Ghost Face Killah - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Todd on 01-11-2011

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

I had to give this beer that is billed as "the hottest beer in the world" a try when I saw it on the shelf of my local store. And hot it most certainly is! There were about 6 of us that sampled it- some said moderately hot, but others like myself thought it was flaming hot. The flavor wasn't all that bad before the incredible heat set in. But it is what it is...a novelty, yet interesting, beer to be shared with friends to see who can handle the heat. (454 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1

A: Hazy yellow pour without much head. Looks like it also has a pretty low amount of carbonation.

S: Smells like peppers and heat. Is this a beer or is it hot sauce??

T: Holy Shit. Ghost peppers. All heat. It starts as beer and then just destroys you with heat.

MF: Light, with actually a nice amount of carbonation. The aftertaste is what kills you.

O: Impressive, but damn, how could anyone drink an entire bottle of this? (428 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -5.4%

Why does this exist?

When I bought it the staff told me not to do it. I had to try it, aka tick it off.

Pours a reddish hazy gold, very little head even with a vigorous pour.

Smells like hot peppers.

Tastes exactly as it smells, layers of hot peppers with an intense burn at the end.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery, my least favorite part of it, not tons of body nothing backing up the heat.

Overall I feel like they accomplished what they were going for, I have to respect them for that.

I wouldn't have more than one, and I'm sure I'll regret it tomorrow, but I would recommended you try it. (600 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -5.7%

12oz bottle. Pours a clear straw gold with a very small white head that quickly goes the a slight collar.

The aroma is a little sweet malt and chili peppers. It's more subdued than expected.

The flavor is a slight touch of sweet malt quickly dominated by chilis with a big burn at the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with very low carbonation.

Overall, it's a completely one dimensional beer - it's all about the heat and the chilis. But it's definitely the hottest beer I've had. It's not as bad a ghost pepper sauces I've had though. (545 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -5.7%

12oz bottle.

A: slightly hazy yellow with a bit of thin white head that quickly fades.

S: peppers. veggie green, serrano and habanero and something else hot – mostly jalapenos

T: not as hot as i expected but pretty good as far as heat is concened. Very little other tastes.

M: light body - hotness overwhelms all other sensations

O: a fun novelty beer, glad to have tried it once but will not seek out again. This is pretty much pepper water, no discernible beer qualities here besides appearance (504 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -6.7%

12oz bottle shared with neorunner.

A: slightly hazy yellow with a bit of thin white head that quickly fades.

S: peppers. veggie green, serrano and habanero and something else hot - bhut perhaps?

T: not as hot as i expected but pretty fair heat. very little other tastes, perhaps generic pils and a touch of corn.

M: light body - hotness overwhelms all other sensations

O: a fun novelty beer, i've had hotter homebrewed stuff. glad to have tried it once but will not seek out again. this is pretty much pepper water, no discernible beer qualities here besides appearance (576 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -7%

Another beer shared by Rhettroactive the other night. It poured a light golden color with a thin white head sticking to edges of the glass.

In the aroma I get a lot of vegetable like pepper qualities to it. It's got a little heat, but not that telling as to how hot it's going to be. Pretty much smells like a hot pepper. The aroma actually showed off the peppers fairly well.

The heat is pretty intense in the taste. It's definitely the hottest thing I've ever drank. A little of the pepper flavor is detectable, but otherwise it just tastes like burning.

The mouthfeel is this with carbonation being on the lower side. Overall, they definitely succeeded at making a hot as hell beer. As a chili beer, it was a cool novelty to share with friends and get some laughs from. As a beer though, it's about as drinkable as hot pepper juice is. (841 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -7.3%

Thanks, willandperry! I've been anxious to try this one :-)

Appearance. Pours a clear, yellow gold with two fingers of white head that doesn't last long at all.

Smell. Wow, roasted sweet red peppers and a smokey, salty driftwood kind of smell. Interesting, but not as something to drink...

Taste. Tangy bell peppers along with white pepper and hot fresh jalepenos. This beer doesn't disapoint with the heat, and I like my firey food. Taste isn't as bad as I expected from the smell. For this "style", I guess it's pretty decent tasting.

Mouthfeel. Medium-light body, medium+ carbonation.

