2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ghost Face Killah - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Ghost Face KillahGhost Face Killah

Twisted Pine Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-11-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 400 | Reviews: 139 | Show All Ratings:
pigc

Nebraska

2.6/5  rDev -15%

A - Pours a light blond color with one finger head.

S - Holy cow! Watch out. Peppers, peppers, and more peppers!

T - Holy shit this beer is hot! Blast of jalapeno, serrano, and the infamous ghost pepper. Burns your esophagus as it goes down!

M - Thin to medium and hot, hot, hot!

O - Interesting beer to try once. I split this 12oz. beer three ways with two buddies and not one of us could finish it. Was not even a bit pleasurable drinking it. Had to chase it with another beer. Just crazy hot and I enjoy my share of spice and kick. This beer was fun but...C'mon man!

01-15-2012 03:41:26 | More by pigc
ArrogantB

3.05/5  rDev -0.3%

Off top this is a novelty beer. Golden color, looks like a beer. The smell gives a very good indicator of what you can expect, smoky peppers, just foreboding in every sense of the word. the flavor is smoky pepper, maybe that is the serrano? It then quickly morphs into heat that is not a joke. I love hot foods so this did not phase me but make no mistake this beer is hot and you will feel it in your tongue. I had to try this beer because I have had good chile beers from Coopersmith's and Stone 11.11.11 but I won't revisit this.

01-12-2012 04:52:08 | More by ArrogantB
Domingo

3.4/5  rDev +11.1%

One of the most "extreme" beers I've ever had, and that's saying something.
Pours a golden color with a normal head. A shade or two darker than most chili beers, but nothing overly unusual about the look.
The nose seems typical at first. I mainly got the expected Anaheim and jalapeno character...but then you get a more potent pepper note that's strong enough that it almost comes off as bitter. The nose definitely lets you know something big is on the way.
The taste is actually right up my alley as far as chili beers go. A slight sweetness initially followed by the taste of chili peppers. It's a distinct savory note, but in this particular case it's more potent than usual. There's also a smoky element to this one, which I'm guessing comes from chipotle peppers. Then all of a sudden that monster rears its head. That "bitter" pepper from the nose hits the palate like a bus. It isn't bad tasting, but it creates a wave of heat and that slight bitterness that takes over. As you swallow, the back of the palate gets hit with a wave of fire. I like spicy foods and I didn't find this unbearable, but it definitely is HOT. I've never used food to take away the heat from a beer before, but I had to grab some chips to tame this beast a little bit.
It's slow going because of the fiery nature of the beer. It's super spicy, which never ruins the taste (my palate didn't seem affected) but the burn pretty much makes this one of the slowest drinking 12oz beers I've ever had. I split my bottle and my 6oz was still more than enough. I did get curious about a beer/cheese soup made with Ghost Face Killah, though.
A crazy feat of a beer that I respect the hell out of of, but I don't think this will be anything I stock up on. I have another bottle I'll certainly drink, but I'm still more intrigued about the possibility of using it in cooking more than drinking it.

01-07-2012 15:38:25 | More by Domingo
Spider889

4.03/5  rDev +31.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to MbpBugeye for sharing this bottle. This was one of the rare instances where a 12oz bottle made it around a 15 person tasting and there was still a few oz left behind. I manned up and took almost 2oz, which, for this beer, is plenty (at least unless it is the only thing you intend to taste the rest of the day).

A - Really light yellow color. Very clear. Minute white head.

S - Smells of jalapeno (which I describe is mildly spicy chile and green pepper), onion peels, and hot red chiles.

T - Very spicy. It;s a heat the builds (and builds quickly), but is excellent for what the beer's aim is. I really enjoy spicy food, so I was enjoying Ghost Face Killah, but I can easily see where this would become overwhelming for the average person.

M - Sticky, almost slimy with long linger bitterness (and chile burn).

O - As far as "chile beers" go, this has got to be one of the best. A fun tick at the very least.

