1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Ghost Face Killah - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Ghost Face KillahGhost Face Killah

Twisted Pine Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-11-2011)
4.43/5  rDev +46.2%

Edit 2 days later ok I did happy hour again (why not it's Friday) this beer is delicious, smells and drinks like a malty blonde ale with a nice throat burn. Honestly, Capones wings are hotter, and the horse radish I had few years ago at a beef and beer actually made my eyes water and was incredible. What I'm trying to say is this beer's real good, but I would consider it mild. Now I gotta try the ghost scorpion.

enjoyed with $.25 happy hour hot wings at Capones Norristown. delicious and different, hot and spicy. loved it. what else do you need to say?

the only thing is i had this after 36 oz Port Hop 15 draught, one helluva palate wrecker (sorry green flash, your wrecker stinks) so im not sure i even got the full effect. have to try this again first with the wings.

fresh hop 15? some beers are so much better than the rest.

B33R501, Aug 10, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +44.6%

I'm giving this beer such good ratings for it's style. I've had other chili beers and this one tops the chart.

appearance - hazy yellow orange, simple but pretty. no head whatsoever

smell - chili, pepper, hot (not from alcohol), a little onion (maybe i just relate the two)

taste - the same, spicy lil guy but not overwhelming so, interesting one to pair up chips and salsa with this guy, or burritos, enchiladas, tamales, oh the options...interesting

mouthfeel - sort of obvious from the taste

claytong, May 31, 2011

Ristaccia, Mar 22, 2013

djre4orm, Jun 13, 2013

Twig2848, Dec 30, 2012
4.23/5  rDev +39.6%

Golden yellow body, slightly cloudy, with a huge white head on the initial pour, but after letting it settle in the pint glass, the head quickly dissipated with the top-off pour until there is virtually no head (common with chili beers; my understanding is it's due to the chili oils). Very strong chili and pepper aroma. Burning chili taste dominates the flavor; hot and long lasting. Oily, medium body.

This is the hottest chili beer I've tasted to date. Since I like the heat (and would love to have this while eating some hot buffalo wings!), it gets an decent overall score. Too bad there is no real head per se. I've had some tasty chili beers that manage to get a semblance of a beer head, but my take on the style is chili beer should have some heat and kick. In this case, this beer definitely has it.

beergoot, Aug 09, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +39.3%

Appearance - color is a light copper to gold, hardly any head. Could be my brain but I think there's a hint of red in the coloring.

Smell - sweet and hot peppers hits the nose, not much else getting through

Taste - all heat. It hits your tounge, the top of your mouth, then down your throat. This is where this beer diverges from Billy's Chili's, the heat is more intense, and lasts longer.

Mouthfeel - lightly carbonated, hot and spicy

Overall - I'll say what I said about Billy's Chili's, I enjoyed this beer, but not more than one at a time and not every day, but goes well with mexican or other spicy food, it's a nice change of pace, but if you don't like spicy food or hot peppers, than this isn't going to change your mind. Very similiar to Twisted Pine's other chiliy beer, just a more intense and longer lasting heat.

tripelhops, Jun 15, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +38.6%

After sharing a bottle of this one with schmittymack and my wife at the brewery late yesterday morning (after the burn in my nose had subsided), I decided to drink a bottle last night. Like Dan mentioned, glad I have more.

Poured a light straw color with a very smallish white head. This beer is essentially Billies Chiles, "dry-hopped" with ghost chiles. Nice smokey aromas, roasted hatch chiles and light straw. On the palate, this one is very light and drinkable, with flavors of smoke, fresh chiles and roasted hatch chiles, with some slowly building heat on the back of the throat. Not nearly as hot as I was led to believe, but a very well balanced and drinkable chili beer.

emmasdad, May 06, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +38%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

$4.50 for the 12oz single, served in a pint glass
No ABV indicated on the bottle
Sampled 06JAN13

[A] An average pour yields a pale, golden-orange body, clear with just a touch of haze, and a full finger of fizzy head. Bright white and short lived. After fading the surface is entirely still, but visible carbonation shows a little bit of life. No lacing.

[S] Capsicum of all kinds. Green, orange, red, fresh, charred, seedy and fleshy. The nose is literally 'pepper' in every way imaginable. Other than that, pretty straightforward.

[T] The front end of the palate actually has a touch of sweetness. And the first wave of heat is very soft and approachable. Then, the intensity heightens after the swallow, but it never becomes extreme. It is impossible to say for sure, but the base beer seems pretty darn solid. It works as a great canvas for the layers and layers of pepper and heat. I'm digging this.

[M] The mouthfeel is surprisingly complete. Medium full and chewier than expected. My saliva starts to thicken on the second half of the bottle.

[O] I bought this bottle for the novelty of it, honestly. But I will say this: Ghostface Killah is actually a very good beer - and even better when considering the style. Sure, it's for those with an affinity for heat, but those who crave a little fire will not find it to be over the top. I finished the bottle no problem.

FeDUBBELFIST, Feb 03, 2013
4.15/5  rDev +37%

This is one hell of a unique beer. I know it's basically a novelty, but it's a novelty that I'm a big fan of. The heat hits you pretty much immediately, and over-powers any other flavors that the beer may have. Then your lips start to burn and turn reddish purple. You can feel the endorphins as your taste buds process the weirdness of a cool refreshing liquid that tastes like Satan's piss. But as you get to the end, you start appreciating the amazing taste of the peppers. There's a very smokey and unique flavor to the ghost chilli; a flavor I've become addicted to. Once you get over the initial shock, this beer tastes amazing.

