Redband Stout - Great River Brewery

Redband StoutRedband Stout

Great River Brewery visit their website
Iowa, United States

American Stout |  6.00% ABV

Cold pressed Redband Coffee Company espresso beans infused into our milk stout. A big stout where a dark rich chocolate milk meets premium cold pressed coffee.

(Beer added by: Vdubb86 on 02-20-2011)
3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to AndrewK for sharing this one at jmgrub’s tasting.

Pours an opaque black with a foamy khaki head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of coffee beans, coffee grounds, and brewed coffee. Taste is the same with a slightly sour acidic quality to it. There is a mild roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good coffee forward stout but the slightly sour flavor slightly detracts from the taste on this one.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

Big thanks to doughofthefuture for sending a can of this out my way. Served in a SAVOR wine glass.

Pours near-black with a huge mocha head with quite the retention time and some nice ringy lacing as it finally subsides to a thin cap. The nose brings loads of coffee and a touch of cream, with some dark chocolate in the background. Flavor has a nice combo of heavy coffee upfront, followed up with some nice roast and chocolate character. Body is medium to full with a nice creaminess and a touch of dryness in the finish. Really a nice brew. Thanks again.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

A: The beer is jet black in color and poured with a quarter finger high tan head that gradually faded away, leaving only a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass and some wispy lacing on the surface.
S: There are moderately strong aromas of roasted coffee beans in the nose.
T: Flavors of coffee and espresso really stand out in the taste of this beer—it’s kind of like drinking an iced coffee made with dark roasted beans. A light amount of bitterness is present.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a low to moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is quite easy to drink for having an intense flavor of coffee—it’s neither very bitter nor full-bodied.

Seems to be infected. Dark fruit, slight tartness, thin, metallic. Plenty of coffee and lactose behind the off flavors. Pours with excessive head. Something decidedly off about it. Not the most brutally infected beer I've ever tried, but far from good.

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

Multiple growler pours over the course of the day. Review from written notes. Served in a Hamms goblet.

Black body with brown mahogany edges, spotty lace and a momentary head of coffee stained foam. Several pours later the head is minimal, just the spotty lace.

Rich coffee aroma, highly concentrated and pungent. If you're not a coffee drinker, forget about it. This smells better than the Italian dark roast I had earlier this morning. Smoky char, unsweetened dark chocolate, earthy tobacco.

Flavors follow suit, the coffee swallows up most of the recognizable beer characteristics. Dark roast malts, deep and earthy char, rich and bitter coffee flavor. Finishes dry, medium bodied with a slightly low level of carbonation. Easy drinking, though its a prerequisite to love coffee here. The cold pressed coffee dominates to say the least, and it's delicious.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Served in a Half Acre shaker pint glass.

Thanks to VDubb86 for sharing this random growler!

Brewed with a local coffee. Right on. it pours a straight onyx topped by a finger of light tan foam. The nose comprises a beastly amount of coffee and a side dish of roasted malts. That is it. Straight up. The taste doesn't really bring anything new to the table, though it seems like the roasted malts have developed a sort of rudimentary collective backbone (though are still held in perpetual check by the coffee), and some light dark chocolate seems to have wormed its way in the door. The body is a hefty medium, with a light carbonation and a rather smooth feel. Overall, a nice coffee stout, though the coffee comes across to me as slightly o'erpowering. This isn't that bad a situation, but I'm not as big a coffee fan as others.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks Thorpe, beer served in a snifter. beer is black with a thin tan head, low carbonation, some lacing, low retention.

Aroma is coffee and a little sweet.

Beer is medium in body, creamy on the palate, a nice coffee flavor and a nice finish overall. Interesting beer. Another coffee stout, how inventive.

Here we go, another beer that proves that Iowa doesn't suck. It's just a coincidence that the Mississippi river flows southernly in it's direction. RedBand Coffee Stout from Great River Brewing of Davenport, Iowa, and the notes go here:

Great River RedBand Stout Brewed with Coffee.