12-29-2011 08:56:37 | More by Spider889
quirkzoo

2.35/5  rDev -23.2%

When poured this looks like your average beer. But then you smell it and it is all peppers. No hops, no malt, just hot, hot peppers. Taste is more of the same. I appreciated how the peppers retained their own character, there was definite complexity within the pepper flavor but that was all I tasted and it was extremely spicy. It flooded my entire mouth and throat with hot spicy tingling. The mouthfeel just shot hot hot heat all around and the carbonation just made the spiciness explode. Overall I am glad I tried it. I am not big on spicy foods but I was surprised by how well they captured the complexities of the chile's used. If you like chile's and hot foods you should definitely seek this out.

11-09-2011 20:37:00 | More by quirkzoo
tjkinate

3.08/5  rDev +0.7%

I was scared to try this one!

A: A small head with little retention topped this pale yellow brew that had a surprisingly orange core. No lacing to speak of.

S: Holy jalapeno batman! Lots of spice with cloves and earthy notes. Kinda hard to smell anymore, so spicy.

T: Yup, as spicy as I thought it would be. Not a chugger thats for sure. Have to put this beer in the novelty category.

M: Spicy

O: Cool beer to try, wouldn't seek it out again in the future.

11-08-2011 21:59:24 | More by tjkinate
crosamich

3.73/5  rDev +21.9%

All these pansies talking about acid reflux and indigestion? :) -wasn't caused by this beer. A buddy and I finished a half bottle each with no problems and no seering pain or anything. It is definitely hot with what I call a "pleasant" tingle in the mouth. Base beer is solid and the peppers take the frontstage. I traded for more after I picked up the first couple bottles.

11-05-2011 14:50:14 | More by crosamich
sliverX

S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

4.13/5  rDev +35%

In line darkness eve nice color decent retention
Smell is straight pepper heat and all.
Taste is actually drinkable if you like to melt face
Mouthfeel thin but any way you don't gulp this
Overall Prolly the best chili beer.
Thanks goes to who ever killed the bottle in my glass.

10-22-2011 05:59:11 | More by sliverX
AgentZero

3.03/5  rDev -1%

Thanks to phillyswear for this great extra.

A - Orangish color that gets lighter on the sides. Quick dissolving head that left some wisps on the sides of the glass.

S - Like Alex said, this reminds me a lot of the Tri-Pepper Pilsner. The peppers are a bit spicey, but seem more like green peppers than anything else.

T - Wow, it's really peppery, as in really spicey peppery. I actually pick up a couple of distinct different pepper notes including the more spicey kinds as well as the ones that are just full on heat. Given what this was trying to accomplish, it's quite well done as it's relatively tasty, although hotter than blazes. Wouldn't say it's great, but not bad.

M - It burns like fire. Decent carbonation, medium boded.

O - I thought this was fine for what it was. Doesn't taste bad, doesn't taste particularly great, but if you were trying to make a beer that would blow your tastebuds to hell with pepper spice, it does what it accomplishes in an acceptable way.

On a post note, I eat a ton of spicey food and have a very high tolerance. The sheer acidity of this beer though caused me massive heartburn (an unusual thing) that forced me to go out at 4:30 am for Zantac. If you feel the need to tick this, beware.

10-12-2011 04:04:07 | More by AgentZero
Sean9689

2.75/5  rDev -10.1%

Muthafu****, thanks Mike! 12oz bottle into Bell's tulip.

A - Pours a slight hazy orange/yellow color, not much white foam, thin ring, wisps.

S - Lots of peppers, very peppery-hot, and that's about it for me.

T - Ouch, this one hurts my mouth/throat/stomach/etc. Very hot, tons of chili peppers, would be good to mix into a mild salsa but not good to continue drinking.

M - 3rd degree burns on the inside of my body. I tried not to spill any on my cloths or furniture for fear or catching on fire. Light carbonation but the peppers add a spitz that makes up for that.

