Ghost Face Killah - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Todd on 01-11-2011

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.
3.4/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

i know what they say about this one, but i can get behind it. it pours an unassuming lazy light amber color with a small white head. nothinig special right? wrong. "hey benny, try this brew" okay, ill try it. BOOM whoa, this is straight fire. nothing but a deep habanero burn all the way down the throat. reports from my housemates indicate that its hot on both ends as well, oh jeez. cant taste much but the heat at first, but underneath it i can tell lies a beer that is actually pretty good, some malt to it, and even some hops (i can just tell). the peppers basically ruin your night of beer drinking, better save the russian river sours for another day because you wont taste them. feel of this beer is brutal, because it destroys all sensation in the mouth and throat, and actually hurts a little. overall i respect it for what it is, but i will never touch this to my lips again. my roomate however drank a whole one, and claimed to like it, so to each his own i guess...

3.84/5  rDev +23.5%

Thanks Ryan!

I drank Cave Creek not too long ago and was moderately impressed... not by its light lager character but by the flavor and the heat. GFK takes shit to an entirely different level. It's not beer, or at least the base beer is no different from "yellow fizzy" types.

But that should be disregarded. An excellent blend of what I suppose could be called aroma chillies and taste chillies... smells like it would sting and it does sting. Smells green and crushed red at the same time, call it complex. Extreme heat in the taste that lingers for a while even on my punished-on-a-daily-basis palate.

Whatever it is, it was great in small quantities (I drank my share of the bottle and then some more for the record).

3, 4, 4, 3, 4

3.8/5  rDev +22.2%

Thanks to Rudzud for sharing.

Very light fizzy head hazy honey color.

Nose smells like pure hot peppers, light malty ale, capcasin, pepper flesh.

Quite hot, lots of spice and hot pepper, very nice pepper flavor, mostly hot on the throat, light malty ale, heat hits hit at first but doesn't linger too long, light earthy quality, nice great that really hits you but doesn't destroy. Finish long heat and nice pepper flavor, light sweet sticky malt.

Mouth is med bodied but feels slightly thin as there isn't much base over the pepper, quite hot of hot peppers.

Overall pretty nice, good heat that doesn't overpower, quite hot, nice pepper flavor too.

3.8/5  rDev +22.2%

2oz into a pint glass
A- Straw yellow, no head
S- All chilis, spicy
T- Very spicy, smoked peppers
M- Thin, painful
O- Probably the best chili beer I have had, that said, I don't dig chili beers, if you are into them its surely worth a shot, I would probably try it again.

3.41/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for this beer... I think

Appearance: Pours a hazy dark gold color - started with a minimal white head, faded nearly instantly - some mild carbonation, but it does look pretty flat - I'm having some flashbacks to Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer

Smell: A bit scary at first, but actually not awful - tons of chiles everywhere - to start, it's like sticking your nose into a jar of red pepper flakes - vegetal, but not disgustingly so, more dry than salsa-like - just smells like chilis, no malts to be found, really doesn't smell like beer

Taste: Sweet mother of Satan - this is hot - as in, I took one sip and I am hiccuping uncontrollably - But I must admit, it doesn't taste awful - it actually tastes like a good hot sauce - not a face-melting heat, but it is very hot - some spicy hot sauce flavor at the tip of the tongue, along with some decent lager flavors - like, pale malts, unexpectedly sweet - but seconds later, the heat brutally dropkicks you in the throat - I am sweating, hiccuping, and my nose is running - tastes like burning, not like beer

Mouthfeel: Medium body, adequate carbonation, but the whole throat-punching part doesn't win it any bonus points

Overall: Dear butthole, it's been nice knowing you

It's hard for me to even comment on this beer. It's tasty. I would love to use this at a hot sauce. And by that, I mean I would love to sprinkle A FEW DROPS on some meals. This is liquid sadomasochism. It's good for what it is, but I will have nightmares.

4.12/5  rDev +32.5%

Split with angrybabboon. Thanks to injuredreserve for the bottle.

Appearance: Slightly hazed dark gold. No head to speak of. It just sits there all nonchalant and menacing. Slight haze. No visible carbonation.

Smell: Loads of vegetal peppers. Biting spiciness pulls through, curling the nose hairs. Light smokiness that reminds me of chipotles...for obvious reasons. Very mellow in terms of malts. It's all heat and peppers. Aggressive but not overpowering. Nice depth of peppers running from smoky to straight spicy and back down to fresh non-spicy peppers.