Full-on blackness in this stout. Full head drifts down and departs, finishing as a tight cocoa-tinged ring.

Fresh coffee notes in the aroma, some hints of cocoa, dry and richly roasty.

Taste: Impeccable. Full-bodied, flush with coffee flavor. Long finish. Not a thing lacking in this. What more to say, what to say, what to say…there's a stout, it's full of coffee, the coffee is a little sweet, and a little bitter, and wonderfully balanced.

Never too this, not a bit too that. Floats down the throat with ease, only thing to watch out for is the caffeine. Little bit of blackberry and other fruit in the flavor, small sweetness turns dry and roasty with a quickness.

Nothing shy, nothing held back, all good in the neighborhood.

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Davesway10 for sending me this in the Birthday BIF. Poured from a 16 oz. can into my Belga Café tulip.

a - Pours a pitch black color with two fingers of dark tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Head lasts for several minutes and leaves an inch of head throughout drinking it. No real lacing. An awesome looking stout.

s - Smells of coffee grinds, roasted malts, vanilla, dark bitter chocolate, toasted malts, and espresso. Really nice nose, the coffee smell is very fresh and strong.

t - Tastes of coffee grinds, espresso, vanilla and cream, roasted malts, light milk chocolate, bakers chocolate, light smoke, and light earthy notes. Coffee isn't quite as strong as the nose, but more cream/vanilla. Still very nice.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Super smooth and creamy and not too thick. Insanely easy to drink.

o - Overall I have to say, I really liked this one; I thought it was a fantastic coffee stout. Looks great and has a near perfect body. The nose is great and full of fresh coffee. While the coffee in the taste isn't as powerful as some other coffee stouts I've had, I still really liked this one. Very easy to drink and would certainly like to get more of this one. Thanks Dave!

3.16/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

6% ABV confirmed. 16 fl oz aluminum can with appealing label art served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Acquired from the very generous Duff27 in a trade. "Stout with Coffee added." 36 IBUs. I don't see a bottled on date. Expectations are high; I enjoyed their Hop*A*Potamus and Duff27 recommended this as a coffee-forward stout.

Served chilled and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a gorgeous dark chocolatey tan head reminiscent of hot cocoa. Three finger height, with great cream and thickness, and very good (8+ minute) retention. Light lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Body colour is a solid nontransparent opaque black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Right on the money for a coffee stout, but the head colour is strange; it's dark but lacks the richness of the great coffee stouts I've seen. Hm. In any case, I'm excited to try it.

Sm: Chocolate, chocolate malt, light roast, and coffee. Little coffee roast; it definitely does seem cold-pressed. Rich coffee bean with a bit of bitterness. Light earthiness. No real cream. Chocolate isn't particularly evocative. The coffee isn't all that special either, at least compared to the great coffee stouts I've had before. Lightly burnt. Dark malts. A moderate strength aroma that isn't really selling me on the quality of the coffee. Quite assertive, but it lacks the rich creamy character of more appealing coffee stout aromas. Still, I'm looking forward to trying it. More coffee (and bitterness) comes through as it warms.

T: Hm. Metallic - its largest flaw. Coffee is definitely cold-pressed; it's got none of the roast, richness, or creaminess I want and a lot of the bitterness I hate about coffee. Little chocolate comes through at all. Boy, I'm not big on that bitterness on the climax; it destroys the balance. Caramel. Ugh, that bitterness just isn't balanced at all and adds nothing good in terms of flavour. No yeast or alcohol comes through. I'm not real big on this coffee stout, admittedly. To be honest, they do meet their goal of brewing a coffee stout reminiscent of iced coffee, but then I don't really like iced coffee. I appreciate what they're doing, but this one isn't really for me. I'm more a breakfast coffee stout kind of person. Lacks complexity and subtlety. It's not quite one note, but it's certainly simple.

Mf: Weak. Lightly undercarbonated. Smooth and wet. Lacks adequate body. Cream is sorely sorely missed here. Presence on the palate is decent. A missed opportunity.

