Follow our progress ...

Twisted Pine Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

Added by Todd on 01-11-2011

Reviews: 174 | Ratings: 574
2.5/5  rDev -19.1%

to preface this review, I am intimately familiar with the ghost pepper. I have eaten them straight and in lots of varieties of food over the last few years. I cook with them and make my own sauces with them as well.

This one pours a very cloudy pale gold color with a decent white head that settles very quickly leaving no lacing down the glass.

I can definitely smell the pepper in this one though the rest of the nose is rather weak. I can get notes of malt but not much else.

The taste is interesting. There is sweet malt. and the ghost pepper makes it's presence known immediately. the lips really burn as I usually avoid getting the pepper directly on my lips when eating. Believe it or not, that is what burns the most (going in that is ;-). THe taste is sweet malt which goes well with heat. The flavor is overwhelmed by the pepper and really just makes this a novelty beer.

The moutfeel is very watery and somewhat disappointing.

Overall, just not a good beer. Great for a uniqueness and interesting factor, just not enjoyable. I would recommend adding some type of food that is savory to go with it.

Reviewing the Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company out of Boulder, Colorado

Score: 40

Unknown vintage bottle served in a 7venth Sun snifter and enjoyed on 08/24/14. Thank you Robbie Moy for the bottle...

Appearance: Pours an opaque, light orange color with a finger of cream-colored head that almost instantaneously settles entirely. No lacing or retention. 3/5

Smell: Fresh jalapenos, chili peppers, salsa, cilantro and a little tropical fruit. It's a bit vegetal, but not bad. The nose gives off the distinct impression that it is going to be pretty spicy. 3/5

Taste: There is not much flavor; just pepper heat. Vegetal chili peppers with a hint of cilantro hit initially, followed by a big spiciness on the front of the tongue that moves up the sides of the tongue before receding back and lingering on the front and top of the tongue. The center of the tongue has a lingering chili pepper flavor. This brew is one note, quite spicy and general unpleasant to drink. I'm sure it has its niche, and heat fiends probably do not find it unpalatable. However, 4 oz was my limit. 1.5/5

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, fizzy carbonation that really accentuates the heat. Spicy with a little bit of tropical fruit-like sweetness. The spiciness is long lasting. If big, lasting chili spiciness is what you want in a beer, this is your ale. 3/5

Overall: A hot, vegetal novelty that got tiresome and unpleasant before I could get halfway down the glass. If you are the kind of person that enjoys dumping a full bottle of Dave's insanity sauce on your food, I recommend you give this brew a whirl. I think I can confidently say that all others can life a happy and fulfilled life without ever having consumed this.

Cost: $3.99 for a 12 oz bottle.

1.97/5  rDev -36.2%

Bottle purchased at Joe Bean Coffee Roasters. I dunno why I did.

Pours a clear yellow, with a little bit of haze, and no head or lacing.

Smells like really hot and vegetal peppers. Smells kind of ok actually, but I can tell this is gonna be rough.

It's rough. Big surprise. Raging, blistering pepper heat, tastes essentially like pepper juice. If I try really hard, I can sort of tell there's a beer underneath. I can't tell if it's an adjunct lager, or a blond ale, or gasoline, it doesn't really matter, it tastes rancid. No balance whatsoever.

It's pretty light bodied, but not even slightly drinkable. There's a medium amount of carbonation, I guess, it's hard to tell anything that's going on.

Stay the hell away from this. Don't even think about it. You've been warned.

1.25/5  rDev -59.5%

Was handed this at a beer sampling without being warned what it was, took a sizable swig and got quite a surprise to say the least. I was expecting a refreshing beer, but instead was left with my mouth and throat burning and gasping for air. I am not sure I would qualify this as beer, so much as alcoholic pepper sauce.
The poor was a nice amber with a bit of lace that quickly disappeared. The aroma was sharp and overwhelming, and I could not discern any hops or malt over the roasted pepper. While I enjoy spicy food, I would have to say that I find spicy beer less than tolerable. I saw this as more of a novelty, but I digress, if a pepper beer is what you are looking for, you may enjoy this, but I personally found it to be just an unpleasant assault on the senses.

3.23/5  rDev +4.5%

Not too bad flavor, first half of taste time. The second half of the flavor time is a burnt pepper flavor, kinda different. nice color, the head disappeared as soon as I was done pouring it in the glass. Not too hot to drink, a jalapeno has a similar heat. (those who say it is hotter are stretching the truth a little.) Website for twistedpinebrewing.com was taken down today, it listed Minnesota as selling it, Minnesota does not. you can order it thru Algona Iowa and make a road-trip like I did, but at $76/case I will not make this a weekly habit. you don't want more than 2 at a time though.

