Cassissona - Birrificio Italiano

good

Birrificio Italiano visit their website
Italy

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.40% ABV

(Beer added by: stcules on 06-19-2005)
2.53/5  rDev -30.5%

This beer has an extremely unique bottle and very un-beer-like labeling. Defintely something different!

The beer pours cloudy brown, and is extremely carbonated (more carbonated than champagne). This extreme head has great staying power and takes forever to dissipate, so take great caution when pouring, lest you get a tulip-ful of foam.

Smell is pretty much pure sour. I've had currant jelly before, but I can't profess to extreme amount of familiarity with the fruit so I might have a hard time smelling it, although I didn't pick up much in the way of fruit notes in the aroma.

Taste is a weird, totally unexpected maltiness. This was definitely not what I expected from a fruit beer. Surprisingly, this beer was just not fruity tasting.

Mouthfeel was also unique. The beer seemed to have a watery viscosity, but a bubbly mouthfeel like a sparkling wine. Very different, but not recommended.

2.63/5  rDev -27.7%

I was able to try this beer at a tasting organized by Jeffo and Doopiedoopiedoo. Read some more about the tasting on my review of The Brewery - Black Tuesday.

This was a gusher! For a sour it is not really uncommon, but unfortunately it was opened inside :).

A - A hazy fluid with a white head and there is some carbonation visible.

S - A bread kind of smell along with sour, overall it smelled like a cow stable.

T - A light cherry and blackberry taste, very nicely done concerning the smell :)

M - A medium carbonation, where one expect a high one!

O - Not to bad in taste, but there is no complexity/depth.

2.65/5  rDev -27.2%

Pours a light, hazy amber with some descent bubbling. Plenty of sediment as well. More than expected or should be there on the first glass worth of my 750ml bottle. The aroma is almost a dead even mix of currants, definetly not black and apricots. The flavor is just as surprising. I've had curant flavored beers before, and they really put the currants flavor on center stage. Very little mixing around. But this beer has a mix of the currnat and some more light flavored fruits like apricots and pears. A little of the currants tartness sticks around the palate as well.

This beer had a lot of flavors I didn't expect. Sometimes they were a nice surprise, but for the most part. This beer was sub-par.

3.05/5  rDev -16.2%

Not the best, not the worst. At least it wasn't a gusher like many of the other recent Italians I've tried. Poured with a lively tan head that quickly settled down almost none. Color is a hazy medium amber. Aroma is malty, cassis, and a hint of the bacteria. Flavor's similar to nose; not too complex. Body is a little thin and carbonation a bit sharp. Finish is like a slightly washed out flavor with alcohol and medium in length. Not worth the price at all.

3.1/5  rDev -14.8%

I had this on-tap at Max's during their Italian Fest. It was the only one I didn't really care for.

A - reddish-amber color with a healthy white head.

S - A bit of tart fruit.

T - I wasn't too crazy about this beer. It was just okay. I can enjoy a sour beer, but the flavor did not impress me, and it was too carbonated. I didn't know it was supposed to be a sparkling beer. The tart fruit did not come out too well. The flavor leaned toward being slightly bile-like, as though it were a batch past due.

M - Too carbonated.

D - Not the best drinkability since there is so much carbonation.

3.13/5  rDev -14%

A- well I think that is the biggest head I have ever seen on a beer. Poured it into a Maredsous glass and ended up with 1/3 foam. The beer itself was a cloudy orange color.

S- a bit funky

T- a bit fruity and wine like. Interesting,but not great. This bottle has been sitting around for a couple of years. I can't remember what it was like when I had the first bottle, so no call on how its changed.

M- a bit thin. Not much malt in the beer, so not much feel.

Overall an interesting beer, but I won't pick this one up again.

