Ghost Face Killah - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Twisted Pine Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-11-2011)
2.75/5  rDev -8%

1.83/5  rDev -38.8%

Poured from a bottle into a perfect pint

A- pours a straw yellow with a two finger white head that quickly fades away. Bubbles everywhere throughout the beer

S- well...it's a chile beer alright. Very smoky, spicy aroma

T- my mouth is on fire. Literally, on fire. I cannot feel anything at all. Holy crap.

M- light bodied

O- no. No. No. God no.

3.85/5  rDev +28.8%

Received this in a trade and shared with bpk59 (Ben) and JLindros as well as others for some chili beer tasting session. Poured into a tulip. Reviewed from notes.

A - Poured a clear golden hue with a half finger of sudsy head that faded relatively quickly to leave a very soft, light halo.

S - Oh yeah, chili assault, burnt spice, chili powder, and earthy smoke from the jolkiah pepper. Nice.

T - Excellent ghost chili notes. Just delicious. Lightly smokey like the flavour of the ghost chili is. Really does the ghost chili justice. Just solid.

M - Slightly thin for my liking. Something bigger would have helped convey the heat.

O - This was a great chili beer, just delicious. I love ghost chili's and this did the pepper justice. Job well done.

3.98/5  rDev +33.1%

BIG thanks to antlerwrestler19 for hooking me up with this one from his recent LIF! Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass, with a glass of milk on the side.

Pours like many other chiles beers that I've sampled - a sort of hazy, silent red gold with a short lived half finger of head that amounts to really no lacing at all.

Obvious pepper qualities in the aroma. Not that basic vegetable profile that you find from other beers of this style. There's obvious heat that showcases that signature BBQ type burn that the ghost chile is known for. There are some subtle malt bits used to support the bite of the peppers.

Up front, it drinks like a lemony, light lager. The thin body makes it reminiscent of an easy drinking wheat or something. But just a few seconds after that first taste you get a big wave of heat. The ghost pepper doesn't dominate the same way in this regard. It's a tasty balance of the serrano/jalapeno against the habanero. The anaheim and fresno flavors are (unsurprisingly) lost in the heat of the bigger players. I wish there was a bit more of that ghost pepper bite that I have come to really love. But there is still plenty of heat here to satisfy.

Overall, this is the best beer I've had from the style. It's nothing to look at, but the tastes and aromas that it produces represent everything I look for in an aggressive chile beer.

My guess is that the lower ratings come from those certain vagina babies that just can't hang with the heat.

If you like chiles, this is a must-try.

2.5/5  rDev -16.4%

3.58/5  rDev +19.7%

Not much head. Murky dull gold cores body.

Woo! Love the smell!. Make the nostrils flare.

Definite hot! Aftertaste. For sure. Can handle it but yeah! Not much after the pepper heat.

Low carbonation. Medium mouthfeel,

Lovin it. Although beer wise I'd set it back a half step from Great Danes Tri-Pepper Pilsner. Thanks kawilliams81.

3.6/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks again to trxxpaxxs for sharing!

12oz twist off poured into a snifter, fridge temp.

pours a cloudy deep golden bordering on a light amber color. some white head that fades to nothing rather quickly.

i first get some peachy almost citrus aroma, but then gives way to all kinds of chile pepper aromas, seeds and all. the aroma does not prepare you for how hot this beer actually is, but i suppose you cant smell hot...

holy hell!!! this is like biting into a habenero! burns every part of your mouth and throat and stomach on the way down and boy does that heat linger.

your palate is left completely wrecked. your mouth throat and overall feel are more similar to drinking hot sauce than beer. fairly light in body.

its hard to enjoy this beer, but im super glad that i got a chance to try it. i was looking forward to it for awhile, and i definatly wasnt expecting it to be quite as hot as it was, despite what people have told me.

3.15/5  rDev +5.4%

Split this with dogfishandi...

A: Pours a nice cloudy peach, with little to no head. It's deceptive.

S: The nose is sweet malt, hops, peaches, some great pepper and subtle spice. It's too unassuming, which scares me.

T: Nice sweetness up front, a little bit of pepper, and then... BAM!!! MOTHER FUKIN HOT!!! Good lord. It's like licking Satan's butthole. It's hotter than hot. My whole mouth and face are on fire. Damn. It's a novelty for sure. But my goodness. This is brutal. I can't taste anything but hot peppers.

M: Light bodied beer. Hot, Hot, Hot, and then some more hot.

O: I get it. Hot ass beer. And it delivers, but I completely underestimated this beer. It's terribly great.

2.75/5  rDev -8%

3.4/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

i know what they say about this one, but i can get behind it. it pours an unassuming lazy light amber color with a small white head. nothinig special right? wrong. "hey benny, try this brew" okay, ill try it. BOOM whoa, this is straight fire. nothing but a deep habanero burn all the way down the throat. reports from my housemates indicate that its hot on both ends as well, oh jeez. cant taste much but the heat at first, but underneath it i can tell lies a beer that is actually pretty good, some malt to it, and even some hops (i can just tell). the peppers basically ruin your night of beer drinking, better save the russian river sours for another day because you wont taste them. feel of this beer is brutal, because it destroys all sensation in the mouth and throat, and actually hurts a little. overall i respect it for what it is, but i will never touch this to my lips again. my roomate however drank a whole one, and claimed to like it, so to each his own i guess...

