2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ghost Face Killah - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Ghost Face KillahGhost Face Killah

Twisted Pine Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-11-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 400 | Reviews: 139 | Show All Ratings:
Richardbeerlover

3.43/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice gold with a white head that dissipates super quick. First whiff will cause you to cough. Initial sip is pretty good and you can taste some pepper. It takes a secon or two but then you feel the burn. Has a nice body to it and I really liked this beer. I would not drink it every day but I can enjoy this once or twice a year. If you like hit and spicy this beer is for you. My nose is still running as I write this!

03-18-2014 02:54:52 | More by Richardbeerlover
BurgeoningBrewhead

3.8/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into fluted snifter; looks like an IPA, golden yellow-orange with a moderate white head that fades quickly, fizzy.
Smells of all chiles. Chipotle, green jalapeno, very crisp vegetal chile scent that is really appetizing. Not much hint of the hotter habanero or ghost peppers in the smell, except for a ghostly twang in the nostril at the very end of a hard, close sniff.
Taste...not nearly as hot as everyone made it out to be. Then again, I love spicy things. Anyways, it starts off with some smooth, slightly sweet corn malt. Your tongue begins to tingle as it explores your mouth. Then on the swallow, it's all pepper. Mostly smoky and that generic "pepper" taste that most chile beers have, along with a hefty dose of spice. But not enough to even cause me discomfort...it reminded me of a very strong ginger beer. Very spicy on the throat and in the nose, but does no lasting damage.
Mouthfeel is thin and slick; the latter quality may be helped by the pepper oils.
Overall, this beer is a novelty. I'm glad I found it and got to try it, but I wouldn't pick it up again. There's no malt backbone at all, so as beer quality goes it's pretty poor. However, I don't think it's meant to be anything but a super-spicy novelty beer, and it achieves that very well. But it's worth picking up once to try, if only to say you did. Don't fear the "ghost pepper;" it's nowhere near as spicy as anything else I've had with ghost chiles.

03-16-2014 22:14:34 | More by BurgeoningBrewhead
tkdchampxi

3.35/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Glad I got to try such a talked-about beer. It was every bit as spicy as I had hoped and imagined. Unfortunately, it just did not have any body, malt, or hop profile to back it up. Those who've described it as a AAL infused with peppers are exactly right.

A: a total let-down clear yellowish beer with a frothy white head. Just looks like an AAL with a more creamy head.

S: smells spicy. This was actually nice and gave me the heat I wanted - practically burned my nostrils. However, there was nothing else on the nose except the spice. No malt or hops. Maybe just a subtle corn scent.

T: this might as well be miller lite infused with a ton of chili peppers. It tastes spicy at first then nothing except a vague corniness.

M: carbonation is fine, but the whole thing is way too thin. I feel like this'd level of spice would be better suited to something more oily our creamy.

03-15-2014 04:28:11 | More by tkdchampxi
Yelp-Greg-D

2.35/5  rDev -23.2%

Well I've been reading Beer Advocate for years and finally created an account just to review this liquid. Am a home brewer and just finish (drinking) a batch of Red Ale with Serranos from my garden. Miss that beer already so tried a single bottle of this. Actually I have taken two small sips of it and will not be drinking anymore. It's hot as hell. I will be using the rest for a chicken marinade.

I admire what they have pulled off and it's one I will never forget. I will probably remember it very clearly tomorrow as well. It's clear, yellowish gold with no head and a maddening and confusing slam of heat and sting.

02-27-2014 01:39:20 | More by Yelp-Greg-D
GarthDanielson

3.28/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint, the beer is a bright, slightly hazed, golden coloring with a ton of carbonation and no head. Aromas of peppers forward and bold. Wowzers. You get a lot of the dark and roasted notes of the Serrano and Anaheim peppers, but also the nose-blistering sheer heat from the ghost face and habanero. It smells hot as shit, but I like that kind of thing, which explains my mouth watering right now. Flavors are kind of mild initially, with a warming and pepper spice on the backbone, but that is immediately followed up with a blast of hot, both in spice and actual temperature. There is a golden-style type flavor somewhere in there, but it gets absolutely pummeled by the cascade of pepper spice and heat. The body is light and smooth, and the aftertaste is...wait for it...peppers. Again, more spice than anything, but the heat remains throughout, as well, only starting to subside in the finish. The finish is fairly quick, and somewhat unremarkable based on the fact that your taste buds are shot at this point. This was a fun one to try.

02-25-2014 00:34:50 | More by GarthDanielson
tikk

2.96/5  rDev -3.3%

Why does this exist?

