1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Redband Stout - Great River Brewery

Redband StoutRedband Stout

Great River Brewery visit their website
Iowa, United States

American Stout |  6.00% ABV

Cold pressed Redband Coffee Company espresso beans infused into our milk stout. A big stout where a dark rich chocolate milk meets premium cold pressed coffee.

(Beer added by: Vdubb86 on 02-20-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 223 | Reviews: 101 | Show All Ratings:
doucmehu

Wisconsin

1.8/5  rDev -55.9%

16oz. can purchased about a month ago in SD was poured into a Duvel tulip. No date on the can.

A: Slightly vigorous pour results in a huge pillow of deep tan head, about 4 fingers worth. Head settles to a a thin covering, and leaves very nice lacing.

S: Smells of bitter baker's chocolate, slightly medicinal, chalky mustiness where I expected to find the roasted coffee. There is some cheap brewed coffee as it warms.

T: Yuck, this is horrible. Acrid, soured, stale coffee grounds. This is infected or something, it is sour and extremely off-putting. The horrible metallic flavor is the final dagger in this beer being poured down the drain.

M: Creamy and oily with heavy carbonation. I didn't want it to stay in my mouth very long.

O: Poured just beautiful, but tasted absolutely hideous. I really hope this was infected and not a standard example. There is no way it can have high reviews if this is how it is supposed to taste. What a letdown.

05-06-2012 03:47:08 | More by doucmehu
largadeer

Seems to be infected. Dark fruit, slight tartness, thin, metallic. Plenty of coffee and lactose behind the off flavors. Pours with excessive head. Something decidedly off about it. Not the most brutally infected beer I've ever tried, but far from good.

08-01-2013 08:22:51 | More by largadeer
zeledonia

2.68/5  rDev -34.3%

I love coffee stouts, and I love beer in cans. So I couldn't really pass this one up.

Pours black, quite a bit darker than any non-imperial stout I can recall, but still moderately thin. Massive head erupts almost out of the glass - had to slow, then stop, my pour. That pillowy mocha-colored head sticks around for a looong time, gradually developing craters and pockets visible from the side. Wow.

Smell is rather faint, but has a lovely smooth coffee aroma. Smells like cold press - all of the flavor, none of the bitterness or harshness that coffee sometimes gives. Strangely lacking the biggest thing I picked up in the flavor...

Taste is a serious disappointment. It tastes burnt. Like either the coffee or some of the grains were seriously over-roasted. This is not good. That charred flavor overwhelms everything else. I can pick out some coffee, and some faint chocoalte. But mostly I feel like I'm chewing on charcoal. I do not like it. This might be a drainpour.

Mouthfeel is decent - medium-bodied, as expected, with pretty high carbonation for a stout (especially when it first hits the tongue). Mid-length finish - just as I start to think it's going to carry on for a long time, it's gone.

Seriously, wtf is up with this beer? I've heard lots of people raving about it, but it just tastes bad to me. Like a burned coffee stout. Very unpleasant degree of char. I'll probably give it another shot on the chance this is a bad batch. But if it's like this, I won't be drinking any more of it.

03-23-2012 02:57:34 | More by zeledonia

Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 16 oz. can
Glassware: Nonic pint
Purchased: Received in a trade

A: Jet black and opaque, with a tan head 3 fingers high. Good head retention and a fair level of lace.

S: Coffee and dark breads, with also an unpleasant vinegar or vegetable element.

T: Dark roasted coffee, toasted malts, and bittersweet chocolate. Nicely balanced between bitter and sweet. Also get some of the vinegar flavor as in the nose.

M: Smooth and full-bodied; low to medium carbonation. Aftertastes are of dark breads, bitter chocolate, and also some of the off-tasting vegetable flavors noted in the aroma.

O: Some good qualities to the stout, but obviously something went wrong with the quality in this can when I compare my experience to other reviews.

Thanks to Duff27 for this one!

03-28-2012 03:31:10 | More by sommersb
DavoleBomb

3.03/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured into a snifter.

4.0 A: Black color. Two and a half fingers of frothy/foamy tan head. Retention is very good for a coffee beer.

3.5 S: Rich roastiness in here. The coffee added must have a huge hand in this. Bittersweet chocolate and not overbearing amounts of coffee.

