Ghost Face Killah - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Todd on 01-11-2011

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.
Ratings: 535 | Reviews: 175
Reviews by silverking:
1.3/5  rDev -56.5%

This is the worst beer I have ever had in my entire life.

1.97/5  rDev -34.1%

Bottle purchased at Joe Bean Coffee Roasters. I dunno why I did.

Pours a clear yellow, with a little bit of haze, and no head or lacing.

Smells like really hot and vegetal peppers. Smells kind of ok actually, but I can tell this is gonna be rough.

It's rough. Big surprise. Raging, blistering pepper heat, tastes essentially like pepper juice. If I try really hard, I can sort of tell there's a beer underneath. I can't tell if it's an adjunct lager, or a blond ale, or gasoline, it doesn't really matter, it tastes rancid. No balance whatsoever.

It's pretty light bodied, but not even slightly drinkable. There's a medium amount of carbonation, I guess, it's hard to tell anything that's going on.

Stay the hell away from this. Don't even think about it. You've been warned.

4.49/5  rDev +50.2%

Preface - I always rate brews to style...

A - Very average. No head. or lacing. Very golden *slightly* murky clear color. Great bubbles.

S - Hot! Spicy and Round! Strong pepper scent. Slight wood smell too. There's not too many other scents besides Chilies.

T - Sweet JEEZSUS! Strong pepper taste! Not nearly as much heat as I thought there would be... But, very spicy nonetheless.

M - Great carbonation; perfect for the style! Heavy bodied and very wet tasting. A very complete brew.

O - Perfect for the style, not much was missed. Would be an awesome brew for a BBQ, or to sneak up on your friends with.... Very unique and delicious. I couldn't drink a whole lot of this one... But, good while it lasts, great to split with a friend, or two, or three...

Cheers!

3.78/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Drank this baby at Dark Lord Day 2015 in a 45 degree day with sideways rain. It helped

2.35/5  rDev -21.4%

I'll preface this by saying this is my first review from memory. Although since it's been a day and a half and I can still feel the burn I think I'm entitled to review it.

It pours a headless mildly cloudy straw. It's not winning any award in the looks department.

The nose is actually great. It has such a strong pepper aroma it smells almost exactly like a nice hot salsa. It's so spicy and aromatic I'm surprised there isn't an actual pepper in my glass. For a chili beer this wins hands down best aroma I've ever smelled.

The taste is where this beer gets capped gangsta style in a drive by with the gunmen being a sadistic brewer. I understand the logic behind this beer, to make the hottest spiciest beer known to man. Well they've succeed in taking any beer like quality and taste and just replacing it with an unrelenting heat that lingers for a seemingly endless amount of time. There is no redeeming quality to the taste because I can't taste ANYTIHNG, no beer no chilli flavor just heat.

I can't even comment on mouthfeel because I can't feel anything in my mouth.

Overall this beer is the most dichotomous thing to ever grace my lips. What other beer can get a 5 in aroma and a 1 in flavor? If the beer had just toned down the heat and kept some of that awesome chilli flavor then I could see it being the best example of a chili beer ever possible. Unfortunately the brewer decided to make this into some sort of masochistic punishment beer so the world will never know.

At least the name and label is cool

2.96/5  rDev -1%

12oz bottle. Pours a clear straw gold with a very small white head that quickly goes the a slight collar.

The aroma is a little sweet malt and chili peppers. It's more subdued than expected.

The flavor is a slight touch of sweet malt quickly dominated by chilis with a big burn at the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with very low carbonation.

Overall, it's a completely one dimensional beer - it's all about the heat and the chilis. But it's definitely the hottest beer I've had. It's not as bad a ghost pepper sauces I've had though.

3.68/5  rDev +23.1%

Thanks to someone for sharing this at the May Freetail bottle release. When I saw this beer brought out I had no idea what to think. I love spicy food, but I am not a huge fan of chili beers so this should be interesting.

The beer pours a basic yellow color with a large white head. The aroma is very heavy on the peppers. There may be a little bit of malt mixed in, but this smells like you just stuck your head in a bucket of peppers.

The flavor is more of the same. I get a ton of heat when I drink the beer but there is also some nice pepper flavors. I can't say that I can pick out the individual chilis, but it is definitely more complex than the flavor in Billy's Chilis and some of the other pepper beers I have tried - such as the infamous Cave Creek Chili Beer. The heat lingers after the beer has left your mouth.

Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation. This is a hard beer to rate since it is so unlike most other beers, but I did like it.

3.62/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks again to trxxpaxxs for sharing!

