Ghost Face Killah - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Twisted Pine Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-11-2011)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

A -Hot

S - Hot

T - Hot

M - Hot

O - Hot

1.97/5  rDev -34.1%

Bottle purchased at Joe Bean Coffee Roasters. I dunno why I did.

Pours a clear yellow, with a little bit of haze, and no head or lacing.

Smells like really hot and vegetal peppers. Smells kind of ok actually, but I can tell this is gonna be rough.

It's rough. Big surprise. Raging, blistering pepper heat, tastes essentially like pepper juice. If I try really hard, I can sort of tell there's a beer underneath. I can't tell if it's an adjunct lager, or a blond ale, or gasoline, it doesn't really matter, it tastes rancid. No balance whatsoever.

It's pretty light bodied, but not even slightly drinkable. There's a medium amount of carbonation, I guess, it's hard to tell anything that's going on.

Stay the hell away from this. Don't even think about it. You've been warned.

4.55/5  rDev +52.2%

Preface - I always rate brews to style...

A - Very average. No head. or lacing. Very golden *slightly* murky clear color. Great bubbles.

S - Hot! Spicy and Round! Strong pepper scent. Slight wood smell too. There's not too many other scents besides Chilies.

T - Sweet JEEZSUS! Strong pepper taste! Not nearly as much heat as I thought there would be... But, very spicy nonetheless.

M - Great carbonation; perfect for the style! Heavy bodied and very wet tasting. A very complete brew.

O - Perfect for the style, not much was missed. Would be an awesome brew for a BBQ, or to sneak up on your friends with.... Very unique and delicious. I couldn't drink a whole lot of this one... But, good while it lasts, great to split with a friend, or two, or three...

Cheers!

2.5/5  rDev -16.4%

2.17/5  rDev -27.4%

I'll preface this by saying this is my first review from memory. Although since it's been a day and a half and I can still feel the burn I think I'm entitled to review it.

It pours a headless mildly cloudy straw. It's not winning any award in the looks department.

The nose is actually great. It has such a strong pepper aroma it smells almost exactly like a nice hot salsa. It's so spicy and aromatic I'm surprised there isn't an actual pepper in my glass. For a chili beer this wins hands down best aroma I've ever smelled.

The taste is where this beer gets capped gangsta style in a drive by with the gunmen being a sadistic brewer. I understand the logic behind this beer, to make the hottest spiciest beer known to man. Well they've succeed in taking any beer like quality and taste and just replacing it with an unrelenting heat that lingers for a seemingly endless amount of time. There is no redeeming quality to the taste because I can't taste ANYTIHNG, no beer no chilli flavor just heat.

I can't even comment on mouthfeel because I can't feel anything in my mouth.

Overall this beer is the most dichotomous thing to ever grace my lips. What other beer can get a 5 in aroma and a 1 in flavor? If the beer had just toned down the heat and kept some of that awesome chilli flavor then I could see it being the best example of a chili beer ever possible. Unfortunately the brewer decided to make this into some sort of masochistic punishment beer so the world will never know.

At least the name and label is cool

2.95/5  rDev -1.3%

12oz bottle. Pours a clear straw gold with a very small white head that quickly goes the a slight collar.

The aroma is a little sweet malt and chili peppers. It's more subdued than expected.

The flavor is a slight touch of sweet malt quickly dominated by chilis with a big burn at the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with very low carbonation.

Overall, it's a completely one dimensional beer - it's all about the heat and the chilis. But it's definitely the hottest beer I've had. It's not as bad a ghost pepper sauces I've had though.

3.68/5  rDev +23.1%

Thanks to someone for sharing this at the May Freetail bottle release. When I saw this beer brought out I had no idea what to think. I love spicy food, but I am not a huge fan of chili beers so this should be interesting.

The beer pours a basic yellow color with a large white head. The aroma is very heavy on the peppers. There may be a little bit of malt mixed in, but this smells like you just stuck your head in a bucket of peppers.