2.5 T: The strongest flavor in the taste is a tangy, somewhat acrid old coffee. It trumps the roastiness which is second. Hints of caramel and chocolate under that. It's not horrible, but I'm not a fan.

4.0 M: Heavier medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Thick, viscous feeling without a lot of creaminess. Good here for a coffee beer.

3.0 D: The coffee really wasn't well integrated into this one. If it was, I think I would have enjoyed it a lot.

02-15-2012 02:36:47 | More by DavoleBomb
Mdog

3.05/5  rDev -25.2%

Appearance: Black, big brown head.

Smell: Lots of coffee.

Taste: Lots of coffee, to the point where this tastes more like straight black iced coffee instead of beer with coffee infused.

Mouthfeel: Light body, like coffee.

Picked this up while in the Quad Cities. I like coffee flavors in my beer, but not to the point where it seems like the coffee overwhelms everything. That line gets crossed with this beer, just too much coffee and not enough beer.

12-04-2011 18:06:47 | More by Mdog
kojevergas

3.16/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

6% ABV confirmed. 16 fl oz aluminum can with appealing label art served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Acquired from the very generous Duff27 in a trade. "Stout with Coffee added." 36 IBUs. I don't see a bottled on date. Expectations are high; I enjoyed their Hop*A*Potamus and Duff27 recommended this as a coffee-forward stout.

Served chilled and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a gorgeous dark chocolatey tan head reminiscent of hot cocoa. Three finger height, with great cream and thickness, and very good (8+ minute) retention. Light lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Body colour is a solid nontransparent opaque black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Right on the money for a coffee stout, but the head colour is strange; it's dark but lacks the richness of the great coffee stouts I've seen. Hm. In any case, I'm excited to try it.

Sm: Chocolate, chocolate malt, light roast, and coffee. Little coffee roast; it definitely does seem cold-pressed. Rich coffee bean with a bit of bitterness. Light earthiness. No real cream. Chocolate isn't particularly evocative. The coffee isn't all that special either, at least compared to the great coffee stouts I've had before. Lightly burnt. Dark malts. A moderate strength aroma that isn't really selling me on the quality of the coffee. Quite assertive, but it lacks the rich creamy character of more appealing coffee stout aromas. Still, I'm looking forward to trying it. More coffee (and bitterness) comes through as it warms.

T: Hm. Metallic - its largest flaw. Coffee is definitely cold-pressed; it's got none of the roast, richness, or creaminess I want and a lot of the bitterness I hate about coffee. Little chocolate comes through at all. Boy, I'm not big on that bitterness on the climax; it destroys the balance. Caramel. Ugh, that bitterness just isn't balanced at all and adds nothing good in terms of flavour. No yeast or alcohol comes through. I'm not real big on this coffee stout, admittedly. To be honest, they do meet their goal of brewing a coffee stout reminiscent of iced coffee, but then I don't really like iced coffee. I appreciate what they're doing, but this one isn't really for me. I'm more a breakfast coffee stout kind of person. Lacks complexity and subtlety. It's not quite one note, but it's certainly simple.

Mf: Weak. Lightly undercarbonated. Smooth and wet. Lacks adequate body. Cream is sorely sorely missed here. Presence on the palate is decent. A missed opportunity.

Dr: Mainly will love this, and I wish I was one of them. But this just isn't what I want from a coffee stout; it lacks the subtlety and richness of something like Founder's Breakfast Stout or Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast/Brunch Weasel. The iced coffee emphasis really kills it for me, but that's probably just my personal tastes. If you want a bitter coffee stout redolent of iced coffee with little balance, this may be the beer for you. I'm glad to have tried it and will have little trouble finishing this pint, but I won't seek it out in the future. Thanks for the opportunity to try this, Duff27!

As it warmed, I came to like it more and more. But its main flaws still remained. Serve a hair below room temperature.

C+

03-20-2013 04:51:34 | More by kojevergas
GregSVT

3.23/5  rDev -20.8%

16oz can into a tulip

A: Pours very dark brown almost black with a decent mocha brown head that fades to a ring and leaves some lacing on the glass. Impressively dark for a 6% stout.

S: The nose is dominated by the coffee...it's all I can smell at first. Very earthy but I can detect some vanilla in there as well.

T: The taste is also mostly coffee with a slight vanilla flavor. It's almost like a watered down iced coffee.

M: Feel is thin and watery.

