Ghost Face Killah - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Todd on 01-11-2011

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.
3.62/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Slightly cloudy, light brown hue with a thin, thin head; lacing is good

S: Well, that's a lot of peppers--but woody, smokey, complex array of peppers; herbal, vegetal, earthy, spicy; this smells hot as hell and I have to admit that I am intimidated even though I love spicy foods; but really this smells pretty good and I'm ready to go

T: Yes, that is spicy but a good slow, smokey burn; of course, the peppers are the show here and very little else is discernible but this is a chilli beer and it's tasty

F: A touch thin up front but the oily, sticky pepper residue gives this a nice feel in the finish

O: I like this beer; the pepper variety adds complexity and though this isn't a normal, go-to beer, it's fun and I will definitely be back; I'm not sure why some say it was difficult to get through; yes, it's spicy but I slowed down and am happy to say I made it through the entire bottle; let's do this again, GFK, let's do this again

3.65/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a Mason Jar, golden brew with no head, aroma was fresh peppers and not much else. With the first taste your mouth fires up with pepper heat...just like the label implies...it goes on to light up your throat. By the 3rd sip you might think DRAIN POUR...I never have done that and hope never to have to. No lace to be had but the heat get more acceptable as you drink on, you get a little beer taste when you have about 3 drinks left. Overall I think this does what is says on the label, it is a gimmick beer but fun to try. As a true Chili Beer it falls short because you can't really taste the beer but I rated it for the label...it's designed to shock the mouth...which it did.

3.86/5  rDev +24.1%

Appearance -- pours a pale straw hue with a slim fizzy head. Not thrilling.

Smell -- The nose is greeted with an abundance of green chile, woodsmoke, lager yeast fermentation notes, and the faint presence of floral hops. The aroma of chiles was at the forefront and well-presented. Actually, pretty nice if you're looking for fresh chile aroma.

Taste -- Again, the chile presence is at the forefront, largely of Anaheims with a bit of the smoked chiles in the background. There's still enough base beer presence to keep this from being boring: pilsner malt, gentle plum-like fermentation character and floral hops. The heat is strong, certainly, but not overpowering.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall -- While I feel that this is a great showcase for the chiles, I still would not want to drink this on a regular basis, or possibly ever again. Still, I'm glad I tried it.

1.12/5  rDev -64%

A - looks like a lager nothing to talk about there
S - the smell is all hot sauce, I do not get any beer smell
T - to hot, it was amusing to taste as a novelty but there is no need to ever buy another one of these - Just drink some “HOT” hot sauce and you will feel like you had this one
M - burns your mouth slowly
O - this is not a beer for drinking, but maybe it would be good as a base for chili -or- just forget it, it sucks

3.98/5  rDev +28%

BIG thanks to antlerwrestler19 for hooking me up with this one from his recent LIF! Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass, with a glass of milk on the side.

Pours like many other chiles beers that I've sampled - a sort of hazy, silent red gold with a short lived half finger of head that amounts to really no lacing at all.

Obvious pepper qualities in the aroma. Not that basic vegetable profile that you find from other beers of this style. There's obvious heat that showcases that signature BBQ type burn that the ghost chile is known for. There are some subtle malt bits used to support the bite of the peppers.

Up front, it drinks like a lemony, light lager. The thin body makes it reminiscent of an easy drinking wheat or something. But just a few seconds after that first taste you get a big wave of heat. The ghost pepper doesn't dominate the same way in this regard. It's a tasty balance of the serrano/jalapeno against the habanero. The anaheim and fresno flavors are (unsurprisingly) lost in the heat of the bigger players. I wish there was a bit more of that ghost pepper bite that I have come to really love. But there is still plenty of heat here to satisfy.

Overall, this is the best beer I've had from the style. It's nothing to look at, but the tastes and aromas that it produces represent everything I look for in an aggressive chile beer.

My guess is that the lower ratings come from those certain vagina babies that just can't hang with the heat.

If you like chiles, this is a must-try.

