Microbrew Invitational

Twisted Pine Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

Added by Todd on 01-11-2011

Reviews: 174 | Ratings: 571
3.37/5  rDev +9.1%

Liquid heat. Yellow body with rapidly dissipating white foamy head. Don't get me wrong, I like my chile beers, but this is something burning pain. I am writing this 5 hours later and still feeling it. Its absolutely not too drinkable, so the rest of it is going into my slow cooking stew for later in the week.

3.34/5  rDev +8.1%

Thanks to jmgrub for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a clear yellow with a foamy tan head that fades to nothing. No lacing on this one. Smell is all about the different peppers used but overall the aromas are pretty tame and quite nice actually. Taste is nothing but incredibly hot pepper flavors with an intense heat that burns the lips, mouth, and throat with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is definitely a novelty beer and I am pretty sure nobody would realistically go for an entire bottle themselves. Quite interesting but a grueling experience to sample.

3.74/5  rDev +21%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: hazy orange body with no head.

S: lots of chili and peppercorn. Habaneros, Hot sauce.

T: Pretty ridiculous. Its like having 2 parts hot sauce, one part water. This burn lingers for a long while. Might as well stop any beer tasting you may be a part of for a while after this one. But actually, the flavor is excellent.

M: no idea. It just burns.

Overall: a must try and a must share. Perhaps 4 oz bottles would be better.

3.4/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

i know what they say about this one, but i can get behind it. it pours an unassuming lazy light amber color with a small white head. nothinig special right? wrong. "hey benny, try this brew" okay, ill try it. BOOM whoa, this is straight fire. nothing but a deep habanero burn all the way down the throat. reports from my housemates indicate that its hot on both ends as well, oh jeez. cant taste much but the heat at first, but underneath it i can tell lies a beer that is actually pretty good, some malt to it, and even some hops (i can just tell). the peppers basically ruin your night of beer drinking, better save the russian river sours for another day because you wont taste them. feel of this beer is brutal, because it destroys all sensation in the mouth and throat, and actually hurts a little. overall i respect it for what it is, but i will never touch this to my lips again. my roomate however drank a whole one, and claimed to like it, so to each his own i guess...

3.15/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.25

A: The beer is relatively clear deep yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin white head that quickly died down, leaving delicate lacing on the surface and a thin collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate to strong aromas of chili pepper varieties are present in the nose.
T: Much like the smell, the taste has a mélange of different chili pepper flavors that linger through the finish and persist into the finish.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation along with an intense amount of heat from the chili peppers. The heat doesn't really go away.
O: This beer actually has nice complexity in the smell and taste for a chili beer as you can detect sever of the different types of peppers; however I would consider this to be undrinkable unless you are a person that can easily handle buffalo wings with suicidal hot sauce.

3.24/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This beer poured out as a very clear looking yellowish orange color. The head was white for the moment that it lasted. The clarity of the beer was much different than I expects since I had seen pictures of this beer before and it was a hazy looking orange color that reminded me of volcanic lava. The head retention and lacing don't exist on this beer at all, too many pepper oils kill off the bubbles I'm assuming. The smell of the beer is loaded with pepper aromas, not much else really. The taste of the beer has a very quick malt sweetness up front that is quickly torn to shreds by the pepper flavors. The beer is spicy, it is something that needs to be sipped unless you can tolerate this type of thing. The mouthfeel it light bodied and moderately carbonated. Overall it's not something I would ever need a full bottle of. I drank only 6 oz. and it took me a while to get through it. This beer was an adventure for sure, but not one that I need to go on again.

1.95/5  rDev -36.9%

Tried this for the novelty and I hate my mouth.

A - Poured out a slightly hazy orange color with a small, short-lived white head of foam. It left little to no lacing.

S - Smelled fire-y hot with the aroma of peppers. Not much else.

T - Wow! It burns. It just burns. I could only taste pepper in liquid form.

M - I think it was crisp and sharp, but not really sure. It makes your lips hurt.

O - I drank it for the experience with a friend. He may not ever drink any beer I ever pour for him. So more for me!

2.87/5  rDev -7.1%

Brown glass bottle with twist off cap acquired at Lukas Liquor in Lone Tree and served into a Bull & Bush pilsner glass in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are low.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours no head whatsoever. Body colour is a clear pale copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looks about right for the style.

