Reilly's Oak Whiskey Red - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 06-05-2008

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 56 | Reviews: 36
3.8/5  rDev +8.6%

Presentation: 12 oz short botlte, came in a 4 pack. Label has a picture of the brewery's resident dog laying in front of some barrels. No date.

Appearance: Pours cloudy red color, huge froth head that fades slowly and leaves quite a bit of lacing as it does.

Smell: Sour, lots of vanilla, some oaky smells I normally associate with bourbon.

Taste: Again, definitely lots of bourbon flavor here - vanilla and oak. But there is also an interesting fruit flavor in the background, less dark fruit than I would expect, almost a citrus or tropical flavor.

Overall impression: I'm a bourbon fan, and really enjoy this beer. If you don't enjoy bourbon flavors, you won't enjoy this - but I think there are a lot of interesting flavors here to be enjoyed.

4.24/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer pours a murky reddish brown color, with a huge tan colored head. The massive head fades slowly, and makes we wonder if I got a bad bottle.

This beer smells subtly of Whiskey. It has a nice vanilla aroma as well. It has an oaky wood aroma as well. Very nice.

This beer tastes much like it smells. Some subtle Whiskey, but not overpowering. Vanilla and wood follow.

This beer is highly carbonated, and I wish it was a little less carbonated. It leaves a vanilla and oak like aftertaste.

This beer might not be the best session beer. It has a good flavor, but too many would be hard. Also, I believe the alcohol content is a bit high.

Overall: Thanks to mentor for this great hook up. You are a great man, and this beer is great too.

2.97/5  rDev -15.1%

Sit dog, sit. Pours a mostly clear darker ruby red color with some brown hues throughout. A big bubbled head that quickly dissipated to the edge and eventually faded completely. Not much lacing.

The nose is noticeably oaky but lacks any beer descriptors. A mostly woody aroma with some off whiskey notes. A touch of vanilla. There are some yeasty notes though. Some noticeable esters, plums, cherrys and figs. No real malt notes though.

The taste is more in balance. The malt comes out with a sugary caramel notes coming out nicely. Some toasted notes that are boarder line astringent but not bad. The oak is present as well but not as dominate as the nose indicated. Some off whiskey notes as well, gives some heat flavor. Almost like a cheap whiskey flavor. Some esters and heat from the yeast.

Body is moderate. A somewhat sugary feel but not under attenuated. Carbonation is light. Overall for the oak presence in this one, there just needs to have more complexity and depth.

4.47/5  rDev +27.7%

As another advocate has pointed out: If you are not a fan of bourbon then you might want to stay away from this beer.

A hard pour doesn't get much head in my glass. what little is there doesn't stay around much, it quickly ending as a thin ring where the beer meets the glass. A hazy dark amber color with some carbonation.

The scent is a very faint bourbon odor. I know from past tastings (both bottle and on tap) that sometimes it is very strong or can go the opposite direction.

Flavors or bourbon, vanilla, and even a bit of caramel comes from the first sip. The oaked bourbon lingers in the back on the throat and tongue. It is very smooth. The bottle doesn't say what the actual ABV is but since it is just Twisted Pine's Red Mountian scottish ale aged differently that the two are about the same in levels. While the beer tastes strong and the flavor lingers a while in my mouth, it doesn't feel overpowering.

I love this beer. This and other beers like it have me interestedin bourbon while it has also giving me a way to show off great craft beers to bourbon lovers. A coworker of mine after sampling a bottle is hooked and has me looking for more exceptional bourbon aged beers.

Picked this up on a recent trip to Denver and Wyoming.

Pours a reddish brown color with a thick, creamy off-white head and some lacing.

Vanilla and wood aromas dominate, with some peach flavors.

Vanilla, bourbon and wood flavors dominate with some subtle peach flavor in the background. Also detect some mild spiciness.

Rich and creamy with a medium-body mouthfeel to it.

I thought it was fairly easy to drink. Had a nice balanced flavor - just enough bourbon flavor without it being overpowering. A very good beer.

3.83/5  rDev +9.4%

Thanks goes out to Bitterbill for this brew.