O - Well, the name is cool and it's f'n hot. So, I think they pretty much captured what they went out to do here. I couldn't drink much, but it's def as-advertisted. Hot a shit. If you like hot salsa or anything with peppers, try this. Hurts to drink, so that's a negative.

10-10-2011 17:50:43 | More by Sean9689
MasterSki

2.58/5  rDev -15.7%

I can always count on Mike (AgentZero) to hook it up, and this was no exception. Served in a Bell's tulip.

A - Quick-dissolving white foam settles to a very thing ring of bubbles, with only a few cirrus-esque wisps on the surface of the beer. No lace. The body was a lightly hazed pale orange color.

S - Reminds me of Great Dane Tri-Pepper Pilsner, but with less malt and more spice. Just a ton of chili peppers, ranging from green bell peppers to habaneros. There's a faint touch of malt, but this is pretty much all peppers. Inhaling too much made my eyes water.

T - Tastes like burning. I can't discern any actual flavors beyond the peppery spice that assaults my senses.

M - It burns - not sure if that's zesty carbonation or barbaric chili heat. My lips tingled for quite a while after taking sip. Body is light.

D - 12oz bottle was split 5 ways, an no one was successful in finishing his or her pour. Ended up making a wonderful cuvée when blended with infected Shorts PB & J. I had horrendous reflux for the rest of the night and into the early morning. Avoid unless you are a masochist.

10-10-2011 03:49:08 | More by MasterSki
EgadBananas

Louisiana

1.55/5  rDev -49.3%

Thanks to ThirstyHerf for the opportunity! Shared with injuredreserve because I'm not suicidal... he however was, trudging through all 8 ounces he decided to pour himself.

Pours a hazy/cloudy pale straw color. Looks slightly wheat based. Head was white, and not long lasting.

Aroma was spicy. It's slightly misleading as it was spicy, but it didn't seem... menacing so to speak.

Holy hell...literally. A small sip induced uncontrollable coughing and a burn lasting about 15 minutes. After the burn calmed, I attempted another sip, and put it down much faster this time and it was a little less destroying. I could resist coughing the faster I put it away. Naturally, drinkability is nonexistent.

This is punishment. No enjoyment can really be had here, especially not being a hot head. Glad to have tried it...I think...

10-09-2011 18:47:40 | More by EgadBananas
Treebs

1.68/5  rDev -45.1%

Had this monstrosity at the UFC tasting. 12 oz. bottle split amongst the group. Big thanks to Mike for this one...I think. Poured into my Deschutes snifter.

A: Poured a very cloudy yellow with a frothy white head. This looks like pee. I mean exactly like pee.

S: Big chili pepper and some spiciness. It smells like burning.

T: This is hot as shit. The pepper flavors come through in the most mouth punching way possible, I can actually taste more than one pepper which is good. The heat just dominates this though.

M: It's just straight burning. In the nostrils, tongue, throat and stomach. Very hard to drink and I can't even imagine this coming in 6 packs.

O: I hope to I never cross paths with this thing again, but I'm glad I got to tick this.

10-09-2011 16:02:53 | More by Treebs
Mora2000

3.68/5  rDev +20.3%

Thanks to someone for sharing this at the May Freetail bottle release. When I saw this beer brought out I had no idea what to think. I love spicy food, but I am not a huge fan of chili beers so this should be interesting.

The beer pours a basic yellow color with a large white head. The aroma is very heavy on the peppers. There may be a little bit of malt mixed in, but this smells like you just stuck your head in a bucket of peppers.

The flavor is more of the same. I get a ton of heat when I drink the beer but there is also some nice pepper flavors. I can't say that I can pick out the individual chilis, but it is definitely more complex than the flavor in Billy's Chilis and some of the other pepper beers I have tried - such as the infamous Cave Creek Chili Beer. The heat lingers after the beer has left your mouth.

Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation. This is a hard beer to rate since it is so unlike most other beers, but I did like it.

09-10-2011 20:40:35 | More by Mora2000
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

3.08/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance: Pours a near clear, yellow-hued body with a very small, sudsy, white head.