Sm: Chili pepper in gratuitous quantities. Sweet jesus, that's all there is. Smells like pure habanero. Just smelling it is starting to prepare my perspiration glands. A strong, seizing aroma.

T: Fairly spicy, but not awful with a sip. Heavy chili pepper and chili skin, sure, but it's not as bad as youtubers and beer amateurs would have you believe. A bit vinegary, actually. Acidic. Roasted pepper. It's nowhere near as spicy as I anticipated. No alcohol comes through. No yeast character. I imagine that pale malts comprise the foundation, but they're well buried. I wouldn't say I like it; it's imbalanced as all hell. It's a surprisingly decent chili beer, though. It's definitely one note. Most of the spice is in the aftertaste; if you drink too much it'll hit you in the throat.

I had milk on hand while reviewing, but I didn't end up needing any. Don't let the sensitivists convince you that it's as spicy as the brewery's marketing team wants us to think it is.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but the mouthfeel is widely irrelevant here. Adequately carbonated, with good thickness. The texture here is just a means of enabling you to consume it.

Dr: Surprisingly drinkable given its reputation. Reading some of the other reviews, I didn't think some of my fellow beeradvocate members were such panzies. This really isn't that bad as long as you sip it. Still, it'd be real tough to quaff. I'll have a bit of trouble killing this glass, but I expected it to be intolerable.

Largely a gimmicky marketing ploy. Meh.

C

3.06/5  rDev -1%

Reviewed from notes. Shared by Jeremy. An experience I never want to have again. Heat followed by more heat. Destroyed taste buds. A golden chili bomb.

3.8/5  rDev +23%

Thanks to Rudzud for sharing.

Very light fizzy head hazy honey color.

Nose smells like pure hot peppers, light malty ale, capcasin, pepper flesh.

Quite hot, lots of spice and hot pepper, very nice pepper flavor, mostly hot on the throat, light malty ale, heat hits hit at first but doesn't linger too long, light earthy quality, nice great that really hits you but doesn't destroy. Finish long heat and nice pepper flavor, light sweet sticky malt.

Mouth is med bodied but feels slightly thin as there isn't much base over the pepper, quite hot of hot peppers.

Overall pretty nice, good heat that doesn't overpower, quite hot, nice pepper flavor too.

3.09/5  rDev 0%

nice light amber pour gave way to There was a slight bit of pepper way in the back but it was not dominating by any means. The initial sip was a work of art. Sweet milk chocolate and sugar roll across the tongue with a lively and well carbonated feel that really lets the flavor pop. Moving through you start to feel a tingle on the tongue, a warming in the throat and a fire in the belly. Subtly the chili comes through, warming you as it goes, but by no means is this too big. This is perfectly blended in the flavor, rising subtly to a crescendo that then backs down as easy as it came up. Really very well done here. After taste of peppery notes, hints of chocolate as well coming through and leaving a long lasting tingling feeling that was hard to ignore. Awesome feel on this one, about as good as you can get and the drinkability was more then decent, given the style at hand. One of the first, and actually the only of its kind that I was able to put down with some form of regularity.

3.08/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance: Pours a near clear, yellow-hued body with a very small, sudsy, white head.

Smell: Smells of juiced peppers. A bit worrisome, really.

Taste: Faint taste of malted barley, then, you're immediately launched into a heap of hot peppers. Peppers here, peppers there, and plenty of singing capsaicin until the merciful, humane finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium-light carbonation.

Overall: Yes, sir, it's a Chile Beer alright and an expected undertaking to finish off my helping.

2.27/5  rDev -26.5%

Great chile pepper aroma. Big gulp-- aaarghhh! Cool practical joke. Any third-grader would find this totally hilarious. Unfortunately it's also totally undrinkable. I'm unable to detect any flavor or sensation except consuming hotness.

I'm a huge fan of chile beers, but only if they're beers flavored with peppers, not just liquid heat. This is one of the stupidest beers ever deliberately made.

