Ghost Face Killah - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Twisted Pine Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-11-2011)
2.75/5  rDev -8.3%

PEIhop, Jun 26, 2012

iL0VEbeer, Oct 17, 2012
3.28/5  rDev +9.3%

Bottle opened on 8.6.12.

A - Pours a very light, cloudy orange with a fizzy off-white head that fades quickly.

S - Spicy, hot peppers. Very salsa-like.

T - Hot peppers, fire baby!

D - Ok carbonation with a thin body. A fire in the throat finish.

O - Hot! I love it! Good flavors, but the heat is just crazy!

HuskyinPDX, Aug 10, 2012
3.28/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint, the beer is a bright, slightly hazed, golden coloring with a ton of carbonation and no head. Aromas of peppers forward and bold. Wowzers. You get a lot of the dark and roasted notes of the Serrano and Anaheim peppers, but also the nose-blistering sheer heat from the ghost face and habanero. It smells hot as shit, but I like that kind of thing, which explains my mouth watering right now. Flavors are kind of mild initially, with a warming and pepper spice on the backbone, but that is immediately followed up with a blast of hot, both in spice and actual temperature. There is a golden-style type flavor somewhere in there, but it gets absolutely pummeled by the cascade of pepper spice and heat. The body is light and smooth, and the aftertaste is...wait for it...peppers. Again, more spice than anything, but the heat remains throughout, as well, only starting to subside in the finish. The finish is fairly quick, and somewhat unremarkable based on the fact that your taste buds are shot at this point. This was a fun one to try.

GarthDanielson, Feb 25, 2014
3.1/5  rDev +3.3%

From 12oz bottle to Devil's Backbone glass on 5/5/12
*From notes

A: Like an unfiltered pale lager. A firm pour yields no sign of a head, zero lacing and no real collar.

S: Just put a bottle of hot sauce up your nose. It's not so much hot as it is peppery. It's like you can literally smell the crushed pepper flakes.

T: All heat from beginning to end. It's lacking any semblance of balance. Malt? Hops? Forgetaboutit! It's spicy, like drinking a shot of hot sauce. I've had hotter (not beer mind you), but this is certainly some caliente shit.

M: Bubbly enough. Jesus...the heat is really setting in.

O: Look, if you want a chile beer, this is your solution. I've never had a beer this hot, and I knew I wasn't just being a pussy when one my buddies started to hiccup from the heat. I'm not giving this a four overall for anything other then what it set out to do: scald your palate.

And if nothing else, I haven't had such fun cracking a beer in a long, long time. Sharing this insane concoction and the hearty laughs that came with it with my tasting group won't soon be forgotten.

Rhettroactive, May 09, 2012
2.85/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Finally got to give this one a shot, 12 oz bottle purchased at Pinocchios in Media. I love chiles and hot food in general so what the heck.

Pours a lightly hazed dark apricot gold, with a small fizzy head that dissipates quickly and no lace. There's a very subtle sweetness buried in the aroma but it's pretty much dominated by fiery chiles; smells a lot like Tabasco to be honest. There's actually a lot of complexity to the nose if you allow yourself to dig in and not scorch your nostrils;some tropical fruit notes intermingle with a variety of chile aromas.

Unfortunately the flavor is just way too abusive and overpowering in peppery heat and no other elements can emerge very much; the overall effect is like drinking straight up hot sauce. Don't get me wrong, I love to douse my food in hot sauce but I still don't want to drink it straight from the bottle. The mouth is left with a lengthy lingering burn in the finish.

The body is medium light and the carbonation is moderately high; the mouthfeel is fine, but does it really matter? I could enjoy 2 ounces of this every now and then; finishing an entire bottle on one's own seems unecessarily punitive. A novelty to be sure but not really an enjoyable one.

tobelerone, Aug 01, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -50%

TheSevenDuffs, Jan 19, 2014
2.68/5  rDev -10.7%

12 oz bottle pours a hazed yellow color with a few bubbles of head, no retention or lacing, which is typical of chile beers.

Nose is fire, straight up fire. Intense heat with vegetal chile aroma. Smells like hatch chiles on steroids AND HGH. Wow.

After drinking 5 beers I finally got the courage to pop this fucker. I was planning on sharing it, but a good opportunity never presented itself over the past few months. I was planning on attempting to drink the whole thing by myself, but after one sip am reproaching myself and there is no way in the fiery depths of hell I am finishing this one…or am I? The malt is lightly grainy and the chile flavor is somewhere between smoky chipotle and raw poblano peppers. Somewhat like a habanero, but earthier and more vegetal. Holy hell, I love hot stuff and have enjoyed almost all the chile beers I have had...but this takes it a bit too far. About 3 oz in I am ready to throw in the towel...I think I will re-cap and use in some cooking. This is not a good beer by any means, but the novelty score is a 5.0 and I wouldnt take back the experience for anything...maybe :)

Edit…I drank about half of it and got the bright idea to add a Modelo Especial to it and it works very well. I mixed a 1:1 ratio and it is hot, but not sweat-inducing hot. I think I can finish it…Im a stubborn son of a bitch. I will need to chase this with some Tums though.

Double Edit...I drank 12 oz of this concoction, my stomach is making some really wierd noises and burping hurts pretty bad. Not for the faint of heart, but if you are a glutton for punishment this beer is right up your alley.

twiggamortis420, Aug 14, 2012
3.03/5  rDev +1%

Thanks to phillyswear for this great extra.

A - Orangish color that gets lighter on the sides. Quick dissolving head that left some wisps on the sides of the glass.

S - Like Alex said, this reminds me a lot of the Tri-Pepper Pilsner. The peppers are a bit spicey, but seem more like green peppers than anything else.

