Ghost Face Killah - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Twisted Pine Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-11-2011)

Kirby, Apr 13, 2012

Bilco, Jun 02, 2012

JohnK17, Aug 08, 2012

Pours a pale, clear, gold/yellow with almost zero head.

Smell is of fresh chilies, and honestly, it is the best thing about this beer. I'd compare it to what you get from walking through a summer garden in bloom, or the aroma that permeates the air when you are making fresh salsa. Really nice.

Fresh chilis carry through to the palate, with a nice, slow, intense burn coming through on the end. Extremely long finish. It's intense, and it is as hot as advertised, but I like it. And yes, I am sweating. This beer is hot. It is pretty much one note, but it is a good one note. If they set out to make an extremely spicy beer that is still pretty drinkable, they succeeded.

Medium bodied, pretty clean and crisp.

Overall, I very much enjoyed it. It goes without saying that I won't be drinking a half dozen of these on a hot day, but as far as the style goes, I think they nailed it.

JCDenver, Jun 24, 2011

EROCK75, Nov 14, 2011

MarkyMOD, Aug 23, 2012

oriolesfan4, Apr 09, 2014

wagenvolks, May 31, 2012

Was pre-gaming whilst waiting for guests to arrive for what turned out to be an epic rager. My brother dared me to chug this, so I transferred the liquid from bottle to nonic style glass and proceeded to slam this beer, hard. It set my insides ablaze. Loved it.

afsdan, May 22, 2014

tsauce2, Oct 28, 2013

RWNewhouse, Apr 14, 2012

imperialking, Dec 08, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +31.4%

BIG thanks to antlerwrestler19 for hooking me up with this one from his recent LIF! Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass, with a glass of milk on the side.

Pours like many other chiles beers that I've sampled - a sort of hazy, silent red gold with a short lived half finger of head that amounts to really no lacing at all.

Obvious pepper qualities in the aroma. Not that basic vegetable profile that you find from other beers of this style. There's obvious heat that showcases that signature BBQ type burn that the ghost chile is known for. There are some subtle malt bits used to support the bite of the peppers.

Up front, it drinks like a lemony, light lager. The thin body makes it reminiscent of an easy drinking wheat or something. But just a few seconds after that first taste you get a big wave of heat. The ghost pepper doesn't dominate the same way in this regard. It's a tasty balance of the serrano/jalapeno against the habanero. The anaheim and fresno flavors are (unsurprisingly) lost in the heat of the bigger players. I wish there was a bit more of that ghost pepper bite that I have come to really love. But there is still plenty of heat here to satisfy.

Overall, this is the best beer I've had from the style. It's nothing to look at, but the tastes and aromas that it produces represent everything I look for in an aggressive chile beer.

My guess is that the lower ratings come from those certain vagina babies that just can't hang with the heat.

If you like chiles, this is a must-try.

yamar68, Jul 14, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +31.4%

This beer doesn't get the credit it deserves.

If a complex beer shreds your taste buds with bitter hops, it's lofted into the heavens. If it shreds your taste buds with peppers, it's denounced as a novelty. Well, forget your standards! Drink this beer for what it is.

Ghost Face Killah pours a hazy gold with a fizzy head that fades fast to nearly nothing. I almost rated it sub-2, but the faint trail of bubbles sprouting mid-beer made it look like a foreboding elixir. It makes you nervous before you even know what's inside.

Its smell is a complex mix of dull warming peppers and sharp, spicy and slightly sweet chile pepper oil. There's also a little wheat. Unlike any beer I've ever smelled.

And the taste. Oh man. For a split second it's full and warming, with another hint of wheat. Then the fireworks start and never end. A hot blend of spice smack you straight in the face. Your lips chap and your throat chafes a little. Is that a bead of sweat on my brow?

Overall the blend is very hot, somewhat sweet and incredibly unique -- even by chile beer standards. Rating it by traditional means is almost unfair, as this is less of a beer than a face-singeing culinary experience.

Dmart1223, Jul 14, 2013
3.98/5  rDev +31.4%

Cracking open the bottle I get strong chilies (just cracking open the cap). It pours an innocent looking light amber, but the head disintegrates quickly. A big whiff of the nose lets you know you're in for trouble...an the taste is instant heartburn. Upfront fresh picked chilies... it's really remarkable how pungent it is. I did not expect this much heat from a beer, maybe I should have chilled it first! The mouthfeel is intensely hot with a subtle smokiness in the aftertaste followed by damage control mouth watering...a small sip is enough.
Totally worth trying if you want to 1) trick a friend 2) poop your pants 3) or pair a beer with indian food...real indian food.
It lived up to the hype about it being the most intense chili beer available, but it's almost completely undrinkable.

ThePorterSorter, May 12, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +30.4%

Thanks to Boatshoes for this bottle. I received this along side Billy's Chilies, which I thought was pretty interesting and quite good. I've been excited for this one. I put on "Fishscale" by Ghostface Killah for the occasion. Let's try the ramped up version.

Appearance
As Tony Starks takes me deep into the 36 chambers of Wu, I pour the beer into a Mikkeller wine-style glass. GFK is lot like Billy's, not much to look at. A short, white head fades quickly with barely a trace. At least Ghost Face has nice clarity and great color, a rich amber.

Aroma
Much like Billy's this one is extremely vegetal on the nose. Fresh cut peppers are coming through very strongly but there is a smell of steamed peas and lima beans. The peas somehow overpower the chili peppers. There is almost nothing in the way of malts and hops.

Taste
WOAH, like a ton of bricks the jalokia peppers decimate the palate. The heat is apparent right away, but once you swallow you don't know what hit you. Its intense, piquant, persistent and...AWESOME. But this heat isn't really much of a flavor, although it does carry a really nice red pepper calling card. In actuality the flavors are minimal, it really just tastes like some bogus lager-like creation that got all messed up and turned all vegetal. The aftertaste is quite the spectacle though. Curry, jerk, crush and dried red peppers. Niiice.

Mouthfeel
Here's where I count out the rest of the heat these peppers dole out. Simply put, this is THE hottest, most chili-forward beer out there. It HAS to be. My lips are burning, my tongue is burning and my throat is really burning all the way down into my chest. Take care with this one, I'd hate to get it in my eyes.
The beer is low carbonated, medium bodied and slick. Its kinda gross if it weren't for the heat.

Overall
Amazing. I have very little experience with the Ghost Chili, but this actually has me even more scared of it. If Jolokia can transfer this much pepper heat into a beer, the real thing must be deadly.

MbpBugeye, May 26, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this at the release today, 5 May 11. Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into a small taster glass at the brewery. Poured a light, straw-like color with a small head and very little lacing. Aroma of sweeter malt, wheat, and chiles. Had to laugh when Dan tried to inhale too much to get the aroma and got a noseful of it--heat definitely got to him! Taste was pretty good: malt, a little wheat bread or biscut, and heat/chile. Mouthfeel was decent: less heat than I was expecting, though definitely hotter than any other chile beer I'd had prior to this one. Not too bad at all; glad I have more than one bottle left.

EDIT: After having a full bottle last night, I'd have to say that this is a tasty brew and have changed my rating a bit.

Schmittymack, May 06, 2011