3.79/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into fluted snifter; looks like an IPA, golden yellow-orange with a moderate white head that fades quickly, fizzy.
Smells of all chiles. Chipotle, green jalapeno, very crisp vegetal chile scent that is really appetizing. Not much hint of the hotter habanero or ghost peppers in the smell, except for a ghostly twang in the nostril at the very end of a hard, close sniff.
Taste...not nearly as hot as everyone made it out to be. Then again, I love spicy things. Anyways, it starts off with some smooth, slightly sweet corn malt. Your tongue begins to tingle as it explores your mouth. Then on the swallow, it's all pepper. Mostly smoky and that generic "pepper" taste that most chile beers have, along with a hefty dose of spice. But not enough to even cause me discomfort...it reminded me of a very strong ginger beer. Very spicy on the throat and in the nose, but does no lasting damage.
Mouthfeel is thin and slick; the latter quality may be helped by the pepper oils.
Overall, this beer is a novelty. I'm glad I found it and got to try it, but I wouldn't pick it up again. There's no malt backbone at all, so as beer quality goes it's pretty poor. However, I don't think it's meant to be anything but a super-spicy novelty beer, and it achieves that very well. But it's worth picking up once to try, if only to say you did. Don't fear the "ghost pepper;" it's nowhere near as spicy as anything else I've had with ghost chiles.

3.68/5  rDev +18.3%

OK. I sought out this beer so I can only blame myself for this. Pours with no head at all. Zero lacing. Zero retention. Aroma is likelike chili oil. Smells like fresh hot peppers just cut. Tastes like chili sauce. The heat sort of creeps up on you. It is just on the pleasant side of hot sauce. Could go very nicely with some Mexican or Thai food. Mouthfeel is heat. Light dry and hot. It is exactly what I would want from a hot pepper beer. I am using overall as drinkability. Holy crap. More than 2 oz is too much. Its a cool experience and a very unique beer.

1.31/5  rDev -57.9%

Since I like heat in my beer I thought there might be something redeeming about this one. Once I cracked it I realized that the likelihood of this being poured down the drain is high.

Once poured it looks like a severely watered down ice tea. Maybe the only thing about this beer actually that isn't bad is the head which is ok. After the beer settles down it looks like a cider beer.

The smell is horrific. Not really sure how to describe it, and maybe it's best not to try. I'll just leave it as horrific.

The taste, well it's pure burn. Now I'll be the first to say, the beer clearly states that it really hot and I was expecting exactly that. The heat is insane. It's way over the top, so much so that there really isn't any taste, just burn. I think anyone can get a bunch of really hot peppers and home brew something as bad.

Mouth feel, is well, I really can't feel my mouth at the moment. Heat, heat, heat...

Overall, I know it's a gimmick beer but its really bad. I guess if you are someone that likes atomic wings then you would maybe like the novelty of this but it's a really bad beer otherwise. But basically they hit there goal of making the hottest beer ever, but they forgot about taste. Actually, I came back to this review cause hours later I was still thinking how bad this beer tastes. By far the worst beer I ever had.

2.36/5  rDev -24.1%

Got this as an extra. Thanks a lot for this one guy! Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. This was my 2nd time having a pepper/spiced beer so I wasn't sure what to expect.

A: A straw yellow body with a small head that dissipated quickly.

S: Holy shit mang. My nose is burning. Smell is just hot peppers, nothing else. This smells like a 12oz bottle of hot sauce. I'm a bit shook to drink this.

T: The spicy and smokey peppers take complete control over any other flavor in this beer. It's hot sauce water. Just nuts how spicy this brew is, they use 5+ different peppers right?

M: Pretty awful. Burns the mouth and throat and this shit lingers. Get me some water my dude. The spicy aftertaste stayed in my mouth for 20+ minutes and had me coughing, and I was not feeling it. I love my spicy food but this was too much for me honestly.

O: This is a novelty beer, that's it. Just copp it for the label I guess. I could never drink 12oz and couldn't even manage much more than an oz before we decided to drain poor. I suppose if your really into to spicy peppers than this could be your thing but at this point, it's not even beer! Put it on your arroz con pollo. Never re-visiting this one.

