Ghost Face Killah - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Twisted Pine Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-11-2011)
dogfishandi

3.6/5  rDev +18%

thanks again to trxxpaxxs for sharing!

12oz twist off poured into a snifter, fridge temp.

pours a cloudy deep golden bordering on a light amber color. some white head that fades to nothing rather quickly.

i first get some peachy almost citrus aroma, but then gives way to all kinds of chile pepper aromas, seeds and all. the aroma does not prepare you for how hot this beer actually is, but i suppose you cant smell hot...

holy hell!!! this is like biting into a habenero! burns every part of your mouth and throat and stomach on the way down and boy does that heat linger.

your palate is left completely wrecked. your mouth throat and overall feel are more similar to drinking hot sauce than beer. fairly light in body.

its hard to enjoy this beer, but im super glad that i got a chance to try it. i was looking forward to it for awhile, and i definatly wasnt expecting it to be quite as hot as it was, despite what people have told me.

06-30-2012 04:23:47 | More by dogfishandi
trxxpaxxs

3.15/5  rDev +3.3%

Split this with dogfishandi...

A: Pours a nice cloudy peach, with little to no head. It's deceptive.

S: The nose is sweet malt, hops, peaches, some great pepper and subtle spice. It's too unassuming, which scares me.

T: Nice sweetness up front, a little bit of pepper, and then... BAM!!! MOTHER FUKIN HOT!!! Good lord. It's like licking Satan's butthole. It's hotter than hot. My whole mouth and face are on fire. Damn. It's a novelty for sure. But my goodness. This is brutal. I can't taste anything but hot peppers.

M: Light bodied beer. Hot, Hot, Hot, and then some more hot.

O: I get it. Hot ass beer. And it delivers, but I completely underestimated this beer. It's terribly great.

06-29-2012 23:23:20 | More by trxxpaxxs

06-23-2012 20:05:29 | More by sammo
StonedTrippin

Colorado

3.4/5  rDev +11.5%

i know what they say about this one, but i can get behind it. it pours an unassuming lazy light amber color with a small white head. nothinig special right? wrong. "hey benny, try this brew" okay, ill try it. BOOM whoa, this is straight fire. nothing but a deep habanero burn all the way down the throat. reports from my housemates indicate that its hot on both ends as well, oh jeez. cant taste much but the heat at first, but underneath it i can tell lies a beer that is actually pretty good, some malt to it, and even some hops (i can just tell). the peppers basically ruin your night of beer drinking, better save the russian river sours for another day because you wont taste them. feel of this beer is brutal, because it destroys all sensation in the mouth and throat, and actually hurts a little. overall i respect it for what it is, but i will never touch this to my lips again. my roomate however drank a whole one, and claimed to like it, so to each his own i guess...

06-17-2012 16:23:53 | More by StonedTrippin
tewaris

3.85/5  rDev +26.2%

Thanks Ryan!

I drank Cave Creek not too long ago and was moderately impressed... not by its light lager character but by the flavor and the heat. GFK takes shit to an entirely different level. It's not beer, or at least the base beer is no different from "yellow fizzy" types.

But that should be disregarded. An excellent blend of what I suppose could be called aroma chillies and taste chillies... smells like it would sting and it does sting. Smells green and crushed red at the same time, call it complex. Extreme heat in the taste that lingers for a while even on my punished-on-a-daily-basis palate.

Whatever it is, it was great in small quantities (I drank my share of the bottle and then some more for the record).

3, 4, 4, 3, 4

06-15-2012 12:40:51 | More by tewaris
jlindros

3.83/5  rDev +25.6%

Thanks to Rudzud for sharing.

Very light fizzy head hazy honey color.

Nose smells like pure hot peppers, light malty ale, capcasin, pepper flesh.

Quite hot, lots of spice and hot pepper, very nice pepper flavor, mostly hot on the throat, light malty ale, heat hits hit at first but doesn't linger too long, light earthy quality, nice great that really hits you but doesn't destroy. Finish long heat and nice pepper flavor, light sweet sticky malt.

