Ghost Face Killah - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Todd on 01-11-2011

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.
1.06/5  rDev -65.9%

Tried this with some friends. I normally like spicy things but this was far too much.

L: Lighter than I expected, almost yellow.
S: It even smells hot - there's nothing else there except the spiciness/heat.
T: There's no beer taste whatsoever - it's completely overpowered by the chiles. I'm pretty sure I could have breathed fire after just a mouthful of this.
F: It's too hot to comfortably sip at all.
O: No. My friends were cooking chili and ended up putting it in there, where it will probably be better served versus ever drinking it again.

1.12/5  rDev -64%

A - looks like a lager nothing to talk about there
S - the smell is all hot sauce, I do not get any beer smell
T - to hot, it was amusing to taste as a novelty but there is no need to ever buy another one of these - Just drink some “HOT” hot sauce and you will feel like you had this one
M - burns your mouth slowly
O - this is not a beer for drinking, but maybe it would be good as a base for chili -or- just forget it, it sucks

1.15/5  rDev -63%

Ok, well it LOOKS like beer.

This was punishing to drink. Two sips and then down the drain. I suspect that the brewer had some VERY bad beer, and decided to cover the flavor with peppers. I hope they didn't waste good beer when making this.

1.22/5  rDev -60.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Pours hazy gold, with one inch head that goes quickly. Smell is green vegetables. Taste is heat and liquid peppers. This is the hottest beer I have ever had. My mouth is burning. Reminds me of Cave Creek chili beer. I like a well balanced chili beer but this does not have much beer taste at all. If you like drinking straight hot sauce, this is your beer. Not for me at all.

1.25/5  rDev -59.8%

Was handed this at a beer sampling without being warned what it was, took a sizable swig and got quite a surprise to say the least. I was expecting a refreshing beer, but instead was left with my mouth and throat burning and gasping for air. I am not sure I would qualify this as beer, so much as alcoholic pepper sauce.
The poor was a nice amber with a bit of lace that quickly disappeared. The aroma was sharp and overwhelming, and I could not discern any hops or malt over the roasted pepper. While I enjoy spicy food, I would have to say that I find spicy beer less than tolerable. I saw this as more of a novelty, but I digress, if a pepper beer is what you are looking for, you may enjoy this, but I personally found it to be just an unpleasant assault on the senses.

1.31/5  rDev -57.9%

Since I like heat in my beer I thought there might be something redeeming about this one. Once I cracked it I realized that the likelihood of this being poured down the drain is high.

Once poured it looks like a severely watered down ice tea. Maybe the only thing about this beer actually that isn't bad is the head which is ok. After the beer settles down it looks like a cider beer.

The smell is horrific. Not really sure how to describe it, and maybe it's best not to try. I'll just leave it as horrific.

The taste, well it's pure burn. Now I'll be the first to say, the beer clearly states that it really hot and I was expecting exactly that. The heat is insane. It's way over the top, so much so that there really isn't any taste, just burn. I think anyone can get a bunch of really hot peppers and home brew something as bad.

Mouth feel, is well, I really can't feel my mouth at the moment. Heat, heat, heat...

Overall, I know it's a gimmick beer but its really bad. I guess if you are someone that likes atomic wings then you would maybe like the novelty of this but it's a really bad beer otherwise. But basically they hit there goal of making the hottest beer ever, but they forgot about taste. Actually, I came back to this review cause hours later I was still thinking how bad this beer tastes. By far the worst beer I ever had.

1.63/5  rDev -47.6%

Thanks to ThirstyHerf for the opportunity! Shared with injuredreserve because I'm not suicidal... he however was, trudging through all 8 ounces he decided to pour himself.

Pours a hazy/cloudy pale straw color. Looks slightly wheat based. Head was white, and not long lasting.

Aroma was spicy. It's slightly misleading as it was spicy, but it didn't seem... menacing so to speak.

Holy hell...literally. A small sip induced uncontrollable coughing and a burn lasting about 15 minutes. After the burn calmed, I attempted another sip, and put it down much faster this time and it was a little less destroying. I could resist coughing the faster I put it away. Naturally, drinkability is nonexistent.

This is punishment. No enjoyment can really be had here, especially not being a hot head. Glad to have tried it...I think...