Smell: Smells of juiced peppers. A bit worrisome, really.

Taste: Faint taste of malted barley, then, you're immediately launched into a heap of hot peppers. Peppers here, peppers there, and plenty of singing capsaicin until the merciful, humane finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium-light carbonation.

Overall: Yes, sir, it's a Chile Beer alright and an expected undertaking to finish off my helping.

08-27-2011 17:08:40 | More by ChainGangGuy
baconsausage

Vermont

3.55/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pour looks like you would expect a macro lager to look like, yellow and fizzy. Aroma of peppers abounds, taste is a bit sweet at first, corny, then gives way to the peppers. Not to hot, but defanatly has some heat to it. Swish it around in you mouth for a bit. A lot of jalapeño and ancho flavor is strong to me. Good for a pepper beer, would like to try a freshie.

08-10-2011 21:51:10 | More by baconsausage
nrbw23

2.38/5  rDev -22.2%

A- Pours a clear amber color with just a handful of bubbles for head. Head is gone pretty quick and leaves some nice lacing.

S- Wow quite a bit of peppers jumping out at me. Pretty cool smelling, but not really smelling like a beer either. Different but cool at the same time.

T- Again wow this dude is pretty hot. I'm not really surprised but finding this very odd to drink as a brew. More like drinking a hot sauce than a beer.

M- Medium in body and low carbonation.

O- Pretty cool since it has the ghost chili in it and seeing the guy from Man vs Food almost kill himself eating them. I drink just a bit of this one and my stomach felt it. I'd say this one would be really hard to drink.

07-31-2011 07:44:30 | More by nrbw23
mactrail

2.15/5  rDev -29.7%

Great chile pepper aroma. Big gulp-- aaarghhh! Cool practical joke. Any third-grader would find this totally hilarious. Unfortunately it's also totally undrinkable. I'm unable to detect any flavor or sensation except consuming hotness.

I'm a huge fan of chile beers, but only if they're beers flavored with peppers, not just liquid heat. This is one of the stupidest beers ever deliberately made.

07-18-2011 04:00:48 | More by mactrail
4DAloveofSTOUT

3.88/5  rDev +26.8%

Thanks for this cool extra Danilo!

Drank last night, reviewed from notes.

poured into sam Adams pint glass.

Appearance: Straw gold bodied beer with a white fizzy head that is gone almost by the time the beer is finished pouring.

Smell: This beer is all pepper. U can get a nice fresh smell of peppers. Mostly reminds me of green peppers. Also has a smokey noted in the nose. It really reminds of being the garden. The nose is the stand out part of this beer. Impressive.

Taste: Peppers taste similiar to green pepper just like the smell. Also has a mild smokey note and can taste a slight meaty note almost like bacon. After that, it gets hot and you feel the burn and then the after burn. All the way down the throat.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied beer with moderate carbonation.

Overall: This is a one and done beer for me. I am glad I got the opportunity to try this beer. Its best pepper beer I have ever had. Too hot for my liking, but that was this beers purpose. Pepper beers are just not my thing!

07-16-2011 19:57:23 | More by 4DAloveofSTOUT
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.1/5  rDev +1.3%

nice light amber pour gave way to There was a slight bit of pepper way in the back but it was not dominating by any means. The initial sip was a work of art. Sweet milk chocolate and sugar roll across the tongue with a lively and well carbonated feel that really lets the flavor pop. Moving through you start to feel a tingle on the tongue, a warming in the throat and a fire in the belly. Subtly the chili comes through, warming you as it goes, but by no means is this too big. This is perfectly blended in the flavor, rising subtly to a crescendo that then backs down as easy as it came up. Really very well done here. After taste of peppery notes, hints of chocolate as well coming through and leaving a long lasting tingling feeling that was hard to ignore. Awesome feel on this one, about as good as you can get and the drinkability was more then decent, given the style at hand. One of the first, and actually the only of its kind that I was able to put down with some form of regularity.

07-12-2011 01:37:00 | More by mikesgroove
Arbitrator

Chilled bottle into a glass. Opened by alfrantzell, sent by ShogoKawada. Thanks dudes.

A: Pours a clear straw body.

S: Very spicy nose. I am not a chili connoisseur, so I can't pick out which varieties I'm smelling. But it's spicy.

T: To borrow a largadism, this is the chiliest beer I've ever had that wasn't an alfrantzell production. It's incredibly spicy, delivering waves and waves of heat and burn, but in a pleasant way (I like spice). The drawback is that it has no malt, no hop, nothing beer-like. It's firewater.

M: One-dimensional in flavor, but the mouthfeel is pleasant; it leaves a nice, coating burn that promises the Ring of Fire the next day. Good stuff.

O: A very good gimmick beverage. This really doesn't taste like beer, though. I'm glad I tried it, but i wouldn't have it again or recommend it to others unless they're interested in the gimmick itself.

07-04-2011 02:47:29 | More by Arbitrator
waltonc

2.35/5  rDev -23.2%

Pours clear gold with white head. Smells of pretty much nothing but fresh chili peppers. And the taste is also dominated by chili peppers. No other flavor components to speak of. This beer does not burn your tongue, but builds up quite a burn in the back of the throat after a couple sips. Really not sure what the point of making this beer is. Not worth seeking out unless you're attracted to the gimmick factor.

06-26-2011 16:40:52 | More by waltonc
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

4.03/5  rDev +31.7%

Review 666... Thanks to many for these bottles. 12oz into taster glass, split among friends.

A- Pale bright gold, fizzy head fades quickly.

S- Intense chile and smoke. Liquid fire. Strong chile oil.

T- Great green pepper taste, like fresh jalapenos. Then comes the heat wave. holy moley, this is hot. A warmness coats the mouth, and slowly builds and moves down the throat. Hot. As. Hell. Really nails the chile flavor though, it's not just heat.

M- Quite literally, I feel like Homer eating the Merciless Pepper of Quetzalacatenango. By far the hottest beer I've ever had.

O- Enjoyable in very small quantities. I drank maaaybe 1/5 of a bottle, it made its way around to a lot of people. A great chile beer, although it's too hot for me to enjoy more than a few sips of.

#666

06-24-2011 23:42:26 | More by ShogoKawada
JCDenver

Pours a pale, clear, gold/yellow with almost zero head.

Smell is of fresh chilies, and honestly, it is the best thing about this beer. I'd compare it to what you get from walking through a summer garden in bloom, or the aroma that permeates the air when you are making fresh salsa. Really nice.

Fresh chilis carry through to the palate, with a nice, slow, intense burn coming through on the end. Extremely long finish. It's intense, and it is as hot as advertised, but I like it. And yes, I am sweating. This beer is hot. It is pretty much one note, but it is a good one note. If they set out to make an extremely spicy beer that is still pretty drinkable, they succeeded.

Medium bodied, pretty clean and crisp.

Overall, I very much enjoyed it. It goes without saying that I won't be drinking a half dozen of these on a hot day, but as far as the style goes, I think they nailed it.

06-24-2011 01:24:07 | More by JCDenver
yeahnatenelson

3.85/5  rDev +25.8%

Appearance -- pours a pale straw hue with a slim fizzy head. Not thrilling.

Smell -- The nose is greeted with an abundance of green chile, woodsmoke, lager yeast fermentation notes, and the faint presence of floral hops. The aroma of chiles was at the forefront and well-presented. Actually, pretty nice if you're looking for fresh chile aroma.

Taste -- Again, the chile presence is at the forefront, largely of Anaheims with a bit of the smoked chiles in the background. There's still enough base beer presence to keep this from being boring: pilsner malt, gentle plum-like fermentation character and floral hops. The heat is strong, certainly, but not overpowering.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall -- While I feel that this is a great showcase for the chiles, I still would not want to drink this on a regular basis, or possibly ever again. Still, I'm glad I tried it.

06-19-2011 23:45:01 | More by yeahnatenelson