When I bought it the staff told me not to do it. I had to try it, aka tick it off.

Pours a reddish hazy gold, very little head even with a vigorous pour.

Smells like hot peppers.

Tastes exactly as it smells, layers of hot peppers with an intense burn at the end.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery, my least favorite part of it, not tons of body nothing backing up the heat.

Overall I feel like they accomplished what they were going for, I have to respect them for that.

I wouldn't have more than one, and I'm sure I'll regret it tomorrow, but I would recommended you try it.

02-24-2014 04:12:16 | More by tikk
Brushkanna

1.1/5  rDev -64.1%

A - looks like a lager nothing to talk about there
S - the smell is all hot sauce, I do not get any beer smell
T - to hot, it was amusing to taste as a novelty but there is no need to ever buy another one of these - Just drink some “HOT” hot sauce and you will feel like you had this one
M - burns your mouth slowly
O - this is not a beer for drinking, but maybe it would be good as a base for chili -or- just forget it, it sucks

02-14-2014 18:41:40 | More by Brushkanna
Beejay

3.21/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

A: A dusty straw color, with a large white head that rapidly turns into fish eyes, then dissipates entirely.

S: There are definitely chilies in there. Smells like a combination of fresh, as well as roasted chilies. There is a lovely smokiness to it, like chipotle chili powder. Very interesting..

T: Holy hell that beer is hot! whew!! It starts sweet, with some nice grain notes, as you swallow there is a very nice smoky chili flavor, the finish is all heat. Burns going down, that beer is hot. The base beer really isn't bad, and the smoky flavor is quite delicious, although the heat is fairly substantial.

M: Medium low carbonation, and while the beer is cold, the mouthfeel is hot. The finish on this thing lingers on like crazy...

O: Overall the beer is just way too hot, although I suppose that that is kinda the point. Interesting to experience, but make sure you have at least 4 other people with you to split this with, or dump the whole thing into a pot of beans, and beef and make some damn spicy chili. Overall score is low, simply because you can't finish the damn thing.

01-22-2014 03:06:13 | More by Beejay
metter98

3.15/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.25

A: The beer is relatively clear deep yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin white head that quickly died down, leaving delicate lacing on the surface and a thin collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate to strong aromas of chili pepper varieties are present in the nose.
T: Much like the smell, the taste has a mélange of different chili pepper flavors that linger through the finish and persist into the finish.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation along with an intense amount of heat from the chili peppers. The heat doesn't really go away.
O: This beer actually has nice complexity in the smell and taste for a chili beer as you can detect sever of the different types of peppers; however I would consider this to be undrinkable unless you are a person that can easily handle buffalo wings with suicidal hot sauce.

01-01-2014 04:26:10 | More by metter98
smakawhat

Maryland

2.33/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured from the bottle into a.. does it matter? A globe snifter.

A deep orange and yellow body, opaque, with no sense of anything even alive in here totally lifeless. Head barely forms half a finger of bleach white color, and fizzes out in snap sounding carbonation and dies instantly. No collar, no lacing. The beer looks like Tang in a glass.

The nose does deliver. It's a very nice smoking pepper heat, with very green and garden like smelling. Fresh, no sweetness, no acid or burning sensations. Makes me thirsty and mouthwatering just smelling it. However, there is nothing else going on here.

Palate is what it is. Quite warm chilis, but tolerable if you like that sort of thing but it comes out more as just hot black pepper than the green peppery smokey sensations on the nose. The mouthfeel on this really does not help, it's so watery and lifeless.

I wish this had some body, or even a pinch of sweetness. There is nothing beer tasting about this not even any malt presence to back it up. For novelty or chili heads only, not for beer fans.

11-01-2013 00:05:40 | More by smakawhat
jaasen64

2.79/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

12pz bottle poured into Gandhi Bot tulip. Thanks Josh (thebigredone) for this unique extra.

A- Pours a slightly hazy translucent golden with about a finger of white head that recedes fairly fast, decent carbonation with nice consistency.

S- Harsh peppers, pepper seeds, Tabasco sauce, grass. Definitely not the most pleasant smelling beer but what do you expect from having so many different peppers in this.

T- Starts off with some light orangey sweetness with a little bit of corn starch and earthy peppers that provide some heat. Finishes with a dry pepper taste bringing out a much more intense heat that lingers for a long time. The pepper heat on the finish basically kills any other flavors there might be. Far from the hottest thing I've tried, but easily the hottest beer I've had.

M- Extremely dry which brings out the pepper heat more, decent carbonation, medium bodied.