Overall. Well, it was an experience to say the least. Really glad to have tried it. My cheeks are sweating, and that's the level of heat that I like in any Indian, and various other ethnic foods. Extra full overall point for doing a chille beer that definitely showcases the chilles. Thanks again, willandperry! (906 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

This beer is .... very interesting haha.

Pours a hazy orange with a huge head that dies down very very quickly....no lacing left on the glass. The smell is of very hot peppers and kind of has a mexican salsa type of feel to it....I've had pepper beers before but this one smells hardcore. I took a sip and before even swallowing the beer the heat started kicking in, wow!!!!!! HOLY SHIT!...if you don't like spicy.....definitely stay away from this brew. spice lingers on the throat.....this is a beer you would want to deglaze maybe a mexican pasta dish in the pan with, it would provide killer flavor....this should be considered a cooking ingredient...not very palate friendly in my opinion just drinking it straight like this. ....The thing about this beer is that there is no balance...no sweetness...no hop presence...just straight heat.if it had some sweetness to even some of this heat out...it would be a better beer, hands down. mouthfeel is of a lager. (964 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Finally got to give this one a shot, 12 oz bottle purchased at Pinocchios in Media. I love chiles and hot food in general so what the heck.

Pours a lightly hazed dark apricot gold, with a small fizzy head that dissipates quickly and no lace. There's a very subtle sweetness buried in the aroma but it's pretty much dominated by fiery chiles; smells a lot like Tabasco to be honest. There's actually a lot of complexity to the nose if you allow yourself to dig in and not scorch your nostrils;some tropical fruit notes intermingle with a variety of chile aromas.

Unfortunately the flavor is just way too abusive and overpowering in peppery heat and no other elements can emerge very much; the overall effect is like drinking straight up hot sauce. Don't get me wrong, I love to douse my food in hot sauce but I still don't want to drink it straight from the bottle. The mouth is left with a lengthy lingering burn in the finish.

The body is medium light and the carbonation is moderately high; the mouthfeel is fine, but does it really matter? I could enjoy 2 ounces of this every now and then; finishing an entire bottle on one's own seems unecessarily punitive. A novelty to be sure but not really an enjoyable one. (1,219 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -8%

Thanks goes out to Peter (pitasoup) for bringing this bottle to share during our Savor Slam weekend.

Golden yellow beer that is moderately clear, small carbonation bubbles noticeable but nothing for head retention. Aroma is Chile and green bell peppers with onions. Flavor is initially a crisp lager but is immediately decimated by heat. While the heat is pleasantly strong it is all in the back of my mouth and very monotone. Not the best Chile beer out there, but there are many worse ones. (493 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -8.6%

Brown glass bottle with twist off cap acquired at Lukas Liquor in Lone Tree and served into a Bull & Bush pilsner glass in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are low.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours no head whatsoever. Body colour is a clear pale copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looks about right for the style.

Sm: Chili pepper in gratuitous quantities. Sweet jesus, that's all there is. Smells like pure habanero. Just smelling it is starting to prepare my perspiration glands. A strong, seizing aroma.

T: Fairly spicy, but not awful with a sip. Heavy chili pepper and chili skin, sure, but it's not as bad as youtubers and beer amateurs would have you believe. A bit vinegary, actually. Acidic. Roasted pepper. It's nowhere near as spicy as I anticipated. No alcohol comes through. No yeast character. I imagine that pale malts comprise the foundation, but they're well buried. I wouldn't say I like it; it's imbalanced as all hell. It's a surprisingly decent chili beer, though. It's definitely one note. Most of the spice is in the aftertaste; if you drink too much it'll hit you in the throat.

I had milk on hand while reviewing, but I didn't end up needing any. Don't let the sensitivists convince you that it's as spicy as the brewery's marketing team wants us to think it is.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but the mouthfeel is widely irrelevant here. Adequately carbonated, with good thickness. The texture here is just a means of enabling you to consume it.

Dr: Surprisingly drinkable given its reputation. Reading some of the other reviews, I didn't think some of my fellow beeradvocate members were such panzies. This really isn't that bad as long as you sip it. Still, it'd be real tough to quaff. I'll have a bit of trouble killing this glass, but I expected it to be intolerable.

Largely a gimmicky marketing ploy. Meh.

(1,993 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours out what looks like urine the next morning after a long night of drinking. It's dark yellow.. with a bit of carbonation coming up the center. Had a foamy white head that dissipated in a matter of seconds.

