside from the pepper addition, it is like an AAL in all respects. The nose is quite akin to the spicy nacho cheese cup that you get with the chips at the movie theater; it is not bad, however, it is more like a guilty pleasure, or a harkening to days past. The flavor reiterates the theme with equal parts corn-chip and spicy serrano-jalapeno flavor. It is admittedly just a hair's breadth away from being a debacle, and yet it retains that hair's distance above. It is in that precise nailing of flavor that Billy's Chilies makes its mark; it is not just gimmicky, it is a paradigm of frill-added merchandise.

4.47/5  rDev +34.2%

Ah yes, a chili beer. I love unconventional ingredients in beers and nothing says unorthodox than five different hot pepper tastes crammed into one 12 ounce bottle! Pours a rich auburn color with a tight head. The smell is spicey with caspian and light pineness. Taste was what I hoped for. I could almost feel the flame roasted pepper skins on my tongue. Nice heat but not overpowering with some light hopping in the background. It was a little hard to distinguish the different peppers but I still loved it. Great beer Twisted Pine!

Appearance - poures a light, burnt copper with tiny bubbles coming up from the bottom, an off-white head foams up but quickly fades away

Smell - sweet and hot peppers hits the nose, not much else getting through

Taste - initial taste is a touch of sweetness from the base malt, then the spice and heat of the peppers takes over coating the roof of your mouth and back of your through

Mouthfeel - lightly carbonated, hot and spicy

Overall - I really enjoy this beer, not more than one and not every day, but every week or so with mexican or other spicy food, it's a nice change of pace, but if you don't like spicy food or hot peppers, than this isn't going to change your mind.

3.93/5  rDev +18%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks yet again to boatshoes. It was a little funny, I BMed him asking for a bottle of this and Ghost Face Killah. His reply was that they were both already in a box on its way to me. A serendipitick, if you will.

Poured into a New Belgium globe.

Appearance
It was tough to coax out much of a head. A rough pour yielded a sliver of a white head that fades to a thick ring. There are about 10 spots of broken lace. The beer is a pale golden yellow with what appears to be a very severe chill haze.

Aroma
Woah, this smells terrific! One must love peppers, like I do, to fully enjoy this aroma though. Its very far from the norm when it comes to beer aromas. It literally smells just like fresh chilies. Not particularly the hotter varieties that are in here, it seems to smell mostly like the Jalapenos. It smells green and fresh. It reminds me of the smells coming from the kitchen when my girl friend is making a pot of chili. Swirling doesn't change much. It only pulls out different types of pepper aromas. I can't find anything that is familiarly beer related, but in this instance that's quite alright.

Taste
Bah, the taste is really weird. But I can't act too surprised. It tastes mostly like a beer with vegetables in it. Luckily the finish is all chili pepper though. I'm totally getting a little bit of that wonderful Habanero flavor. Its mixed in with some distinctly Jalapeno flavors as well. The Serrano and Jalapeno flavors have me picturing some fresh home made Pico de GalloThe other 2 varieties of pepper, Anaheim and Fresno, I am less familiar with. The taste does take some getting used to, and the aftertaste is the very best part.

Mouthfeel
The carbonation starts out very strong. Too strong. i'm able to swirl some away, but it still remains quite sharp. The body is slick and doesn't feel very clean. But, and this is a big but, this beer has wonderful heat. I don't know where else to score for the amazing capsicum piquancy but here under mouthfeel. For for that reason alone it gets bumped up to 4 (where without the heat I'd put this down around 2). The heat is mostly felt in the chest, but some is noticed on the back of the tongue and lips. The heat builds as you drink and it lingers ever longer.

Overall
As someone who loves spicy food, this is a true delight. Sure, the taste isn't that great and the beer itself feels a bit on the slimy side. But none of that matters when that Scoville rush hits. So far this is the finest example of a chili beer I've ever had.

3.65/5  rDev +9.6%

This is a pale, cloudy gold-colored beer with a substantial head, and chunks of yeast floating around. The nose... well, for a chile beer it's quite appropriate... lots of fresh green chile aroma. The taste follows the nose: a lot of nice vegetal chile flavor. It's not very hot. It really tastes like fresh chiles. However, there's not any other flavor apparent. I guess if you're looking for just chile, this is your beer. But the best pepper beers offer a balance of flavors. This is good, but one-dimensional.