3.84/5  rDev +23.5%

Thanks Ryan!

I drank Cave Creek not too long ago and was moderately impressed... not by its light lager character but by the flavor and the heat. GFK takes shit to an entirely different level. It's not beer, or at least the base beer is no different from "yellow fizzy" types.

But that should be disregarded. An excellent blend of what I suppose could be called aroma chillies and taste chillies... smells like it would sting and it does sting. Smells green and crushed red at the same time, call it complex. Extreme heat in the taste that lingers for a while even on my punished-on-a-daily-basis palate.

Whatever it is, it was great in small quantities (I drank my share of the bottle and then some more for the record).

3, 4, 4, 3, 4

3.61/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Notes from 1/28/15

A - One finger of fizzy, white head that quickly dissipates to nothing. Poor lacing and effectively no retention. Deep, clear golden body with plenty of visible carbonation.

S - Raw, vegetal chili pepper (jalapeño), some dried chills (cayenne). Sweet, fruity (apple) maltiness.

T - Sweet fruitiness that I can't nail down because it quickly moves to dry cayenne and earthy, vegetal, smokey spiciness (chipotle in adobo). Finish is linger spiciness that you'd get from a fresh jalepeno, membrane and seeds included. Fruitiness comes through again in the finish but not enough to balance out the burn.

M - MEdium carb. Body is tough to get ahold of because the pepper is tongue swelling hot. Obviously, a spicy, tongue burning finish.

O - Nice interplay between dried and fresh hot peppers. The fruity sweetness (maybe apple juice) balances nicely with the heat. I'm not sure how great the underlying beer is, but its a great, intensely hot beer. If you can handle a fresh jalapeño with seeds and membrane, you can handle and enjoy Ghost Face Killah.

2.97/5  rDev -4.5%

Why does this exist?

When I bought it the staff told me not to do it. I had to try it, aka tick it off.

Pours a reddish hazy gold, very little head even with a vigorous pour.

Smells like hot peppers.

Tastes exactly as it smells, layers of hot peppers with an intense burn at the end.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery, my least favorite part of it, not tons of body nothing backing up the heat.

Overall I feel like they accomplished what they were going for, I have to respect them for that.

I wouldn't have more than one, and I'm sure I'll regret it tomorrow, but I would recommended you try it.

3.14/5  rDev +1%

Had at a chili beer tasting including Hunahpu's, Mexican Cake, Chocolate Sombrero, Theobroma, and Cocoa Mole.

This pours pale yellow with no head. Looks like Bud Light. On the nose this is hot. There is no other aroma. In the mouth it is hot. There is no other taste. The body is medium and fucking hot. The finish lasts forever and it's hot. My stomach was upset from this for a few hours after.

Overall, I struggled with rating this beer. But it's exactly what it intends to be. This is the logical conclusion of the chili beer. As a pal said, it's "like giving Satan a rimjob." Brutality. Would have again for sure. We drew short pretzels to see who had to kill the 6 oz left in the bottle and overall drinking this beer was probably the most fun single beer at a tasting. That has to count for something.

2.33/5  rDev -25.1%

12oz bottle poured into a Stone Old Guardian glass.

A - Pours an unassuming pale yellow, similar to the color of the mass-marketed light beers. Despite the wheat base, this is unmistakably clear, and you can easily see that it is tepid save for the rise of a few bubbles here and there. Only about a half-finger of ghostly white head appears then fades away without fanfare.

S - The smell is a smorgasbord of chili and vegetal matter. Obviously it is predominantly spicy and the habanero and jalapeno are surprisingly easy to pinpoint (although if I were more familiar with the other varieties here, it'd probably be possible to target them as well.) I am getting maybe just the slightest notion of wheat and citrus, but I can't say for sure if it's my imagination or not.

