Ghost Face Killah - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Todd on 01-11-2011

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.
to view more.
Ratings: 523 | Reviews: 166
3.75/5  rDev +25%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

If you don't mind heat and can get the flavors through that, this is a good one.

3.9/5  rDev +30%

The hottest beer Ive ever had, good for cooking too

3.65/5  rDev +21.7%

Great pepper tastes and flavor

Mission accomplished. Proceed with caution.

3.78/5  rDev +26%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Drank this baby at Dark Lord Day 2015 in a 45 degree day with sideways rain. It helped

3.64/5  rDev +21.3%

Kinda tasted like a crappy beer saved by ghost pepper. I enjoyed the heat till about half way through the bottle and had to recap it. It's getting an over 4 because I cooked my dogfish brats in the ghostface and it added nice kick. Good for cooking, not for drinking

2.17/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.25

Quick review. The only thing about this beer that moves me is the aroma, subtle & deep with multiple chile components playing together. Everything about the palate is defined by brutal spiciness - way to hot - devoid of any chile flavor in favor of brute force heat. To me, this barely reads as a beer. I can see this appealing to the hot wing challenge crowd, but beyond that I'm not sure that there could be much of a market for something so single-minded.

4.58/5  rDev +52.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

yes hottest beer I've found

3.02/5  rDev +0.7%

This is a great beer to share. Because if you don't, no way in hell with it get finished. I was good for about an ounce, at best. Pure heat and pure torture if you want to drink it all.

2.56/5  rDev -14.7%

Drinker beware: This beer is freakin HOT! Smells hot, tastes even hotter. Don't say I didn't warn you!

1.15/5  rDev -61.7%

Ok, well it LOOKS like beer.

This was punishing to drink. Two sips and then down the drain. I suspect that the brewer had some VERY bad beer, and decided to cover the flavor with peppers. I hope they didn't waste good beer when making this.

1.48/5  rDev -50.7%

Pepper heat renders this beer undrinkable for normal humans.

3.59/5  rDev +19.7%

Well I have to try a beer that says it will kill my face!

Chill hazed golden amber beer.

The pepper isn't very subtle at all. Strong fruity and smoky hot pepper. Exceedingly spicy smelling. Smells like fresh roasted and peeled chile pepper.

Starts out sweet and smoky and it doesn't lie about this packing a punch. DEEP warming of the chest and not because of alcohol either. Quickly turns to mostly smoky flavors, think Mexican Rauchbier. Fruity after you acclimate to the heat.

Mouthfeel is a mouthful of Tabasco sauce!

Overall a Powerful chile beer but you had damn well be able to tolerate hot peppers!

1.25/5  rDev -58.3%

Way too hot!

Great flavor; very peppery, but smooth. If you're not a fan of spice, don't bother.

12 oz bottle

No pour. - Straight from the bottle.

Little malt smell and spiciness.

You get a little malt and carbonation but the heat overwhelms it almost instantly.

Can't feel inside of your mouth to know what the body is like on this. It was wet?

Bought it on a dare. Passed it around at a party - it made it back to me with about 1/3 left. While it was being passed around - several exclamations like "OH MY GOD", "What the Hell is that?" "Water, water, water." I don't have any issues with heat - hot and spicy. But when it's so hot you can't taste anything else for 30 minutes it doesn't really serve a purpose. Buy one to cook with, maybe take a sip so you can so you did.

Probably great for a beer batter, simmering sausages or brats, and marinades.

2.91/5  rDev -3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

This beer is .... very interesting haha.

Pours a hazy orange with a huge head that dies down very very quickly....no lacing left on the glass. The smell is of very hot peppers and kind of has a mexican salsa type of feel to it....I've had pepper beers before but this one smells hardcore. I took a sip and before even swallowing the beer the heat started kicking in, wow!!!!!! HOLY SHIT!...if you don't like spicy.....definitely stay away from this brew. spice lingers on the throat.....this is a beer you would want to deglaze maybe a mexican pasta dish in the pan with, it would provide killer flavor....this should be considered a cooking ingredient...not very palate friendly in my opinion just drinking it straight like this. ....The thing about this beer is that there is no balance...no sweetness...no hop presence...just straight heat.if it had some sweetness to even some of this heat out...it would be a better beer, hands down. mouthfeel is of a lager.

2.5/5  rDev -16.7%

to preface this review, I am intimately familiar with the ghost pepper. I have eaten them straight and in lots of varieties of food over the last few years. I cook with them and make my own sauces with them as well.

This one pours a very cloudy pale gold color with a decent white head that settles very quickly leaving no lacing down the glass.

I can definitely smell the pepper in this one though the rest of the nose is rather weak. I can get notes of malt but not much else.

The taste is interesting. There is sweet malt. and the ghost pepper makes it's presence known immediately. the lips really burn as I usually avoid getting the pepper directly on my lips when eating. Believe it or not, that is what burns the most (going in that is ;-). THe taste is sweet malt which goes well with heat. The flavor is overwhelmed by the pepper and really just makes this a novelty beer.

The moutfeel is very watery and somewhat disappointing.

Overall, just not a good beer. Great for a uniqueness and interesting factor, just not enjoyable. I would recommend adding some type of food that is savory to go with it.