I fear for the morning. Just once in my life I would love to down a six pack of this stuff just to be an idiot.

abriggs1, Sep 07, 2012
4.15/5  rDev +37%

So this is my first pepper beer, i have always avoided them because of the stories, and ed's cave was all that i ever saw, but this i had to try.

Looks wise it's just a dark burnt golden color with a bit of bubbles migrating around like plate tectonics before collapsing into the body, but even while looking at it the nose hits you.
This nose is awesome, all you get are peppers, but i was so dumbfounded i could not help but just keep smelling it many times before sipping it, i couldn't have imagined a beer like this, so odd in a good way.
The flavors are likewise, not a componant of spicy but flavor wise there is a ton of chopped bell pepper flavor in here, grilled and tossed in it tastes like, with bogus amounts of heat piled on. There was so much heat/acidity that i started feeling a bit of acid reflux in my esophagus, with tingling on my lips, unreal.
This one was made light so the pepper shines out, im sure without the heat this beer would be bland, but this is a chili beer, you wouldn't drink it if you didn't want spicy, and as such i think it is awesome.
Melted my mind.

ChadQuest, Jun 13, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +36.3%

In line darkness eve nice color decent retention
Smell is straight pepper heat and all.
Taste is actually drinkable if you like to melt face
Mouthfeel thin but any way you don't gulp this
Overall Prolly the best chili beer.
Thanks goes to who ever killed the bottle in my glass.

sliverX, Oct 22, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +35.3%

Split with angrybabboon. Thanks to injuredreserve for the bottle.

Appearance: Slightly hazed dark gold. No head to speak of. It just sits there all nonchalant and menacing. Slight haze. No visible carbonation.

Smell: Loads of vegetal peppers. Biting spiciness pulls through, curling the nose hairs. Light smokiness that reminds me of chipotles...for obvious reasons. Very mellow in terms of malts. It's all heat and peppers. Aggressive but not overpowering. Nice depth of peppers running from smoky to straight spicy and back down to fresh non-spicy peppers.

Taste: Hey, it's spicy. Building heat climaxes in something that I can only describe as tasting like burning. Loads of real pepper flavor. Crazy depth of vegetal flavors. Mildly smoky with a lingering punch. Malts are almost non-existent and wouldn't help if they were. It's unrelenting spiciness that builds with each sip. Love that ghost chili flavor.

Mouthfeel: I can't feel a thing, but my mouth is numb. Burnt lips. Body is light with a moderate carbonation. Drinks smooth and hot.

Overall: Hiccups I can feel the molten gold pour down my insides. It's coating my organs, turning me in to some sort of magma beast. I will be reborn of the inferno. Infused with the righteous fires of determination. I perservere and dominate. I am the molten god.

Goblinmunkey7, Jun 01, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +34.7%

A- Pours a hazy orange color, produces no head and no lacing.

S- Fuck, it smells just like liquid fire, chilies and more chilies.

T- Massive burst of heat, it actually tastes pretty nice once the heat subsides, has a taco sauce and freshly cut, juicy pepper flavor. There isn't much going on becide chilis, but it's pretty awesome.

M- medium bodied, I can't really tell, the heat sort of obscures the feel, it just feels really hot, has a lingering chili heat.

O- It's pretty much exactly what it says it is, an insanely hot beer, the chilies are actually really tasty though, it's more drinkable than I expected, an awesome chili beer.

WillCarrera, Mar 16, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +33.7%

A: Hazy, golden ale with a grapefruit pink hue. White fizzy, bubbly thin head quickly runs away.

S: Fresh as a garden. Aroma of green vegetables. Spicy as could be.

T: Very light up front, explodes on the back end with a fire ball of flavor.

M: Feels like drinking atomic hot sauce. A lingering burn different than eating hot food, the cold beer makes it much more manageable.

O: More of a wow factor. Not balanced at all but takes the cake for chile beers. Highly recommended for one time, grab a buddy to share.

One2Remeber, Mar 16, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +33%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to MbpBugeye for sharing this bottle. This was one of the rare instances where a 12oz bottle made it around a 15 person tasting and there was still a few oz left behind. I manned up and took almost 2oz, which, for this beer, is plenty (at least unless it is the only thing you intend to taste the rest of the day).

A - Really light yellow color. Very clear. Minute white head.

S - Smells of jalapeno (which I describe is mildly spicy chile and green pepper), onion peels, and hot red chiles.

T - Very spicy. It;s a heat the builds (and builds quickly), but is excellent for what the beer's aim is. I really enjoy spicy food, so I was enjoying Ghost Face Killah, but I can easily see where this would become overwhelming for the average person.

M - Sticky, almost slimy with long linger bitterness (and chile burn).

O - As far as "chile beers" go, this has got to be one of the best. A fun tick at the very least.

Spider889, Dec 29, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +33%

Review 666... Thanks to many for these bottles. 12oz into taster glass, split among friends.

A- Pale bright gold, fizzy head fades quickly.

S- Intense chile and smoke. Liquid fire. Strong chile oil.

T- Great green pepper taste, like fresh jalapenos. Then comes the heat wave. holy moley, this is hot. A warmness coats the mouth, and slowly builds and moves down the throat. Hot. As. Hell. Really nails the chile flavor though, it's not just heat.

M- Quite literally, I feel like Homer eating the Merciless Pepper of Quetzalacatenango. By far the hottest beer I've ever had.

O- Enjoyable in very small quantities. I drank maaaybe 1/5 of a bottle, it made its way around to a lot of people. A great chile beer, although it's too hot for me to enjoy more than a few sips of.

#666