Join our email list →

Colorado, United States | website

Chile Beer | 5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Todd on 01-11-2011

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.
2.54/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a nonic.

A: Deep golden hue. With a little rising effervescence. No head. (I think... I couldn't really see because my eyes were burning). No lacing.

S: Pickled jalapenos, vinegar, mustard, and couple of days too long in the fridge raw beef.

T: Peppers.... nothing else.

M: Light body with a lingering salty, vinegary, very very hot peppery finish that lingers on the palate and lips.

D: Sip and then pour it out.

I think the following is irrelevant since this is a novelty brew... but then again, that could be said for the whole review.

Atmosphere is okay I guess. Deep golden hue, slight rising effervescence, no head, no lacing. Nose is peppers and vinegar. Flavor.... peppers... hot... very hot... nothing else. Mouth and lips burn after a sip for about an hour after. Overall, this is... a beer I guess.

3.68/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This is a tough review to write. I don't think the scores are all that relevant - really, two sets of scores are needed.

The first set will be reviewing this as what the beer sets out to - be a wicked hot pepper elixir.
In this regard, I think the beer is successful.
A=4, S=4, T=4, M=3.5, O=3.
The beer is basically fizzy hot-pepper juice that really does burn as it goes down. It pours a sunshine yellow with a small head. Aromas are completely of chili-peppers. No secrets as to what is in this beer. Taste? Almost exclusively hot pepper. Mouthfeel - burns the mouth right away and keeps burning for quite some time after you finish drinking it. Overall, I split the beer with a friend and I wouldn't care for another. Oh yeah - I am a chili-head and I intentionally wanted a spicy chili beer, and I think this really lived up to the hype.

Now, for the second review - This brew was basically fermented, carbonated hot pepper juice. No other flavors present that I could find. It was also extremely, fiery hot all the way down.

My overall conclusion is that this beer will survive to be a "hot pepper drinker's challenge" but not much more. Kind of like going to a Thai restaurant and ordering the hottest item on the menu, just to see if you can handle it. But I can't see this being anything other than that.

One thing that I might consider, however, is cooking with this beer, especially making a pot of chili with it. Now that might be a keeper!

3.2/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Another beer from my Brown Derby, Springfield MO haul... Cool Label

Pours an effervescent amber with a sliver of cream colored head. Some floaties, near zero lacing & even le ss head retention

S: Ancho peppers, I swear when I was trying smell this, some carbonation bubbles almost got in my eyes, I'm sure that would sting. Beware!

T: Big-time heat, slight apricot sweetness buried heavily. A touch of white grapejuice blends with sharp heat on the side of the toungue & back of the throat as this warms. Finishes with heat, a touch of malty sweetness & faint smokey notes

MF: Medium bodied, moderate carbonation, so warming from the chiles

One & done, too damn spicy to have more than one. I like Chile beers, but this is all blowtorch, no finesse. Worth a try, but better suited for Tex-Mex cooking

2.46/5  rDev -20.6%

A: This poured a cloudy gold with some white head.
S: It smelled like jalapeno and chipotle and tabasco. Can't find much beer related scent.
T: It tasted like sweet peppers and burning. It had a lasting intensely hot aftertaste.
M: It was watery with lots of carbonation. Fizzy body.
D: This was exactly what it claims to be - hot beer. Really hot. If the scent didn't warn you off, the taste certainly should. Fitting body, but tough to handle the finish. Definitely not easy to drink. Fun to try once, but not for much more than a few sips, unless you're really into spicy drinks.

3.57/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a deep, murky apple cider color with a fizzy soda-like head that dies quick.

S: A rich, smoky pepper aroma. Chipotle salsa is what came to mind here the most. Definitely doesn't smell like something you want to mess around with.

T: Opens on the mild side- sweet and smooth with mostly honey and grain coming through. Then there's a gradual build of smoky hot fire that kind of just keeps building and building. I've had ghost pepper hot sauce before, and this never comes close to that kind of heat. But as far as beers go, this is by far the hottest I've had. Not a lot of flavor in this beer, but if hot is what you're looking for, pull up a chair.

