Ghost Face Killah - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Twisted Pine Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-11-2011)
2.15/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.25

Pours golden with very quickly. Smells like a great hot sauce, but not a beer. Very crisp refreshing brew behind the pepper. Crazy hot pepper here and it is just too much. Good grief. I think it is worth trying as a novelty, but I would be impressed with anyone that could put this whole bottle down themselves. I am curious if this would be a good beer for cooking as a marinade. But as is it just burns.

BMMillsy, Nov 23, 2012

jheezee, May 01, 2012
1.97/5  rDev -34.8%

Bottle purchased at Joe Bean Coffee Roasters. I dunno why I did.

Pours a clear yellow, with a little bit of haze, and no head or lacing.

Smells like really hot and vegetal peppers. Smells kind of ok actually, but I can tell this is gonna be rough.

It's rough. Big surprise. Raging, blistering pepper heat, tastes essentially like pepper juice. If I try really hard, I can sort of tell there's a beer underneath. I can't tell if it's an adjunct lager, or a blond ale, or gasoline, it doesn't really matter, it tastes rancid. No balance whatsoever.

It's pretty light bodied, but not even slightly drinkable. There's a medium amount of carbonation, I guess, it's hard to tell anything that's going on.

Stay the hell away from this. Don't even think about it. You've been warned.

GreesyFizeek, Aug 22, 2014

3.5/5  rDev +15.9%

tclapper, Apr 23, 2012

twenty5, Dec 23, 2013
3.98/5  rDev +31.8%

Cracking open the bottle I get strong chilies (just cracking open the cap). It pours an innocent looking light amber, but the head disintegrates quickly. A big whiff of the nose lets you know you're in for trouble...an the taste is instant heartburn. Upfront fresh picked chilies... it's really remarkable how pungent it is. I did not expect this much heat from a beer, maybe I should have chilled it first! The mouthfeel is intensely hot with a subtle smokiness in the aftertaste followed by damage control mouth watering...a small sip is enough.
Totally worth trying if you want to 1) trick a friend 2) poop your pants 3) or pair a beer with indian food...real indian food.
It lived up to the hype about it being the most intense chili beer available, but it's almost completely undrinkable.

ThePorterSorter, May 12, 2012

Chilled bottle into a glass. Opened by alfrantzell, sent by ShogoKawada. Thanks dudes.

A: Pours a clear straw body.

S: Very spicy nose. I am not a chili connoisseur, so I can't pick out which varieties I'm smelling. But it's spicy.

T: To borrow a largadism, this is the chiliest beer I've ever had that wasn't an alfrantzell production. It's incredibly spicy, delivering waves and waves of heat and burn, but in a pleasant way (I like spice). The drawback is that it has no malt, no hop, nothing beer-like. It's firewater.

M: One-dimensional in flavor, but the mouthfeel is pleasant; it leaves a nice, coating burn that promises the Ring of Fire the next day. Good stuff.

O: A very good gimmick beverage. This really doesn't taste like beer, though. I'm glad I tried it, but i wouldn't have it again or recommend it to others unless they're interested in the gimmick itself.

Arbitrator, Jul 04, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -25.5%

Brew33, Jan 22, 2013
3.56/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a deep, murky apple cider color with a fizzy soda-like head that dies quick.

S: A rich, smoky pepper aroma. Chipotle salsa is what came to mind here the most. Definitely doesn't smell like something you want to mess around with.

T: Opens on the mild side- sweet and smooth with mostly honey and grain coming through. Then there's a gradual build of smoky hot fire that kind of just keeps building and building. I've had ghost pepper hot sauce before, and this never comes close to that kind of heat. But as far as beers go, this is by far the hottest I've had. Not a lot of flavor in this beer, but if hot is what you're looking for, pull up a chair.

notchucknorris, Jul 15, 2013
2.95/5  rDev -2.3%

12oz bottle. Pours a clear straw gold with a very small white head that quickly goes the a slight collar.

The aroma is a little sweet malt and chili peppers. It's more subdued than expected.

The flavor is a slight touch of sweet malt quickly dominated by chilis with a big burn at the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with very low carbonation.

Overall, it's a completely one dimensional beer - it's all about the heat and the chilis. But it's definitely the hottest beer I've had. It's not as bad a ghost pepper sauces I've had though.

Beaver13, Jun 10, 2011
2.38/5  rDev -21.2%

A- Pours a clear amber color with just a handful of bubbles for head. Head is gone pretty quick and leaves some nice lacing.

S- Wow quite a bit of peppers jumping out at me. Pretty cool smelling, but not really smelling like a beer either. Different but cool at the same time.