12oz twist off poured into a snifter, fridge temp.

pours a cloudy deep golden bordering on a light amber color. some white head that fades to nothing rather quickly.

i first get some peachy almost citrus aroma, but then gives way to all kinds of chile pepper aromas, seeds and all. the aroma does not prepare you for how hot this beer actually is, but i suppose you cant smell hot...

holy hell!!! this is like biting into a habenero! burns every part of your mouth and throat and stomach on the way down and boy does that heat linger.

your palate is left completely wrecked. your mouth throat and overall feel are more similar to drinking hot sauce than beer. fairly light in body.

its hard to enjoy this beer, but im super glad that i got a chance to try it. i was looking forward to it for awhile, and i definatly wasnt expecting it to be quite as hot as it was, despite what people have told me.

3.84/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle

Acquired via trade
Thanks, quirkzoo!

Clear dark straw yellow with a small near-white head that doesn't leave much stick to the glass.

The aroma, as expected, is filled with big, expressive spicy chile character. This smells like I hoped it would. The aroma prepares you for what comes next. You know this is going to be hot.

The flavor follows the aroma, with huge spicy elements washing over the mouth and down the throat, leaving the mouth briefly aflame. That being said, the spicy doesn't last for as long as feared, and is actually quite pleasant. That being said, the flavor is somewhat simple: it's spicy!

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

This beer was exactly what I was hoping it would be: intensely spicy, yet actually enjoyable. I split the bottle between 6 or so brave beer drinkers, but I happily finished my 2+ oz. pour.

3.79/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into fluted snifter; looks like an IPA, golden yellow-orange with a moderate white head that fades quickly, fizzy.
Smells of all chiles. Chipotle, green jalapeno, very crisp vegetal chile scent that is really appetizing. Not much hint of the hotter habanero or ghost peppers in the smell, except for a ghostly twang in the nostril at the very end of a hard, close sniff.
Taste...not nearly as hot as everyone made it out to be. Then again, I love spicy things. Anyways, it starts off with some smooth, slightly sweet corn malt. Your tongue begins to tingle as it explores your mouth. Then on the swallow, it's all pepper. Mostly smoky and that generic "pepper" taste that most chile beers have, along with a hefty dose of spice. But not enough to even cause me discomfort...it reminded me of a very strong ginger beer. Very spicy on the throat and in the nose, but does no lasting damage.
Mouthfeel is thin and slick; the latter quality may be helped by the pepper oils.
Overall, this beer is a novelty. I'm glad I found it and got to try it, but I wouldn't pick it up again. There's no malt backbone at all, so as beer quality goes it's pretty poor. However, I don't think it's meant to be anything but a super-spicy novelty beer, and it achieves that very well. But it's worth picking up once to try, if only to say you did. Don't fear the "ghost pepper;" it's nowhere near as spicy as anything else I've had with ghost chiles.

2.42/5  rDev -19.1%

When poured this looks like your average beer. But then you smell it and it is all peppers. No hops, no malt, just hot, hot peppers. Taste is more of the same. I appreciated how the peppers retained their own character, there was definite complexity within the pepper flavor but that was all I tasted and it was extremely spicy. It flooded my entire mouth and throat with hot spicy tingling. The mouthfeel just shot hot hot heat all around and the carbonation just made the spiciness explode. Overall I am glad I tried it. I am not big on spicy foods but I was surprised by how well they captured the complexities of the chile's used. If you like chile's and hot foods you should definitely seek this out.

3.37/5  rDev +12.7%

Liquid heat. Yellow body with rapidly dissipating white foamy head. Don't get me wrong, I like my chile beers, but this is something burning pain. I am writing this 5 hours later and still feeling it. Its absolutely not too drinkable, so the rest of it is going into my slow cooking stew for later in the week.

A - copper with no head

S - peppers, very spicy, a lot of jalapeno and habanero

T - intense peppers, jalapenos mostly, intense heat in the finish from the ghost chilies but not unbearable; the taste reminds me of the pepper blend that my grandfather adds to his sausage

M - medium bodied, very spicy, warm, well carbonated

Well, this wasn't nearly as bad as some reviewers had led me to believe it would be. I certainly wouldn't enjoy this beyond the 6 oz sample that I had, but I did enjoy it for what it was. If I were to buy this again, I would buy it as an ingredient. I think this would be great in a batch of chili or even in a marinade.

3.17/5  rDev +6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle

A- Pours a hazy golden yellow/amber color with a small fizzy white head that quickly dissipates.