Dr: Mainly will love this, and I wish I was one of them. But this just isn't what I want from a coffee stout; it lacks the subtlety and richness of something like Founder's Breakfast Stout or Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast/Brunch Weasel. The iced coffee emphasis really kills it for me, but that's probably just my personal tastes. If you want a bitter coffee stout redolent of iced coffee with little balance, this may be the beer for you. I'm glad to have tried it and will have little trouble finishing this pint, but I won't seek it out in the future. Thanks for the opportunity to try this, Duff27!

As it warmed, I came to like it more and more. But its main flaws still remained. Serve a hair below room temperature.

C+

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Pours an opaque jet black in color with just the slightest hint of dark brown when held up to the light - this beer is very thick looking when poured. The beer has a finger tall dark mocha head that reduces to a thick film covering the entire surface of the beer with a slightly thicker ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Strong aromas of freshly roasted coffee, freshly ground coffee, and freshly brewed coffee - the smell of this beer is all about the coffee. Smells wonderful.

T: Similar to the smell, the taste is dominated by coffee - there is the smooth flavor of freshly brewed coffee along with some hints of espresso bitterness. Additionally there are lighter flavors of dark roasted malts.

M: Full bodied with light to moderate amounts of carbonation. Thick and smooth.

O: This beer has a wonderful flavor and aroma - this beer just screams out as being perfect for a weekend brunch. I really enjoyed this beer and will be happy to drink the rest of this 4 pack in the not too distant future. Easy to drink and sessionable. I put this on par with Mikkeler Beer Geek Breakfast but is significantly cheaper...

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

I am grateful to whomever sent this to me (I think that it was GraniteSkunk, but I am unsure) in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM)! I mentioned in an earlier review today that coffee and grapefruit juice really give me a re-energizing jolt on hangover mornings and I started with a grapefruit juice-like IPA and now it is time for some java.

From the CAN: "Redband Stout"; Keepin' It Local"; "Keeping the 'C' in Craft Beer"; "Legendary Craft Brews Made in the Quad Cities"; "We love our local roaster's New Orleans Iced Coffee so much we decided to use their beans in our brew. Redband Stout is made with Indonesian and Ethiopian beans using our 18-hour cold brew extraction method, resulting in a satisfying brew with intense coffee aromatics. The marriage of two of our favorite beverages." Hear, hear!

Man, oh man, you CANnot be afraid of the dark if you are having this one! The Crack & Glug looked like high viscosity motor oil flowing from the CAN and into the glass. I was faced with three fingers of high-density, deep brown head with excellent retention. The nose was deeply roasty and very coffee-like, nutty, chocolaty, intensely bitter, just the way I like my morning coffee. Cue Moe of Sam's Saloon in Oxnard, CA - "Woody likes his coffee like he likes his women - hot, black and bitter." Ha! Hey, just because my bed had resembled the United Nations over the years does not mean you gotta be hatin' on me! Color was a deep, dense black that allowed so little light retention that I could only catch some ruby highlights at the edges. The back of my skull popped off with the first sip. Holy Iced Coffee, Batman! It was as intense as any coffee stout that I had ever tasted and it was kicking my ass into high gear. Dang, but this could easily be breakfast beer! Finish was dusty, like they may have saturated the beer with coffee, not to suggest that I had a problem, just sayin'. Okay, is my heart supposed to feel like it is going to jump out of my chest? Zounds!

Final thoughts: Redband is the name of their local coffee roasters, but just like for movie trailers, this Redband is for mature drinkers only. Whew!

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from the can into my Dogfish Head snifter. Much thanks to Woodychandler off we go!

A real nice light cocoa brown and creamy head is made off the pour. Good retention on this, and sitting on a dark walnut brown body. Looks fairly solid.

Simple coffee roast on the nose, a little airy malt backbone, going with a nice sense of classic light bodied coffee stout sensation coming. Still fairly solid and very enjoyable.