3.85/5  rDev +28.8%

Thanks Ryan!

I drank Cave Creek not too long ago and was moderately impressed... not by its light lager character but by the flavor and the heat. GFK takes shit to an entirely different level. It's not beer, or at least the base beer is no different from "yellow fizzy" types.

But that should be disregarded. An excellent blend of what I suppose could be called aroma chillies and taste chillies... smells like it would sting and it does sting. Smells green and crushed red at the same time, call it complex. Extreme heat in the taste that lingers for a while even on my punished-on-a-daily-basis palate.

Whatever it is, it was great in small quantities (I drank my share of the bottle and then some more for the record).

3, 4, 4, 3, 4

3.83/5  rDev +28.1%

Thanks to Rudzud for sharing.

Very light fizzy head hazy honey color.

Nose smells like pure hot peppers, light malty ale, capcasin, pepper flesh.

Quite hot, lots of spice and hot pepper, very nice pepper flavor, mostly hot on the throat, light malty ale, heat hits hit at first but doesn't linger too long, light earthy quality, nice great that really hits you but doesn't destroy. Finish long heat and nice pepper flavor, light sweet sticky malt.

Mouth is med bodied but feels slightly thin as there isn't much base over the pepper, quite hot of hot peppers.

Overall pretty nice, good heat that doesn't overpower, quite hot, nice pepper flavor too.

3.78/5  rDev +26.4%

2oz into a pint glass
A- Straw yellow, no head
S- All chilis, spicy
T- Very spicy, smoked peppers
M- Thin, painful
O- Probably the best chili beer I have had, that said, I don't dig chili beers, if you are into them its surely worth a shot, I would probably try it again.

3.25/5  rDev +8.7%

4.25/5  rDev +42.1%

3.43/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for this beer... I think

Appearance: Pours a hazy dark gold color - started with a minimal white head, faded nearly instantly - some mild carbonation, but it does look pretty flat - I'm having some flashbacks to Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer

Smell: A bit scary at first, but actually not awful - tons of chiles everywhere - to start, it's like sticking your nose into a jar of red pepper flakes - vegetal, but not disgustingly so, more dry than salsa-like - just smells like chilis, no malts to be found, really doesn't smell like beer

Taste: Sweet mother of Satan - this is hot - as in, I took one sip and I am hiccuping uncontrollably - But I must admit, it doesn't taste awful - it actually tastes like a good hot sauce - not a face-melting heat, but it is very hot - some spicy hot sauce flavor at the tip of the tongue, along with some decent lager flavors - like, pale malts, unexpectedly sweet - but seconds later, the heat brutally dropkicks you in the throat - I am sweating, hiccuping, and my nose is running - tastes like burning, not like beer

Mouthfeel: Medium body, adequate carbonation, but the whole throat-punching part doesn't win it any bonus points

Overall: Dear butthole, it's been nice knowing you

It's hard for me to even comment on this beer. It's tasty. I would love to use this at a hot sauce. And by that, I mean I would love to sprinkle A FEW DROPS on some meals. This is liquid sadomasochism. It's good for what it is, but I will have nightmares.

4.1/5  rDev +37.1%

Split with angrybabboon. Thanks to injuredreserve for the bottle.

Appearance: Slightly hazed dark gold. No head to speak of. It just sits there all nonchalant and menacing. Slight haze. No visible carbonation.

Smell: Loads of vegetal peppers. Biting spiciness pulls through, curling the nose hairs. Light smokiness that reminds me of chipotles...for obvious reasons. Very mellow in terms of malts. It's all heat and peppers. Aggressive but not overpowering. Nice depth of peppers running from smoky to straight spicy and back down to fresh non-spicy peppers.

Taste: Hey, it's spicy. Building heat climaxes in something that I can only describe as tasting like burning. Loads of real pepper flavor. Crazy depth of vegetal flavors. Mildly smoky with a lingering punch. Malts are almost non-existent and wouldn't help if they were. It's unrelenting spiciness that builds with each sip. Love that ghost chili flavor.

Mouthfeel: I can't feel a thing, but my mouth is numb. Burnt lips. Body is light with a moderate carbonation. Drinks smooth and hot.

Overall: Hiccups I can feel the molten gold pour down my insides. It's coating my organs, turning me in to some sort of magma beast. I will be reborn of the inferno. Infused with the righteous fires of determination. I perservere and dominate. I am the molten god.

3.98/5  rDev +33.1%

Cracking open the bottle I get strong chilies (just cracking open the cap). It pours an innocent looking light amber, but the head disintegrates quickly. A big whiff of the nose lets you know you're in for trouble...an the taste is instant heartburn. Upfront fresh picked chilies... it's really remarkable how pungent it is. I did not expect this much heat from a beer, maybe I should have chilled it first! The mouthfeel is intensely hot with a subtle smokiness in the aftertaste followed by damage control mouth watering...a small sip is enough.
Totally worth trying if you want to 1) trick a friend 2) poop your pants 3) or pair a beer with indian food...real indian food.
It lived up to the hype about it being the most intense chili beer available, but it's almost completely undrinkable.

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company