O- This is definitely a novelty beer and not exactly a beer that is meant to be "enjoyed", they designed this beers or sole purpose to be as hot as possible. This is one of the beers we did at a big chili beer tasting and it was definitely the hottest one there although others had "ghost" and "scorpion" peppers. This isn't something you want a full glass of, they probably should have bottled it in 4-6oz nip bottles as those would have been more then plenty. An interesting beer to try especially if you are into hot stuff, but not something I'd be itching to try again.

10-20-2013 19:07:16 | More by jaasen64
Bosoxfan20

Missouri

I had to give this beer that is billed as "the hottest beer in the world" a try when I saw it on the shelf of my local store. And hot it most certainly is! There were about 6 of us that sampled it- some said moderately hot, but others like myself thought it was flaming hot. The flavor wasn't all that bad before the incredible heat set in. But it is what it is...a novelty, yet interesting, beer to be shared with friends to see who can handle the heat.

10-16-2013 02:42:20 | More by Bosoxfan20
dbrauneis

2.68/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A: Pours a crystal clear medium yellow in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some medium golden yellow highlights. The beer has a three finger tall sudsy off-white head that reduces to a medium thick film covering the entire surface of the beer with a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of pureed hot peppers and lots of them (similar to the smell that I got when I was making homemade hot sauce but even spicier). Slight vegetal aromas as well.

T: Upfront there are faint flavors of grainy malts but that is quickly overtaken by the flavors of the hot peppers/chiles. The heat from the hot peppers definitely builds as you continue to drink this beer - not so hot as to be not consumable but certainly not a real enjoyable flavor.

M: Just shy of medium bodied with slightly less than moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly watery.

O: I think this beer could have been much better with the presence of a strong citrus hop flavor/aromas (possibly lemon or lime). There is some heat to this beer and drinking the entire bottle on your own is a chore - the first few sips are interesting but then it is just tedious. Glad I tried this one (test of one's enjoyment of hot peppers) but I do not think I will be getting another of these - on a side note, I was a little worried that I was becoming immune to pepper heat but this established I can still taste it.

10-15-2013 20:18:09 | More by dbrauneis
sjones5045

1.3/5  rDev -57.5%

Since I like heat in my beer I thought there might be something redeeming about this one. Once I cracked it I realized that the likelihood of this being poured down the drain is high.

Once poured it looks like a severely watered down ice tea. Maybe the only thing about this beer actually that isn't bad is the head which is ok. After the beer settles down it looks like a cider beer.

The smell is horrific. Not really sure how to describe it, and maybe it's best not to try. I'll just leave it as horrific.

The taste, well it's pure burn. Now I'll be the first to say, the beer clearly states that it really hot and I was expecting exactly that. The heat is insane. It's way over the top, so much so that there really isn't any taste, just burn. I think anyone can get a bunch of really hot peppers and home brew something as bad.

Mouth feel, is well, I really can't feel my mouth at the moment. Heat, heat, heat...

Overall, I know it's a gimmick beer but its really bad. I guess if you are someone that likes atomic wings then you would maybe like the novelty of this but it's a really bad beer otherwise. But basically they hit there goal of making the hottest beer ever, but they forgot about taste. Actually, I came back to this review cause hours later I was still thinking how bad this beer tastes. By far the worst beer I ever had.

10-13-2013 20:00:00 | More by sjones5045
57md

3.1/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a cloudy muddy straw with a finger of fizzy head that dissipated almost instantly. The nose is distinctly hot peppers. The flavor qualities of the beer are near impossible to determine because the heat from the peppers is so pronounced. The finish brings lingering heat. The heat is not so deadly that it prevented me from finishing the bottle, but it is hard to image enjoying this beer with food or with other beers of any style.

Beyond proving to myself that I could handle it, I am not sure what purpose was served by my finishing this beer. At best, this is a novelty that should be tried once. Possibly, the only props that I can give this beer is that there is truth in advertising - they claim that it is hot and it certainly is hot.

10-07-2013 04:38:40 | More by 57md
beerthulhu

3.46/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

- Brewed with ghost pepper (bhut Jolokia), Serrano, jalapeno, habanero, fresno, & anaheim chili peppers.

A: A glass consuming head, off white, fills the vessel to near capacity upon the pour, blink, and you may miss it, instantanously disipating right before the eyes to a near polished surface, certainly one of the most bizzare instances ive ever seen. Hazy tangerine orange with a good rate of carbonation can be seen along with some peppery haze and some seeds.