I really like this interesting fizz action on this for the mouthfeel. It's at first kind of jarring and I expected it to really take away from the pleasure of enjoying the beer, but it seems to enhance it. Tight fizz action seem to elevate classic char and mild roast coffee in the mid palate. It comes off as a nice coffee malted soda in a way, but still maintaining a true beer identity.

Overall very nice and more importantly, I found this beer actually quite fun to drink. Nice job!

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Pounder can (16 oz) sent to me as an extra from Dave, thanks! Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Thick, motor oil looking dark brown almost damn near black body coming out. A foamy, rocky medium brown head forms and leaves great lacing around the glass. Nice coating retention cap is left behind, too.

S: Fresh pressed coffee, roast, chocolate, caramel and some milled dark malts. There's a bit of bitterness that mixes with a slight sweetness. That said, it's not overly aromatic - certainly the coffee is there but it masks a lot of the other aromas.

T: Medium roast coffee beans, cream and some bitter notes up front. Dark chocolate, dark malts and a bit of sweet sugar towards the back end. This is really nice and flavorful while striking a great balance between the coffee and the stout base.

M: Nicely carbonated but not too much giving this lower ABV stout a really nice full feeling. It's creamy, smooth but very easy drinking. A little bitter in the finish but this is good stuff.

This was really nice, I found myself putting the glass down and picking it right back up. It sort of begs to keep sipping on. Certainly one you must try if coffee-infused beers are ones you enjoy.

3.25/5  rDev -20%

16 oz. can poured into a British pint glass. Thanks to GraniteSkunk for this one.

Appearance - Pours black with a small mocha head. Not much retention and it only retains a bit of foam and a ring. No lacing.

Smell - Coffee. That's about it. If I struggle I can get some chocolate, but I might even be making that up.

Taste - A little better than the smell. Starts off dry and roasty that comes off very bitter. The coffee comes out and dominates the flavor. The finish is reminds me of oatmeal, but I can't find any indication of it on the label. Low bitterness and a little grainy.

Mouthfeel - Slick but not thick. The finish rests on the tongue leaving a malt flavor unlike the rest of the beer. Bitter, but only from the coffee. Medium carbonation and pretty thin.

Overall - It's a decent stout, but average in most respects. I can barely taste the stout behind the coffee, so it's tough to say it's good. Drinkable but not exciting in any way.

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Robbie for this can. Poured in to tulip.

A - Poured dark black with one finger of cocoa brown head.

S - Big bitter coffee aroma up front with roast and sweet molasses notes.

T - Lots of roast and dark roasted coffee. Fairly big sweetness with hints of molasses and chocolate. The finish is dry and bitter.

M - Medium body. Creamy. Light carbonation.

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Alright, this is a first. A couple of weeks ago a package arrived from cpolking including this beer. The very next day my main man, woodychandler makes an unexpected visit to my job with a bag of beers, incliding this one. I was destined to try this beer! Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of coffee, roasted malts. Taste is very espresso like, some malts, this would be great in the morning as opposed to around midnight, which is when I cracked this beer. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is a high quality beer.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

Can/extra courtesy of mcqwire756. Pours extremely dark for a standard stout - looks like an imperial stout. Pitch black with a thick tan head that leaves tons of lacing.

Aroma is fresh coffee beans, heavily roasted black malts and some light bakers chocolate. But, really, it's about the coffee. Not the craziest coffee forward aroma ever, but it's definitely top 5.

The taste has lots of coffee but also has more of the lactose sweetness which really makes this taste like an iced latte. The finish is bitter and roasty. Good flavor profile, but kind of one note.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied for the style. Good carbonation and roasty overall. Would have liked a little more body here to make it taste more like a beer and less like straight coffee.

Overall, this was a pleasant surprise. It has a nice flavor but it relatively one noted. If you like extremely coffee forward beers you will enjoy this, especially for the low price point. Probably not in the league of Central Waters Coffee Stout or Dark Horse Tres or even Coffee Bender, but it's not far behind.

Redband Stout from Great River Brewery