3.13/5  rDev -14%

This beer poured out as a pretty red color with a pinkish colored head that faded rather quickly. The smell of the beer had some tart fruity elements to it that reminded me a lot of wine. The taste of the beer was tart with a little amount of funk in there and a bit dry. The mouthfeel was light and dry, some light carbonation but nothing too out of the ordinary here. Overall this beer is decent to me. I can't rave about much because I wasn't really impressed by it. It might be worth trying if you really like these types of beers.

3.15/5  rDev -13.5%

Bottle shared by humulone_red. Thanks!
Pours a murky amber with a filmy head. Smell is bright fresh fruity, cassis, and maltiness. Taste is very mild. Faint tartness, berry like flavor, and a thin body with light carbonation. Decent, and the fruity is surprisingly light in this one.

1 Pint 9.4 FL OZ bottle.

This one scares me as the label says 'Sparkling Beer'. Opened to a loud pop. I was expecting to have beer all over my desk, but it didn't gush. It did pour all head. Settled to a medium amber color. Lots of floaters. Aromas of grapes, berries, and some yeast. Taste was different, not what the aroma lead me to believe it would be. Some berries, but they were muted. Sweet. Body was on the flat side too - another surprise with the way this opened and poured. Different.

Notes from 12/23/06

3.18/5  rDev -12.6%

Chilled in the fridge for 24 hrs, but it was still a bit of an over-foamer. Murky auburn with a big white head that leaves sticky, foamy lace.

Smell is very sweet, tangerines, maybe a little raspberry.

Taste is similar, sweet candied fruits, a hint of minerality. I've never had black currants, but when it's used as a wine descriptor, the wines taste nothing like this. The cloyingness really got fatiguing as I worked though this.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side, a little sticky.

Drinkability is eh. Not much of a fruit component, or sour like I hoped it might of been. A marked nose and taste of sweet biere de garde, just not what I was in the mood for, taste like a BdG made with to much belgian aromatic malt. Not sure how old this is though, I've cellared it for at least a year, probably more.

3.18/5  rDev -12.6%

A - this beer pours a brick red color with a very thick fluffy white head, that takes up a third of the glass, my glass had tons of sediment

S - wheaty fruity malt filled aroma, the fruit nose resembles a blend of strawberries and apples

T - up front a very sweet malty flavor, the fruitiness from the nose has melted into a more buttery flavor, malt/hoppy characteristics still in the background

M&D - the mouthfeel at first is very bubbly and carbonated, then melts into a buttery smoothness, very nice, moderately drinkable

a decent beer, the flavor is rather pedestrian but a quality brew nonetheless

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 750 mL bottle into pint glass.
A: Pours a golden color with TONS of carbonation...2/3 head and 1/3 beer in the glass even with a careful pour.
S: Citrus hops and a hint of cassis. Honestly wish there was a bit more cassis in the aroma.
T: Candy sugar and cassis...a little too sweet for my tastes.
M: Very light and bubbly...almost champagne-like.
D: Decently drinkable, but again I'm held back by the sweetness. Those who like sweeter fruit beers with high carbonation will like this one. Would pair well with a chocolate dessert.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Appearance – The body of this beer was very murky but somehow glowed at the same time. The head was monster with large bubbles.

Smell – The light, sour farmy aroma was rightly mixed with an abundance of beautiful currents.

Taste – The malts here are light and the spicing intense. The blackberry flavor mated well with the malts.

Mouthfeel – This beer was medium-bodied and fully carbonated. The carbs were pleasant in the cheeks and not that cheap effervescent you find with some pretenders.

Drinkability – This was more like a mild Fruit Lambic than anything else. It went down well enough thought it’s probably a tad too pricey to buy again.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

My first craft Italian beer, albiet a fruir beer.

Not knowing what to expect, I served up a tall glass for my girl and I... and man was I lucky the glass was tall!

This thing was all head...and I poured it delicatly. Ok... wait a few minutes and the beer setted down, to reveal strong penny-iron notes and barly malt characteristics.

The flavors were bitter, with the promised penny metalic and background hints of grape and cassis. At first I was put off, but strangely.. it grew on me!