S: The chili peppers are no stranger and are not shy by any means, strong, fresh and wet, bringing a tear to the eye if you venture to close. Will straighten out and twitch your nostril hairs with to big of a wiff. You can definitly smell the hot, spiciness of the ghost pepper and jalapenos the most. I detected some fresh green peppers and habanero. The chili peppers are definitly fresh, hot and juicy here like you just sliced them open.

T: The flavor is hot and spicy, red peppers, habaneros, and the ghost pepper quickly creep up on you after a short initial pause where you may think this isn't so bad. Pure liquid heat that provides a lasting warmth behind.

M: had a slight syrupy nature to it, some substance from the malt, but the main focus is the sting of chili juices that glow the inner cheeks and tongue. I held onto this for a good minute or two which felt like a life time. The heat lingers long after the swallow and takes up residence with a fire in the belly.

O: Sip this slowly, i actually waited to this warmed up a bit to make the chili presence more pronounced and get the most heat out of the peppers. Faster sips are more tolearable for the not so daring. Most of the heat comes after the swallow with a sting of on the tongue. Probably the hottest chili beer ive consumed. The malt base is more respectable then daves. You tongue does eventually become numb mid drink and the beer becomes much easier to consume. This is flat out scorchville assault of chili peppers, its hard to judge this, it follows the guidelines with a light malt base so it would be unfair to judge this against smoked chipotle stout styles, where a stout chili beer has more chocolate/roast malt attributes. This is what it is, a dare, an intriquing try, and one to experience for the chili fan or looking to spring on those unsuspecting friends.

09-02-2013 18:59:50 | More by beerthulhu
bmwats

Louisiana

2.53/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a nonic.

A: Deep golden hue. With a little rising effervescence. No head. (I think... I couldn't really see because my eyes were burning). No lacing.

S: Pickled jalapenos, vinegar, mustard, and couple of days too long in the fridge raw beef.

T: Peppers.... nothing else.

M: Light body with a lingering salty, vinegary, very very hot peppery finish that lingers on the palate and lips.

D: Sip and then pour it out.

I think the following is irrelevant since this is a novelty brew... but then again, that could be said for the whole review.

Atmosphere is okay I guess. Deep golden hue, slight rising effervescence, no head, no lacing. Nose is peppers and vinegar. Flavor.... peppers... hot... very hot... nothing else. Mouth and lips burn after a sip for about an hour after. Overall, this is... a beer I guess.

08-31-2013 22:58:20 | More by bmwats
doppelmeup

3.69/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This is a tough review to write. I don't think the scores are all that relevant - really, two sets of scores are needed.

The first set will be reviewing this as what the beer sets out to - be a wicked hot pepper elixir.
In this regard, I think the beer is successful.
A=4, S=4, T=4, M=3.5, O=3.
The beer is basically fizzy hot-pepper juice that really does burn as it goes down. It pours a sunshine yellow with a small head. Aromas are completely of chili-peppers. No secrets as to what is in this beer. Taste? Almost exclusively hot pepper. Mouthfeel - burns the mouth right away and keeps burning for quite some time after you finish drinking it. Overall, I split the beer with a friend and I wouldn't care for another. Oh yeah - I am a chili-head and I intentionally wanted a spicy chili beer, and I think this really lived up to the hype.

Now, for the second review - This brew was basically fermented, carbonated hot pepper juice. No other flavors present that I could find. It was also extremely, fiery hot all the way down.

My overall conclusion is that this beer will survive to be a "hot pepper drinker's challenge" but not much more. Kind of like going to a Thai restaurant and ordering the hottest item on the menu, just to see if you can handle it. But I can't see this being anything other than that.

One thing that I might consider, however, is cooking with this beer, especially making a pot of chili with it. Now that might be a keeper!

08-11-2013 19:54:26 | More by doppelmeup
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.18/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Another beer from my Brown Derby, Springfield MO haul... Cool Label

Pours an effervescent amber with a sliver of cream colored head. Some floaties, near zero lacing & even le ss head retention

S: Ancho peppers, I swear when I was trying smell this, some carbonation bubbles almost got in my eyes, I'm sure that would sting. Beware!

