Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Ghost Face Killah - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Ghost Face KillahGhost Face Killah

Twisted Pine Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Todd on 01-11-2011

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.
3.11/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured into a tulip glass. No head on a cloudy straw colored body.
The smell was of fire roasted chili peppers.
Well, it's a chili beer... so it's HOT through and through. In fact that's the only flavor to come through: the pepper heat.
It has a crisp texture with low carbonation.
It bordered on painful to drink but I could still finish the 12 oz bottle.

3.08/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

A- Pale amber body with virtually no head to speak of. Leaves a few clear bubbles on top.

S- Smokey hot sauce. Smells like straight chipotle peppers.

T- Hot, smokey and hot. Really not much else can get by the heat.

M- Very bubbly with a thin mouthfeel. Obviously leaves quite the burn on the tongue.

O- Would not try again, but worth a try if you love hot foods. If you do not like hot foods, keep away.

2.14/5  rDev -31.4%

So, interesting brew.

Appearance looks like your standard pilsner style lager, decent head, looks appetizing.

I love hot sauce and hot peppers, but the smell is awful on this beer. Starting with a nose of rancid peppers/hot sauce, the smell creeps into your throat and starts to burn. Hard to take a drink after such a terrible smell.

Taste is not much better. The heat is completely tolerable in this beer, so that is not the issue for me. Rather, the rotten pepper/hot sauce taste from the nose translates directly to the taste. Very unappealing. Maybe it would be better if I were eating some strong chili with this beer.

Overall, this is a gimmick beer, and it tastes like it. The only part of the beer I liked was the heat, maybe you could cook with this to kick up the spice in some chili. Unfortunate that the taste was so bad, I love almost anything that can bring the heat, and this beer can. If the taste were better I would seek this out regularly.

3.06/5  rDev -1.9%

Shared by Rhino.

I'm scared. The beer smells like it's about to whoop my ass. Hot red peppers, campfire smoke, blazing chili. Ok here goes...

Hot damn! Massive palate assaulting heat intensity. I'm a medium heat guy when it comes to chili, wings, Thai food, etc. This is pretty high intensity to me. An assortment of hot peppers on a medium bodied ale. Moderate carbonation. Lingering burn.

This was pretty fun. For what it is, this is done pretty well.I definitely recommend splitting the bottle several ways.

3.44/5  rDev +10.3%

Okay, so when I poured this beer into a tulip, something foreboding and frightening occured. The head atop this beer BROILED up furiously, to about 5 fingers (hard pour) and just as it reached the lip, it immediately began simmering back down and settled into nonexistance... wow.

Color is muddy golden orange, with active carbonation if you look close enough. Smells like a wild Belgian yeast that eats way too much Kung Pao. If there were a such thing as a Chile Lambic, that's how it'd smell. You get hints of that funky yeast, smothered in sweet pepper jelly. The taste is... hot. You get hit with a little lager sweetness before the flavor profile instantly bursts into flame. Luckily this is the kinda heat that simmers down quickly, but you WILL feel this beer on your lips and tongue for ahile. Mouthfeel is like a medium lager, almost a high ABV pilsner, mouth-wise. Overall this beer carries it's gimmick with pride, and in all honesty, I am enjoying it, but unfortunately the only thing it really has enough of is heat, and that's not enough to bring me back to a beer over and over.

3.49/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz botte poured.

A- pours a crystal clear straw color with faint hues of red and green
no head very little visible carbonation.

S- like raw uncooked hot peppers. Fresh smell like if you walked through a pepper garden. Intriguing.

T- in your face peppers. Hot. Heat starts sweet then swells to a burn in about half a second. I suggest having a lager to chase this. You can actually taste the milder peppers up front which is nice. Heat lasts a few minutes and slowly fades.

M- good level of carbonation ( low-moderate) with a slight silkyness. Then hot pepper acid burns and tingles.

O- this beer rocks. I didn't really know what to think being this is my first peppered beer. I suggest drinking with food, chedder cheese & crackers or something mild. This could tear a stomach to shreds. Good flavor and heat. A strange but awesome experience. Noone can truly describe this beer, you just gotta jump in and see for yourself.

3.77/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had to try this one out of morbid curiosity.

Served in a Port City tulip.

A: Poured a bright orange with a slight chill haze, some visible carbonation, and really no head whatsoever.