O: I wanted to love this one after reading reviews and especially since I love WnB and a few other coffee stouts but this one was a bit of a let down. If you're looking for all coffee and little stout this is definetly your beer.

01-19-2012 08:36:42 | More by GregSVT
bashiba

Iowa

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured a nice deep black with a thin yet sticky dark brown head.

The smell is all coffee here, very deep and strong almost espresso strength only with a bit more bitterness.

The flavor follows the smell very closely, tons of coffee flavor with a mild roasted malt backbone, a bit of astringency comes through the more you drink it and it becomes apparent that the coffee end of this beer is very good, but overwhelming the base beer a bit.

The mouthfeel is a bit thin, a bit to much coffee here lightening up the mouthfeel.

Not bad, a bit to much of the coffee and not quite enough beer, still worth a try though.

09-27-2011 13:29:20 | More by bashiba
tvv375ia

Iowa

poured from 16oz can into imperial pint glass

A-poured almost black with a 1 finger head that left a little lacing as it faded

S-coffee first and the is no second, all coffe smell here

T-much like the smell coffee is about all that I get for the taste also

M-carbonation is good but not as creamy as some stouts

O-ok for the coffee fan, but if you don't like coffee it may be tough to enjoy this one

10-07-2011 00:16:55 | More by tvv375ia
Alieniloquium

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

16 oz. can poured into a British pint glass. Thanks to GraniteSkunk for this one.

Appearance - Pours black with a small mocha head. Not much retention and it only retains a bit of foam and a ring. No lacing.

Smell - Coffee. That's about it. If I struggle I can get some chocolate, but I might even be making that up.

Taste - A little better than the smell. Starts off dry and roasty that comes off very bitter. The coffee comes out and dominates the flavor. The finish is reminds me of oatmeal, but I can't find any indication of it on the label. Low bitterness and a little grainy.

Mouthfeel - Slick but not thick. The finish rests on the tongue leaving a malt flavor unlike the rest of the beer. Bitter, but only from the coffee. Medium carbonation and pretty thin.

Overall - It's a decent stout, but average in most respects. I can barely taste the stout behind the coffee, so it's tough to say it's good. Drinkable but not exciting in any way.

04-12-2012 00:18:08 | More by Alieniloquium
n2185

3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

A: Pours black with three fingers of dark tan head that fades into a thin ring with a little lacing.

S: Roasted malts with sweet cocoa up front followed by sweet, creamy coffee aromas.

T: Bitter roasted malts up front with roasted coffee flavors following. The finish has a charred character to it, reminiscent of burnt coffee.

M: Medium-thick body with medium carbonation, this beer is nice and lively without being too watery.

O: A decent beer overall, though the burnt coffee flavors are a bit of a deterrent. I'd also like a bit more complexity.

03-11-2012 20:54:49 | More by n2185
Chaz

3.55/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours an inky-black in color, topped with a head which is dark-tan (closer to brown) and which falls after a couple of minutes, leaving a ring around the edge of the glass. Held to direct sunlight this is a deep ruby red in color. Nice first impression.

Coffee all over the nose; smells like cold press with a hint of sweet malt, dark and roast malt overtones. Very nice if you like coffee, might be a bit much if you don't.

Light smoke and bitter-sweet malt character on the first sip. A little lighter feel on the palate than some in this style, but brisk and refreshing as well, not heavy at all (which I had expected). Carbonation is fairly light, so there's almost a "flat" feel to this one by comparison to many others. A note of chocolate and a lighter note of espresso linger long after the first sip -- more bittersweet than bitter.

Quite drinkable, especially as there's less "booziness" than I was expecting.

Altogether better than average, and I'd like to try it in a blind tasting next to similar offerings from Bell's, Central Waters...

04-11-2012 22:30:46 | More by Chaz
UCLABrewN84

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to AndrewK for sharing this one at jmgrub’s tasting.

Pours an opaque black with a foamy khaki head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of coffee beans, coffee grounds, and brewed coffee. Taste is the same with a slightly sour acidic quality to it. There is a mild roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good coffee forward stout but the slightly sour flavor slightly detracts from the taste on this one.

04-17-2012 00:43:48 | More by UCLABrewN84
TheSevenDuffs

Ontario (Canada)

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Robbie for this can. Poured in to tulip.

A - Poured dark black with one finger of cocoa brown head.