4.47/5  rDev +44.7%

im getting this beer a high rating because it completely advertises that you're drinking a hot pepper. Other than that you really have no expectations going into this beer so if you want to drink a pepper. This is the great beer for you so I will rate it highly based on that!

2.59/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1

I poured this into my Sam Adams perfect pint. It has a nice orange/amber coloring. The head sizzled as it dissipated, leaving no lacing. You heard that right: SIZZLED! And, yes, that was pretty damn cool.

It smells like fresh hot peppers: habanero and so on. Read the label, and you'll see just how much heat these nutbags put into this beer.

Taste follows the smell. It's all hot peppers, like you bit into them fresh at the marketplace.

Mouthfeel is the worst. My lips and tongue and throat are a burning hellfire. What were these nutbags thinking?! Was this beer meant as a Man Vs. Food challenge? "Hey, Adam Richman, drink this in less than 30 minutes."

I poured this out after several sips. It is somewhat tasty, but it's impossible to enjoy due to the immense heat. Good luck, if you dare attempt to drink it.

4.54/5  rDev +46.9%

Poured into an IPA glass.

Look: Dull rusty cantaloupe color. The head disappears in nano-seconds.
No lacing.

Aroma: Peppers. Hot peppers.

Taste: Hell in a glass. My throat burns. And it tastes like every pepper. Every pepper.

Mouthfeel: Can't really tell as seeing how there's a fucking fire in my mouth.

Overall: The hottest pepper beer ever, and the best.

3.36/5  rDev +8.7%

How could I not try a beer called Ghost Face Killah? I have been craving a chile beer and this one promised to be spicy. I like spicy but just could not finish 12 oz of this based on the heat alone. Not bad, but way too hot to be a go-to beer for me. I might use it as a novelty or give it to my enemies. This beer is simply hot. as. fuck. That is all.

3.06/5  rDev -1%

Sampled this evening on 5/22/14 but that this one back in late 2012 once before. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a handled glass stein.

This 'Chile' Beer' style contains 6 different peppers including Anaheim, Fresno, Jalapeño, Serrano, Habenero, and Ghost chiles! Pours a coppery amber in color with no head to speak of with no lacing really to speak of as well. A bit heavy on the carbonation. Aroma is of various hot peppers with some sweet malt. The taste is would be excepted, spicy with heat that makes you want to drink it fast. A tad on the vinegary side. It was different of course and made the top of my head sweat some. LOL! If hot pepper is your style of beer, then here you go!

Was pre-gaming whilst waiting for guests to arrive for what turned out to be an epic rager. My brother dared me to chug this, so I transferred the liquid from bottle to nonic style glass and proceeded to slam this beer, hard. It set my insides ablaze. Loved it.

3.41/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice gold with a white head that dissipates super quick. First whiff will cause you to cough. Initial sip is pretty good and you can taste some pepper. It takes a secon or two but then you feel the burn. Has a nice body to it and I really liked this beer. I would not drink it every day but I can enjoy this once or twice a year. If you like hit and spicy this beer is for you. My nose is still running as I write this!

3.79/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into fluted snifter; looks like an IPA, golden yellow-orange with a moderate white head that fades quickly, fizzy.
Smells of all chiles. Chipotle, green jalapeno, very crisp vegetal chile scent that is really appetizing. Not much hint of the hotter habanero or ghost peppers in the smell, except for a ghostly twang in the nostril at the very end of a hard, close sniff.
Taste...not nearly as hot as everyone made it out to be. Then again, I love spicy things. Anyways, it starts off with some smooth, slightly sweet corn malt. Your tongue begins to tingle as it explores your mouth. Then on the swallow, it's all pepper. Mostly smoky and that generic "pepper" taste that most chile beers have, along with a hefty dose of spice. But not enough to even cause me discomfort...it reminded me of a very strong ginger beer. Very spicy on the throat and in the nose, but does no lasting damage.
Mouthfeel is thin and slick; the latter quality may be helped by the pepper oils.
Overall, this beer is a novelty. I'm glad I found it and got to try it, but I wouldn't pick it up again. There's no malt backbone at all, so as beer quality goes it's pretty poor. However, I don't think it's meant to be anything but a super-spicy novelty beer, and it achieves that very well. But it's worth picking up once to try, if only to say you did. Don't fear the "ghost pepper;" it's nowhere near as spicy as anything else I've had with ghost chiles.

3.38/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Glad I got to try such a talked-about beer. It was every bit as spicy as I had hoped and imagined. Unfortunately, it just did not have any body, malt, or hop profile to back it up. Those who've described it as a AAL infused with peppers are exactly right.