T: Big-time heat, slight apricot sweetness buried heavily. A touch of white grapejuice blends with sharp heat on the side of the toungue & back of the throat as this warms. Finishes with heat, a touch of malty sweetness & faint smokey notes

MF: Medium bodied, moderate carbonation, so warming from the chiles

One & done, too damn spicy to have more than one. I like Chile beers, but this is all blowtorch, no finesse. Worth a try, but better suited for Tex-Mex cooking

08-10-2013 02:47:08 | More by russpowell
Pencible

2.4/5  rDev -21.6%

A: This poured a cloudy gold with some white head.
S: It smelled like jalapeno and chipotle and tabasco. Can't find much beer related scent.
T: It tasted like sweet peppers and burning. It had a lasting intensely hot aftertaste.
M: It was watery with lots of carbonation. Fizzy body.
D: This was exactly what it claims to be - hot beer. Really hot. If the scent didn't warn you off, the taste certainly should. Fitting body, but tough to handle the finish. Definitely not easy to drink. Fun to try once, but not for much more than a few sips, unless you're really into spicy drinks.

08-03-2013 22:07:11 | More by Pencible
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

3.05/5  rDev -0.3%

This 'chile' style beer contains 6 different peppers including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chiles! Pours a coppery amber in color with no head with no lacing as well. A bit heavy on the carbonation. Aroma is of various hot peppers with some sweet malt. The taste is would be excepted, spicy with heat. A tad on the vinegary side. It was different of course and made the top of my head sweat some. LOL! If hot pepper is your style of beer, then here you go. Would I try it again in the future? Maybe once more and split it with a friend.

07-26-2013 20:56:22 | More by BeerWithMike
notchucknorris

3.56/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a deep, murky apple cider color with a fizzy soda-like head that dies quick.

S: A rich, smoky pepper aroma. Chipotle salsa is what came to mind here the most. Definitely doesn't smell like something you want to mess around with.

T: Opens on the mild side- sweet and smooth with mostly honey and grain coming through. Then there's a gradual build of smoky hot fire that kind of just keeps building and building. I've had ghost pepper hot sauce before, and this never comes close to that kind of heat. But as far as beers go, this is by far the hottest I've had. Not a lot of flavor in this beer, but if hot is what you're looking for, pull up a chair.

07-15-2013 01:32:19 | More by notchucknorris
Dmart1223

Colorado

3.98/5  rDev +30.1%

This beer doesn't get the credit it deserves.

If a complex beer shreds your taste buds with bitter hops, it's lofted into the heavens. If it shreds your taste buds with peppers, it's denounced as a novelty. Well, forget your standards! Drink this beer for what it is.

Ghost Face Killah pours a hazy gold with a fizzy head that fades fast to nearly nothing. I almost rated it sub-2, but the faint trail of bubbles sprouting mid-beer made it look like a foreboding elixir. It makes you nervous before you even know what's inside.

Its smell is a complex mix of dull warming peppers and sharp, spicy and slightly sweet chile pepper oil. There's also a little wheat. Unlike any beer I've ever smelled.

And the taste. Oh man. For a split second it's full and warming, with another hint of wheat. Then the fireworks start and never end. A hot blend of spice smack you straight in the face. Your lips chap and your throat chafes a little. Is that a bead of sweat on my brow?

Overall the blend is very hot, somewhat sweet and incredibly unique -- even by chile beer standards. Rating it by traditional means is almost unfair, as this is less of a beer than a face-singeing culinary experience.

07-14-2013 02:24:24 | More by Dmart1223
phishgator

1.9/5  rDev -37.9%

Poured into a pint glass. Pale straw color and hazy with little head. The carbonation is almost non-existent. The nose is hot peppers. The taste is a creeping asault of HOT peppers. With a 6 peeper blend and habanero being one of them it is not for the faint of heart. The heat is too intense for me to finish a bottle. The malt and hops just even be tasted after the first sip; they just vanish. If you split the bottle up between 4 or more people then it might get finished.

07-01-2013 18:42:03 | More by phishgator
JayQue

2.83/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A gimmick beer. Better than Eds Cave Creek because the beer part is better. Instead of a lame pepper juice taste, this one provides a full-bore hot pepper experience. If you like this sort of thing, the beer is well crafted. For me, this is too much hot pepper, not enough beer.

Pours a hazy apple cider color with a fizzy white head that dies fast with no lacing. Aroma is rich, pungent hot peppers, not much in the way of beer smell.

Taste is a mild ale until the hot pepper kicks in. The effect is not an undrinkable blast but rather a slow destruction of the taste buds. If you are into this sort of thing, you could call this a slow sipper. As someone looking forward to a Father's Day BBQ after drinking this, I was more concerned about tasting my food later on than finishing this beer.

Mouthfeel is a blast of hot peppers on top of a mild ale.

Overall, for me - a drain pour. For someone that likes this sort of thing, it is worthy of finishing. Not a poorly crafted drink, just not something I would want to experience beyond about a 2-3 oz sample.

06-16-2013 21:41:00 | More by JayQue