Reviewing the Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company out of Boulder, Colorado

Score: 40

Unknown vintage bottle served in a 7venth Sun snifter and enjoyed on 08/24/14. Thank you Robbie Moy for the bottle...

Appearance: Pours an opaque, light orange color with a finger of cream-colored head that almost instantaneously settles entirely. No lacing or retention. 3/5

Smell: Fresh jalapenos, chili peppers, salsa, cilantro and a little tropical fruit. It's a bit vegetal, but not bad. The nose gives off the distinct impression that it is going to be pretty spicy. 3/5

Taste: There is not much flavor; just pepper heat. Vegetal chili peppers with a hint of cilantro hit initially, followed by a big spiciness on the front of the tongue that moves up the sides of the tongue before receding back and lingering on the front and top of the tongue. The center of the tongue has a lingering chili pepper flavor. This brew is one note, quite spicy and general unpleasant to drink. I'm sure it has its niche, and heat fiends probably do not find it unpalatable. However, 4 oz was my limit. 1.5/5

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, fizzy carbonation that really accentuates the heat. Spicy with a little bit of tropical fruit-like sweetness. The spiciness is long lasting. If big, lasting chili spiciness is what you want in a beer, this is your ale. 3/5

Overall: A hot, vegetal novelty that got tiresome and unpleasant before I could get halfway down the glass. If you are the kind of person that enjoys dumping a full bottle of Dave's insanity sauce on your food, I recommend you give this brew a whirl. I think I can confidently say that all others can life a happy and fulfilled life without ever having consumed this.

Cost: $3.99 for a 12 oz bottle.

1.97/5  rDev -34.3%

Bottle purchased at Joe Bean Coffee Roasters. I dunno why I did.

Pours a clear yellow, with a little bit of haze, and no head or lacing.

Smells like really hot and vegetal peppers. Smells kind of ok actually, but I can tell this is gonna be rough.

It's rough. Big surprise. Raging, blistering pepper heat, tastes essentially like pepper juice. If I try really hard, I can sort of tell there's a beer underneath. I can't tell if it's an adjunct lager, or a blond ale, or gasoline, it doesn't really matter, it tastes rancid. No balance whatsoever.

It's pretty light bodied, but not even slightly drinkable. There's a medium amount of carbonation, I guess, it's hard to tell anything that's going on.

Stay the hell away from this. Don't even think about it. You've been warned.

1.25/5  rDev -58.3%

Was handed this at a beer sampling without being warned what it was, took a sizable swig and got quite a surprise to say the least. I was expecting a refreshing beer, but instead was left with my mouth and throat burning and gasping for air. I am not sure I would qualify this as beer, so much as alcoholic pepper sauce.
The poor was a nice amber with a bit of lace that quickly disappeared. The aroma was sharp and overwhelming, and I could not discern any hops or malt over the roasted pepper. While I enjoy spicy food, I would have to say that I find spicy beer less than tolerable. I saw this as more of a novelty, but I digress, if a pepper beer is what you are looking for, you may enjoy this, but I personally found it to be just an unpleasant assault on the senses.

3.23/5  rDev +7.7%

Not too bad flavor, first half of taste time. The second half of the flavor time is a burnt pepper flavor, kinda different. nice color, the head disappeared as soon as I was done pouring it in the glass. Not too hot to drink, a jalapeno has a similar heat. (those who say it is hotter are stretching the truth a little.) Website for twistedpinebrewing.com was taken down today, it listed Minnesota as selling it, Minnesota does not. you can order it thru Algona Iowa and make a road-trip like I did, but at $76/case I will not make this a weekly habit. you don't want more than 2 at a time though.

4.47/5  rDev +49%

im getting this beer a high rating because it completely advertises that you're drinking a hot pepper. Other than that you really have no expectations going into this beer so if you want to drink a pepper. This is the great beer for you so I will rate it highly based on that!

2.59/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1

I poured this into my Sam Adams perfect pint. It has a nice orange/amber coloring. The head sizzled as it dissipated, leaving no lacing. You heard that right: SIZZLED! And, yes, that was pretty damn cool.

It smells like fresh hot peppers: habanero and so on. Read the label, and you'll see just how much heat these nutbags put into this beer.

Taste follows the smell. It's all hot peppers, like you bit into them fresh at the marketplace.

Mouthfeel is the worst. My lips and tongue and throat are a burning hellfire. What were these nutbags thinking?! Was this beer meant as a Man Vs. Food challenge? "Hey, Adam Richman, drink this in less than 30 minutes."

I poured this out after several sips. It is somewhat tasty, but it's impossible to enjoy due to the immense heat. Good luck, if you dare attempt to drink it.

4.54/5  rDev +51.3%

Poured into an IPA glass.

Look: Dull rusty cantaloupe color. The head disappears in nano-seconds.
No lacing.

Aroma: Peppers. Hot peppers.

Taste: Hell in a glass. My throat burns. And it tastes like every pepper. Every pepper.

Mouthfeel: Can't really tell as seeing how there's a fucking fire in my mouth.

Overall: The hottest pepper beer ever, and the best.

to view more.