Ghost Face Killah - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Twisted Pine Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-11-2011)
JakeTheDuck

4.25/5  rDev +39.8%

09-01-2014 04:00:46 | More by JakeTheDuck
Jaywalsh20

08-30-2014 12:30:58 | More by Jaywalsh20
AtrumAnimus

2.5/5  rDev -17.8%

to preface this review, I am intimately familiar with the ghost pepper. I have eaten them straight and in lots of varieties of food over the last few years. I cook with them and make my own sauces with them as well.

This one pours a very cloudy pale gold color with a decent white head that settles very quickly leaving no lacing down the glass.

I can definitely smell the pepper in this one though the rest of the nose is rather weak. I can get notes of malt but not much else.

The taste is interesting. There is sweet malt. and the ghost pepper makes it's presence known immediately. the lips really burn as I usually avoid getting the pepper directly on my lips when eating. Believe it or not, that is what burns the most (going in that is ;-). THe taste is sweet malt which goes well with heat. The flavor is overwhelmed by the pepper and really just makes this a novelty beer.

The moutfeel is very watery and somewhat disappointing.

Overall, just not a good beer. Great for a uniqueness and interesting factor, just not enjoyable. I would recommend adding some type of food that is savory to go with it.

08-27-2014 23:02:28 | More by AtrumAnimus
jegross2

Reviewing the Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company out of Boulder, Colorado

Score: 40

Unknown vintage bottle served in a 7venth Sun snifter and enjoyed on 08/24/14. Thank you Robbie Moy for the bottle...

Appearance: Pours an opaque, light orange color with a finger of cream-colored head that almost instantaneously settles entirely. No lacing or retention. 3/5

Smell: Fresh jalapenos, chili peppers, salsa, cilantro and a little tropical fruit. It's a bit vegetal, but not bad. The nose gives off the distinct impression that it is going to be pretty spicy. 3/5

Taste: There is not much flavor; just pepper heat. Vegetal chili peppers with a hint of cilantro hit initially, followed by a big spiciness on the front of the tongue that moves up the sides of the tongue before receding back and lingering on the front and top of the tongue. The center of the tongue has a lingering chili pepper flavor. This brew is one note, quite spicy and general unpleasant to drink. I'm sure it has its niche, and heat fiends probably do not find it unpalatable. However, 4 oz was my limit. 1.5/5

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, fizzy carbonation that really accentuates the heat. Spicy with a little bit of tropical fruit-like sweetness. The spiciness is long lasting. If big, lasting chili spiciness is what you want in a beer, this is your ale. 3/5

Overall: A hot, vegetal novelty that got tiresome and unpleasant before I could get halfway down the glass. If you are the kind of person that enjoys dumping a full bottle of Dave's insanity sauce on your food, I recommend you give this brew a whirl. I think I can confidently say that all others can life a happy and fulfilled life without ever having consumed this.

Cost: $3.99 for a 12 oz bottle.

08-24-2014 21:49:17 | More by jegross2

2.25/5  rDev -26%

08-22-2014 08:20:16 | More by Big_Dave
GreesyFizeek

1.97/5  rDev -35.2%

Bottle purchased at Joe Bean Coffee Roasters. I dunno why I did.

Pours a clear yellow, with a little bit of haze, and no head or lacing.

Smells like really hot and vegetal peppers. Smells kind of ok actually, but I can tell this is gonna be rough.

It's rough. Big surprise. Raging, blistering pepper heat, tastes essentially like pepper juice. If I try really hard, I can sort of tell there's a beer underneath. I can't tell if it's an adjunct lager, or a blond ale, or gasoline, it doesn't really matter, it tastes rancid. No balance whatsoever.

It's pretty light bodied, but not even slightly drinkable. There's a medium amount of carbonation, I guess, it's hard to tell anything that's going on.

Stay the hell away from this. Don't even think about it. You've been warned.

08-22-2014 02:22:58 | More by GreesyFizeek
wanderlust389

4.5/5  rDev +48%

08-20-2014 01:36:05 | More by wanderlust389
yankeej13

08-18-2014 16:31:05 | More by yankeej13
mcloud2

1.25/5  rDev -58.9%

Was handed this at a beer sampling without being warned what it was, took a sizable swig and got quite a surprise to say the least. I was expecting a refreshing beer, but instead was left with my mouth and throat burning and gasping for air. I am not sure I would qualify this as beer, so much as alcoholic pepper sauce.
The poor was a nice amber with a bit of lace that quickly disappeared. The aroma was sharp and overwhelming, and I could not discern any hops or malt over the roasted pepper. While I enjoy spicy food, I would have to say that I find spicy beer less than tolerable. I saw this as more of a novelty, but I digress, if a pepper beer is what you are looking for, you may enjoy this, but I personally found it to be just an unpleasant assault on the senses.

08-15-2014 16:45:19 | More by mcloud2

Aaron_Kerkvliet

08-08-2014 20:33:58 | More by Aaron_Kerkvliet
StonrCase

3.25/5  rDev +6.9%

Not too bad flavor, first half of taste time. The second half of the flavor time is a burnt pepper flavor, kinda different. nice color, the head disappeared as soon as I was done pouring it in the glass. Not too hot to drink, a jalapeno has a similar heat. (those who say it is hotter are stretching the truth a little.) Website for twistedpinebrewing.com was taken down today, it listed Minnesota as selling it, Minnesota does not. you can order it thru Algona Iowa and make a road-trip like I did, but at $76/case I will not make this a weekly habit. you don't want more than 2 at a time though.

08-02-2014 04:35:42 | More by StonrCase
Fettpopps

07-30-2014 00:01:05 | More by Fettpopps
aoampm

07-27-2014 06:26:33 | More by aoampm
irongator

Kansas

4.48/5  rDev +47.4%

im getting this beer a high rating because it completely advertises that you're drinking a hot pepper. Other than that you really have no expectations going into this beer so if you want to drink a pepper. This is the great beer for you so I will rate it highly based on that!

07-27-2014 01:58:41 | More by irongator
MakeMineADoubleJack

2.59/5  rDev -14.8%

I poured this into my Sam Adams perfect pint. It has a nice orange/amber coloring. The head sizzled as it dissipated, leaving no lacing. You heard that right: SIZZLED! And, yes, that was pretty damn cool.

It smells like fresh hot peppers: habanero and so on. Read the label, and you'll see just how much heat these nutbags put into this beer.

Taste follows the smell. It's all hot peppers, like you bit into them fresh at the marketplace.

Mouthfeel is the worst. My lips and tongue and throat are a burning hellfire. What were these nutbags thinking?! Was this beer meant as a Man Vs. Food challenge? "Hey, Adam Richman, drink this in less than 30 minutes."

I poured this out after several sips. It is somewhat tasty, but it's impossible to enjoy due to the immense heat. Good luck, if you dare attempt to drink it.

07-22-2014 04:43:38 | More by MakeMineADoubleJack