Redband Stout - Great River Brewery

Redband StoutRedband Stout

Great River Brewery visit their website
Iowa, United States

American Stout |  6.00% ABV

Cold pressed Redband Coffee Company espresso beans infused into our milk stout. A big stout where a dark rich chocolate milk meets premium cold pressed coffee.

(Beer added by: Vdubb86 on 02-20-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
HairyToeKnuckles

Nebraska

1.75/5  rDev -57%

11-12-2012 22:13:28 | More by HairyToeKnuckles
doucmehu

1.8/5  rDev -55.8%

16oz. can purchased about a month ago in SD was poured into a Duvel tulip. No date on the can.

A: Slightly vigorous pour results in a huge pillow of deep tan head, about 4 fingers worth. Head settles to a a thin covering, and leaves very nice lacing.

S: Smells of bitter baker's chocolate, slightly medicinal, chalky mustiness where I expected to find the roasted coffee. There is some cheap brewed coffee as it warms.

T: Yuck, this is horrible. Acrid, soured, stale coffee grounds. This is infected or something, it is sour and extremely off-putting. The horrible metallic flavor is the final dagger in this beer being poured down the drain.

M: Creamy and oily with heavy carbonation. I didn't want it to stay in my mouth very long.

O: Poured just beautiful, but tasted absolutely hideous. I really hope this was infected and not a standard example. There is no way it can have high reviews if this is how it is supposed to taste. What a letdown.

05-06-2012 03:47:08 | More by doucmehu
theminutemen

Missouri

11-09-2012 17:34:41 | More by theminutemen
largadeer

Seems to be infected. Dark fruit, slight tartness, thin, metallic. Plenty of coffee and lactose behind the off flavors. Pours with excessive head. Something decidedly off about it. Not the most brutally infected beer I've ever tried, but far from good.

08-01-2013 08:22:51 | More by largadeer
zeledonia

2.68/5  rDev -34.2%

I love coffee stouts, and I love beer in cans. So I couldn't really pass this one up.

Pours black, quite a bit darker than any non-imperial stout I can recall, but still moderately thin. Massive head erupts almost out of the glass - had to slow, then stop, my pour. That pillowy mocha-colored head sticks around for a looong time, gradually developing craters and pockets visible from the side. Wow.

Smell is rather faint, but has a lovely smooth coffee aroma. Smells like cold press - all of the flavor, none of the bitterness or harshness that coffee sometimes gives. Strangely lacking the biggest thing I picked up in the flavor...

Taste is a serious disappointment. It tastes burnt. Like either the coffee or some of the grains were seriously over-roasted. This is not good. That charred flavor overwhelms everything else. I can pick out some coffee, and some faint chocoalte. But mostly I feel like I'm chewing on charcoal. I do not like it. This might be a drainpour.

Mouthfeel is decent - medium-bodied, as expected, with pretty high carbonation for a stout (especially when it first hits the tongue). Mid-length finish - just as I start to think it's going to carry on for a long time, it's gone.

Seriously, wtf is up with this beer? I've heard lots of people raving about it, but it just tastes bad to me. Like a burned coffee stout. Very unpleasant degree of char. I'll probably give it another shot on the chance this is a bad batch. But if it's like this, I won't be drinking any more of it.

03-23-2012 02:57:34 | More by zeledonia

Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 16 oz. can
Glassware: Nonic pint
Purchased: Received in a trade

A: Jet black and opaque, with a tan head 3 fingers high. Good head retention and a fair level of lace.

S: Coffee and dark breads, with also an unpleasant vinegar or vegetable element.

T: Dark roasted coffee, toasted malts, and bittersweet chocolate. Nicely balanced between bitter and sweet. Also get some of the vinegar flavor as in the nose.

M: Smooth and full-bodied; low to medium carbonation. Aftertastes are of dark breads, bitter chocolate, and also some of the off-tasting vegetable flavors noted in the aroma.

O: Some good qualities to the stout, but obviously something went wrong with the quality in this can when I compare my experience to other reviews.

Thanks to Duff27 for this one!

03-28-2012 03:31:10 | More by sommersb

10-01-2013 22:43:21 | More by Cronkite11
DavoleBomb

3.03/5  rDev -25.6%

Poured into a snifter.

4.0 A: Black color. Two and a half fingers of frothy/foamy tan head. Retention is very good for a coffee beer.

3.5 S: Rich roastiness in here. The coffee added must have a huge hand in this. Bittersweet chocolate and not overbearing amounts of coffee.

2.5 T: The strongest flavor in the taste is a tangy, somewhat acrid old coffee. It trumps the roastiness which is second. Hints of caramel and chocolate under that. It's not horrible, but I'm not a fan.

4.0 M: Heavier medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Thick, viscous feeling without a lot of creaminess. Good here for a coffee beer.

3.0 D: The coffee really wasn't well integrated into this one. If it was, I think I would have enjoyed it a lot.

02-15-2012 02:36:47 | More by DavoleBomb
Mdog

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%

Appearance: Black, big brown head.

Smell: Lots of coffee.

Taste: Lots of coffee, to the point where this tastes more like straight black iced coffee instead of beer with coffee infused.

Mouthfeel: Light body, like coffee.

Picked this up while in the Quad Cities. I like coffee flavors in my beer, but not to the point where it seems like the coffee overwhelms everything. That line gets crossed with this beer, just too much coffee and not enough beer.