Pours a cloudy amber color, nice carbonation, nice two-finger creamy off-white head, with some very nice creamy sticky lacing left behind. Then nose is malty, with some notes of peach, oak/bourbon. The taste is malty, slightly sour, with some oak/bourbon tones. Medium body, this is a creamy/smooth brew. Drinkable, this is my first Twisted Pine brew, not too bad, thanks Bill.

3.93/5  rDev +12.3%

This pours a hazy, nah, more of a cloudy rust colour with a nice 2 finger head of foam.

The smell sure does have a strong presence of bourbon but I also get a slight nose of citrus but I had to really sniff a lot to get it.

The taste is TEH BOURBON. Sorry for shouting but that intial sip screamed bourbon and I had to reflect that in my review. ;^) Btw, I *do* like bourbon so no problems yet.

There are more flavours here...some good vanilla and toffee, some fruitiness, a slight tartness mid palate, and the finish has a nice bitterish kick to it. Nice. And there's definitely some warming here after the swallow so the drinkability suffers somewhat.

The moutheel initially feels like it's on the thick side(very silky) but overall, I'd call it medium. Good stuff! Btw, the head retention is first class as there's still about a 1" solid layer and I'm down to the last 1/3rd of my glass.

Ok, I've had a few barrel aged brews before. Some I liked, some I didn't. This one tasted different enough to keep me interested for the entire session and I take my hat off, yet again, for this small Colorado brewery. Well done Twisted Pine! I'd buy it again.

3.13/5  rDev -10.6%

Autumn color. Full long lasting foam. Aroma has different dimensions. Notes of bourbon with vanilla and oak as well as a lot of tropical fruit notes from the hops. Oak whiskey flavor of vanilla and whiskey. Very light texture. Hardly any malt characteristics. Tropical fruit hoppiness, which blends decently with the barrel aging. Very watery texture. Not very flavorful or complex. I don't see how this could achieve the accolades it did.

3.11/5  rDev -11.1%

12 oz bottle. Pours a reddish brown with a fine off-white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is sweet sugary caramel malts, cola, dark fruits and bourbon.

The flavor is pretty subdued - sweet caramel malts and cola with a touch of harsh bitter alcohol in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, not that great. It's a bit of a mish mash with some harsh alcohol that I don't care for.

3.37/5  rDev -3.7%

Review based on notes

Pours an orangey amber with 1 finger of sand colored head. Average lacing & head retention

S: Oakyness & that's it

T: Dry, some caramel & brown sugar up front. More dryness as this warms. Finishes very oaky & dry with some caramel & vanilla

MF: Syruppy with minimal carbonation

Drinks alright, too damn oaky & dry for me, nothing special here

4.07/5  rDev +16.3%

GABF 2007 gold medal winner for barrel aged beer.
Pretty interesting item. It's not exactly well publicized that this comes from Twisted Pine unless you look really carefully.
Pours a pretty dark brown color with a little bit of head on the top, but not too much. It's somehwat murky and not a lot of light is making it through this one. There's no ABV listing, but it looks to be moderately strong based on the carbonation.
Smells pretty divine. Bourbon being the primary flavor, with a malty caramel sweetness following up.
The taste combines vanilla, lots of bourbon, caramel, chocolate, and a brown-ale like nuttiness. Probably the most potent bourbon flavors I've ever tasted in a beer, yet they don't kill off everything else. The vanilla and nuttiness are definitely there in full force. The whiskey flavors come on strong, but they're really only on the front end. Nice! Reminds me of a whiskey barleywine, but with a brown ale's texture.
Goes down easy and smooth. I polished one off pretty quickly and could've had another. It also made a really good pairing with some gravy beef tips. I don't know how strong it is, but I'd imagine it's in the 7-8% range. I think the whiskey overtones make you think it's stronger that it probably is. I don't think I'd ever drink more than 2, but that's just the nature of the style, too.
I'll revist this one for sure. I've had quite a few beers like this at the GABF, but this one takes the cake for actually getting lots of new flavor from the whiskey barrel.

(Edit): After bottle #2 I realized that if someone really doesn't like Bourbon...you'll want to seriously avoid this beer. This time around the whiskey flavors came on a little stronger. I suppose it makes sense considering this was truly aged in a barrel and the flavor pockets might be a little uneven. Either way, this is not for those who don't care for bourbon.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »