Ghost Face Killah - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Twisted Pine Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-11-2011)

I had to give this beer that is billed as "the hottest beer in the world" a try when I saw it on the shelf of my local store. And hot it most certainly is! There were about 6 of us that sampled it- some said moderately hot, but others like myself thought it was flaming hot. The flavor wasn't all that bad before the incredible heat set in. But it is what it is...a novelty, yet interesting, beer to be shared with friends to see who can handle the heat.

2.68/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A: Pours a crystal clear medium yellow in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some medium golden yellow highlights. The beer has a three finger tall sudsy off-white head that reduces to a medium thick film covering the entire surface of the beer with a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of pureed hot peppers and lots of them (similar to the smell that I got when I was making homemade hot sauce but even spicier). Slight vegetal aromas as well.

T: Upfront there are faint flavors of grainy malts but that is quickly overtaken by the flavors of the hot peppers/chiles. The heat from the hot peppers definitely builds as you continue to drink this beer - not so hot as to be not consumable but certainly not a real enjoyable flavor.

M: Just shy of medium bodied with slightly less than moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly watery.

O: I think this beer could have been much better with the presence of a strong citrus hop flavor/aromas (possibly lemon or lime). There is some heat to this beer and drinking the entire bottle on your own is a chore - the first few sips are interesting but then it is just tedious. Glad I tried this one (test of one's enjoyment of hot peppers) but I do not think I will be getting another of these - on a side note, I was a little worried that I was becoming immune to pepper heat but this established I can still taste it.

1.3/5  rDev -56.5%

Since I like heat in my beer I thought there might be something redeeming about this one. Once I cracked it I realized that the likelihood of this being poured down the drain is high.

Once poured it looks like a severely watered down ice tea. Maybe the only thing about this beer actually that isn't bad is the head which is ok. After the beer settles down it looks like a cider beer.

The smell is horrific. Not really sure how to describe it, and maybe it's best not to try. I'll just leave it as horrific.

The taste, well it's pure burn. Now I'll be the first to say, the beer clearly states that it really hot and I was expecting exactly that. The heat is insane. It's way over the top, so much so that there really isn't any taste, just burn. I think anyone can get a bunch of really hot peppers and home brew something as bad.

Mouth feel, is well, I really can't feel my mouth at the moment. Heat, heat, heat...

Overall, I know it's a gimmick beer but its really bad. I guess if you are someone that likes atomic wings then you would maybe like the novelty of this but it's a really bad beer otherwise. But basically they hit there goal of making the hottest beer ever, but they forgot about taste. Actually, I came back to this review cause hours later I was still thinking how bad this beer tastes. By far the worst beer I ever had.

3.1/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a cloudy muddy straw with a finger of fizzy head that dissipated almost instantly. The nose is distinctly hot peppers. The flavor qualities of the beer are near impossible to determine because the heat from the peppers is so pronounced. The finish brings lingering heat. The heat is not so deadly that it prevented me from finishing the bottle, but it is hard to image enjoying this beer with food or with other beers of any style.

Beyond proving to myself that I could handle it, I am not sure what purpose was served by my finishing this beer. At best, this is a novelty that should be tried once. Possibly, the only props that I can give this beer is that there is truth in advertising - they claim that it is hot and it certainly is hot.

1.75/5  rDev -41.5%

4.25/5  rDev +42.1%

2.5/5  rDev -16.4%

3.5/5  rDev +17.1%

3.75/5  rDev +25.4%

2.75/5  rDev -8%

2.75/5  rDev -8%

3.46/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

- Brewed with ghost pepper (bhut Jolokia), Serrano, jalapeno, habanero, fresno, & anaheim chili peppers.

A: A glass consuming head, off white, fills the vessel to near capacity upon the pour, blink, and you may miss it, instantanously disipating right before the eyes to a near polished surface, certainly one of the most bizzare instances ive ever seen. Hazy tangerine orange with a good rate of carbonation can be seen along with some peppery haze and some seeds.

S: The chili peppers are no stranger and are not shy by any means, strong, fresh and wet, bringing a tear to the eye if you venture to close. Will straighten out and twitch your nostril hairs with to big of a wiff. You can definitly smell the hot, spiciness of the ghost pepper and jalapenos the most. I detected some fresh green peppers and habanero. The chili peppers are definitly fresh, hot and juicy here like you just sliced them open.

T: The flavor is hot and spicy, red peppers, habaneros, and the ghost pepper quickly creep up on you after a short initial pause where you may think this isn't so bad. Pure liquid heat that provides a lasting warmth behind.

M: had a slight syrupy nature to it, some substance from the malt, but the main focus is the sting of chili juices that glow the inner cheeks and tongue. I held onto this for a good minute or two which felt like a life time. The heat lingers long after the swallow and takes up residence with a fire in the belly.

O: Sip this slowly, i actually waited to this warmed up a bit to make the chili presence more pronounced and get the most heat out of the peppers. Faster sips are more tolearable for the not so daring. Most of the heat comes after the swallow with a sting of on the tongue. Probably the hottest chili beer ive consumed. The malt base is more respectable then daves. You tongue does eventually become numb mid drink and the beer becomes much easier to consume. This is flat out scorchville assault of chili peppers, its hard to judge this, it follows the guidelines with a light malt base so it would be unfair to judge this against smoked chipotle stout styles, where a stout chili beer has more chocolate/roast malt attributes. This is what it is, a dare, an intriquing try, and one to experience for the chili fan or looking to spring on those unsuspecting friends.

2.53/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a nonic.

A: Deep golden hue. With a little rising effervescence. No head. (I think... I couldn't really see because my eyes were burning). No lacing.

S: Pickled jalapenos, vinegar, mustard, and couple of days too long in the fridge raw beef.

T: Peppers.... nothing else.

M: Light body with a lingering salty, vinegary, very very hot peppery finish that lingers on the palate and lips.

D: Sip and then pour it out.

I think the following is irrelevant since this is a novelty brew... but then again, that could be said for the whole review.

Atmosphere is okay I guess. Deep golden hue, slight rising effervescence, no head, no lacing. Nose is peppers and vinegar. Flavor.... peppers... hot... very hot... nothing else. Mouth and lips burn after a sip for about an hour after. Overall, this is... a beer I guess.

3.75/5  rDev +25.4%