Ghost Face Killah - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Twisted Pine Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-11-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
kylehay2004

3.7/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: hazy orange body with no head.

S: lots of chili and peppercorn. Habaneros, Hot sauce.

T: Pretty ridiculous. Its like having 2 parts hot sauce, one part water. This burn lingers for a long while. Might as well stop any beer tasting you may be a part of for a while after this one. But actually, the flavor is excellent.

M: no idea. It just burns.

Overall: a must try and a must share. Perhaps 4 oz bottles would be better.

04-16-2012 00:35:11 | More by kylehay2004
doppelmeup

3.69/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This is a tough review to write. I don't think the scores are all that relevant - really, two sets of scores are needed.

The first set will be reviewing this as what the beer sets out to - be a wicked hot pepper elixir.
In this regard, I think the beer is successful.
A=4, S=4, T=4, M=3.5, O=3.
The beer is basically fizzy hot-pepper juice that really does burn as it goes down. It pours a sunshine yellow with a small head. Aromas are completely of chili-peppers. No secrets as to what is in this beer. Taste? Almost exclusively hot pepper. Mouthfeel - burns the mouth right away and keeps burning for quite some time after you finish drinking it. Overall, I split the beer with a friend and I wouldn't care for another. Oh yeah - I am a chili-head and I intentionally wanted a spicy chili beer, and I think this really lived up to the hype.

Now, for the second review - This brew was basically fermented, carbonated hot pepper juice. No other flavors present that I could find. It was also extremely, fiery hot all the way down.

My overall conclusion is that this beer will survive to be a "hot pepper drinker's challenge" but not much more. Kind of like going to a Thai restaurant and ordering the hottest item on the menu, just to see if you can handle it. But I can't see this being anything other than that.

One thing that I might consider, however, is cooking with this beer, especially making a pot of chili with it. Now that might be a keeper!

08-11-2013 19:54:26 | More by doppelmeup
Mora2000

3.68/5  rDev +21.1%

Thanks to someone for sharing this at the May Freetail bottle release. When I saw this beer brought out I had no idea what to think. I love spicy food, but I am not a huge fan of chili beers so this should be interesting.

The beer pours a basic yellow color with a large white head. The aroma is very heavy on the peppers. There may be a little bit of malt mixed in, but this smells like you just stuck your head in a bucket of peppers.

The flavor is more of the same. I get a ton of heat when I drink the beer but there is also some nice pepper flavors. I can't say that I can pick out the individual chilis, but it is definitely more complex than the flavor in Billy's Chilis and some of the other pepper beers I have tried - such as the infamous Cave Creek Chili Beer. The heat lingers after the beer has left your mouth.

Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation. This is a hard beer to rate since it is so unlike most other beers, but I did like it.

09-10-2011 20:40:35 | More by Mora2000
Agold

3.68/5  rDev +21.1%

OK. I sought out this beer so I can only blame myself for this. Pours with no head at all. Zero lacing. Zero retention. Aroma is likelike chili oil. Smells like fresh hot peppers just cut. Tastes like chili sauce. The heat sort of creeps up on you. It is just on the pleasant side of hot sauce. Could go very nicely with some Mexican or Thai food. Mouthfeel is heat. Light dry and hot. It is exactly what I would want from a hot pepper beer. I am using overall as drinkability. Holy crap. More than 2 oz is too much. Its a cool experience and a very unique beer.

03-16-2012 07:36:45 | More by Agold
dogfishandi

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks again to trxxpaxxs for sharing!

12oz twist off poured into a snifter, fridge temp.

pours a cloudy deep golden bordering on a light amber color. some white head that fades to nothing rather quickly.

i first get some peachy almost citrus aroma, but then gives way to all kinds of chile pepper aromas, seeds and all. the aroma does not prepare you for how hot this beer actually is, but i suppose you cant smell hot...

holy hell!!! this is like biting into a habenero! burns every part of your mouth and throat and stomach on the way down and boy does that heat linger.

your palate is left completely wrecked. your mouth throat and overall feel are more similar to drinking hot sauce than beer. fairly light in body.

its hard to enjoy this beer, but im super glad that i got a chance to try it. i was looking forward to it for awhile, and i definatly wasnt expecting it to be quite as hot as it was, despite what people have told me.