3.38/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours amber in color with a white head. Nose is rather ominous. Intense pepper aroma which is very fresh and green. It smells quite spicy and actually stings the nose a little bit. The flavor is certainly hot and spicy, with some lingering heat, but not as bad as I was anticipating. Tons of pepper and really not much else that you can taste. Maybe some toasted malt if you’re lucky. Not awful, but about an ounce is plenty.

3.08/5  rDev -0.3%

Served in a Mundelein Craft Beer Festival shaker pint glass.

Thanks to twiggamortis420 for this bottle!

Having eaten a bare ghost pepper already (a perk from working at a liquor store), I had to try it in beer form. This stuff pours a clear brass topped by a half-finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose is a blast of soaked peppers, with both the heat and the chlorophyll-laden skins coming through rather clearly. A theme that continues throughout, there is very little in the way of beer present here. The taste echoes the smell, and, as expected, the heat is there from the start in gratuitous amounts. It isn't, though, unbearable by any stretch of the imagination, but it is definitely strong and overpowering. Beyond that, no real beer character is present. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a drying finish. Overall, this is a fine example of peppers' innate heat being well-mobilized by a brewer, but it is unfortunately to the detriment of any other sense of beer. It'd be one thing if the peppers complemented a beer's other flavors, but here it's just pepper heat through and through. I'd still probably have another, though...

3.2/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Another beer from my Brown Derby, Springfield MO haul... Cool Label

Pours an effervescent amber with a sliver of cream colored head. Some floaties, near zero lacing & even le ss head retention

S: Ancho peppers, I swear when I was trying smell this, some carbonation bubbles almost got in my eyes, I'm sure that would sting. Beware!

T: Big-time heat, slight apricot sweetness buried heavily. A touch of white grapejuice blends with sharp heat on the side of the toungue & back of the throat as this warms. Finishes with heat, a touch of malty sweetness & faint smokey notes

MF: Medium bodied, moderate carbonation, so warming from the chiles

One & done, too damn spicy to have more than one. I like Chile beers, but this is all blowtorch, no finesse. Worth a try, but better suited for Tex-Mex cooking

2.42/5  rDev -21.7%

This review will be very simple, because let's face it, if you know what are you are opening, you know what you are getting into.

Doesn't pour very much head. I only took a few ounces of this one. Color is a hazed pale yellow.

Aroma/Taste: Massive amounts of hot peppers. Pretty much the only thing you can taste is peppers and lots of them.

Mouthfeel: Burning. Lots of burning. Hard to leave this in your mouth very long because it is so hot.

Overall, it really isn't enjoyable because of how hot it is. I love peppers, but there was too much in this beer to make the beer drinkable. Definitely a novelty beer.

2.7/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A: Pours a crystal clear medium yellow in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some medium golden yellow highlights. The beer has a three finger tall sudsy off-white head that reduces to a medium thick film covering the entire surface of the beer with a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of pureed hot peppers and lots of them (similar to the smell that I got when I was making homemade hot sauce but even spicier). Slight vegetal aromas as well.

T: Upfront there are faint flavors of grainy malts but that is quickly overtaken by the flavors of the hot peppers/chiles. The heat from the hot peppers definitely builds as you continue to drink this beer - not so hot as to be not consumable but certainly not a real enjoyable flavor.

M: Just shy of medium bodied with slightly less than moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly watery.

O: I think this beer could have been much better with the presence of a strong citrus hop flavor/aromas (possibly lemon or lime). There is some heat to this beer and drinking the entire bottle on your own is a chore - the first few sips are interesting but then it is just tedious. Glad I tried this one (test of one's enjoyment of hot peppers) but I do not think I will be getting another of these - on a side note, I was a little worried that I was becoming immune to pepper heat but this established I can still taste it.

3.02/5  rDev -2.3%

This is a great beer to share. Because if you don't, no way in hell with it get finished. I was good for about an ounce, at best. Pure heat and pure torture if you want to drink it all.

2.92/5  rDev -5.5%

Another beer shared by Rhettroactive the other night. It poured a light golden color with a thin white head sticking to edges of the glass.

In the aroma I get a lot of vegetable like pepper qualities to it. It's got a little heat, but not that telling as to how hot it's going to be. Pretty much smells like a hot pepper. The aroma actually showed off the peppers fairly well.