A: a total let-down clear yellowish beer with a frothy white head. Just looks like an AAL with a more creamy head.

S: smells spicy. This was actually nice and gave me the heat I wanted - practically burned my nostrils. However, there was nothing else on the nose except the spice. No malt or hops. Maybe just a subtle corn scent.

T: this might as well be miller lite infused with a ton of chili peppers. It tastes spicy at first then nothing except a vague corniness.

M: carbonation is fine, but the whole thing is way too thin. I feel like this'd level of spice would be better suited to something more oily our creamy.

2.4/5  rDev -22.3%

Well I've been reading Beer Advocate for years and finally created an account just to review this liquid. Am a home brewer and just finish (drinking) a batch of Red Ale with Serranos from my garden. Miss that beer already so tried a single bottle of this. Actually I have taken two small sips of it and will not be drinking anymore. It's hot as hell. I will be using the rest for a chicken marinade.

I admire what they have pulled off and it's one I will never forget. I will probably remember it very clearly tomorrow as well. It's clear, yellowish gold with no head and a maddening and confusing slam of heat and sting.

3.29/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint, the beer is a bright, slightly hazed, golden coloring with a ton of carbonation and no head. Aromas of peppers forward and bold. Wowzers. You get a lot of the dark and roasted notes of the Serrano and Anaheim peppers, but also the nose-blistering sheer heat from the ghost face and habanero. It smells hot as shit, but I like that kind of thing, which explains my mouth watering right now. Flavors are kind of mild initially, with a warming and pepper spice on the backbone, but that is immediately followed up with a blast of hot, both in spice and actual temperature. There is a golden-style type flavor somewhere in there, but it gets absolutely pummeled by the cascade of pepper spice and heat. The body is light and smooth, and the aftertaste is...wait for it...peppers. Again, more spice than anything, but the heat remains throughout, as well, only starting to subside in the finish. The finish is fairly quick, and somewhat unremarkable based on the fact that your taste buds are shot at this point. This was a fun one to try.

2.97/5  rDev -3.9%

Why does this exist?

When I bought it the staff told me not to do it. I had to try it, aka tick it off.

Pours a reddish hazy gold, very little head even with a vigorous pour.

Smells like hot peppers.

Tastes exactly as it smells, layers of hot peppers with an intense burn at the end.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery, my least favorite part of it, not tons of body nothing backing up the heat.

Overall I feel like they accomplished what they were going for, I have to respect them for that.

I wouldn't have more than one, and I'm sure I'll regret it tomorrow, but I would recommended you try it.

1.12/5  rDev -63.8%

A - looks like a lager nothing to talk about there
S - the smell is all hot sauce, I do not get any beer smell
T - to hot, it was amusing to taste as a novelty but there is no need to ever buy another one of these - Just drink some “HOT” hot sauce and you will feel like you had this one
M - burns your mouth slowly
O - this is not a beer for drinking, but maybe it would be good as a base for chili -or- just forget it, it sucks

3.2/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

A: A dusty straw color, with a large white head that rapidly turns into fish eyes, then dissipates entirely.

S: There are definitely chilies in there. Smells like a combination of fresh, as well as roasted chilies. There is a lovely smokiness to it, like chipotle chili powder. Very interesting..

T: Holy hell that beer is hot! whew!! It starts sweet, with some nice grain notes, as you swallow there is a very nice smoky chili flavor, the finish is all heat. Burns going down, that beer is hot. The base beer really isn't bad, and the smoky flavor is quite delicious, although the heat is fairly substantial.

M: Medium low carbonation, and while the beer is cold, the mouthfeel is hot. The finish on this thing lingers on like crazy...

O: Overall the beer is just way too hot, although I suppose that that is kinda the point. Interesting to experience, but make sure you have at least 4 other people with you to split this with, or dump the whole thing into a pot of beans, and beef and make some damn spicy chili. Overall score is low, simply because you can't finish the damn thing.

3.15/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.25

A: The beer is relatively clear deep yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin white head that quickly died down, leaving delicate lacing on the surface and a thin collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate to strong aromas of chili pepper varieties are present in the nose.
T: Much like the smell, the taste has a mélange of different chili pepper flavors that linger through the finish and persist into the finish.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation along with an intense amount of heat from the chili peppers. The heat doesn't really go away.
O: This beer actually has nice complexity in the smell and taste for a chili beer as you can detect sever of the different types of peppers; however I would consider this to be undrinkable unless you are a person that can easily handle buffalo wings with suicidal hot sauce.

2.4/5  rDev -22.3%

Poured from the bottle into a.. does it matter? A globe snifter.