S: Actually, I dug the smell on this much more than I though I would. Liquified pepper mixture, for sure. You can actually smell the vegetable heat!

T: Certainly a spicy endurance test, like a vegetable garden, and with sort of a salty backbone overall.

M: The hottest, most offensively tear inducing beer in history, but I kinda dug it in sort of a sick way. No lacing or booze detected, just straight up heat.

O: This is a novelty beer, for sure, but it's not without it's merits.

3.21/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

12oz bottle from Lueken's Liquors (Dunedin, FL). 3.99. No bottling info. Served in a Cigar City snifter.

Pours hazy orange with a half finger of white head that dissapears quickly. No lace.

Nose is all peppers. Seriously. LOTS of peppers- green, anaheim and jalepeno. I like peppers so I find it pretty appealing.

Wow! That's a damn spicy beer. Nice hot habenero and ghost pepper bite that lingers but allows the cooler jalepeno, anaheim and fresno flavors to peek through. Very interesting.

Lighter side of medium body with nice mellow but sizzling carbonation. Looong slightly burning aftertaste.

Not what I look for in a beer but this was a novel and enjoyable experience. Most likely too hot for most folks but I like it.

2.85/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass. I was really looking forward to this one - if only for the novelty factor alone.

A: Pours a cloudy golden color. The head is a one finger white shade that retains very poorly.

S: File this one into the "no shit" category: it's full of ridiculously hot peppers. Plain and simple, it smells like acid reflux. Yay?

T: This actually has more to it than just bowel-fuckingly hot peppers. For a brief minute, it has slight touches of initial tropical fruit (like mango and papaya). Then, the midtaste becomes quite smoky, and then pure fiery heat descends. I also detect notes of pine and phenolic plastic. I'm surprised how complex this is; no it doesn't layer itself in a finessed manner - but there is a rock-solid depth to it. In terms of heat, it's not really that far off from a spicy michelada, nor is it the hottest thing I've put in my mouth. If anything, it hits the hallmark objective of what a spicy tongue-fucker should achieve: can you taste more to it than just stupid chile heat? If anything, the huge phenolic notes are the biggest detractor for me, not the spiciness.

M: For sure, one burns the palate with searing heat. This destroys the palate far better than any IPA could hope to achieve. It's clean and dry enough where the heat actually doesn't last ridiculously long on the palate, though. Still, I can really feel it in my esophagus, retro-nasals, and stomach - and I can really feel acid reflux setting in, too.

O: It's actually not the hottest thing I've ever had before - but it's one of the hottest things I've ever drank (only a couple of bloody marys or micheladas that I overspiced really challenge it). It gets a 4.5 just for the experience; it's certainly not pleasant, but it's somehow fun to drink. I reckon this would make an awesome adjunct to chili, as well.

3.59/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served chilled in a tulip pilsner with what else but a bowl of chili to go along with it.

Pours a light copper color with very airy beige head that recedes very quickly with virtually no surface layer or lacing.

No big surprise with the aromas. Smells like beer and hot peppers.

Flavor of hot peppers hits you immediately. Most prevalent to me were the anaheims and jalapenos, but there was a hint of smoke on the tail end from the serranos.

Light bodied with moderate carbonation and a bit of a weak finish. Heat and aftertaste do not linger as much as you would expect.

Overall I did enjoy this beer for what it was. I think best enjoyed when paired with food of the same nature.

2.64/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

Claims to be the hottest this side of hell.... but I have the Pick of Destiny!

Golden light pale with a little murk and a mirror surface, some bubbles come up in two ovals, which send their bubbles into the same confluent strip, giving this a hard dick and balls look.

Smells like somebody took some beautifully ripened chili's, I get some poblano mostly and cooked it over a gas grill, nice and aritificial. Some bits of chicken broth.

Really expecting this to taste like piss. Let's see...

Not quite like the piss I've had in the past. I initially get a sweetness of grain and maybe marshmallow cream. Then comes the onslaught of demons from the bowels of the deep. Earthy and robust with fiery wrath the peppers charge onto the playfield of my tight, wet, warm mouth. Mmmm, my mouth.... Then I pretty much just feel like some black, no wait, maybe green, toasted green peppercorns just rolled over my mouth with cold mashed potatoes. The appeal is undeniable. It's hard to imagine a better flavor for the style. (2.5)

Mouthfeel is like a porcupine dick: thin and prickly, and stabs fast like the first few minutes of a Peter North performance. Then my mouth is simply left drenched and dripping wet. My wife likes the way it feels in my mouth.