Mouth is med bodied but feels slightly thin as there isn't much base over the pepper, quite hot of hot peppers.

Overall pretty nice, good heat that doesn't overpower, quite hot, nice pepper flavor too.

06-14-2012 12:13:22 | More by jlindros

A- Straw yellow, no head
S- All chilis, spicy
T- Very spicy, smoked peppers
M- Thin, painful
O- Probably the best chili beer I have had, that said, I don't dig chili beers, if you are into them its surely worth a shot, I would probably try it again.

06-09-2012 03:36:57 | More by Steasy66

angrybabboon

Rhode Island

3.43/5  rDev +12.5%

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for this beer... I think

Appearance: Pours a hazy dark gold color - started with a minimal white head, faded nearly instantly - some mild carbonation, but it does look pretty flat - I'm having some flashbacks to Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer

Smell: A bit scary at first, but actually not awful - tons of chiles everywhere - to start, it's like sticking your nose into a jar of red pepper flakes - vegetal, but not disgustingly so, more dry than salsa-like - just smells like chilis, no malts to be found, really doesn't smell like beer

Taste: Sweet mother of Satan - this is hot - as in, I took one sip and I am hiccuping uncontrollably - But I must admit, it doesn't taste awful - it actually tastes like a good hot sauce - not a face-melting heat, but it is very hot - some spicy hot sauce flavor at the tip of the tongue, along with some decent lager flavors - like, pale malts, unexpectedly sweet - but seconds later, the heat brutally dropkicks you in the throat - I am sweating, hiccuping, and my nose is running - tastes like burning, not like beer

Mouthfeel: Medium body, adequate carbonation, but the whole throat-punching part doesn't win it any bonus points

Overall: Dear butthole, it's been nice knowing you

It's hard for me to even comment on this beer. It's tasty. I would love to use this at a hot sauce. And by that, I mean I would love to sprinkle A FEW DROPS on some meals. This is liquid sadomasochism. It's good for what it is, but I will have nightmares.

06-01-2012 05:12:26 | More by angrybabboon
Goblinmunkey7

4.1/5  rDev +34.4%

Split with angrybabboon. Thanks to injuredreserve for the bottle.

Appearance: Slightly hazed dark gold. No head to speak of. It just sits there all nonchalant and menacing. Slight haze. No visible carbonation.

Smell: Loads of vegetal peppers. Biting spiciness pulls through, curling the nose hairs. Light smokiness that reminds me of chipotles...for obvious reasons. Very mellow in terms of malts. It's all heat and peppers. Aggressive but not overpowering. Nice depth of peppers running from smoky to straight spicy and back down to fresh non-spicy peppers.

Taste: Hey, it's spicy. Building heat climaxes in something that I can only describe as tasting like burning. Loads of real pepper flavor. Crazy depth of vegetal flavors. Mildly smoky with a lingering punch. Malts are almost non-existent and wouldn't help if they were. It's unrelenting spiciness that builds with each sip. Love that ghost chili flavor.

Mouthfeel: I can't feel a thing, but my mouth is numb. Burnt lips. Body is light with a moderate carbonation. Drinks smooth and hot.

Overall: Hiccups I can feel the molten gold pour down my insides. It's coating my organs, turning me in to some sort of magma beast. I will be reborn of the inferno. Infused with the righteous fires of determination. I perservere and dominate. I am the molten god.

06-01-2012 05:06:35 | More by Goblinmunkey7

05-15-2012 00:11:13 | More by Dodgesbullets
ThePorterSorter

Missouri

3.98/5  rDev +30.5%

Cracking open the bottle I get strong chilies (just cracking open the cap). It pours an innocent looking light amber, but the head disintegrates quickly. A big whiff of the nose lets you know you're in for trouble...an the taste is instant heartburn. Upfront fresh picked chilies... it's really remarkable how pungent it is. I did not expect this much heat from a beer, maybe I should have chilled it first! The mouthfeel is intensely hot with a subtle smokiness in the aftertaste followed by damage control mouth watering...a small sip is enough.
Totally worth trying if you want to 1) trick a friend 2) poop your pants 3) or pair a beer with indian food...real indian food.
It lived up to the hype about it being the most intense chili beer available, but it's almost completely undrinkable.