1.72/5  rDev -44.7%

Had this monstrosity at the UFC tasting. 12 oz. bottle split amongst the group. Big thanks to Mike for this one...I think. Poured into my Deschutes snifter.

A: Poured a very cloudy yellow with a frothy white head. This looks like pee. I mean exactly like pee.

S: Big chili pepper and some spiciness. It smells like burning.

T: This is hot as shit. The pepper flavors come through in the most mouth punching way possible, I can actually taste more than one pepper which is good. The heat just dominates this though.

M: It's just straight burning. In the nostrils, tongue, throat and stomach. Very hard to drink and I can't even imagine this coming in 6 packs.

O: I hope to I never cross paths with this thing again, but I'm glad I got to tick this.

1.74/5  rDev -44.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a Dogfish head Signature Glass.

Color: Cloudy yellow with a white head.

Smell: PEPPERS! Habenero and green peppers.

Taste: Peppers again. Slight burn. OIL.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, oily, medium coarse and a light dryness on the palate.

Overall: Like drinking pepper juice. I detect no beer aspects in the aroma or taste. It was cool to try it for the novelty. That is really about it. Cheers.

1.76/5  rDev -43.4%

A spicy beer! I couldn't resist....

Poured into a pint glass, it was amber in color and slightly hazy. The nose was filled with strong aromas of sweet/spicy peppers.

The smoked serrano is the first thing I tasted followed by a subtle sweet malt/hops flavo, but I only tasted those flavors for a second before the heat took over. The heat definitely overpowers the "beer" flavors

It's different than I was expecting but definitely a fun experience, it's worth trying if you like spicy things.

1.9/5  rDev -38.9%

Bought a single bottle as an impulse buy at my local Fancy Beer Store (FBS). Pepper water. If you're used to decent Tex-Mex, nothing scary here. I really expected a bigger burn from the ghost pepper, but I've had tomatillo sauces that presented hotter. No notable beer attributes. Not tasty enough to buy as a beer; not hot enough to buy as a prank. Pick it up only if you're interested in saving the label before Wu-Tang sends a cease and desist.

1.95/5  rDev -37.3%

Poured from a bottle into a perfect pint

A- pours a straw yellow with a two finger white head that quickly fades away. Bubbles everywhere throughout the beer

S- well...it's a chile beer alright. Very smoky, spicy aroma

T- my mouth is on fire. Literally, on fire. I cannot feel anything at all. Holy crap.

M- light bodied

O- no. No. No. God no.

1.95/5  rDev -37.3%

Tried this for the novelty and I hate my mouth.

A - Poured out a slightly hazy orange color with a small, short-lived white head of foam. It left little to no lacing.

S - Smelled fire-y hot with the aroma of peppers. Not much else.

T - Wow! It burns. It just burns. I could only taste pepper in liquid form.

M - I think it was crisp and sharp, but not really sure. It makes your lips hurt.

O - I drank it for the experience with a friend. He may not ever drink any beer I ever pour for him. So more for me!

1.97/5  rDev -36.7%

Bottle purchased at Joe Bean Coffee Roasters. I dunno why I did.

Pours a clear yellow, with a little bit of haze, and no head or lacing.

Smells like really hot and vegetal peppers. Smells kind of ok actually, but I can tell this is gonna be rough.

It's rough. Big surprise. Raging, blistering pepper heat, tastes essentially like pepper juice. If I try really hard, I can sort of tell there's a beer underneath. I can't tell if it's an adjunct lager, or a blond ale, or gasoline, it doesn't really matter, it tastes rancid. No balance whatsoever.

It's pretty light bodied, but not even slightly drinkable. There's a medium amount of carbonation, I guess, it's hard to tell anything that's going on.

Stay the hell away from this. Don't even think about it. You've been warned.

Reviewing the Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company out of Boulder, Colorado

Score: 40

Unknown vintage bottle served in a 7venth Sun snifter and enjoyed on 08/24/14. Thank you Robbie Moy for the bottle...