Overall this is the best chili beer probably ever, second only to the mis-categorized Budweiser Chelada (original, not light).

3.9/5  rDev +25%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bought out of curiosity for $3.89 for 12oz in AR. I should note that I tend to like this style (including Cave Creek), although I always feel I need a beer (non-Chile) to wash it down.

Poured with a golden orange color and a highly enthusiastic head – couldn’t pour normally without pausing without overflow. Head diminished very quickly to no head/no lacing, but visible carbonation.

Smell is highly dominated by hot peppers. Of the hints of beer, smell similar to Corona, but more malt and slight sweetness…but no mistaking what you are facing.

Starts as a hot, but pleasant, beer. But, the heat is more than normally palatable. (Note that I make hot world-class chili with 6 types of fresh hot peppers and consume hot sauces at nearly every meal.) Honestly, I really like the flavor…fairly complex blend of peppers…just not the overall heat intensity. The beer base, a high quality Mexican beer style, is totally appropriate.

Mouthfeel is medium light as appropriate for the style.

IMO, everything works here but the heat intensity. Maybe you need this heat to achieve the real pepper flavor. It is the best “hot pepper” beer I’ve had. Would have been better if consumed with food or split with a fellow drinker. Would I drink this again? Yes, but probably sharing 12oz with someone.

I can’t say I wasn’t warned and I am happy to say I have drunk this. It is definitely not for mainstream beer people. Isn’t craft beer fun!

4.12/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

$4.50 for the 12oz single, served in a pint glass
No ABV indicated on the bottle
Sampled 06JAN13

[A] An average pour yields a pale, golden-orange body, clear with just a touch of haze, and a full finger of fizzy head. Bright white and short lived. After fading the surface is entirely still, but visible carbonation shows a little bit of life. No lacing.

[S] Capsicum of all kinds. Green, orange, red, fresh, charred, seedy and fleshy. The nose is literally 'pepper' in every way imaginable. Other than that, pretty straightforward.

[T] The front end of the palate actually has a touch of sweetness. And the first wave of heat is very soft and approachable. Then, the intensity heightens after the swallow, but it never becomes extreme. It is impossible to say for sure, but the base beer seems pretty darn solid. It works as a great canvas for the layers and layers of pepper and heat. I'm digging this.

[M] The mouthfeel is surprisingly complete. Medium full and chewier than expected. My saliva starts to thicken on the second half of the bottle.

[O] I bought this bottle for the novelty of it, honestly. But I will say this: Ghostface Killah is actually a very good beer - and even better when considering the style. Sure, it's for those with an affinity for heat, but those who crave a little fire will not find it to be over the top. I finished the bottle no problem.

1.76/5  rDev -43.6%

A spicy beer! I couldn't resist....

Poured into a pint glass, it was amber in color and slightly hazy. The nose was filled with strong aromas of sweet/spicy peppers.

The smoked serrano is the first thing I tasted followed by a subtle sweet malt/hops flavo, but I only tasted those flavors for a second before the heat took over. The heat definitely overpowers the "beer" flavors

It's different than I was expecting but definitely a fun experience, it's worth trying if you like spicy things.

3.17/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle

A- Pours a hazy golden yellow/amber color with a small fizzy white head that quickly dissipates.

S- The aroma is roasted chilis and very faint malt, you can definitely smell the spicy peppery throughout the nose.

T- The taste is a very brief moment of maltiness with the spiciness from the chilies quickly kicking in and lingering well into the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied and highly carbonated.

O- Overall, this beer packs the heat unlike any other beer I have tried. As someone who enjoys spicy foods, I enjoyed the uniqueness of this beer. I wouldn't be able to drink more that one bottle of this in a sitting, actually it is pretty difficult to just finish one bottle.

2.87/5  rDev -8%

Brown glass bottle with twist off cap acquired at Lukas Liquor in Lone Tree and served into a Bull & Bush pilsner glass in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are low.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours no head whatsoever. Body colour is a clear pale copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looks about right for the style.

Sm: Chili pepper in gratuitous quantities. Sweet jesus, that's all there is. Smells like pure habanero. Just smelling it is starting to prepare my perspiration glands. A strong, seizing aroma.