T- Again wow this dude is pretty hot. I'm not really surprised but finding this very odd to drink as a brew. More like drinking a hot sauce than a beer.

M- Medium in body and low carbonation.

O- Pretty cool since it has the ghost chili in it and seeing the guy from Man vs Food almost kill himself eating them. I drink just a bit of this one and my stomach felt it. I'd say this one would be really hard to drink.

nrbw23, Jul 31, 2011

vonnegut21, Sep 13, 2013

Fettpopps, Jul 30, 2014

fredmugs, Oct 28, 2013

dar482, Feb 12, 2014

atone315, Jul 23, 2012
2.83/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A gimmick beer. Better than Eds Cave Creek because the beer part is better. Instead of a lame pepper juice taste, this one provides a full-bore hot pepper experience. If you like this sort of thing, the beer is well crafted. For me, this is too much hot pepper, not enough beer.

Pours a hazy apple cider color with a fizzy white head that dies fast with no lacing. Aroma is rich, pungent hot peppers, not much in the way of beer smell.

Taste is a mild ale until the hot pepper kicks in. The effect is not an undrinkable blast but rather a slow destruction of the taste buds. If you are into this sort of thing, you could call this a slow sipper. As someone looking forward to a Father's Day BBQ after drinking this, I was more concerned about tasting my food later on than finishing this beer.

Mouthfeel is a blast of hot peppers on top of a mild ale.

Overall, for me - a drain pour. For someone that likes this sort of thing, it is worthy of finishing. Not a poorly crafted drink, just not something I would want to experience beyond about a 2-3 oz sample.

JayQue, Jun 16, 2013
1.83/5  rDev -39.4%

Poured from a bottle into a perfect pint

A- pours a straw yellow with a two finger white head that quickly fades away. Bubbles everywhere throughout the beer

S- well...it's a chile beer alright. Very smoky, spicy aroma

T- my mouth is on fire. Literally, on fire. I cannot feel anything at all. Holy crap.

M- light bodied

O- no. No. No. God no.

bigfnjoe, Jul 19, 2012

Reviewing the Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company out of Boulder, Colorado

Score: 40

Unknown vintage bottle served in a 7venth Sun snifter and enjoyed on 08/24/14. Thank you Robbie Moy for the bottle...

Appearance: Pours an opaque, light orange color with a finger of cream-colored head that almost instantaneously settles entirely. No lacing or retention. 3/5

Smell: Fresh jalapenos, chili peppers, salsa, cilantro and a little tropical fruit. It's a bit vegetal, but not bad. The nose gives off the distinct impression that it is going to be pretty spicy. 3/5

Taste: There is not much flavor; just pepper heat. Vegetal chili peppers with a hint of cilantro hit initially, followed by a big spiciness on the front of the tongue that moves up the sides of the tongue before receding back and lingering on the front and top of the tongue. The center of the tongue has a lingering chili pepper flavor. This brew is one note, quite spicy and general unpleasant to drink. I'm sure it has its niche, and heat fiends probably do not find it unpalatable. However, 4 oz was my limit. 1.5/5

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, fizzy carbonation that really accentuates the heat. Spicy with a little bit of tropical fruit-like sweetness. The spiciness is long lasting. If big, lasting chili spiciness is what you want in a beer, this is your ale. 3/5

Overall: A hot, vegetal novelty that got tiresome and unpleasant before I could get halfway down the glass. If you are the kind of person that enjoys dumping a full bottle of Dave's insanity sauce on your food, I recommend you give this brew a whirl. I think I can confidently say that all others can life a happy and fulfilled life without ever having consumed this.

Cost: $3.99 for a 12 oz bottle.

jegross2, Aug 24, 2014

peensteen, Jan 19, 2014
3.15/5  rDev +4.3%

Split this with dogfishandi...

A: Pours a nice cloudy peach, with little to no head. It's deceptive.

S: The nose is sweet malt, hops, peaches, some great pepper and subtle spice. It's too unassuming, which scares me.

T: Nice sweetness up front, a little bit of pepper, and then... BAM!!! MOTHER FUKIN HOT!!! Good lord. It's like licking Satan's butthole. It's hotter than hot. My whole mouth and face are on fire. Damn. It's a novelty for sure. But my goodness. This is brutal. I can't taste anything but hot peppers.

M: Light bodied beer. Hot, Hot, Hot, and then some more hot.

O: I get it. Hot ass beer. And it delivers, but I completely underestimated this beer. It's terribly great.

trxxpaxxs, Jun 30, 2012