3.98/5  rDev +28.4%

This beer doesn't get the credit it deserves.

If a complex beer shreds your taste buds with bitter hops, it's lofted into the heavens. If it shreds your taste buds with peppers, it's denounced as a novelty. Well, forget your standards! Drink this beer for what it is.

Ghost Face Killah pours a hazy gold with a fizzy head that fades fast to nearly nothing. I almost rated it sub-2, but the faint trail of bubbles sprouting mid-beer made it look like a foreboding elixir. It makes you nervous before you even know what's inside.

Its smell is a complex mix of dull warming peppers and sharp, spicy and slightly sweet chile pepper oil. There's also a little wheat. Unlike any beer I've ever smelled.

And the taste. Oh man. For a split second it's full and warming, with another hint of wheat. Then the fireworks start and never end. A hot blend of spice smack you straight in the face. Your lips chap and your throat chafes a little. Is that a bead of sweat on my brow?

Overall the blend is very hot, somewhat sweet and incredibly unique -- even by chile beer standards. Rating it by traditional means is almost unfair, as this is less of a beer than a face-singeing culinary experience.

2.02/5  rDev -34.8%

Poured into a pint glass. Pale straw color and hazy with little head. The carbonation is almost non-existent. The nose is hot peppers. The taste is a creeping asault of HOT peppers. With a 6 peeper blend and habanero being one of them it is not for the faint of heart. The heat is too intense for me to finish a bottle. The malt and hops just even be tasted after the first sip; they just vanish. If you split the bottle up between 4 or more people then it might get finished.

2.85/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A gimmick beer. Better than Eds Cave Creek because the beer part is better. Instead of a lame pepper juice taste, this one provides a full-bore hot pepper experience. If you like this sort of thing, the beer is well crafted. For me, this is too much hot pepper, not enough beer.

Pours a hazy apple cider color with a fizzy white head that dies fast with no lacing. Aroma is rich, pungent hot peppers, not much in the way of beer smell.

Taste is a mild ale until the hot pepper kicks in. The effect is not an undrinkable blast but rather a slow destruction of the taste buds. If you are into this sort of thing, you could call this a slow sipper. As someone looking forward to a Father's Day BBQ after drinking this, I was more concerned about tasting my food later on than finishing this beer.

Mouthfeel is a blast of hot peppers on top of a mild ale.

Overall, for me - a drain pour. For someone that likes this sort of thing, it is worthy of finishing. Not a poorly crafted drink, just not something I would want to experience beyond about a 2-3 oz sample.

3.28/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Drinking this at the brewery! This brew pours up a clear golden color. Small white head. Aroma is straight ghost pepper, which is an empty spice spice spice smell. You can feel the tingle on your nose. Now for the taste. Pale malts with a nice hop balance. Then BAM!! Spice takes over your mouth! I think this might be the same recipe as Billy's Chilies but they just add the ghost pepper. Smooth carbo, light bodied. If you can take the heat, it's a good brew

3.52/5  rDev +13.5%

A: Pours a cloudy piss orange. Small fizzy tan head that fades away instantly. No lacing, no head retention.

S: Lots of vegetal pepper. Lots and lots of it. Not much heat in the nose but you kinda get a sense that it means business. Maybe it's in my head.

T: Vegetal peppers up front with a surprisingly nice sweet grainy malt. Like sweetbread and crackers. Tiny bit of heat up front but it grows...and grows....and grow. Smoky, smouldering, intensifying heat builds to a peak after about 10 seconds and then slowly fades. The smoky buildup is definitely classic ghost pepper. Start sweating almost immediately, lips burning, heart rate increasing. Very nice heat, the best I've had in any beer ever.

M: Medium bodied, "smooth"

O: The first truly hot chile beer I've ever had. It's not unbearable but I doubt I could drink much more than the 12 ounces by myself. Palate gets fatigued and the lips just don't like the burning for so long. Still, nice simple beer with an impressive amount of chile pepper flavor and especially heat.