Appearance: Pours an opaque, light orange color with a finger of cream-colored head that almost instantaneously settles entirely. No lacing or retention. 3/5

Smell: Fresh jalapenos, chili peppers, salsa, cilantro and a little tropical fruit. It's a bit vegetal, but not bad. The nose gives off the distinct impression that it is going to be pretty spicy. 3/5

Taste: There is not much flavor; just pepper heat. Vegetal chili peppers with a hint of cilantro hit initially, followed by a big spiciness on the front of the tongue that moves up the sides of the tongue before receding back and lingering on the front and top of the tongue. The center of the tongue has a lingering chili pepper flavor. This brew is one note, quite spicy and general unpleasant to drink. I'm sure it has its niche, and heat fiends probably do not find it unpalatable. However, 4 oz was my limit. 1.5/5

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, fizzy carbonation that really accentuates the heat. Spicy with a little bit of tropical fruit-like sweetness. The spiciness is long lasting. If big, lasting chili spiciness is what you want in a beer, this is your ale. 3/5

Overall: A hot, vegetal novelty that got tiresome and unpleasant before I could get halfway down the glass. If you are the kind of person that enjoys dumping a full bottle of Dave's insanity sauce on your food, I recommend you give this brew a whirl. I think I can confidently say that all others can life a happy and fulfilled life without ever having consumed this.

Cost: $3.99 for a 12 oz bottle.

12 oz bottle

No pour. - Straight from the bottle.

Little malt smell and spiciness.

You get a little malt and carbonation but the heat overwhelms it almost instantly.

Can't feel inside of your mouth to know what the body is like on this. It was wet?

Bought it on a dare. Passed it around at a party - it made it back to me with about 1/3 left. While it was being passed around - several exclamations like "OH MY GOD", "What the Hell is that?" "Water, water, water." I don't have any issues with heat - hot and spicy. But when it's so hot you can't taste anything else for 30 minutes it doesn't really serve a purpose. Buy one to cook with, maybe take a sip so you can so you did.

Probably great for a beer batter, simmering sausages or brats, and marinades.

2.02/5  rDev -35%

Poured into a pint glass. Pale straw color and hazy with little head. The carbonation is almost non-existent. The nose is hot peppers. The taste is a creeping asault of HOT peppers. With a 6 peeper blend and habanero being one of them it is not for the faint of heart. The heat is too intense for me to finish a bottle. The malt and hops just even be tasted after the first sip; they just vanish. If you split the bottle up between 4 or more people then it might get finished.

2.12/5  rDev -31.8%

I had this on tap from the American Craft Beer fest in Boston, 6/2012

A nice golden color, nothing remarkable to speak of.

The nose is nice, you definitely get the chile, but I love chile, so I enjoyed it.

There is not much taste. It just goes down. For about 5 seconds....

God damn this beer is ridiculous. I am extremely glad it was one of the last beers I drank at the festival. Your palate is, as mentioned below, just blown out after this beer. I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt at the festival and still broke out in sweat. I should have realized something was up when I asked them for the GFK and the two ladies at the booth looked at each other than pulled a pitcher out from under their table.

I regret drinking this beer but was informed by other chile heads that this was the pinnacle of that style... whatever, I'll stick to my girly imperial IPAs!!!

2.14/5  rDev -31.2%

So, interesting brew.

Appearance looks like your standard pilsner style lager, decent head, looks appetizing.

I love hot sauce and hot peppers, but the smell is awful on this beer. Starting with a nose of rancid peppers/hot sauce, the smell creeps into your throat and starts to burn. Hard to take a drink after such a terrible smell.

Taste is not much better. The heat is completely tolerable in this beer, so that is not the issue for me. Rather, the rotten pepper/hot sauce taste from the nose translates directly to the taste. Very unappealing. Maybe it would be better if I were eating some strong chili with this beer.

Overall, this is a gimmick beer, and it tastes like it. The only part of the beer I liked was the heat, maybe you could cook with this to kick up the spice in some chili. Unfortunate that the taste was so bad, I love almost anything that can bring the heat, and this beer can. If the taste were better I would seek this out regularly.

2.15/5  rDev -30.9%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle served in a pint glass, reviewed live:

A - Pours a nearly transparent straw golden color with almost no discernible head. Lively carbonation. Pretty uninviting.

S - Roasted peppers, fresh peppers and more peppers. It's impossible to distinguish any other aromas. Not really looking forward to this.