T: Fairly spicy, but not awful with a sip. Heavy chili pepper and chili skin, sure, but it's not as bad as youtubers and beer amateurs would have you believe. A bit vinegary, actually. Acidic. Roasted pepper. It's nowhere near as spicy as I anticipated. No alcohol comes through. No yeast character. I imagine that pale malts comprise the foundation, but they're well buried. I wouldn't say I like it; it's imbalanced as all hell. It's a surprisingly decent chili beer, though. It's definitely one note. Most of the spice is in the aftertaste; if you drink too much it'll hit you in the throat.

I had milk on hand while reviewing, but I didn't end up needing any. Don't let the sensitivists convince you that it's as spicy as the brewery's marketing team wants us to think it is.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but the mouthfeel is widely irrelevant here. Adequately carbonated, with good thickness. The texture here is just a means of enabling you to consume it.

Dr: Surprisingly drinkable given its reputation. Reading some of the other reviews, I didn't think some of my fellow beeradvocate members were such panzies. This really isn't that bad as long as you sip it. Still, it'd be real tough to quaff. I'll have a bit of trouble killing this glass, but I expected it to be intolerable.

Largely a gimmicky marketing ploy. Meh.

2.15/5  rDev -31.1%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle served in a pint glass, reviewed live:

A - Pours a nearly transparent straw golden color with almost no discernible head. Lively carbonation. Pretty uninviting.

S - Roasted peppers, fresh peppers and more peppers. It's impossible to distinguish any other aromas. Not really looking forward to this.

T - Bitter and poorly handled peppers dominate. Tastes like the skins from a roasted pepper. Not as spicy as I though it'd be though. Maybe a touch of base malt? Incredibly simple. Balance was thrown out the window.

M - Thin and oily.

D - None, unless eating whole habaneros is your thing. It's definitely not overly spicy, but really doesn't taste very good. Not drinkable at all.

3.08/5  rDev -1.3%

Served in a Mundelein Craft Beer Festival shaker pint glass.

Thanks to twiggamortis420 for this bottle!

Having eaten a bare ghost pepper already (a perk from working at a liquor store), I had to try it in beer form. This stuff pours a clear brass topped by a half-finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose is a blast of soaked peppers, with both the heat and the chlorophyll-laden skins coming through rather clearly. A theme that continues throughout, there is very little in the way of beer present here. The taste echoes the smell, and, as expected, the heat is there from the start in gratuitous amounts. It isn't, though, unbearable by any stretch of the imagination, but it is definitely strong and overpowering. Beyond that, no real beer character is present. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a drying finish. Overall, this is a fine example of peppers' innate heat being well-mobilized by a brewer, but it is unfortunately to the detriment of any other sense of beer. It'd be one thing if the peppers complemented a beer's other flavors, but here it's just pepper heat through and through. I'd still probably have another, though...

2.91/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks, willandperry! I've been anxious to try this one :-)

Appearance. Pours a clear, yellow gold with two fingers of white head that doesn't last long at all.

Smell. Wow, roasted sweet red peppers and a smokey, salty driftwood kind of smell. Interesting, but not as something to drink...

Taste. Tangy bell peppers along with white pepper and hot fresh jalepenos. This beer doesn't disapoint with the heat, and I like my firey food. Taste isn't as bad as I expected from the smell. For this "style", I guess it's pretty decent tasting.

Mouthfeel. Medium-light body, medium+ carbonation.

Overall. Well, it was an experience to say the least. Really glad to have tried it. My cheeks are sweating, and that's the level of heat that I like in any Indian, and various other ethnic foods. Extra full overall point for doing a chille beer that definitely showcases the chilles. Thanks again, willandperry!

2.36/5  rDev -24.4%

Got this as an extra. Thanks a lot for this one guy! Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. This was my 2nd time having a pepper/spiced beer so I wasn't sure what to expect.

A: A straw yellow body with a small head that dissipated quickly.

S: Holy shit mang. My nose is burning. Smell is just hot peppers, nothing else. This smells like a 12oz bottle of hot sauce. I'm a bit shook to drink this.

T: The spicy and smokey peppers take complete control over any other flavor in this beer. It's hot sauce water. Just nuts how spicy this brew is, they use 5+ different peppers right?

M: Pretty awful. Burns the mouth and throat and this shit lingers. Get me some water my dude. The spicy aftertaste stayed in my mouth for 20+ minutes and had me coughing, and I was not feeling it. I love my spicy food but this was too much for me honestly.