3.11/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured into a tulip glass. No head on a cloudy straw colored body.
The smell was of fire roasted chili peppers.
Well, it's a chili beer... so it's HOT through and through. In fact that's the only flavor to come through: the pepper heat.
It has a crisp texture with low carbonation.
It bordered on painful to drink but I could still finish the 12 oz bottle.

3.08/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

A- Pale amber body with virtually no head to speak of. Leaves a few clear bubbles on top.

S- Smokey hot sauce. Smells like straight chipotle peppers.

T- Hot, smokey and hot. Really not much else can get by the heat.

M- Very bubbly with a thin mouthfeel. Obviously leaves quite the burn on the tongue.

O- Would not try again, but worth a try if you love hot foods. If you do not like hot foods, keep away.

2.14/5  rDev -31%

So, interesting brew.

Appearance looks like your standard pilsner style lager, decent head, looks appetizing.

I love hot sauce and hot peppers, but the smell is awful on this beer. Starting with a nose of rancid peppers/hot sauce, the smell creeps into your throat and starts to burn. Hard to take a drink after such a terrible smell.

Taste is not much better. The heat is completely tolerable in this beer, so that is not the issue for me. Rather, the rotten pepper/hot sauce taste from the nose translates directly to the taste. Very unappealing. Maybe it would be better if I were eating some strong chili with this beer.

Overall, this is a gimmick beer, and it tastes like it. The only part of the beer I liked was the heat, maybe you could cook with this to kick up the spice in some chili. Unfortunate that the taste was so bad, I love almost anything that can bring the heat, and this beer can. If the taste were better I would seek this out regularly.

3.06/5  rDev -1.3%

Shared by Rhino.

I'm scared. The beer smells like it's about to whoop my ass. Hot red peppers, campfire smoke, blazing chili. Ok here goes...

Hot damn! Massive palate assaulting heat intensity. I'm a medium heat guy when it comes to chili, wings, Thai food, etc. This is pretty high intensity to me. An assortment of hot peppers on a medium bodied ale. Moderate carbonation. Lingering burn.

This was pretty fun. For what it is, this is done pretty well.I definitely recommend splitting the bottle several ways.

3.44/5  rDev +11%

Okay, so when I poured this beer into a tulip, something foreboding and frightening occured. The head atop this beer BROILED up furiously, to about 5 fingers (hard pour) and just as it reached the lip, it immediately began simmering back down and settled into nonexistance... wow.

Color is muddy golden orange, with active carbonation if you look close enough. Smells like a wild Belgian yeast that eats way too much Kung Pao. If there were a such thing as a Chile Lambic, that's how it'd smell. You get hints of that funky yeast, smothered in sweet pepper jelly. The taste is... hot. You get hit with a little lager sweetness before the flavor profile instantly bursts into flame. Luckily this is the kinda heat that simmers down quickly, but you WILL feel this beer on your lips and tongue for ahile. Mouthfeel is like a medium lager, almost a high ABV pilsner, mouth-wise. Overall this beer carries it's gimmick with pride, and in all honesty, I am enjoying it, but unfortunately the only thing it really has enough of is heat, and that's not enough to bring me back to a beer over and over.

3.49/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz botte poured.

A- pours a crystal clear straw color with faint hues of red and green
no head very little visible carbonation.

S- like raw uncooked hot peppers. Fresh smell like if you walked through a pepper garden. Intriguing.

T- in your face peppers. Hot. Heat starts sweet then swells to a burn in about half a second. I suggest having a lager to chase this. You can actually taste the milder peppers up front which is nice. Heat lasts a few minutes and slowly fades.

M- good level of carbonation ( low-moderate) with a slight silkyness. Then hot pepper acid burns and tingles.

O- this beer rocks. I didn't really know what to think being this is my first peppered beer. I suggest drinking with food, chedder cheese & crackers or something mild. This could tear a stomach to shreds. Good flavor and heat. A strange but awesome experience. Noone can truly describe this beer, you just gotta jump in and see for yourself.

Enjoy

3.77/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had to try this one out of morbid curiosity.

Served in a Port City tulip.

A: Poured a bright orange with a slight chill haze, some visible carbonation, and really no head whatsoever.

S: Actually, I dug the smell on this much more than I though I would. Liquified pepper mixture, for sure. You can actually smell the vegetable heat!