The smell is of burn. You definitely smell the heat hiding in this beer. But you keep smelling you can smell the sweetness from the other peppers as well. Pretty much smells like liquified peppers.

How's it taste, Ralph? Good?

It tastes like burning... ohhhh...

It taste almost like cayenne pepper in a malt beverage. There is a hint of sweet from the weaker peppers, but that goes away rather quickly when the heat hits. It's not overwhelmingly hot(for me, I love spicy foods) but it is freaking WARM. Warms you all the way down to your gut. I mainly taste peppers... wow.

Mouthfeel is just oily and warm. medium bodied, but that matters not with this beer.

Overall it's a gimmick beer, and I love the idea of it. Makes me pine for Ghost Pepper Sculpin if anything.

WARNING: If tobasco gets you hot and bothered, don't try this beer. (1,052 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A gimmick beer. Better than Eds Cave Creek because the beer part is better. Instead of a lame pepper juice taste, this one provides a full-bore hot pepper experience. If you like this sort of thing, the beer is well crafted. For me, this is too much hot pepper, not enough beer.

Pours a hazy apple cider color with a fizzy white head that dies fast with no lacing. Aroma is rich, pungent hot peppers, not much in the way of beer smell.

Taste is a mild ale until the hot pepper kicks in. The effect is not an undrinkable blast but rather a slow destruction of the taste buds. If you are into this sort of thing, you could call this a slow sipper. As someone looking forward to a Father's Day BBQ after drinking this, I was more concerned about tasting my food later on than finishing this beer.

Mouthfeel is a blast of hot peppers on top of a mild ale.

Overall, for me - a drain pour. For someone that likes this sort of thing, it is worthy of finishing. Not a poorly crafted drink, just not something I would want to experience beyond about a 2-3 oz sample. (1,061 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass. I was really looking forward to this one - if only for the novelty factor alone.

A: Pours a cloudy golden color. The head is a one finger white shade that retains very poorly.

S: File this one into the "no shit" category: it's full of ridiculously hot peppers. Plain and simple, it smells like acid reflux. Yay?

T: This actually has more to it than just bowel-fuckingly hot peppers. For a brief minute, it has slight touches of initial tropical fruit (like mango and papaya). Then, the midtaste becomes quite smoky, and then pure fiery heat descends. I also detect notes of pine and phenolic plastic. I'm surprised how complex this is; no it doesn't layer itself in a finessed manner - but there is a rock-solid depth to it. In terms of heat, it's not really that far off from a spicy michelada, nor is it the hottest thing I've put in my mouth. If anything, it hits the hallmark objective of what a spicy tongue-fucker should achieve: can you taste more to it than just stupid chile heat? If anything, the huge phenolic notes are the biggest detractor for me, not the spiciness.

M: For sure, one burns the palate with searing heat. This destroys the palate far better than any IPA could hope to achieve. It's clean and dry enough where the heat actually doesn't last ridiculously long on the palate, though. Still, I can really feel it in my esophagus, retro-nasals, and stomach - and I can really feel acid reflux setting in, too.

O: It's actually not the hottest thing I've ever had before - but it's one of the hottest things I've ever drank (only a couple of bloody marys or micheladas that I overspiced really challenge it). It gets a 4.5 just for the experience; it's certainly not pleasant, but it's somehow fun to drink. I reckon this would make an awesome adjunct to chili, as well. (1,835 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance: Poured a hazy orange with little to no head at all.

Smell: The aroma was roasted peppers. And more peppers.

Taste: Really wasn't much flavor. Your lips are immediately hit with fire. Then your throat catches on fire. DEEP BURN!

Mouthfeel: A bit on the thin side. Carbonation was low.

Overall: For a novelty beer it did what it promised. Burned. I can't really knock it because it didn't really promise anything other than that. My expectations were met. I personally didn't enjoy it but for the novelty aspect it was great! For the beer flavor aspect? Not so much. (580 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -11.1%

Ghost Face Killah pours a golden yellow orange color with a white head.

The aroma of this beer is intense and is a warning to anyone who is bold enough to drink it. The intense peppers and spice are like a kick in the face and are almost enough to burn the nostrils.

From the first sip this beer burns, and it burns all the way down the throat, and it continues to burn for a few minutes after each taste. It burns so much that you can hardly taste anythings else.