O: This is a novelty beer, that's it. Just copp it for the label I guess. I could never drink 12oz and couldn't even manage much more than an oz before we decided to drain poor. I suppose if your really into to spicy peppers than this could be your thing but at this point, it's not even beer! Put it on your arroz con pollo. Never re-visiting this one.

A - copper with no head

S - peppers, very spicy, a lot of jalapeno and habanero

T - intense peppers, jalapenos mostly, intense heat in the finish from the ghost chilies but not unbearable; the taste reminds me of the pepper blend that my grandfather adds to his sausage

M - medium bodied, very spicy, warm, well carbonated

Well, this wasn't nearly as bad as some reviewers had led me to believe it would be. I certainly wouldn't enjoy this beyond the 6 oz sample that I had, but I did enjoy it for what it was. If I were to buy this again, I would buy it as an ingredient. I think this would be great in a batch of chili or even in a marinade.

2.26/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.25

Pours golden with very quickly. Smells like a great hot sauce, but not a beer. Very crisp refreshing brew behind the pepper. Crazy hot pepper here and it is just too much. Good grief. I think it is worth trying as a novelty, but I would be impressed with anyone that could put this whole bottle down themselves. I am curious if this would be a good beer for cooking as a marinade. But as is it just burns.

3.68/5  rDev +17.9%

This is a freak of beers and really just had to be in it's own category. Or needs to... I'm not even going to address any other beer than a beer with peppers in it that have some burn. This is a burn on a whole different level.
I loved the mouthfeel, it was very drinkable, not heavy or sticky or odd. It just flew by with a crispness which is a bit difficult to determine, but it does. If it weren't for the surprising and aggressive burning sensation than throws your lips and mouth into an upheaval, I believe the crispness would be more on your mind.
It had a nice deepish gold to orange tone... smelled of... well... peppers and beer, a tad smokiness to it.
And the beer... a little bit of lager kind of a taste and then... POW! You are assaulted by peppers and a scorched-earth-to-your-mouth campaign. You can taste the peppers, which is good. There is a real pepper taste obviously a few different peppers which is nice. There is a bit of a smokiness in the heat which makes the beer interesting... The pepper taste does have a freshness to it. If it were not for this, the beer would be a loss. I have only had a few other beers which have burned as badly as this.
Cave Creek with the jalapeño pepper in the bottle is the only beer that burned worse. Luckily, Ghost Face does not blaze your mouth into utter submission... You continuously can taste as long as you do not try to just chug it away.
This was definitely a novelty among beers but was worth the try... I would not pay over $3 for it though. I would probably not do it again. Their Billy's Chillies ale on the other hand is a beer I revisit but it is much less aggressive. Ska's Mole Stout which has a nice pepper burn is wonderful. This again, is a shocking novelty. But well achieved.

3.64/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed on-tap at the brewery

You aren't drinking more than a few sips; I saw a $4.50 12oz bottle at Bubbles last week and almost pulled the trigger; made with a blend of Ghost Chili; almost a metallic pepper smell on the nose; burns my throat immediately; my good lord that burns; this is the hottest beer (or drink!) I've ever or will ever taste; I almost can't type as I'm taking notes; instantly feel like I'm breathing fire; NOT for the faint of heart, fun experimental beer to share with friends.

2.85/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours out what looks like urine the next morning after a long night of drinking. It's dark yellow.. with a bit of carbonation coming up the center. Had a foamy white head that dissipated in a matter of seconds.

The smell is of burn. You definitely smell the heat hiding in this beer. But you keep smelling you can smell the sweetness from the other peppers as well. Pretty much smells like liquified peppers.

How's it taste, Ralph? Good?

It tastes like burning... ohhhh...

It taste almost like cayenne pepper in a malt beverage. There is a hint of sweet from the weaker peppers, but that goes away rather quickly when the heat hits. It's not overwhelmingly hot(for me, I love spicy foods) but it is freaking WARM. Warms you all the way down to your gut. I mainly taste peppers... wow.

Mouthfeel is just oily and warm. medium bodied, but that matters not with this beer.

Overall it's a gimmick beer, and I love the idea of it. Makes me pine for Ghost Pepper Sculpin if anything.

WARNING: If tobasco gets you hot and bothered, don't try this beer.

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company