T: Certainly a spicy endurance test, like a vegetable garden, and with sort of a salty backbone overall.

M: The hottest, most offensively tear inducing beer in history, but I kinda dug it in sort of a sick way. No lacing or booze detected, just straight up heat.

O: This is a novelty beer, for sure, but it's not without it's merits.

3.21/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

12oz bottle from Lueken's Liquors (Dunedin, FL). 3.99. No bottling info. Served in a Cigar City snifter.

Pours hazy orange with a half finger of white head that dissapears quickly. No lace.

Nose is all peppers. Seriously. LOTS of peppers- green, anaheim and jalepeno. I like peppers so I find it pretty appealing.

Wow! That's a damn spicy beer. Nice hot habenero and ghost pepper bite that lingers but allows the cooler jalepeno, anaheim and fresno flavors to peek through. Very interesting.

Lighter side of medium body with nice mellow but sizzling carbonation. Looong slightly burning aftertaste.

Not what I look for in a beer but this was a novel and enjoyable experience. Most likely too hot for most folks but I like it.

2.85/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass. I was really looking forward to this one - if only for the novelty factor alone.

A: Pours a cloudy golden color. The head is a one finger white shade that retains very poorly.

S: File this one into the "no shit" category: it's full of ridiculously hot peppers. Plain and simple, it smells like acid reflux. Yay?

T: This actually has more to it than just bowel-fuckingly hot peppers. For a brief minute, it has slight touches of initial tropical fruit (like mango and papaya). Then, the midtaste becomes quite smoky, and then pure fiery heat descends. I also detect notes of pine and phenolic plastic. I'm surprised how complex this is; no it doesn't layer itself in a finessed manner - but there is a rock-solid depth to it. In terms of heat, it's not really that far off from a spicy michelada, nor is it the hottest thing I've put in my mouth. If anything, it hits the hallmark objective of what a spicy tongue-fucker should achieve: can you taste more to it than just stupid chile heat? If anything, the huge phenolic notes are the biggest detractor for me, not the spiciness.

M: For sure, one burns the palate with searing heat. This destroys the palate far better than any IPA could hope to achieve. It's clean and dry enough where the heat actually doesn't last ridiculously long on the palate, though. Still, I can really feel it in my esophagus, retro-nasals, and stomach - and I can really feel acid reflux setting in, too.

O: It's actually not the hottest thing I've ever had before - but it's one of the hottest things I've ever drank (only a couple of bloody marys or micheladas that I overspiced really challenge it). It gets a 4.5 just for the experience; it's certainly not pleasant, but it's somehow fun to drink. I reckon this would make an awesome adjunct to chili, as well.

3.59/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served chilled in a tulip pilsner with what else but a bowl of chili to go along with it.

Pours a light copper color with very airy beige head that recedes very quickly with virtually no surface layer or lacing.

No big surprise with the aromas. Smells like beer and hot peppers.

Flavor of hot peppers hits you immediately. Most prevalent to me were the anaheims and jalapenos, but there was a hint of smoke on the tail end from the serranos.

Light bodied with moderate carbonation and a bit of a weak finish. Heat and aftertaste do not linger as much as you would expect.

Overall I did enjoy this beer for what it was. I think best enjoyed when paired with food of the same nature.

2.64/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

Claims to be the hottest this side of hell.... but I have the Pick of Destiny!

Golden light pale with a little murk and a mirror surface, some bubbles come up in two ovals, which send their bubbles into the same confluent strip, giving this a hard dick and balls look.

Smells like somebody took some beautifully ripened chili's, I get some poblano mostly and cooked it over a gas grill, nice and aritificial. Some bits of chicken broth.

Really expecting this to taste like piss. Let's see...