T - This isn't my first beer brewed with chili peppers, so I'm not exactly a stranger to heat in beers, but wow. That's the first thing that comes to my mind when drinking this. I don't even have time to actually swallow my first sip before the heat kicks the door down. While other beers are a bit more subtle about it, the image on the label should tell you what this beer is all about. Any salvation the wheat could promise is swept away with my tastebuds. The positive about this beer is that you can actually taste the peppers, although they sort of blend together rather than being easier to distinguish. But yeah... I hope you like heat because that and some pepper is all you're getting here.

M - Mouthfeel is light-bodied with low carbonation. The mouthfeel is kind of a wash since it's hard to feel much of anything when the heat is simultaneously burning and numbing it. This beer also has some throatfeel and chestfeel. And probably will have some assfeel. None will be good.

D/O - Drinkability is low. This is a beer in which a little goes a long, long way. I've had this glass in front of me for almost 30 minutes and I probably drank maybe 3oz. The heat is intense, but after letting it mellow on the mouth, it gradually fades into a dull heat throb which isn't so bad actually. Honestly, split this because I couldn't imagine drinking a whole bottle of this solo. I am probably going to put the rest back into the glass and cook with it or something.

4.13/5  rDev +32.8%

So this is my first pepper beer, i have always avoided them because of the stories, and ed's cave was all that i ever saw, but this i had to try.

Looks wise it's just a dark burnt golden color with a bit of bubbles migrating around like plate tectonics before collapsing into the body, but even while looking at it the nose hits you.
This nose is awesome, all you get are peppers, but i was so dumbfounded i could not help but just keep smelling it many times before sipping it, i couldn't have imagined a beer like this, so odd in a good way.
The flavors are likewise, not a componant of spicy but flavor wise there is a ton of chopped bell pepper flavor in here, grilled and tossed in it tastes like, with bogus amounts of heat piled on. There was so much heat/acidity that i started feeling a bit of acid reflux in my esophagus, with tingling on my lips, unreal.
This one was made light so the pepper shines out, im sure without the heat this beer would be bland, but this is a chili beer, you wouldn't drink it if you didn't want spicy, and as such i think it is awesome.
Melted my mind.

2.4/5  rDev -22.8%

Pours clear gold with white head. Smells of pretty much nothing but fresh chili peppers. And the taste is also dominated by chili peppers. No other flavor components to speak of. This beer does not burn your tongue, but builds up quite a burn in the back of the throat after a couple sips. Really not sure what the point of making this beer is. Not worth seeking out unless you're attracted to the gimmick factor.

2.96/5  rDev -4.8%

12oz bottle.

A: slightly hazy yellow with a bit of thin white head that quickly fades.

S: peppers. veggie green, serrano and habanero and something else hot – mostly jalapenos

T: not as hot as i expected but pretty good as far as heat is concened. Very little other tastes.

M: light body - hotness overwhelms all other sensations

O: a fun novelty beer, glad to have tried it once but will not seek out again. This is pretty much pepper water, no discernible beer qualities here besides appearance

2.84/5  rDev -8.7%

Appearance: Poured a hazy orange with little to no head at all.

Smell: The aroma was roasted peppers. And more peppers.

Taste: Really wasn't much flavor. Your lips are immediately hit with fire. Then your throat catches on fire. DEEP BURN!

Mouthfeel: A bit on the thin side. Carbonation was low.

Overall: For a novelty beer it did what it promised. Burned. I can't really knock it because it didn't really promise anything other than that. My expectations were met. I personally didn't enjoy it but for the novelty aspect it was great! For the beer flavor aspect? Not so much.

2.79/5  rDev -10.3%

Ghost Face Killah pours a golden yellow orange color with a white head.

The aroma of this beer is intense and is a warning to anyone who is bold enough to drink it. The intense peppers and spice are like a kick in the face and are almost enough to burn the nostrils.

From the first sip this beer burns, and it burns all the way down the throat, and it continues to burn for a few minutes after each taste. It burns so much that you can hardly taste anythings else.

Not sure why anyone would drink this beer unless it is on some sort of a dare. I could not make it through a bottle and would only use it for cooking. The beer is just too spicy to to drink and you can not taste anything in the beer other than fire.