Not sure why anyone would drink this beer unless it is on some sort of a dare. I could not make it through a bottle and would only use it for cooking. The beer is just too spicy to to drink and you can not taste anything in the beer other than fire. (717 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

12pz bottle poured into Gandhi Bot tulip. Thanks Josh (thebigredone) for this unique extra.

A- Pours a slightly hazy translucent golden with about a finger of white head that recedes fairly fast, decent carbonation with nice consistency.

S- Harsh peppers, pepper seeds, Tabasco sauce, grass. Definitely not the most pleasant smelling beer but what do you expect from having so many different peppers in this.

T- Starts off with some light orangey sweetness with a little bit of corn starch and earthy peppers that provide some heat. Finishes with a dry pepper taste bringing out a much more intense heat that lingers for a long time. The pepper heat on the finish basically kills any other flavors there might be. Far from the hottest thing I've tried, but easily the hottest beer I've had.

M- Extremely dry which brings out the pepper heat more, decent carbonation, medium bodied.

O- This is definitely a novelty beer and not exactly a beer that is meant to be "enjoyed", they designed this beers or sole purpose to be as hot as possible. This is one of the beers we did at a big chili beer tasting and it was definitely the hottest one there although others had "ghost" and "scorpion" peppers. This isn't something you want a full glass of, they probably should have bottled it in 4-6oz nip bottles as those would have been more then plenty. An interesting beer to try especially if you are into hot stuff, but not something I'd be itching to try again. (1,460 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -12.4%

Muthafu****, thanks Mike! 12oz bottle into Bell's tulip.

A - Pours a slight hazy orange/yellow color, not much white foam, thin ring, wisps.

S - Lots of peppers, very peppery-hot, and that's about it for me.

T - Ouch, this one hurts my mouth/throat/stomach/etc. Very hot, tons of chili peppers, would be good to mix into a mild salsa but not good to continue drinking.

M - 3rd degree burns on the inside of my body. I tried not to spill any on my cloths or furniture for fear or catching on fire. Light carbonation but the peppers add a spitz that makes up for that.

O - Well, the name is cool and it's f'n hot. So, I think they pretty much captured what they went out to do here. I couldn't drink much, but it's def as-advertisted. Hot a shit. If you like hot salsa or anything with peppers, try this. Hurts to drink, so that's a negative. (845 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -13.4%

12 oz bottle pours a hazed yellow color with a few bubbles of head, no retention or lacing, which is typical of chile beers.

Nose is fire, straight up fire. Intense heat with vegetal chile aroma. Smells like hatch chiles on steroids AND HGH. Wow.

After drinking 5 beers I finally got the courage to pop this fucker. I was planning on sharing it, but a good opportunity never presented itself over the past few months. I was planning on attempting to drink the whole thing by myself, but after one sip am reproaching myself and there is no way in the fiery depths of hell I am finishing this one…or am I? The malt is lightly grainy and the chile flavor is somewhere between smoky chipotle and raw poblano peppers. Somewhat like a habanero, but earthier and more vegetal. Holy hell, I love hot stuff and have enjoyed almost all the chile beers I have had...but this takes it a bit too far. About 3 oz in I am ready to throw in the towel...I think I will re-cap and use in some cooking. This is not a good beer by any means, but the novelty score is a 5.0 and I wouldnt take back the experience for anything...maybe :)

Edit…I drank about half of it and got the bright idea to add a Modelo Especial to it and it works very well. I mixed a 1:1 ratio and it is hot, but not sweat-inducing hot. I think I can finish it…Im a stubborn son of a bitch. I will need to chase this with some Tums though.

Double Edit...I drank 12 oz of this concoction, my stomach is making some really wierd noises and burping hurts pretty bad. Not for the faint of heart, but if you are a glutton for punishment this beer is right up your alley. (1,626 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A: Pours a crystal clear medium yellow in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some medium golden yellow highlights. The beer has a three finger tall sudsy off-white head that reduces to a medium thick film covering the entire surface of the beer with a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of pureed hot peppers and lots of them (similar to the smell that I got when I was making homemade hot sauce but even spicier). Slight vegetal aromas as well.

T: Upfront there are faint flavors of grainy malts but that is quickly overtaken by the flavors of the hot peppers/chiles. The heat from the hot peppers definitely builds as you continue to drink this beer - not so hot as to be not consumable but certainly not a real enjoyable flavor.