Afternote: The first beer was ok, but two of the subsequent beers of the six pack were real gushers when opened. It might be a good idea for people to open this over a sink to prevent sadness.

3.79/5  rDev +13.8%

A very interesting beer. The name gives away the chili aspect. Pretty spicy, I love spicy food but I am not sure about my beer. With the right meal this could be a fabulous beer. I would be happy to have a few in my fridge for mexican food night. Otherwise, its a bit intense on my stomach for my beer likes. I'm not sure I'd like the next morning on a john after six of these guys.

3.45/5  rDev +3.6%

A - Pours with one finger of white foam on top of a slightly hazy, golden body. The foam settles out quickly and leaves very little lace.

S - Smooth, bready malt with a sharp note of jalapenos. Smells kind of like nacho cheese.

T - Lightly sweet malt up front with a little bit of herbal hop character. The chili pepper flavors come on strong in the middle with lots of roasted pepper flavor and some subtle spiciness. The beer finishes with dry, bre

3.49/5  rDev +4.8%

12oz bottle

Billy's Chilies Beer is made with fresh anaheim, fresno, serrano, jalapeno and habanero peppers. As a fan of all of these peppers and spicy things in general, I am intrigued to try this beer.

A- Pours a slightly hazed golden yellow color with a fizzy head that quickly dissipates.

S- The aroma is a lot of spicy chilies. Not much of a beer aroma, the aroma is more like the juice of all the different peppers.

T- The taste starts out with a simple malty base beer but the peppers slowly come in an create a lingering spiciness well into the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a high amount of carbonation and some spiciness from the peppers.

D- Overall, I enjoyed this beer for what it is. It is not a beer that you are going to sit down and want to drink all night but it is a nice change of pace from the regular beer. I'd be interested to see how this beer pairs with food.

3.91/5  rDev +17.4%

Pours a hazy golden in color with a good bit large bubbled head.
Smells of slight pepper but with a good sweet malt undertone.
Taste is straight fresh peppers. Intensely so but there is the maltiness as well. A bit of sweetness.
The peppers burn a bit on the throat but it is nothing too strong.

A weird beer but not bad.

3.54/5  rDev +6.3%

The 5 chile peppers, laggerish. Lighter mouthfeel, lighter colour, and a little too carbonated. Still some pepper aroma and taste.Would be greater with food.Must try but one dimensional, a germ killer.Can pour onto food.Drink lots of water afterwards.

3.78/5  rDev +13.5%

12 oz into a pint

A - Pours a light golden color. Very clear. Strong head formation, bright white in color. Appears to be very carbonated.

S - This beer delivers the peppers as expected. Very spicy, seems more green pepper than habenero in the nose. As if I had just cut a fresh pepper.

T - Starts off with a bit of simple sweet malts, with peppers there but in a very light role. The peppers start to grow in the mid-stream, lots of oily peppers. Burn starts to build on the tongue, but not overbearing. Finishes with a focus on the peppers - although you can detect a fairly strong malt base here.

M - Moderate beer body, moderate carbonation. Lots of oily peppers sticking to the tongue. Comes off a bit thin at times.

D - Easy drinking - seems like the ABV is low. Can be a little bit filling. Flavors are certainly potent and dominating, but surprisingly the chilies don't create a residual hotness. Goes well with pizza.

3.42/5  rDev +2.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a murky orange-straw color with a white head that is best described as "puffy" and diminishing.

Nose is vaguely peppery and vegetal with a bse that smells like generic beer. A bit malty.

Generic mild "beer taste" (as the description on the bottle so accurately suggests) on the front end of the palate, quickly turning bold and spicy. I'm quite impressed by the sheer true spicy peppery character. A slight lingering burn reminds me of what I just drank. A pretty decent beer. Paired well with fajitas.

4.07/5  rDev +22.2%

On tap at Twisted Pine brewpub on 8/11/10.

A - Clear golden body with moderate carbonation and a frothy white head that reduced, leaving behind some splashes of lace.

S - Whoa... fresh pepper overload! Aroma simply reeks of spicy, oily peppers with just a hint of sweet malt.

T - Flavor is not as ridiculous as the nose would imply, and the sweet malt does tend to balance the cornucopia of peppers quite well. Overall, there is a nice array of spicy pepper flavor suggesting jalapeno, habanero and other chili pepper varieties as well as a slight herbal hop tinge and sweet malt notes.