Not quite like the piss I've had in the past. I initially get a sweetness of grain and maybe marshmallow cream. Then comes the onslaught of demons from the bowels of the deep. Earthy and robust with fiery wrath the peppers charge onto the playfield of my tight, wet, warm mouth. Mmmm, my mouth.... Then I pretty much just feel like some black, no wait, maybe green, toasted green peppercorns just rolled over my mouth with cold mashed potatoes. The appeal is undeniable. It's hard to imagine a better flavor for the style. (2.5)

Mouthfeel is like a porcupine dick: thin and prickly, and stabs fast like the first few minutes of a Peter North performance. Then my mouth is simply left drenched and dripping wet. My wife likes the way it feels in my mouth.

Overall this is the best chili beer probably ever, second only to the mis-categorized Budweiser Chelada (original, not light).

3.9/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bought out of curiosity for $3.89 for 12oz in AR. I should note that I tend to like this style (including Cave Creek), although I always feel I need a beer (non-Chile) to wash it down.

Poured with a golden orange color and a highly enthusiastic head – couldn’t pour normally without pausing without overflow. Head diminished very quickly to no head/no lacing, but visible carbonation.

Smell is highly dominated by hot peppers. Of the hints of beer, smell similar to Corona, but more malt and slight sweetness…but no mistaking what you are facing.

Starts as a hot, but pleasant, beer. But, the heat is more than normally palatable. (Note that I make hot world-class chili with 6 types of fresh hot peppers and consume hot sauces at nearly every meal.) Honestly, I really like the flavor…fairly complex blend of peppers…just not the overall heat intensity. The beer base, a high quality Mexican beer style, is totally appropriate.

Mouthfeel is medium light as appropriate for the style.

IMO, everything works here but the heat intensity. Maybe you need this heat to achieve the real pepper flavor. It is the best “hot pepper” beer I’ve had. Would have been better if consumed with food or split with a fellow drinker. Would I drink this again? Yes, but probably sharing 12oz with someone.

I can’t say I wasn’t warned and I am happy to say I have drunk this. It is definitely not for mainstream beer people. Isn’t craft beer fun!

4.12/5  rDev +32.9%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

$4.50 for the 12oz single, served in a pint glass
No ABV indicated on the bottle
Sampled 06JAN13

[A] An average pour yields a pale, golden-orange body, clear with just a touch of haze, and a full finger of fizzy head. Bright white and short lived. After fading the surface is entirely still, but visible carbonation shows a little bit of life. No lacing.

[S] Capsicum of all kinds. Green, orange, red, fresh, charred, seedy and fleshy. The nose is literally 'pepper' in every way imaginable. Other than that, pretty straightforward.

[T] The front end of the palate actually has a touch of sweetness. And the first wave of heat is very soft and approachable. Then, the intensity heightens after the swallow, but it never becomes extreme. It is impossible to say for sure, but the base beer seems pretty darn solid. It works as a great canvas for the layers and layers of pepper and heat. I'm digging this.

[M] The mouthfeel is surprisingly complete. Medium full and chewier than expected. My saliva starts to thicken on the second half of the bottle.

[O] I bought this bottle for the novelty of it, honestly. But I will say this: Ghostface Killah is actually a very good beer - and even better when considering the style. Sure, it's for those with an affinity for heat, but those who crave a little fire will not find it to be over the top. I finished the bottle no problem.

1.76/5  rDev -43.2%

A spicy beer! I couldn't resist....

Poured into a pint glass, it was amber in color and slightly hazy. The nose was filled with strong aromas of sweet/spicy peppers.

The smoked serrano is the first thing I tasted followed by a subtle sweet malt/hops flavo, but I only tasted those flavors for a second before the heat took over. The heat definitely overpowers the "beer" flavors

It's different than I was expecting but definitely a fun experience, it's worth trying if you like spicy things.

3.17/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle

A- Pours a hazy golden yellow/amber color with a small fizzy white head that quickly dissipates.

S- The aroma is roasted chilis and very faint malt, you can definitely smell the spicy peppery throughout the nose.

T- The taste is a very brief moment of maltiness with the spiciness from the chilies quickly kicking in and lingering well into the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied and highly carbonated.

O- Overall, this beer packs the heat unlike any other beer I have tried. As someone who enjoys spicy foods, I enjoyed the uniqueness of this beer. I wouldn't be able to drink more that one bottle of this in a sitting, actually it is pretty difficult to just finish one bottle.

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company