A deep orange and yellow body, opaque, with no sense of anything even alive in here totally lifeless. Head barely forms half a finger of bleach white color, and fizzes out in snap sounding carbonation and dies instantly. No collar, no lacing. The beer looks like Tang in a glass.

The nose does deliver. It's a very nice smoking pepper heat, with very green and garden like smelling. Fresh, no sweetness, no acid or burning sensations. Makes me thirsty and mouthwatering just smelling it. However, there is nothing else going on here.

Palate is what it is. Quite warm chilis, but tolerable if you like that sort of thing but it comes out more as just hot black pepper than the green peppery smokey sensations on the nose. The mouthfeel on this really does not help, it's so watery and lifeless.

I wish this had some body, or even a pinch of sweetness. There is nothing beer tasting about this not even any malt presence to back it up. For novelty or chili heads only, not for beer fans.

2.78/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

12pz bottle poured into Gandhi Bot tulip. Thanks Josh (thebigredone) for this unique extra.

A- Pours a slightly hazy translucent golden with about a finger of white head that recedes fairly fast, decent carbonation with nice consistency.

S- Harsh peppers, pepper seeds, Tabasco sauce, grass. Definitely not the most pleasant smelling beer but what do you expect from having so many different peppers in this.

T- Starts off with some light orangey sweetness with a little bit of corn starch and earthy peppers that provide some heat. Finishes with a dry pepper taste bringing out a much more intense heat that lingers for a long time. The pepper heat on the finish basically kills any other flavors there might be. Far from the hottest thing I've tried, but easily the hottest beer I've had.

M- Extremely dry which brings out the pepper heat more, decent carbonation, medium bodied.

O- This is definitely a novelty beer and not exactly a beer that is meant to be "enjoyed", they designed this beers or sole purpose to be as hot as possible. This is one of the beers we did at a big chili beer tasting and it was definitely the hottest one there although others had "ghost" and "scorpion" peppers. This isn't something you want a full glass of, they probably should have bottled it in 4-6oz nip bottles as those would have been more then plenty. An interesting beer to try especially if you are into hot stuff, but not something I'd be itching to try again.

I had to give this beer that is billed as "the hottest beer in the world" a try when I saw it on the shelf of my local store. And hot it most certainly is! There were about 6 of us that sampled it- some said moderately hot, but others like myself thought it was flaming hot. The flavor wasn't all that bad before the incredible heat set in. But it is what it is...a novelty, yet interesting, beer to be shared with friends to see who can handle the heat.

2.7/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A: Pours a crystal clear medium yellow in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some medium golden yellow highlights. The beer has a three finger tall sudsy off-white head that reduces to a medium thick film covering the entire surface of the beer with a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of pureed hot peppers and lots of them (similar to the smell that I got when I was making homemade hot sauce but even spicier). Slight vegetal aromas as well.

T: Upfront there are faint flavors of grainy malts but that is quickly overtaken by the flavors of the hot peppers/chiles. The heat from the hot peppers definitely builds as you continue to drink this beer - not so hot as to be not consumable but certainly not a real enjoyable flavor.

M: Just shy of medium bodied with slightly less than moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly watery.

O: I think this beer could have been much better with the presence of a strong citrus hop flavor/aromas (possibly lemon or lime). There is some heat to this beer and drinking the entire bottle on your own is a chore - the first few sips are interesting but then it is just tedious. Glad I tried this one (test of one's enjoyment of hot peppers) but I do not think I will be getting another of these - on a side note, I was a little worried that I was becoming immune to pepper heat but this established I can still taste it.

1.31/5  rDev -57.6%

Since I like heat in my beer I thought there might be something redeeming about this one. Once I cracked it I realized that the likelihood of this being poured down the drain is high.

Once poured it looks like a severely watered down ice tea. Maybe the only thing about this beer actually that isn't bad is the head which is ok. After the beer settles down it looks like a cider beer.

The smell is horrific. Not really sure how to describe it, and maybe it's best not to try. I'll just leave it as horrific.

The taste, well it's pure burn. Now I'll be the first to say, the beer clearly states that it really hot and I was expecting exactly that. The heat is insane. It's way over the top, so much so that there really isn't any taste, just burn. I think anyone can get a bunch of really hot peppers and home brew something as bad.

Mouth feel, is well, I really can't feel my mouth at the moment. Heat, heat, heat...

Overall, I know it's a gimmick beer but its really bad. I guess if you are someone that likes atomic wings then you would maybe like the novelty of this but it's a really bad beer otherwise. But basically they hit there goal of making the hottest beer ever, but they forgot about taste. Actually, I came back to this review cause hours later I was still thinking how bad this beer tastes. By far the worst beer I ever had.

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company