Ghost Face Killah - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Twisted Pine Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-11-2011)
4.13/5  rDev +38.1%

In line darkness eve nice color decent retention
Smell is straight pepper heat and all.
Taste is actually drinkable if you like to melt face
Mouthfeel thin but any way you don't gulp this
Overall Prolly the best chili beer.
Thanks goes to who ever killed the bottle in my glass.

3.4/5  rDev +13.7%

One of the most "extreme" beers I've ever had, and that's saying something.
Pours a golden color with a normal head. A shade or two darker than most chili beers, but nothing overly unusual about the look.
The nose seems typical at first. I mainly got the expected Anaheim and jalapeno character...but then you get a more potent pepper note that's strong enough that it almost comes off as bitter. The nose definitely lets you know something big is on the way.
The taste is actually right up my alley as far as chili beers go. A slight sweetness initially followed by the taste of chili peppers. It's a distinct savory note, but in this particular case it's more potent than usual. There's also a smoky element to this one, which I'm guessing comes from chipotle peppers. Then all of a sudden that monster rears its head. That "bitter" pepper from the nose hits the palate like a bus. It isn't bad tasting, but it creates a wave of heat and that slight bitterness that takes over. As you swallow, the back of the palate gets hit with a wave of fire. I like spicy foods and I didn't find this unbearable, but it definitely is HOT. I've never used food to take away the heat from a beer before, but I had to grab some chips to tame this beast a little bit.
It's slow going because of the fiery nature of the beer. It's super spicy, which never ruins the taste (my palate didn't seem affected) but the burn pretty much makes this one of the slowest drinking 12oz beers I've ever had. I split my bottle and my 6oz was still more than enough. I did get curious about a beer/cheese soup made with Ghost Face Killah, though.
A crazy feat of a beer that I respect the hell out of of, but I don't think this will be anything I stock up on. I have another bottle I'll certainly drink, but I'm still more intrigued about the possibility of using it in cooking more than drinking it.

2.25/5  rDev -24.7%

4.55/5  rDev +52.2%

Preface - I always rate brews to style...

A - Very average. No head. or lacing. Very golden *slightly* murky clear color. Great bubbles.

S - Hot! Spicy and Round! Strong pepper scent. Slight wood smell too. There's not too many other scents besides Chilies.

T - Sweet JEEZSUS! Strong pepper taste! Not nearly as much heat as I thought there would be... But, very spicy nonetheless.

M - Great carbonation; perfect for the style! Heavy bodied and very wet tasting. A very complete brew.

O - Perfect for the style, not much was missed. Would be an awesome brew for a BBQ, or to sneak up on your friends with.... Very unique and delicious. I couldn't drink a whole lot of this one... But, good while it lasts, great to split with a friend, or two, or three...

Cheers!

1.25/5  rDev -58.2%

3.25/5  rDev +8.7%

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1

A: Hazy yellow pour without much head. Looks like it also has a pretty low amount of carbonation.

S: Smells like peppers and heat. Is this a beer or is it hot sauce??

T: Holy Shit. Ghost peppers. All heat. It starts as beer and then just destroys you with heat.

MF: Light, with actually a nice amount of carbonation. The aftertaste is what kills you.

O: Impressive, but damn, how could anyone drink an entire bottle of this?

3.31/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Drinking this at the brewery! This brew pours up a clear golden color. Small white head. Aroma is straight ghost pepper, which is an empty spice spice spice smell. You can feel the tingle on your nose. Now for the taste. Pale malts with a nice hop balance. Then BAM!! Spice takes over your mouth! I think this might be the same recipe as Billy's Chilies but they just add the ghost pepper. Smooth carbo, light bodied. If you can take the heat, it's a good brew

2.75/5  rDev -8%

4.18/5  rDev +39.8%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

$4.50 for the 12oz single, served in a pint glass
No ABV indicated on the bottle
Sampled 06JAN13

[A] An average pour yields a pale, golden-orange body, clear with just a touch of haze, and a full finger of fizzy head. Bright white and short lived. After fading the surface is entirely still, but visible carbonation shows a little bit of life. No lacing.

[S] Capsicum of all kinds. Green, orange, red, fresh, charred, seedy and fleshy. The nose is literally 'pepper' in every way imaginable. Other than that, pretty straightforward.

[T] The front end of the palate actually has a touch of sweetness. And the first wave of heat is very soft and approachable. Then, the intensity heightens after the swallow, but it never becomes extreme. It is impossible to say for sure, but the base beer seems pretty darn solid. It works as a great canvas for the layers and layers of pepper and heat. I'm digging this.

[M] The mouthfeel is surprisingly complete. Medium full and chewier than expected. My saliva starts to thicken on the second half of the bottle.

[O] I bought this bottle for the novelty of it, honestly. But I will say this: Ghostface Killah is actually a very good beer - and even better when considering the style. Sure, it's for those with an affinity for heat, but those who crave a little fire will not find it to be over the top. I finished the bottle no problem.

2.75/5  rDev -8%

4.03/5  rDev +34.8%

Review 666... Thanks to many for these bottles. 12oz into taster glass, split among friends.

A- Pale bright gold, fizzy head fades quickly.

S- Intense chile and smoke. Liquid fire. Strong chile oil.

T- Great green pepper taste, like fresh jalapenos. Then comes the heat wave. holy moley, this is hot. A warmness coats the mouth, and slowly builds and moves down the throat. Hot. As. Hell. Really nails the chile flavor though, it's not just heat.

M- Quite literally, I feel like Homer eating the Merciless Pepper of Quetzalacatenango. By far the hottest beer I've ever had.

O- Enjoyable in very small quantities. I drank maaaybe 1/5 of a bottle, it made its way around to a lot of people. A great chile beer, although it's too hot for me to enjoy more than a few sips of.

#666