The flavor is more of the same. I get a ton of heat when I drink the beer but there is also some nice pepper flavors. I can't say that I can pick out the individual chilis, but it is definitely more complex than the flavor in Billy's Chilis and some of the other pepper beers I have tried - such as the infamous Cave Creek Chili Beer. The heat lingers after the beer has left your mouth.

Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation. This is a hard beer to rate since it is so unlike most other beers, but I did like it.

3.6/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks again to trxxpaxxs for sharing!

12oz twist off poured into a snifter, fridge temp.

pours a cloudy deep golden bordering on a light amber color. some white head that fades to nothing rather quickly.

i first get some peachy almost citrus aroma, but then gives way to all kinds of chile pepper aromas, seeds and all. the aroma does not prepare you for how hot this beer actually is, but i suppose you cant smell hot...

holy hell!!! this is like biting into a habenero! burns every part of your mouth and throat and stomach on the way down and boy does that heat linger.

your palate is left completely wrecked. your mouth throat and overall feel are more similar to drinking hot sauce than beer. fairly light in body.

its hard to enjoy this beer, but im super glad that i got a chance to try it. i was looking forward to it for awhile, and i definatly wasnt expecting it to be quite as hot as it was, despite what people have told me.

3.25/5  rDev +8.7%

3.88/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle

Acquired via trade
Thanks, quirkzoo!

Clear dark straw yellow with a small near-white head that doesn't leave much stick to the glass.

The aroma, as expected, is filled with big, expressive spicy chile character. This smells like I hoped it would. The aroma prepares you for what comes next. You know this is going to be hot.

The flavor follows the aroma, with huge spicy elements washing over the mouth and down the throat, leaving the mouth briefly aflame. That being said, the spicy doesn't last for as long as feared, and is actually quite pleasant. That being said, the flavor is somewhat simple: it's spicy!

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

This beer was exactly what I was hoping it would be: intensely spicy, yet actually enjoyable. I split the bottle between 6 or so brave beer drinkers, but I happily finished my 2+ oz. pour.

3.8/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into fluted snifter; looks like an IPA, golden yellow-orange with a moderate white head that fades quickly, fizzy.
Smells of all chiles. Chipotle, green jalapeno, very crisp vegetal chile scent that is really appetizing. Not much hint of the hotter habanero or ghost peppers in the smell, except for a ghostly twang in the nostril at the very end of a hard, close sniff.
Taste...not nearly as hot as everyone made it out to be. Then again, I love spicy things. Anyways, it starts off with some smooth, slightly sweet corn malt. Your tongue begins to tingle as it explores your mouth. Then on the swallow, it's all pepper. Mostly smoky and that generic "pepper" taste that most chile beers have, along with a hefty dose of spice. But not enough to even cause me discomfort...it reminded me of a very strong ginger beer. Very spicy on the throat and in the nose, but does no lasting damage.
Mouthfeel is thin and slick; the latter quality may be helped by the pepper oils.
Overall, this beer is a novelty. I'm glad I found it and got to try it, but I wouldn't pick it up again. There's no malt backbone at all, so as beer quality goes it's pretty poor. However, I don't think it's meant to be anything but a super-spicy novelty beer, and it achieves that very well. But it's worth picking up once to try, if only to say you did. Don't fear the "ghost pepper;" it's nowhere near as spicy as anything else I've had with ghost chiles.

3.5/5  rDev +17.1%

2.5/5  rDev -16.4%

2.35/5  rDev -21.4%

When poured this looks like your average beer. But then you smell it and it is all peppers. No hops, no malt, just hot, hot peppers. Taste is more of the same. I appreciated how the peppers retained their own character, there was definite complexity within the pepper flavor but that was all I tasted and it was extremely spicy. It flooded my entire mouth and throat with hot spicy tingling. The mouthfeel just shot hot hot heat all around and the carbonation just made the spiciness explode. Overall I am glad I tried it. I am not big on spicy foods but I was surprised by how well they captured the complexities of the chile's used. If you like chile's and hot foods you should definitely seek this out.

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company