12-04-2011 18:06:47 | More by Mdog
kojevergas

3.16/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

6% ABV confirmed. 16 fl oz aluminum can with appealing label art served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Acquired from the very generous Duff27 in a trade. "Stout with Coffee added." 36 IBUs. I don't see a bottled on date. Expectations are high; I enjoyed their Hop*A*Potamus and Duff27 recommended this as a coffee-forward stout.

Served chilled and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a gorgeous dark chocolatey tan head reminiscent of hot cocoa. Three finger height, with great cream and thickness, and very good (8+ minute) retention. Light lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Body colour is a solid nontransparent opaque black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Right on the money for a coffee stout, but the head colour is strange; it's dark but lacks the richness of the great coffee stouts I've seen. Hm. In any case, I'm excited to try it.

Sm: Chocolate, chocolate malt, light roast, and coffee. Little coffee roast; it definitely does seem cold-pressed. Rich coffee bean with a bit of bitterness. Light earthiness. No real cream. Chocolate isn't particularly evocative. The coffee isn't all that special either, at least compared to the great coffee stouts I've had before. Lightly burnt. Dark malts. A moderate strength aroma that isn't really selling me on the quality of the coffee. Quite assertive, but it lacks the rich creamy character of more appealing coffee stout aromas. Still, I'm looking forward to trying it. More coffee (and bitterness) comes through as it warms.

T: Hm. Metallic - its largest flaw. Coffee is definitely cold-pressed; it's got none of the roast, richness, or creaminess I want and a lot of the bitterness I hate about coffee. Little chocolate comes through at all. Boy, I'm not big on that bitterness on the climax; it destroys the balance. Caramel. Ugh, that bitterness just isn't balanced at all and adds nothing good in terms of flavour. No yeast or alcohol comes through. I'm not real big on this coffee stout, admittedly. To be honest, they do meet their goal of brewing a coffee stout reminiscent of iced coffee, but then I don't really like iced coffee. I appreciate what they're doing, but this one isn't really for me. I'm more a breakfast coffee stout kind of person. Lacks complexity and subtlety. It's not quite one note, but it's certainly simple.

Mf: Weak. Lightly undercarbonated. Smooth and wet. Lacks adequate body. Cream is sorely sorely missed here. Presence on the palate is decent. A missed opportunity.

Dr: Mainly will love this, and I wish I was one of them. But this just isn't what I want from a coffee stout; it lacks the subtlety and richness of something like Founder's Breakfast Stout or Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast/Brunch Weasel. The iced coffee emphasis really kills it for me, but that's probably just my personal tastes. If you want a bitter coffee stout redolent of iced coffee with little balance, this may be the beer for you. I'm glad to have tried it and will have little trouble finishing this pint, but I won't seek it out in the future. Thanks for the opportunity to try this, Duff27!

As it warmed, I came to like it more and more. But its main flaws still remained. Serve a hair below room temperature.

C+

03-20-2013 04:51:34 | More by kojevergas
GregSVT

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%

16oz can into a tulip

A: Pours very dark brown almost black with a decent mocha brown head that fades to a ring and leaves some lacing on the glass. Impressively dark for a 6% stout.

S: The nose is dominated by the coffee...it's all I can smell at first. Very earthy but I can detect some vanilla in there as well.

T: The taste is also mostly coffee with a slight vanilla flavor. It's almost like a watered down iced coffee.

M: Feel is thin and watery.

O: I wanted to love this one after reading reviews and especially since I love WnB and a few other coffee stouts but this one was a bit of a let down. If you're looking for all coffee and little stout this is definetly your beer.

01-19-2012 08:36:42 | More by GregSVT
Alieniloquium

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

16 oz. can poured into a British pint glass. Thanks to GraniteSkunk for this one.

Appearance - Pours black with a small mocha head. Not much retention and it only retains a bit of foam and a ring. No lacing.

Smell - Coffee. That's about it. If I struggle I can get some chocolate, but I might even be making that up.

Taste - A little better than the smell. Starts off dry and roasty that comes off very bitter. The coffee comes out and dominates the flavor. The finish is reminds me of oatmeal, but I can't find any indication of it on the label. Low bitterness and a little grainy.

Mouthfeel - Slick but not thick. The finish rests on the tongue leaving a malt flavor unlike the rest of the beer. Bitter, but only from the coffee. Medium carbonation and pretty thin.

Overall - It's a decent stout, but average in most respects. I can barely taste the stout behind the coffee, so it's tough to say it's good. Drinkable but not exciting in any way.

04-12-2012 00:18:08 | More by Alieniloquium
bashiba

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

Poured a nice deep black with a thin yet sticky dark brown head.

The smell is all coffee here, very deep and strong almost espresso strength only with a bit more bitterness.

The flavor follows the smell very closely, tons of coffee flavor with a mild roasted malt backbone, a bit of astringency comes through the more you drink it and it becomes apparent that the coffee end of this beer is very good, but overwhelming the base beer a bit.

The mouthfeel is a bit thin, a bit to much coffee here lightening up the mouthfeel.

Not bad, a bit to much of the coffee and not quite enough beer, still worth a try though.

09-27-2011 13:29:20 | More by bashiba
Kunstman

05-17-2013 03:37:02 | More by Kunstman
CraigTravor

Tennessee

07-21-2014 22:16:16 | More by CraigTravor
tvv375ia

poured from 16oz can into imperial pint glass

A-poured almost black with a 1 finger head that left a little lacing as it faded

S-coffee first and the is no second, all coffe smell here

T-much like the smell coffee is about all that I get for the taste also

M-carbonation is good but not as creamy as some stouts

O-ok for the coffee fan, but if you don't like coffee it may be tough to enjoy this one

10-07-2011 00:16:55 | More by tvv375ia