Longbeard Winter Wheat - Bank Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Bank Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Euro Dark Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: jera1350 on 01-27-2012)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

morimech

4.22/5  rDev +16.9%

Knew nothing about this beer except that profits go to a good cause. beerforwildlife.com. Pours very dark, black in the glass. A small head forms and settles to a thin cap. Just a little lacing is left on the glass.

As jera1350 stated in his review, it does smell like a milk/sweet stout. Sweet roasted aroma. Slightly nutty with lactose.

This absolutely tastes like a stout with a lager-like body. It tastes much better than a lot of stouts. Not sure where the wheat fits in as I do not get much in the flavor or aroma. Mostly roasted malt with some lactose sweetness to balance the flavor.

The weakness is the body. It is a lager with a moderate lager body. With flavor like this, maybe a bigger body is what I was expecting.

A beer that does not really fit into any style. A little too roasted, and not hoppy to be a Schwarzbier and far too flavorful to be just a Euro Dark Lager. All I know is that I like it.

01-29-2012 19:21:36 | More by morimech
stealth

2.95/5  rDev -18.3%

This was a fresh-arrival on tap at a local pub, so I had to try it.

Appearance is a dark, almost black brew, with reddish/brown highlights around the edge of the glass. Very thin mocha head that dissipated quickly. Not much in the way of lacing.

I couldn't get much of an aroma from the pour. What I could smell was a metallic roast. Nothing special there. Moving on to the taste...I had to work through half of the 16oz pour to get a feel for what I was drinking as it had a very subdued profile, contrary to the other reviews here. A cross between a lager and a porter. Tasted like a basic mild porter (roasted malts, etc), with a metallic tinge, but without the porter mouthfeel, which was very thin and watery. I think the city tap water has about the same body as this pour did.

Overall, I'm wondering if the pub is watering this beer down or something. Water with roasted malt flavor is what this beer was. I'd like to try it bottled at least to see how much of a difference there is, as this was pretty underwhelming on-tap, and the other reviews have me thinking something is awry with the tap pour I had.

03-11-2012 21:45:45 | More by stealth
ZAP

A nicely flavored beer that I have not seen in my neck of the woods before....as a few noted this has a real roasty maltiness with definitely a milk stout like flavor...Medium bodied with a creamy texture...not getting much from the wheat....a bit of chocolate on the nose..deep blackish brown color..

Good quality beer that is enjoyable to drink.

03-15-2012 04:58:03 | More by ZAP
jera1350

Brewed by Brau Brothers for Bank Brewing Co.

Solid brown color, bordering on black. A thinner head of mocha colored foam that produces some fair lacing.

I'm liking the nose on this. It's lactose sweet, pretty close to a milk stout smell. There's some caramel and light roasty notes behind it.

Moderate roastiness with some lactose sweetness behind. Some light lingering hop bitterness behind. Light toasty character in the finish and aftertaste. Hints of coffee mixed in.

I find the body to be quite chewy. Lots of wheat used to gain that feel perhaps. Medium bodied and slick feeling.

I was really surprised by this beer. Not sure of what style this exactly fits in, but reminds me of a foreign export stout/milk stout hybrid. Either way, a good beer that's worth trying out.

01-27-2012 02:20:57 | More by jera1350
Crowesaddict

01-06-2014 05:19:23 | More by Crowesaddict
Chucker17

South Dakota

3.5/5  rDev -3%

12-13-2013 22:10:20 | More by Chucker17
Longbeard Winter Wheat from Bank Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.