Ghost Face Killah - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Twisted Pine Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-11-2011)
Reviews by twiggamortis420:
2.68/5  rDev -11.6%

12 oz bottle pours a hazed yellow color with a few bubbles of head, no retention or lacing, which is typical of chile beers.

Nose is fire, straight up fire. Intense heat with vegetal chile aroma. Smells like hatch chiles on steroids AND HGH. Wow.

After drinking 5 beers I finally got the courage to pop this fucker. I was planning on sharing it, but a good opportunity never presented itself over the past few months. I was planning on attempting to drink the whole thing by myself, but after one sip am reproaching myself and there is no way in the fiery depths of hell I am finishing this one…or am I? The malt is lightly grainy and the chile flavor is somewhere between smoky chipotle and raw poblano peppers. Somewhat like a habanero, but earthier and more vegetal. Holy hell, I love hot stuff and have enjoyed almost all the chile beers I have had...but this takes it a bit too far. About 3 oz in I am ready to throw in the towel...I think I will re-cap and use in some cooking. This is not a good beer by any means, but the novelty score is a 5.0 and I wouldnt take back the experience for anything...maybe :)

Edit…I drank about half of it and got the bright idea to add a Modelo Especial to it and it works very well. I mixed a 1:1 ratio and it is hot, but not sweat-inducing hot. I think I can finish it…Im a stubborn son of a bitch. I will need to chase this with some Tums though.

Double Edit...I drank 12 oz of this concoction, my stomach is making some really wierd noises and burping hurts pretty bad. Not for the faint of heart, but if you are a glutton for punishment this beer is right up your alley.

twiggamortis420, Aug 14, 2012

Tiernan, Oct 17, 2012
2.17/5  rDev -28.4%

I'll preface this by saying this is my first review from memory. Although since it's been a day and a half and I can still feel the burn I think I'm entitled to review it.

It pours a headless mildly cloudy straw. It's not winning any award in the looks department.

The nose is actually great. It has such a strong pepper aroma it smells almost exactly like a nice hot salsa. It's so spicy and aromatic I'm surprised there isn't an actual pepper in my glass. For a chili beer this wins hands down best aroma I've ever smelled.

The taste is where this beer gets capped gangsta style in a drive by with the gunmen being a sadistic brewer. I understand the logic behind this beer, to make the hottest spiciest beer known to man. Well they've succeed in taking any beer like quality and taste and just replacing it with an unrelenting heat that lingers for a seemingly endless amount of time. There is no redeeming quality to the taste because I can't taste ANYTIHNG, no beer no chilli flavor just heat.

I can't even comment on mouthfeel because I can't feel anything in my mouth.

Overall this beer is the most dichotomous thing to ever grace my lips. What other beer can get a 5 in aroma and a 1 in flavor? If the beer had just toned down the heat and kept some of that awesome chilli flavor then I could see it being the best example of a chili beer ever possible. Unfortunately the brewer decided to make this into some sort of masochistic punishment beer so the world will never know.

At least the name and label is cool

weatherdog, Jun 15, 2011

tbryan5, Jan 12, 2013
2.95/5  rDev -2.6%

12oz bottle. Pours a clear straw gold with a very small white head that quickly goes the a slight collar.

The aroma is a little sweet malt and chili peppers. It's more subdued than expected.

The flavor is a slight touch of sweet malt quickly dominated by chilis with a big burn at the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with very low carbonation.

Overall, it's a completely one dimensional beer - it's all about the heat and the chilis. But it's definitely the hottest beer I've had. It's not as bad a ghost pepper sauces I've had though.

Beaver13, Jun 10, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +21.5%

Thanks to someone for sharing this at the May Freetail bottle release. When I saw this beer brought out I had no idea what to think. I love spicy food, but I am not a huge fan of chili beers so this should be interesting.

The beer pours a basic yellow color with a large white head. The aroma is very heavy on the peppers. There may be a little bit of malt mixed in, but this smells like you just stuck your head in a bucket of peppers.

The flavor is more of the same. I get a ton of heat when I drink the beer but there is also some nice pepper flavors. I can't say that I can pick out the individual chilis, but it is definitely more complex than the flavor in Billy's Chilis and some of the other pepper beers I have tried - such as the infamous Cave Creek Chili Beer. The heat lingers after the beer has left your mouth.

Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation. This is a hard beer to rate since it is so unlike most other beers, but I did like it.