S - Big bitter coffee aroma up front with roast and sweet molasses notes.

T - Lots of roast and dark roasted coffee. Fairly big sweetness with hints of molasses and chocolate. The finish is dry and bitter.

M - Medium body. Creamy. Light carbonation.

01-02-2013 23:37:27 | More by TheSevenDuffs
harrymel

Washington

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

Canned: unk

A black stout with a couple fingers of light mocha foam and a decent lace. Smells like coffee - serious amounts of coffee. There are hints of malt, but not particularly pronounced, mostly the smell of coffee. The taste follows a bit of a different route, the coffee is more complimentary than dictatorial. There are tones of chocolate, toasted malts, some hints of oxidation, and a creamy flavor as well. This is well done in the flavor department. Medium bodied with a sincerely dry finish - surprisingly, this feels right.

A deceptive beer up front with the nose, but converges into a really nice beer. As it warms, it grows on me and as I enjoy it, the nose seems less important. If they adjusted the aromas for more interaction, I would argue this would be a world class coffee stout. Really a beer worth seeking and I plan to place on my wants list for a second round.

01-08-2012 13:10:26 | More by harrymel
mmapes

Colorado

3.89/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Brought a can back from Iowa. Can says 6% so I expected something relatively light. I was surprised at how black it poured, with a nice, thick, dark tan head.

Coffee smell is noticeable up front, blending nicely with the beer scents.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly viscous (rich and full) for a six-percenter. Long coffee finish has a hint of smoke. If you like coffee stouts, this one's very good. I think I like the thick stout foretaste better than the smoky/bitter aftertaste, but this one's surprisingly good.

Well done.

Might buy this one again, although I don't always like coffee stouts.

04-09-2013 23:35:40 | More by mmapes
tone77

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Alright, this is a first. A couple of weeks ago a package arrived from cpolking including this beer. The very next day my main man, woodychandler makes an unexpected visit to my job with a bag of beers, incliding this one. I was destined to try this beer! Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of coffee, roasted malts. Taste is very espresso like, some malts, this would be great in the morning as opposed to around midnight, which is when I cracked this beer. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is a high quality beer.

09-01-2011 14:59:58 | More by tone77
brydeen

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

16oz can poured into a snifter

A: Dark brown, almost black pour. Looks like motor oil. Creamy, inch thick mocha colored head, with good staying power.

S: Massive coffee aroma. Hard to pick a lot else out, except faint hints of chocolate.

T: Taste not as prominent as the scent. Very similar to cold coffee that isn't quite fresh brewed. A sweet finish that diminishes the roasty flavor.

M: A little thin for the flavor profile and aroma. Medium carbonation.

O: A little one dimensional. The aroma is among the best of this style, but the flavor and body don't hold up to others (ie. - FBS, CW Brewhouse Stout) Still solid though

01-05-2012 00:01:05 | More by brydeen
psychotia

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

NBS #2; 16oz can into pint glass

A - black with a two-finger brown mocha head, which settles and disappeared by the end of the glass.

S - coffee. some chocolate notes come through as well, but it's hard to tell whether this is independent from the coffee aroma.

T - more coffee, dark roast and cocoa. this all comes together nicely! i'm used to coffee stouts being quite sweet, but this one avoids that while still maintaining a chocolately satisfaction.

M - consistent with the observation of sweetness, I feel this is a bit thinner than I would prefer. I'm not noticing excess carbonation, yet I managed a fairly aggressive pour into my pint glass.

O - a great coffee stout. i will certainly seek this out again - especially when considering the value. try it!!

02-13-2012 11:55:26 | More by psychotia
tectactoe

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

Thanks to Jeff for this one. Pours out like a black lagoon, bubbly and thick looking with a deep-tan colored can that rests softly on top of the black abyss. The head fades within a few minutes to a gentle skin atop the brew, with some marginal and spotty lacing left near the top of the glass.

Redband Stout has a fairly straightforward aroma profile that's primarily made up of two things: super heavy roasted coffee and a more laid-back, underlying creamy sweetness. The coffee beans I'm picking up are roasted to hell; scorched, burnt, and oily. The creamy sweetness is a bit more subtle, but balances well with some light, milk and sugar proponents, and even a mild touch of cocoa from the malt. For being so simple, it's actually quite robust on the nostrils, but then again, I'm biased to over-roasted coffee stouts.