Taste: Hey, it's spicy. Building heat climaxes in something that I can only describe as tasting like burning. Loads of real pepper flavor. Crazy depth of vegetal flavors. Mildly smoky with a lingering punch. Malts are almost non-existent and wouldn't help if they were. It's unrelenting spiciness that builds with each sip. Love that ghost chili flavor.

Mouthfeel: I can't feel a thing, but my mouth is numb. Burnt lips. Body is light with a moderate carbonation. Drinks smooth and hot.

Overall: Hiccups I can feel the molten gold pour down my insides. It's coating my organs, turning me in to some sort of magma beast. I will be reborn of the inferno. Infused with the righteous fires of determination. I perservere and dominate. I am the molten god.

3.99/5  rDev +28.3%

Cracking open the bottle I get strong chilies (just cracking open the cap). It pours an innocent looking light amber, but the head disintegrates quickly. A big whiff of the nose lets you know you're in for trouble...an the taste is instant heartburn. Upfront fresh picked chilies... it's really remarkable how pungent it is. I did not expect this much heat from a beer, maybe I should have chilled it first! The mouthfeel is intensely hot with a subtle smokiness in the aftertaste followed by damage control mouth watering...a small sip is enough.
Totally worth trying if you want to 1) trick a friend 2) poop your pants 3) or pair a beer with indian food...real indian food.
It lived up to the hype about it being the most intense chili beer available, but it's almost completely undrinkable.

2.92/5  rDev -6.1%

Another beer shared by Rhettroactive the other night. It poured a light golden color with a thin white head sticking to edges of the glass.

In the aroma I get a lot of vegetable like pepper qualities to it. It's got a little heat, but not that telling as to how hot it's going to be. Pretty much smells like a hot pepper. The aroma actually showed off the peppers fairly well.

The heat is pretty intense in the taste. It's definitely the hottest thing I've ever drank. A little of the pepper flavor is detectable, but otherwise it just tastes like burning.

The mouthfeel is this with carbonation being on the lower side. Overall, they definitely succeeded at making a hot as hell beer. As a chili beer, it was a cool novelty to share with friends and get some laughs from. As a beer though, it's about as drinkable as hot pepper juice is.

3.1/5  rDev -0.3%

From 12oz bottle to Devil's Backbone glass on 5/5/12
*From notes

A: Like an unfiltered pale lager. A firm pour yields no sign of a head, zero lacing and no real collar.

S: Just put a bottle of hot sauce up your nose. It's not so much hot as it is peppery. It's like you can literally smell the crushed pepper flakes.

T: All heat from beginning to end. It's lacking any semblance of balance. Malt? Hops? Forgetaboutit! It's spicy, like drinking a shot of hot sauce. I've had hotter (not beer mind you), but this is certainly some caliente shit.

M: Bubbly enough. Jesus...the heat is really setting in.

O: Look, if you want a chile beer, this is your solution. I've never had a beer this hot, and I knew I wasn't just being a pussy when one my buddies started to hiccup from the heat. I'm not giving this a four overall for anything other then what it set out to do: scald your palate.

And if nothing else, I haven't had such fun cracking a beer in a long, long time. Sharing this insane concoction and the hearty laughs that came with it with my tasting group won't soon be forgotten.

3.84/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Acquired via trade
Thanks, quirkzoo!

Clear dark straw yellow with a small near-white head that doesn't leave much stick to the glass.

The aroma, as expected, is filled with big, expressive spicy chile character. This smells like I hoped it would. The aroma prepares you for what comes next. You know this is going to be hot.

The flavor follows the aroma, with huge spicy elements washing over the mouth and down the throat, leaving the mouth briefly aflame. That being said, the spicy doesn't last for as long as feared, and is actually quite pleasant. That being said, the flavor is somewhat simple: it's spicy!

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

This beer was exactly what I was hoping it would be: intensely spicy, yet actually enjoyable. I split the bottle between 6 or so brave beer drinkers, but I happily finished my 2+ oz. pour.

2.42/5  rDev -22.2%

This review will be very simple, because let's face it, if you know what are you are opening, you know what you are getting into.

Doesn't pour very much head. I only took a few ounces of this one. Color is a hazed pale yellow.