3.36/5  rDev +8%

How could I not try a beer called Ghost Face Killah? I have been craving a chile beer and this one promised to be spicy. I like spicy but just could not finish 12 oz of this based on the heat alone. Not bad, but way too hot to be a go-to beer for me. I might use it as a novelty or give it to my enemies. This beer is simply hot. as. fuck. That is all.

3.64/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed on-tap at the brewery

You aren't drinking more than a few sips; I saw a $4.50 12oz bottle at Bubbles last week and almost pulled the trigger; made with a blend of Ghost Chili; almost a metallic pepper smell on the nose; burns my throat immediately; my good lord that burns; this is the hottest beer (or drink!) I've ever or will ever taste; I almost can't type as I'm taking notes; instantly feel like I'm breathing fire; NOT for the faint of heart, fun experimental beer to share with friends.

2.5/5  rDev -19.6%

to preface this review, I am intimately familiar with the ghost pepper. I have eaten them straight and in lots of varieties of food over the last few years. I cook with them and make my own sauces with them as well.

This one pours a very cloudy pale gold color with a decent white head that settles very quickly leaving no lacing down the glass.

I can definitely smell the pepper in this one though the rest of the nose is rather weak. I can get notes of malt but not much else.

The taste is interesting. There is sweet malt. and the ghost pepper makes it's presence known immediately. the lips really burn as I usually avoid getting the pepper directly on my lips when eating. Believe it or not, that is what burns the most (going in that is ;-). THe taste is sweet malt which goes well with heat. The flavor is overwhelmed by the pepper and really just makes this a novelty beer.

The moutfeel is very watery and somewhat disappointing.

Overall, just not a good beer. Great for a uniqueness and interesting factor, just not enjoyable. I would recommend adding some type of food that is savory to go with it.

3.44/5  rDev +10.6%

Okay, so when I poured this beer into a tulip, something foreboding and frightening occured. The head atop this beer BROILED up furiously, to about 5 fingers (hard pour) and just as it reached the lip, it immediately began simmering back down and settled into nonexistance... wow.

Color is muddy golden orange, with active carbonation if you look close enough. Smells like a wild Belgian yeast that eats way too much Kung Pao. If there were a such thing as a Chile Lambic, that's how it'd smell. You get hints of that funky yeast, smothered in sweet pepper jelly. The taste is... hot. You get hit with a little lager sweetness before the flavor profile instantly bursts into flame. Luckily this is the kinda heat that simmers down quickly, but you WILL feel this beer on your lips and tongue for ahile. Mouthfeel is like a medium lager, almost a high ABV pilsner, mouth-wise. Overall this beer carries it's gimmick with pride, and in all honesty, I am enjoying it, but unfortunately the only thing it really has enough of is heat, and that's not enough to bring me back to a beer over and over.

2.15/5  rDev -30.9%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle served in a pint glass, reviewed live:

A - Pours a nearly transparent straw golden color with almost no discernible head. Lively carbonation. Pretty uninviting.

S - Roasted peppers, fresh peppers and more peppers. It's impossible to distinguish any other aromas. Not really looking forward to this.

T - Bitter and poorly handled peppers dominate. Tastes like the skins from a roasted pepper. Not as spicy as I though it'd be though. Maybe a touch of base malt? Incredibly simple. Balance was thrown out the window.

M - Thin and oily.

D - None, unless eating whole habaneros is your thing. It's definitely not overly spicy, but really doesn't taste very good. Not drinkable at all.

2.89/5  rDev -7.1%

Thanks goes out to Peter (pitasoup) for bringing this bottle to share during our Savor Slam weekend.

Golden yellow beer that is moderately clear, small carbonation bubbles noticeable but nothing for head retention. Aroma is Chile and green bell peppers with onions. Flavor is initially a crisp lager but is immediately decimated by heat. While the heat is pleasantly strong it is all in the back of my mouth and very monotone. Not the best Chile beer out there, but there are many worse ones.

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company