The finish was long, strong, and entirely pleasant. Overall the beverage may be a bit academic for me. I will endovour to try it again in a month and see how my palate responds. A solid 3.5 in my book, on all accounts.

Best,
~Robin

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Despite careful pouring, it was nearly all head to begin with. After a few minutes, it was cloudy orangish with a large white, foamy head and many tiny bubbles.
The smell was a light whiff of floral hops and black currants.
The taste began as bitter, but eventually was overpowered by a subtle sweetness. The currents were there, but not as noticeable as expected. Though not hoppy, some of the hop taste was also noticeable. Some orange seemed to be mixed in. An underlying metallic taste was present.
It was spritzy and fairly light, but left the mouth with a sweet, dry feel.
Overall, it was not bad, but something was missing. The currants were not as noticeable as they could have been. The slight metallic taste through it off a bit. Decent - but, not worth the price.

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hugely effervescent, particulate-choked peachy orange that is barely visible at the bottom of the glass since the head takes up 99% of all available space. It's going to take multiple pours, each one followed by several minutes of waiting, to get the glass more than half full of beer. The crown is pale lemony ecru in color, is airysoft and unsticky, yet still manages to leave a decent amount of bubble bath-like lace.

The nose could be stronger. However, it's hard to find much fault since I'm trying to assess it through several inches of foam. Time to start slurping. There's a definite cassis presence that I wish was more sweetly fruity and more upfront. The aroma also has a subtle Belgian vibe with an appealing saison-like spicy yeastiness.

I like my fruit beers to contain more fruit flavor than this. Since I love cassis, I was looking forward to Cassissona is a big way, but even after several mouthfuls I can tell that it isn't what I expected or hoped it would be. I know that it's a different sort of fruit beer, a more elegant one for starters, but it has roughly one-third the black currant flavor of Lindemans Cassis.

The malt bill consists of pilsener, Munich and caramel, and the hop bill consists of Hallertau Magnum and Hallertau Hersbruker. The yeast strain is Saccharomyces Carlsbergensis for all you hyphaeheads out there. I don't have the most discriminating palate in the world, but not one of those ingredients is identifiable to me. That's not necessarily a negative, because this beer is unlike any other beer that I've ever had.

I'm betting that Birrificio Italiano hit their mark on the mouthfeel. It's light-medium with a light syrupy stickiness and carbonation that is very nearly Champagne-like in its bubbliciousness. More viscosity and fewer, more lethargic bubbles would be an improvement.

I love reading brewery websites, especially non-English ones where the translation is suspect. These guys want us to know that Cassissona "is suitable for unflappable folks or appropriate as a specific remedy for people suffering from hyper-efficiency". Yeah, gotta watch out for those hyper-efficient people.

Unfortunately, the beer doesn't match the supreme coolness of the bottle (which resembles the Magic Hat Thumbsucker bottle) and the label. I wanted to like it a lot, but only ended up liking it a little. It pains me to say it, especially given what I paid for the bottle, but in the end, Cassissona is just another pedestrian fruit beer.

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

Thanks to Tony of the OTH for a free sampling of this rare treat.

A: Pours a light cloudy orange honey colored hue with large soapy head. Retention was pretty good with some spotty lace.

S: Slightly fruity aroma with lots of yeast in the background.

T: This one is fruity, light berries, currants, some wheaty, grainy, bready, yeasty notes.

M: Light and tingly.

D: I had a nice sized sample, but this one would be served best in a 1/2 pint glass or such. Not one you would pound, but it is enjoyable in small servings.

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

750ml bottle thanks to jleblanc, much appreciated. For some reason I expected the color to be dark but it was a hazy orange-ish color with a super foamy head. The smell was weird, grains and such. The flavor was also weird, not tart and yet not sweet. Berries and stuff but also grains like the aroma.

Cassissona from Birrificio Italiano