Aroma/Taste: Massive amounts of hot peppers. Pretty much the only thing you can taste is peppers and lots of them.

Mouthfeel: Burning. Lots of burning. Hard to leave this in your mouth very long because it is so hot.

Overall, it really isn't enjoyable because of how hot it is. I love peppers, but there was too much in this beer to make the beer drinkable. Definitely a novelty beer.

3.32/5  rDev +6.8%

12 oz twist off.

It pours a slightly hazy gold with a fizzy white head that recedes with no lacing.

The smell is nice, I guess quintessential for a CHILE BEER. Nice fresh pepper aromas. Lots of Jalepeno and Anaheim with spicy hints of habrenero. It even has a dried characteristic, not sure how many of the peppers in here were fresh or dried. It doesn't really make you sneeze or anything. Not much hops or malt in the smell.

The flavor is mildly malty but mostly dominated by peppery heat. It isn't mindblowingly hot but pretty blunt, mainly just hot. There is some pepper flavor but it isn't savory nor sweet, just vegetal. I think maybe adding some smoked malts and salt or a good bit of malt it might have more character. But it does highlight the heat aspect.

The mouthfeel is medium carbonated with a spicy aftertaste.

Overall not bad with a great smell but the flavor could be better.

1.74/5  rDev -44.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a Dogfish head Signature Glass.

Color: Cloudy yellow with a white head.

Smell: PEPPERS! Habenero and green peppers.

Taste: Peppers again. Slight burn. OIL.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, oily, medium coarse and a light dryness on the palate.

Overall: Like drinking pepper juice. I detect no beer aspects in the aroma or taste. It was cool to try it for the novelty. That is really about it. Cheers.

3.34/5  rDev +7.4%

Thanks to jmgrub for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a clear yellow with a foamy tan head that fades to nothing. No lacing on this one. Smell is all about the different peppers used but overall the aromas are pretty tame and quite nice actually. Taste is nothing but incredibly hot pepper flavors with an intense heat that burns the lips, mouth, and throat with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is definitely a novelty beer and I am pretty sure nobody would realistically go for an entire bottle themselves. Quite interesting but a grueling experience to sample.

3.74/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: hazy orange body with no head.

S: lots of chili and peppercorn. Habaneros, Hot sauce.

T: Pretty ridiculous. Its like having 2 parts hot sauce, one part water. This burn lingers for a long while. Might as well stop any beer tasting you may be a part of for a while after this one. But actually, the flavor is excellent.

M: no idea. It just burns.

Overall: a must try and a must share. Perhaps 4 oz bottles would be better.

3.14/5  rDev +1%

Had at a chili beer tasting including Hunahpu's, Mexican Cake, Chocolate Sombrero, Theobroma, and Cocoa Mole.

This pours pale yellow with no head. Looks like Bud Light. On the nose this is hot. There is no other aroma. In the mouth it is hot. There is no other taste. The body is medium and fucking hot. The finish lasts forever and it's hot. My stomach was upset from this for a few hours after.

Overall, I struggled with rating this beer. But it's exactly what it intends to be. This is the logical conclusion of the chili beer. As a pal said, it's "like giving Satan a rimjob." Brutality. Would have again for sure. We drew short pretzels to see who had to kill the 6 oz left in the bottle and overall drinking this beer was probably the most fun single beer at a tasting. That has to count for something.

2.84/5  rDev -8.7%

Appearance: Poured a hazy orange with little to no head at all.

Smell: The aroma was roasted peppers. And more peppers.

Taste: Really wasn't much flavor. Your lips are immediately hit with fire. Then your throat catches on fire. DEEP BURN!

Mouthfeel: A bit on the thin side. Carbonation was low.

Overall: For a novelty beer it did what it promised. Burned. I can't really knock it because it didn't really promise anything other than that. My expectations were met. I personally didn't enjoy it but for the novelty aspect it was great! For the beer flavor aspect? Not so much.