S- The aroma is roasted chilis and very faint malt, you can definitely smell the spicy peppery throughout the nose.

T- The taste is a very brief moment of maltiness with the spiciness from the chilies quickly kicking in and lingering well into the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied and highly carbonated.

O- Overall, this beer packs the heat unlike any other beer I have tried. As someone who enjoys spicy foods, I enjoyed the uniqueness of this beer. I wouldn't be able to drink more that one bottle of this in a sitting, actually it is pretty difficult to just finish one bottle.

1.74/5  rDev -41.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a Dogfish head Signature Glass.

Color: Cloudy yellow with a white head.

Smell: PEPPERS! Habenero and green peppers.

Taste: Peppers again. Slight burn. OIL.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, oily, medium coarse and a light dryness on the palate.

Overall: Like drinking pepper juice. I detect no beer aspects in the aroma or taste. It was cool to try it for the novelty. That is really about it. Cheers.

3.62/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Slightly cloudy, light brown hue with a thin, thin head; lacing is good

S: Well, that's a lot of peppers--but woody, smokey, complex array of peppers; herbal, vegetal, earthy, spicy; this smells hot as hell and I have to admit that I am intimidated even though I love spicy foods; but really this smells pretty good and I'm ready to go

T: Yes, that is spicy but a good slow, smokey burn; of course, the peppers are the show here and very little else is discernible but this is a chilli beer and it's tasty

F: A touch thin up front but the oily, sticky pepper residue gives this a nice feel in the finish

O: I like this beer; the pepper variety adds complexity and though this isn't a normal, go-to beer, it's fun and I will definitely be back; I'm not sure why some say it was difficult to get through; yes, it's spicy but I slowed down and am happy to say I made it through the entire bottle; let's do this again, GFK, let's do this again

3.11/5  rDev +4%

Poured into a tulip glass. No head on a cloudy straw colored body.
The smell was of fire roasted chili peppers.
Well, it's a chili beer... so it's HOT through and through. In fact that's the only flavor to come through: the pepper heat.
It has a crisp texture with low carbonation.
It bordered on painful to drink but I could still finish the 12 oz bottle.

3.72/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a slightly orangish yellow with a slight haze. some white head that lasted a short bit.

smells like peppers, i mean really. this smells like hot peppers, bell peppers, and heat. can't knock it as it smells like what it is, hot peppers.

somewhere is a faint hint of malt BUT this is all peppers, loads of heat through out. not much else to describe here. its just hot.

burning, tastes like burning. lips, tongue, gums, all numb after a few sips. burning sensation means short small sips.

i dug it, its not meant to be this big flavorful beer, its meant to be hot as shit, and it is.

3.2/5  rDev +7%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Another beer from my Brown Derby, Springfield MO haul... Cool Label

Pours an effervescent amber with a sliver of cream colored head. Some floaties, near zero lacing & even le ss head retention

S: Ancho peppers, I swear when I was trying smell this, some carbonation bubbles almost got in my eyes, I'm sure that would sting. Beware!

T: Big-time heat, slight apricot sweetness buried heavily. A touch of white grapejuice blends with sharp heat on the side of the toungue & back of the throat as this warms. Finishes with heat, a touch of malty sweetness & faint smokey notes

MF: Medium bodied, moderate carbonation, so warming from the chiles

One & done, too damn spicy to have more than one. I like Chile beers, but this is all blowtorch, no finesse. Worth a try, but better suited for Tex-Mex cooking

1.31/5  rDev -56.2%

Since I like heat in my beer I thought there might be something redeeming about this one. Once I cracked it I realized that the likelihood of this being poured down the drain is high.

Once poured it looks like a severely watered down ice tea. Maybe the only thing about this beer actually that isn't bad is the head which is ok. After the beer settles down it looks like a cider beer.

The smell is horrific. Not really sure how to describe it, and maybe it's best not to try. I'll just leave it as horrific.

The taste, well it's pure burn. Now I'll be the first to say, the beer clearly states that it really hot and I was expecting exactly that. The heat is insane. It's way over the top, so much so that there really isn't any taste, just burn. I think anyone can get a bunch of really hot peppers and home brew something as bad.

Mouth feel, is well, I really can't feel my mouth at the moment. Heat, heat, heat...

Overall, I know it's a gimmick beer but its really bad. I guess if you are someone that likes atomic wings then you would maybe like the novelty of this but it's a really bad beer otherwise. But basically they hit there goal of making the hottest beer ever, but they forgot about taste. Actually, I came back to this review cause hours later I was still thinking how bad this beer tastes. By far the worst beer I ever had.