05-12-2012 01:59:57 | More by ThePorterSorter
billab914

2.88/5  rDev -5.6%

Another beer shared by Rhettroactive the other night. It poured a light golden color with a thin white head sticking to edges of the glass.

In the aroma I get a lot of vegetable like pepper qualities to it. It's got a little heat, but not that telling as to how hot it's going to be. Pretty much smells like a hot pepper. The aroma actually showed off the peppers fairly well.

The heat is pretty intense in the taste. It's definitely the hottest thing I've ever drank. A little of the pepper flavor is detectable, but otherwise it just tastes like burning.

The mouthfeel is this with carbonation being on the lower side. Overall, they definitely succeeded at making a hot as hell beer. As a chili beer, it was a cool novelty to share with friends and get some laughs from. As a beer though, it's about as drinkable as hot pepper juice is.

05-10-2012 16:45:01 | More by billab914
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

3.1/5  rDev +1.6%

From 12oz bottle to Devil's Backbone glass on 5/5/12
*From notes

A: Like an unfiltered pale lager. A firm pour yields no sign of a head, zero lacing and no real collar.

S: Just put a bottle of hot sauce up your nose. It's not so much hot as it is peppery. It's like you can literally smell the crushed pepper flakes.

T: All heat from beginning to end. It's lacking any semblance of balance. Malt? Hops? Forgetaboutit! It's spicy, like drinking a shot of hot sauce. I've had hotter (not beer mind you), but this is certainly some caliente shit.

M: Bubbly enough. Jesus...the heat is really setting in.

O: Look, if you want a chile beer, this is your solution. I've never had a beer this hot, and I knew I wasn't just being a pussy when one my buddies started to hiccup from the heat. I'm not giving this a four overall for anything other then what it set out to do: scald your palate.

And if nothing else, I haven't had such fun cracking a beer in a long, long time. Sharing this insane concoction and the hearty laughs that came with it with my tasting group won't soon be forgotten.

05-09-2012 21:42:09 | More by Rhettroactive
ehammond1

3.88/5  rDev +27.2%

Bottle

Acquired via trade
Thanks, quirkzoo!

Clear dark straw yellow with a small near-white head that doesn't leave much stick to the glass.

The aroma, as expected, is filled with big, expressive spicy chile character. This smells like I hoped it would. The aroma prepares you for what comes next. You know this is going to be hot.

The flavor follows the aroma, with huge spicy elements washing over the mouth and down the throat, leaving the mouth briefly aflame. That being said, the spicy doesn't last for as long as feared, and is actually quite pleasant. That being said, the flavor is somewhat simple: it's spicy!

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

This beer was exactly what I was hoping it would be: intensely spicy, yet actually enjoyable. I split the bottle between 6 or so brave beer drinkers, but I happily finished my 2+ oz. pour.

05-08-2012 21:44:07 | More by ehammond1
BdubleEdubleRUN

05-07-2012 17:09:19 | More by BdubleEdubleRUN
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

2.38/5  rDev -22%

This review will be very simple, because let's face it, if you know what are you are opening, you know what you are getting into.

Doesn't pour very much head. I only took a few ounces of this one. Color is a hazed pale yellow.

Aroma/Taste: Massive amounts of hot peppers. Pretty much the only thing you can taste is peppers and lots of them.

Mouthfeel: Burning. Lots of burning. Hard to leave this in your mouth very long because it is so hot.

Overall, it really isn't enjoyable because of how hot it is. I love peppers, but there was too much in this beer to make the beer drinkable. Definitely a novelty beer.

05-07-2012 01:11:04 | More by mothman