3.62/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Slightly cloudy, light brown hue with a thin, thin head; lacing is good

S: Well, that's a lot of peppers--but woody, smokey, complex array of peppers; herbal, vegetal, earthy, spicy; this smells hot as hell and I have to admit that I am intimidated even though I love spicy foods; but really this smells pretty good and I'm ready to go

T: Yes, that is spicy but a good slow, smokey burn; of course, the peppers are the show here and very little else is discernible but this is a chilli beer and it's tasty

F: A touch thin up front but the oily, sticky pepper residue gives this a nice feel in the finish

O: I like this beer; the pepper variety adds complexity and though this isn't a normal, go-to beer, it's fun and I will definitely be back; I'm not sure why some say it was difficult to get through; yes, it's spicy but I slowed down and am happy to say I made it through the entire bottle; let's do this again, GFK, let's do this again

3.68/5  rDev +18.3%

OK. I sought out this beer so I can only blame myself for this. Pours with no head at all. Zero lacing. Zero retention. Aroma is likelike chili oil. Smells like fresh hot peppers just cut. Tastes like chili sauce. The heat sort of creeps up on you. It is just on the pleasant side of hot sauce. Could go very nicely with some Mexican or Thai food. Mouthfeel is heat. Light dry and hot. It is exactly what I would want from a hot pepper beer. I am using overall as drinkability. Holy crap. More than 2 oz is too much. Its a cool experience and a very unique beer.

4.04/5  rDev +29.9%

A- Pours a hazy orange color, produces no head and no lacing.

S- Fuck, it smells just like liquid fire, chilies and more chilies.

T- Massive burst of heat, it actually tastes pretty nice once the heat subsides, has a taco sauce and freshly cut, juicy pepper flavor. There isn't much going on becide chilis, but it's pretty awesome.

M- medium bodied, I can't really tell, the heat sort of obscures the feel, it just feels really hot, has a lingering chili heat.

O- It's pretty much exactly what it says it is, an insanely hot beer, the chilies are actually really tasty though, it's more drinkable than I expected, an awesome chili beer.

4.06/5  rDev +30.5%

A: Hazy, golden ale with a grapefruit pink hue. White fizzy, bubbly thin head quickly runs away.

S: Fresh as a garden. Aroma of green vegetables. Spicy as could be.

T: Very light up front, explodes on the back end with a fire ball of flavor.

M: Feels like drinking atomic hot sauce. A lingering burn different than eating hot food, the cold beer makes it much more manageable.

O: More of a wow factor. Not balanced at all but takes the cake for chile beers. Highly recommended for one time, grab a buddy to share.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1

A: Hazy yellow pour without much head. Looks like it also has a pretty low amount of carbonation.

S: Smells like peppers and heat. Is this a beer or is it hot sauce??

T: Holy Shit. Ghost peppers. All heat. It starts as beer and then just destroys you with heat.

MF: Light, with actually a nice amount of carbonation. The aftertaste is what kills you.

O: Impressive, but damn, how could anyone drink an entire bottle of this?

2.79/5  rDev -10.3%

Ghost Face Killah pours a golden yellow orange color with a white head.

The aroma of this beer is intense and is a warning to anyone who is bold enough to drink it. The intense peppers and spice are like a kick in the face and are almost enough to burn the nostrils.

From the first sip this beer burns, and it burns all the way down the throat, and it continues to burn for a few minutes after each taste. It burns so much that you can hardly taste anythings else.

Not sure why anyone would drink this beer unless it is on some sort of a dare. I could not make it through a bottle and would only use it for cooking. The beer is just too spicy to to drink and you can not taste anything in the beer other than fire.

3.72/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a slightly orangish yellow with a slight haze. some white head that lasted a short bit.

smells like peppers, i mean really. this smells like hot peppers, bell peppers, and heat. can't knock it as it smells like what it is, hot peppers.

somewhere is a faint hint of malt BUT this is all peppers, loads of heat through out. not much else to describe here. its just hot.

burning, tastes like burning. lips, tongue, gums, all numb after a few sips. burning sensation means short small sips.

i dug it, its not meant to be this big flavorful beer, its meant to be hot as shit, and it is.

1.95/5  rDev -37.3%

Tried this for the novelty and I hate my mouth.

A - Poured out a slightly hazy orange color with a small, short-lived white head of foam. It left little to no lacing.

S - Smelled fire-y hot with the aroma of peppers. Not much else.

T - Wow! It burns. It just burns. I could only taste pepper in liquid form.

M - I think it was crisp and sharp, but not really sure. It makes your lips hurt.

O - I drank it for the experience with a friend. He may not ever drink any beer I ever pour for him. So more for me!

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company