T - Wow, it's really peppery, as in really spicey peppery. I actually pick up a couple of distinct different pepper notes including the more spicey kinds as well as the ones that are just full on heat. Given what this was trying to accomplish, it's quite well done as it's relatively tasty, although hotter than blazes. Wouldn't say it's great, but not bad.

M - It burns like fire. Decent carbonation, medium boded.

O - I thought this was fine for what it was. Doesn't taste bad, doesn't taste particularly great, but if you were trying to make a beer that would blow your tastebuds to hell with pepper spice, it does what it accomplishes in an acceptable way.

On a post note, I eat a ton of spicey food and have a very high tolerance. The sheer acidity of this beer though caused me massive heartburn (an unusual thing) that forced me to go out at 4:30 am for Zantac. If you feel the need to tick this, beware.

AgentZero, Oct 12, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +19.3%

Not much head. Murky dull gold cores body.

Woo! Love the smell!. Make the nostrils flare.

Definite hot! Aftertaste. For sure. Can handle it but yeah! Not much after the pepper heat.

Low carbonation. Medium mouthfeel,

Lovin it. Although beer wise I'd set it back a half step from Great Danes Tri-Pepper Pilsner. Thanks kawilliams81.

Duff27, Jul 04, 2012
3.18/5  rDev +6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle

A- Pours a hazy golden yellow/amber color with a small fizzy white head that quickly dissipates.

S- The aroma is roasted chilis and very faint malt, you can definitely smell the spicy peppery throughout the nose.

T- The taste is a very brief moment of maltiness with the spiciness from the chilies quickly kicking in and lingering well into the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied and highly carbonated.

O- Overall, this beer packs the heat unlike any other beer I have tried. As someone who enjoys spicy foods, I enjoyed the uniqueness of this beer. I wouldn't be able to drink more that one bottle of this in a sitting, actually it is pretty difficult to just finish one bottle.

cjgator3, Jan 19, 2013

KevinGordon, May 27, 2013
3.85/5  rDev +28.3%

Received this in a trade and shared with bpk59 (Ben) and JLindros as well as others for some chili beer tasting session. Poured into a tulip. Reviewed from notes.

A - Poured a clear golden hue with a half finger of sudsy head that faded relatively quickly to leave a very soft, light halo.

S - Oh yeah, chili assault, burnt spice, chili powder, and earthy smoke from the jolkiah pepper. Nice.

T - Excellent ghost chili notes. Just delicious. Lightly smokey like the flavour of the ghost chili is. Really does the ghost chili justice. Just solid.

M - Slightly thin for my liking. Something bigger would have helped convey the heat.

O - This was a great chili beer, just delicious. I love ghost chili's and this did the pepper justice. Job well done.

rudzud, Jul 14, 2012

DmanGTR, Feb 02, 2013
3.05/5  rDev +1.7%

Off top this is a novelty beer. Golden color, looks like a beer. The smell gives a very good indicator of what you can expect, smoky peppers, just foreboding in every sense of the word. the flavor is smoky pepper, maybe that is the serrano? It then quickly morphs into heat that is not a joke. I love hot foods so this did not phase me but make no mistake this beer is hot and you will feel it in your tongue. I had to try this beer because I have had good chile beers from Coopersmith's and Stone 11.11.11 but I won't revisit this.

ArrogantB, Jan 12, 2012
3.13/5  rDev +4.3%

12oz bottle poured into a tasting glass; shared with a friend

The body sits a golden yellow with a faint hint of orange. A small, white cap rises and falls quickly. No lacing whatsoever. The nose is straight pepper juice/cayenne pepper powder. The pepper flavor/aromas are overly dominant. I can't seem to detect anything else. At first sip, some pale malt hits and then a rush of liquid pepper juice. The heat slowly fills the palate and retreats slowly. Light body, dry and crisp finish. Heat lingers. My stomach actually started to hurt a little bit. I honestly didn't think this was a bad attempt at a beer, just overly bold. Tough to drink, that's for sure. Best to split a bottle three ways.

ColForbinBC, Oct 29, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -8.3%

TheBeerAlmanac, Jul 23, 2013
1.55/5  rDev -48.3%

Thanks to ThirstyHerf for the opportunity! Shared with injuredreserve because I'm not suicidal... he however was, trudging through all 8 ounces he decided to pour himself.

Pours a hazy/cloudy pale straw color. Looks slightly wheat based. Head was white, and not long lasting.

Aroma was spicy. It's slightly misleading as it was spicy, but it didn't seem... menacing so to speak.

Holy hell...literally. A small sip induced uncontrollable coughing and a burn lasting about 15 minutes. After the burn calmed, I attempted another sip, and put it down much faster this time and it was a little less destroying. I could resist coughing the faster I put it away. Naturally, drinkability is nonexistent.

This is punishment. No enjoyment can really be had here, especially not being a hot head. Glad to have tried it...I think...

EgadBananas, Oct 09, 2011

mhaugo, Mar 31, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -16.7%

BMart, May 08, 2013
2.4/5  rDev -20%

A: This poured a cloudy gold with some white head.
S: It smelled like jalapeno and chipotle and tabasco. Can't find much beer related scent.
T: It tasted like sweet peppers and burning. It had a lasting intensely hot aftertaste.
M: It was watery with lots of carbonation. Fizzy body.
D: This was exactly what it claims to be - hot beer. Really hot. If the scent didn't warn you off, the taste certainly should. Fitting body, but tough to handle the finish. Definitely not easy to drink. Fun to try once, but not for much more than a few sips, unless you're really into spicy drinks.

Pencible, Aug 03, 2013