The heat is pretty intense in the taste. It's definitely the hottest thing I've ever drank. A little of the pepper flavor is detectable, but otherwise it just tastes like burning.

The mouthfeel is this with carbonation being on the lower side. Overall, they definitely succeeded at making a hot as hell beer. As a chili beer, it was a cool novelty to share with friends and get some laughs from. As a beer though, it's about as drinkable as hot pepper juice is.

3.06/5  rDev -1%

Shared by Rhino.

I'm scared. The beer smells like it's about to whoop my ass. Hot red peppers, campfire smoke, blazing chili. Ok here goes...

Hot damn! Massive palate assaulting heat intensity. I'm a medium heat guy when it comes to chili, wings, Thai food, etc. This is pretty high intensity to me. An assortment of hot peppers on a medium bodied ale. Moderate carbonation. Lingering burn.

This was pretty fun. For what it is, this is done pretty well.I definitely recommend splitting the bottle several ways.

2.64/5  rDev -14.6%

I can always count on Mike (AgentZero) to hook it up, and this was no exception. Served in a Bell's tulip.

A - Quick-dissolving white foam settles to a very thing ring of bubbles, with only a few cirrus-esque wisps on the surface of the beer. No lace. The body was a lightly hazed pale orange color.

S - Reminds me of Great Dane Tri-Pepper Pilsner, but with less malt and more spice. Just a ton of chili peppers, ranging from green bell peppers to habaneros. There's a faint touch of malt, but this is pretty much all peppers. Inhaling too much made my eyes water.

T - Tastes like burning. I can't discern any actual flavors beyond the peppery spice that assaults my senses.

M - It burns - not sure if that's zesty carbonation or barbaric chili heat. My lips tingled for quite a while after taking sip. Body is light.

D - 12oz bottle was split 5 ways, an no one was successful in finishing his or her pour. Ended up making a wonderful cuvée when blended with infected Shorts PB & J. I had horrendous reflux for the rest of the night and into the early morning. Avoid unless you are a masochist.

A - copper with no head

S - peppers, very spicy, a lot of jalapeno and habanero

T - intense peppers, jalapenos mostly, intense heat in the finish from the ghost chilies but not unbearable; the taste reminds me of the pepper blend that my grandfather adds to his sausage

M - medium bodied, very spicy, warm, well carbonated

Well, this wasn't nearly as bad as some reviewers had led me to believe it would be. I certainly wouldn't enjoy this beyond the 6 oz sample that I had, but I did enjoy it for what it was. If I were to buy this again, I would buy it as an ingredient. I think this would be great in a batch of chili or even in a marinade.

2.4/5  rDev -22.3%

Poured from the bottle into a.. does it matter? A globe snifter.

A deep orange and yellow body, opaque, with no sense of anything even alive in here totally lifeless. Head barely forms half a finger of bleach white color, and fizzes out in snap sounding carbonation and dies instantly. No collar, no lacing. The beer looks like Tang in a glass.

The nose does deliver. It's a very nice smoking pepper heat, with very green and garden like smelling. Fresh, no sweetness, no acid or burning sensations. Makes me thirsty and mouthwatering just smelling it. However, there is nothing else going on here.

Palate is what it is. Quite warm chilis, but tolerable if you like that sort of thing but it comes out more as just hot black pepper than the green peppery smokey sensations on the nose. The mouthfeel on this really does not help, it's so watery and lifeless.

I wish this had some body, or even a pinch of sweetness. There is nothing beer tasting about this not even any malt presence to back it up. For novelty or chili heads only, not for beer fans.

3.67/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, purchased as a single, for about $3.95 (can you say hype?)

Pours clouded dull lighter amber, with lots of sediment kinda stuff floating around. Minimal head, film, collar and no lacing.

Strong pepper on the sniff.

This shite is HOT...as a chili pepper head and enjoyer, this one is the real deal.. ...if you do not enjoy the aroma flavor and yes burn of copious amounts of capsaisin / chili pepper flavor and heat, stay away...but if you do..this one just may be for you....I found it tasty and enjoyable...I dont really feel like another one...one will do just fine....probably would be a nice and tasty addition to a pot of fiery chili...enjoy with caution!

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company