M - Light bodied quite rather oily with a spicy, peppery zing on the palate that tickles the tastebuds. Finishes with a warm sting in the back of the throat.

D - This would go great with chili... or IN chili. I found this beer to be quite refreshing, actually.

3.84/5  rDev +15.3%

The head on this bubble-filled, golden egg fades quickly and in a fizzy manner.

The is aroma is just as expected: juicy chile peppers. It's mouthwatering for a pepper lover like myself.

The taste is spicy from start to finish, though it never overwhelmed me. I like the body of it, it's got a decent amount for what it is. I can't say it tastes "beery" as the the label suggests, but I don't need it to. I'm not rushing to the fridge for another, but I finished this one rather quickly. You probably want to be acclamated to spice before diving in nose and tongue first. Yum.

3.79/5  rDev +13.8%

12oz bottle into an unmarked snifter.

Rustic, goldenrod body with a crackling white head that quickly disappears. Yeast particles collect at the bottom of the glass, impeding a few sluggish trails of carbonation. Aroma hints at wheat malt and sweet taffy from afar--lean in closer and the chilies become apparent. The veggies smell fresh and green, with traces of capsaicin from the jalapeno peppers.

The flavor starts out sweet with some pale malts and light hoppiness. The peppers taste crisp and initially fresh, as in the aroma, and remind me of biting into a cold pepper seed. The finish is where this beer shines, as the heat kicks in with a spicy warmth that reminds me of a good, fresh salsa. Mouthfeel is crisp and light in both body and carbonation, which allows the delicateness of the peppers to do their thang. All in all, a very well-done Chile beer from an otherwise unimpressive Twisted Pine BrewCo.

3.24/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured into a snifter from the bottle.

A-pours a very light yellow with barely a hint of copper tone. No head no lace

S-well it is no doubt exactly what it says if u blind folded me and stuck my nose in this veer I'd be more apt so say I was over a basket if peppers than a beer. Habenaro and jalepeno most prominent.

T-well it might be a beer after all. There are
very subtle undertones of malt under the heartburn inducing peppers that dominate the flavors. But just barely anything there

M-very thin and watery almost no carbonation

D-no thanks I'll be lucky to finish the glass

2.97/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured into a fluted tasting glass with minimal head and a golden straw color.

Smells distinctivley of chilies, most especially anaheim and Jalapeno

Well... chilies are definitely in the forefront, I really don't get much else. Leaves a tingle in the back of your throat

This beer is anything but savory and I can't ever say that one sip has convinced me whether I wish to finish. But I don't think I'm going to take another sip. You accomplished your goal, but Id rather stick to beer that tastes like beer.

3.12/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a clear, golden color. 1/6 inch head of a white color. Poor retention and poor lacing. Smells of strong chili, but not fresh chili, and yeast. Fits the style of a Chile Beer. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of strong chili, slight yeast, and slight pale malt. The chili does not seem to be fresh, and is so strong as to throw off any hope of a good blend.

3.9/5  rDev +17.1%

This beer poured a golden color with a small white head that quickly dissipated into a small white film on top of the beer. The aroma was of jalapenos. The flavor was also of jalapenos with just a little bit of heat with it. I didnt think it was that hot, but I have a pretty high tolerance for hot and spicy food or drink. I liked it, but definitely not a beer for everybody. Probably would not drink more than 2 consecutive.

3.18/5  rDev -4.5%

First off, this is not my kinda thang, but i feel I should review it for what it is... and for what it is, its a good enough beer.

Pours a somewhat very light copper colour, looks to be unfiltered or maybe theres fine bits of peppers..who knows? Heads thin, dissappears quickly.

Smells like a lager, only spicier.

Tastes like a light ale, and there is some significant spice that hits you on the finish. May not be the most pleasant, but it tasted and did exactly as im sure it was supposed to. It's a chile beer for christs sake! What did you expect it to taste like? Made with 5 peppers, its rather tame compared to what im sure could have been, but it's unfortunate that people are ripping it because of the spice.

Feels light in body, thats about it, but its not bad.

This is like a typical but spicy lager, but the spicy flavors add enough to pull it above a typical beer and make it interesting. If you like spicy things, give this a go with out question. I am in no way a parishioner of spicy anything, but I find this to be a welcomed oddity to my usually fair. May not be heaven, may lean toward hell in essence, but its worth a try no matter where your faith lies.

Billy's Chilies Beer (Timberline Series) from Twisted Pine Brewing Company