3.41/5  rDev +14%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice gold with a white head that dissipates super quick. First whiff will cause you to cough. Initial sip is pretty good and you can taste some pepper. It takes a secon or two but then you feel the burn. Has a nice body to it and I really liked this beer. I would not drink it every day but I can enjoy this once or twice a year. If you like hit and spicy this beer is for you. My nose is still running as I write this!

3.64/5  rDev +21.7%

Kinda tasted like a crappy beer saved by ghost pepper. I enjoyed the heat till about half way through the bottle and had to recap it. It's getting an over 4 because I cooked my dogfish brats in the ghostface and it added nice kick. Good for cooking, not for drinking

3.47/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

- Brewed with ghost pepper (bhut Jolokia), Serrano, jalapeno, habanero, fresno, & anaheim chili peppers.

A: A glass consuming head, off white, fills the vessel to near capacity upon the pour, blink, and you may miss it, instantanously disipating right before the eyes to a near polished surface, certainly one of the most bizzare instances ive ever seen. Hazy tangerine orange with a good rate of carbonation can be seen along with some peppery haze and some seeds.

S: The chili peppers are no stranger and are not shy by any means, strong, fresh and wet, bringing a tear to the eye if you venture to close. Will straighten out and twitch your nostril hairs with to big of a wiff. You can definitly smell the hot, spiciness of the ghost pepper and jalapenos the most. I detected some fresh green peppers and habanero. The chili peppers are definitly fresh, hot and juicy here like you just sliced them open.

T: The flavor is hot and spicy, red peppers, habaneros, and the ghost pepper quickly creep up on you after a short initial pause where you may think this isn't so bad. Pure liquid heat that provides a lasting warmth behind.

M: had a slight syrupy nature to it, some substance from the malt, but the main focus is the sting of chili juices that glow the inner cheeks and tongue. I held onto this for a good minute or two which felt like a life time. The heat lingers long after the swallow and takes up residence with a fire in the belly.

O: Sip this slowly, i actually waited to this warmed up a bit to make the chili presence more pronounced and get the most heat out of the peppers. Faster sips are more tolearable for the not so daring. Most of the heat comes after the swallow with a sting of on the tongue. Probably the hottest chili beer ive consumed. The malt base is more respectable then daves. You tongue does eventually become numb mid drink and the beer becomes much easier to consume. This is flat out scorchville assault of chili peppers, its hard to judge this, it follows the guidelines with a light malt base so it would be unfair to judge this against smoked chipotle stout styles, where a stout chili beer has more chocolate/roast malt attributes. This is what it is, a dare, an intriquing try, and one to experience for the chili fan or looking to spring on those unsuspecting friends.

2.91/5  rDev -2.7%

Thanks, willandperry! I've been anxious to try this one :-)

Appearance. Pours a clear, yellow gold with two fingers of white head that doesn't last long at all.

Smell. Wow, roasted sweet red peppers and a smokey, salty driftwood kind of smell. Interesting, but not as something to drink...

Taste. Tangy bell peppers along with white pepper and hot fresh jalepenos. This beer doesn't disapoint with the heat, and I like my firey food. Taste isn't as bad as I expected from the smell. For this "style", I guess it's pretty decent tasting.

Mouthfeel. Medium-light body, medium+ carbonation.

Overall. Well, it was an experience to say the least. Really glad to have tried it. My cheeks are sweating, and that's the level of heat that I like in any Indian, and various other ethnic foods. Extra full overall point for doing a chille beer that definitely showcases the chilles. Thanks again, willandperry!

3.2/5  rDev +7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

A: A dusty straw color, with a large white head that rapidly turns into fish eyes, then dissipates entirely.

S: There are definitely chilies in there. Smells like a combination of fresh, as well as roasted chilies. There is a lovely smokiness to it, like chipotle chili powder. Very interesting..

T: Holy hell that beer is hot! whew!! It starts sweet, with some nice grain notes, as you swallow there is a very nice smoky chili flavor, the finish is all heat. Burns going down, that beer is hot. The base beer really isn't bad, and the smoky flavor is quite delicious, although the heat is fairly substantial.

M: Medium low carbonation, and while the beer is cold, the mouthfeel is hot. The finish on this thing lingers on like crazy...

O: Overall the beer is just way too hot, although I suppose that that is kinda the point. Interesting to experience, but make sure you have at least 4 other people with you to split this with, or dump the whole thing into a pot of beans, and beef and make some damn spicy chili. Overall score is low, simply because you can't finish the damn thing.

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company