06-30-2012 04:23:47 | More by dogfishandi
dbossman

Nebraska

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Slightly cloudy, light brown hue with a thin, thin head; lacing is good

S: Well, that's a lot of peppers--but woody, smokey, complex array of peppers; herbal, vegetal, earthy, spicy; this smells hot as hell and I have to admit that I am intimidated even though I love spicy foods; but really this smells pretty good and I'm ready to go

T: Yes, that is spicy but a good slow, smokey burn; of course, the peppers are the show here and very little else is discernible but this is a chilli beer and it's tasty

F: A touch thin up front but the oily, sticky pepper residue gives this a nice feel in the finish

O: I like this beer; the pepper variety adds complexity and though this isn't a normal, go-to beer, it's fun and I will definitely be back; I'm not sure why some say it was difficult to get through; yes, it's spicy but I slowed down and am happy to say I made it through the entire bottle; let's do this again, GFK, let's do this again

04-12-2012 20:26:07 | More by dbossman
SkeeterBoganski

Colorado

3.6/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed on-tap at the brewery

You aren't drinking more than a few sips; I saw a $4.50 12oz bottle at Bubbles last week and almost pulled the trigger; made with a blend of Ghost Chili; almost a metallic pepper smell on the nose; burns my throat immediately; my good lord that burns; this is the hottest beer (or drink!) I've ever or will ever taste; I almost can't type as I'm taking notes; instantly feel like I'm breathing fire; NOT for the faint of heart, fun experimental beer to share with friends.

11-11-2012 02:14:02 | More by SkeeterBoganski
Dope

3.6/5  rDev +18.4%

A: Pours a cloudy piss orange. Small fizzy tan head that fades away instantly. No lacing, no head retention.

S: Lots of vegetal pepper. Lots and lots of it. Not much heat in the nose but you kinda get a sense that it means business. Maybe it's in my head.

T: Vegetal peppers up front with a surprisingly nice sweet grainy malt. Like sweetbread and crackers. Tiny bit of heat up front but it grows...and grows....and grow. Smoky, smouldering, intensifying heat builds to a peak after about 10 seconds and then slowly fades. The smoky buildup is definitely classic ghost pepper. Start sweating almost immediately, lips burning, heart rate increasing. Very nice heat, the best I've had in any beer ever.

M: Medium bodied, "smooth"

O: The first truly hot chile beer I've ever had. It's not unbearable but I doubt I could drink much more than the 12 ounces by myself. Palate gets fatigued and the lips just don't like the burning for so long. Still, nice simple beer with an impressive amount of chile pepper flavor and especially heat.

06-07-2013 01:50:28 | More by Dope
srhoadsy

3.6/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served chilled in a tulip pilsner with what else but a bowl of chili to go along with it.

Pours a light copper color with very airy beige head that recedes very quickly with virtually no surface layer or lacing.

No big surprise with the aromas. Smells like beer and hot peppers.

Flavor of hot peppers hits you immediately. Most prevalent to me were the anaheims and jalapenos, but there was a hint of smoke on the tail end from the serranos.

Light bodied with moderate carbonation and a bit of a weak finish. Heat and aftertaste do not linger as much as you would expect.

Overall I did enjoy this beer for what it was. I think best enjoyed when paired with food of the same nature.

03-06-2013 23:55:50 | More by srhoadsy
Duff27

3.58/5  rDev +17.8%

Not much head. Murky dull gold cores body.

Woo! Love the smell!. Make the nostrils flare.

Definite hot! Aftertaste. For sure. Can handle it but yeah! Not much after the pepper heat.

Low carbonation. Medium mouthfeel,

Lovin it. Although beer wise I'd set it back a half step from Great Danes Tri-Pepper Pilsner. Thanks kawilliams81.

07-04-2012 03:44:07 | More by Duff27
notchucknorris

3.56/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a deep, murky apple cider color with a fizzy soda-like head that dies quick.

S: A rich, smoky pepper aroma. Chipotle salsa is what came to mind here the most. Definitely doesn't smell like something you want to mess around with.

T: Opens on the mild side- sweet and smooth with mostly honey and grain coming through. Then there's a gradual build of smoky hot fire that kind of just keeps building and building. I've had ghost pepper hot sauce before, and this never comes close to that kind of heat. But as far as beers go, this is by far the hottest I've had. Not a lot of flavor in this beer, but if hot is what you're looking for, pull up a chair.

07-15-2013 01:32:19 | More by notchucknorris
baconsausage

Vermont

3.55/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pour looks like you would expect a macro lager to look like, yellow and fizzy. Aroma of peppers abounds, taste is a bit sweet at first, corny, then gives way to the peppers. Not to hot, but defanatly has some heat to it. Swish it around in you mouth for a bit. A lot of jalapeño and ancho flavor is strong to me. Good for a pepper beer, would like to try a freshie.

08-10-2011 21:51:10 | More by baconsausage