M: Just shy of medium bodied with slightly less than moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly watery.

O: I think this beer could have been much better with the presence of a strong citrus hop flavor/aromas (possibly lemon or lime). There is some heat to this beer and drinking the entire bottle on your own is a chore - the first few sips are interesting but then it is just tedious. Glad I tried this one (test of one's enjoyment of hot peppers) but I do not think I will be getting another of these - on a side note, I was a little worried that I was becoming immune to pepper heat but this established I can still taste it. (1,496 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

Claims to be the hottest this side of hell.... but I have the Pick of Destiny!

Golden light pale with a little murk and a mirror surface, some bubbles come up in two ovals, which send their bubbles into the same confluent strip, giving this a hard dick and balls look.

Smells like somebody took some beautifully ripened chili's, I get some poblano mostly and cooked it over a gas grill, nice and aritificial. Some bits of chicken broth.

Really expecting this to taste like piss. Let's see...

Not quite like the piss I've had in the past. I initially get a sweetness of grain and maybe marshmallow cream. Then comes the onslaught of demons from the bowels of the deep. Earthy and robust with fiery wrath the peppers charge onto the playfield of my tight, wet, warm mouth. Mmmm, my mouth.... Then I pretty much just feel like some black, no wait, maybe green, toasted green peppercorns just rolled over my mouth with cold mashed potatoes. The appeal is undeniable. It's hard to imagine a better flavor for the style. (2.5)

Mouthfeel is like a porcupine dick: thin and prickly, and stabs fast like the first few minutes of a Peter North performance. Then my mouth is simply left drenched and dripping wet. My wife likes the way it feels in my mouth.

Overall this is the best chili beer probably ever, second only to the mis-categorized Budweiser Chelada (original, not light). (1,382 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -15.9%

I can always count on Mike (AgentZero) to hook it up, and this was no exception. Served in a Bell's tulip.

A - Quick-dissolving white foam settles to a very thing ring of bubbles, with only a few cirrus-esque wisps on the surface of the beer. No lace. The body was a lightly hazed pale orange color.

S - Reminds me of Great Dane Tri-Pepper Pilsner, but with less malt and more spice. Just a ton of chili peppers, ranging from green bell peppers to habaneros. There's a faint touch of malt, but this is pretty much all peppers. Inhaling too much made my eyes water.

T - Tastes like burning. I can't discern any actual flavors beyond the peppery spice that assaults my senses.

M - It burns - not sure if that's zesty carbonation or barbaric chili heat. My lips tingled for quite a while after taking sip. Body is light.

D - 12oz bottle was split 5 ways, an no one was successful in finishing his or her pour. Ended up making a wonderful cuvée when blended with infected Shorts PB & J. I had horrendous reflux for the rest of the night and into the early morning. Avoid unless you are a masochist. (1,100 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -16.2%

A - Pours a light blond color with one finger head.

S - Holy cow! Watch out. Peppers, peppers, and more peppers!

T - Holy shit this beer is hot! Blast of jalapeno, serrano, and the infamous ghost pepper. Burns your esophagus as it goes down!

M - Thin to medium and hot, hot, hot!

O - Interesting beer to try once. I split this 12oz. beer three ways with two buddies and not one of us could finish it. Was not even a bit pleasurable drinking it. Had to chase it with another beer. Just crazy hot and I enjoy my share of spice and kick. This beer was fun but...C'mon man! (573 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1

I poured this into my Sam Adams perfect pint. It has a nice orange/amber coloring. The head sizzled as it dissipated, leaving no lacing. You heard that right: SIZZLED! And, yes, that was pretty damn cool.

It smells like fresh hot peppers: habanero and so on. Read the label, and you'll see just how much heat these nutbags put into this beer.

Taste follows the smell. It's all hot peppers, like you bit into them fresh at the marketplace.

Mouthfeel is the worst. My lips and tongue and throat are a burning hellfire. What were these nutbags thinking?! Was this beer meant as a Man Vs. Food challenge? "Hey, Adam Richman, drink this in less than 30 minutes."

I poured this out after several sips. It is somewhat tasty, but it's impossible to enjoy due to the immense heat. Good luck, if you dare attempt to drink it. (822 characters)

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company