Mora2000, Sep 10, 2011

thaghost, Nov 03, 2013
3.6/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks again to trxxpaxxs for sharing!

12oz twist off poured into a snifter, fridge temp.

pours a cloudy deep golden bordering on a light amber color. some white head that fades to nothing rather quickly.

i first get some peachy almost citrus aroma, but then gives way to all kinds of chile pepper aromas, seeds and all. the aroma does not prepare you for how hot this beer actually is, but i suppose you cant smell hot...

holy hell!!! this is like biting into a habenero! burns every part of your mouth and throat and stomach on the way down and boy does that heat linger.

your palate is left completely wrecked. your mouth throat and overall feel are more similar to drinking hot sauce than beer. fairly light in body.

its hard to enjoy this beer, but im super glad that i got a chance to try it. i was looking forward to it for awhile, and i definatly wasnt expecting it to be quite as hot as it was, despite what people have told me.

dogfishandi, Jun 30, 2012
3.25/5  rDev +7.3%

juicebox, Nov 17, 2013
3.88/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle

Acquired via trade
Thanks, quirkzoo!

Clear dark straw yellow with a small near-white head that doesn't leave much stick to the glass.

The aroma, as expected, is filled with big, expressive spicy chile character. This smells like I hoped it would. The aroma prepares you for what comes next. You know this is going to be hot.

The flavor follows the aroma, with huge spicy elements washing over the mouth and down the throat, leaving the mouth briefly aflame. That being said, the spicy doesn't last for as long as feared, and is actually quite pleasant. That being said, the flavor is somewhat simple: it's spicy!

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

This beer was exactly what I was hoping it would be: intensely spicy, yet actually enjoyable. I split the bottle between 6 or so brave beer drinkers, but I happily finished my 2+ oz. pour.

ehammond1, May 08, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into fluted snifter; looks like an IPA, golden yellow-orange with a moderate white head that fades quickly, fizzy.
Smells of all chiles. Chipotle, green jalapeno, very crisp vegetal chile scent that is really appetizing. Not much hint of the hotter habanero or ghost peppers in the smell, except for a ghostly twang in the nostril at the very end of a hard, close sniff.
Taste...not nearly as hot as everyone made it out to be. Then again, I love spicy things. Anyways, it starts off with some smooth, slightly sweet corn malt. Your tongue begins to tingle as it explores your mouth. Then on the swallow, it's all pepper. Mostly smoky and that generic "pepper" taste that most chile beers have, along with a hefty dose of spice. But not enough to even cause me discomfort...it reminded me of a very strong ginger beer. Very spicy on the throat and in the nose, but does no lasting damage.
Mouthfeel is thin and slick; the latter quality may be helped by the pepper oils.
Overall, this beer is a novelty. I'm glad I found it and got to try it, but I wouldn't pick it up again. There's no malt backbone at all, so as beer quality goes it's pretty poor. However, I don't think it's meant to be anything but a super-spicy novelty beer, and it achieves that very well. But it's worth picking up once to try, if only to say you did. Don't fear the "ghost pepper;" it's nowhere near as spicy as anything else I've had with ghost chiles.

BurgeoningBrewhead, Mar 16, 2014

acurtis, Jun 24, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -9.2%

JMS1512, Oct 19, 2013
2.35/5  rDev -22.4%

When poured this looks like your average beer. But then you smell it and it is all peppers. No hops, no malt, just hot, hot peppers. Taste is more of the same. I appreciated how the peppers retained their own character, there was definite complexity within the pepper flavor but that was all I tasted and it was extremely spicy. It flooded my entire mouth and throat with hot spicy tingling. The mouthfeel just shot hot hot heat all around and the carbonation just made the spiciness explode. Overall I am glad I tried it. I am not big on spicy foods but I was surprised by how well they captured the complexities of the chile's used. If you like chile's and hot foods you should definitely seek this out.

quirkzoo, Nov 09, 2011

roostor07, Aug 19, 2013

weonfire, Jul 09, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +15.5%

Lazerlobe, Jan 25, 2012

beerbrains, Jul 12, 2012
3.4/5  rDev +12.2%

Liquid heat. Yellow body with rapidly dissipating white foamy head. Don't get me wrong, I like my chile beers, but this is something burning pain. I am writing this 5 hours later and still feeling it. Its absolutely not too drinkable, so the rest of it is going into my slow cooking stew for later in the week.

Sammy, Jan 22, 2012