It's a little thinner on the palate than you'd expect given the way it pours into the glass, but it still has a reasonably nice, slick mouth feel all around. Believe it or not, the first thing I taste is NOT the coffee - rather it's the nice, creamy sweetness of the malt, somewhat sugary and plopped with a bit of milk chocolate. While the coffee doesn't join until about midway through, it makes up for its immediate absence by lasting well into the aftertaste. Roasted coffee beans and grinds with a mild bitterness in the finish, dark, robust, charred, and a bit ashy. I'm not picking up any direct hop flavors - they are probably being washed out by the roast.

Nice stout here that'll be great for lovers of bitter-roasted coffee beans and whatnot. Enjoyable, albeit slightly one-dimensional and a little lackluster in terms of mouth feel. But considering the low ABV, it's got a very nice and full aroma and flavor profile. Definitely something I'd keep in the fridge to enjoy whenever I felt like kicking back an easy-drinking yet flavorful stout.

05-12-2013 17:42:58 | More by tectactoe
barnzy78

3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

16oz can, pours black with a light brown head, decent retention and lacing. Aromas are coffee and roasted malts. Tastes are simliar - lots of roasted coffee and roasted malts with some chocolate, and oatmeal also. Mouth-feel is medium bodied with appropriate carbonation. Overall, this was good, but lacks complexity. It seemed to be very one dimensional. Still worth the try id the price is right.

02-10-2012 00:27:24 | More by barnzy78
ShanePB

3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

Pounder can (16 oz) sent to me as an extra from Dave, thanks! Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Thick, motor oil looking dark brown almost damn near black body coming out. A foamy, rocky medium brown head forms and leaves great lacing around the glass. Nice coating retention cap is left behind, too.

S: Fresh pressed coffee, roast, chocolate, caramel and some milled dark malts. There's a bit of bitterness that mixes with a slight sweetness. That said, it's not overly aromatic - certainly the coffee is there but it masks a lot of the other aromas.

T: Medium roast coffee beans, cream and some bitter notes up front. Dark chocolate, dark malts and a bit of sweet sugar towards the back end. This is really nice and flavorful while striking a great balance between the coffee and the stout base.

M: Nicely carbonated but not too much giving this lower ABV stout a really nice full feeling. It's creamy, smooth but very easy drinking. A little bitter in the finish but this is good stuff.

This was really nice, I found myself putting the glass down and picking it right back up. It sort of begs to keep sipping on. Certainly one you must try if coffee-infused beers are ones you enjoy.

02-20-2012 21:41:07 | More by ShanePB
tito42

Missouri

3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from can to an imperial pint. Purcahsed 8/16/2012 while traveling in Albert Lea, MN. No date.

A: Very dark, opaque brown. Nearly black. Thick, foamy, dark cocoa head. Looks like a proper stout!

S: Very strong coffee aroma with hints of chocolate, roasted malts, and bitter hops.

T: A very distinct flavor to this one. Dark roast coffee is very prevalent. Milk chocolate, in fact somewhat of a chocolate milk flavor, backs up the coffee, with a trace of bitter hops at the finish.

M: A bit thinner than I like my stouts, but nice creaminess and smoothness. A bit of a lingering bitterness beyond what you might expect from a coffee stout.

O: Very nice coffee flavor, the coffee stout lovers should definitely try this one. An interesting milkiness to this one as well. In the end, just a bit too bitter or sour and a little thin to be truly great, but a nice entry no doubt.

08-20-2012 02:12:52 | More by tito42
yamar68

Poured from a 16oz can into an imperial pint glass:

a - Pours a near pitch black, like a fresh cup of Kona with two to three fingers of big soft light brown head. Nice lacing.

s - FRESH coffee, I've never experienced this from a beer but this coffee smells fresh from the grinder. Some caramel, milk chocolate, cocoa powder, subtle nut notes.

t - They really nail the coffee flavors but I think it stuns the other nice stout characteristics. Really good for what it is though and that is a coffee beer. I can definitely see myself craving one of these in the future. Would be the perfect breakfast beer for camping.

m - Too thin in my opinion. It works fine but it could get beefed up a bit I think.

o - Really solid offering from Great River Brewery. I look forward to trying their other stuff.

02-13-2012 23:04:18 | More by yamar68