T - Bitter and poorly handled peppers dominate. Tastes like the skins from a roasted pepper. Not as spicy as I though it'd be though. Maybe a touch of base malt? Incredibly simple. Balance was thrown out the window.

M - Thin and oily.

D - None, unless eating whole habaneros is your thing. It's definitely not overly spicy, but really doesn't taste very good. Not drinkable at all.

2.17/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.25

Quick review. The only thing about this beer that moves me is the aroma, subtle & deep with multiple chile components playing together. Everything about the palate is defined by brutal spiciness - way to hot - devoid of any chile flavor in favor of brute force heat. To me, this barely reads as a beer. I can see this appealing to the hot wing challenge crowd, but beyond that I'm not sure that there could be much of a market for something so single-minded.

2.26/5  rDev -27.3%

Reviewed from notes. Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

A: Pours a somewhat hazy yellow color with a bit of carbonation and only a minimal white head.

S: Musty hot peppers, hot sauce. Maybe a little black peppery.

T: Hot pepper sauce...and that's about it.

M: I think this is a fairly light mouthfeel, but I'm in such a hurry to not have this beer linger in my mouth it's difficult to tell. Ditto for any idea of alcohol presence.

O: As positive as I can be...this could be a nice flavor for salsa, or marinade. But there's no way it belongs in a beer. I like spicy food, and would consider using it for my next batch of beer brats. After reading about it, I didn't go into this beer with high expectations, to say the least. And it disappointed. Drain pour.

2.26/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.25

Pours golden with very quickly. Smells like a great hot sauce, but not a beer. Very crisp refreshing brew behind the pepper. Crazy hot pepper here and it is just too much. Good grief. I think it is worth trying as a novelty, but I would be impressed with anyone that could put this whole bottle down themselves. I am curious if this would be a good beer for cooking as a marinade. But as is it just burns.

2.27/5  rDev -27%

Great chile pepper aroma. Big gulp-- aaarghhh! Cool practical joke. Any third-grader would find this totally hilarious. Unfortunately it's also totally undrinkable. I'm unable to detect any flavor or sensation except consuming hotness.

I'm a huge fan of chile beers, but only if they're beers flavored with peppers, not just liquid heat. This is one of the stupidest beers ever deliberately made.

2.33/5  rDev -25.1%

12oz bottle poured into a Stone Old Guardian glass.

A - Pours an unassuming pale yellow, similar to the color of the mass-marketed light beers. Despite the wheat base, this is unmistakably clear, and you can easily see that it is tepid save for the rise of a few bubbles here and there. Only about a half-finger of ghostly white head appears then fades away without fanfare.

S - The smell is a smorgasbord of chili and vegetal matter. Obviously it is predominantly spicy and the habanero and jalapeno are surprisingly easy to pinpoint (although if I were more familiar with the other varieties here, it'd probably be possible to target them as well.) I am getting maybe just the slightest notion of wheat and citrus, but I can't say for sure if it's my imagination or not.

T - This isn't my first beer brewed with chili peppers, so I'm not exactly a stranger to heat in beers, but wow. That's the first thing that comes to my mind when drinking this. I don't even have time to actually swallow my first sip before the heat kicks the door down. While other beers are a bit more subtle about it, the image on the label should tell you what this beer is all about. Any salvation the wheat could promise is swept away with my tastebuds. The positive about this beer is that you can actually taste the peppers, although they sort of blend together rather than being easier to distinguish. But yeah... I hope you like heat because that and some pepper is all you're getting here.

M - Mouthfeel is light-bodied with low carbonation. The mouthfeel is kind of a wash since it's hard to feel much of anything when the heat is simultaneously burning and numbing it. This beer also has some throatfeel and chestfeel. And probably will have some assfeel. None will be good.

D/O - Drinkability is low. This is a beer in which a little goes a long, long way. I've had this glass in front of me for almost 30 minutes and I probably drank maybe 3oz. The heat is intense, but after letting it mellow on the mouth, it gradually fades into a dull heat throb which isn't so bad actually. Honestly, split this because I couldn't imagine drinking a whole bottle of this solo. I am probably going to put the rest back into the glass and cook with it or something.

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company