Redband Stout - Great River Brewery

Great River Brewery visit their website
Iowa, United States

American Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Vdubb86 on 02-20-2011

Cold pressed Redband Coffee Company espresso beans infused into our milk stout. A big stout where a dark rich chocolate milk meets premium cold pressed coffee.
« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
4.75/5  rDev +17%

pours dark dark brown looks black in the glass big pillowy tan mocha head with good retention and left lacing all down the glass

smells of coffee dark roasted malt a little chocolate

taste is absolutely amazing when did founders start canning FBS light - first let me say this might be the best tasting coffee i have ever had in a beer - coffee milk chocolate cream and sugar

mouthfeel is medium light body good amount of carbonation that makes it feel fuller

overall - how could it not be a 5 - one of the best coffee stout canned (16oz) lower abv without losing any flavor

4.59/5  rDev +13.1%

I am grateful to whomever sent this to me (I think that it was GraniteSkunk, but I am unsure) in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM)! I mentioned in an earlier review today that coffee and grapefruit juice really give me a re-energizing jolt on hangover mornings and I started with a grapefruit juice-like IPA and now it is time for some java.

From the CAN: "Redband Stout"; Keepin' It Local"; "Keeping the 'C' in Craft Beer"; "Legendary Craft Brews Made in the Quad Cities"; "We love our local roaster's New Orleans Iced Coffee so much we decided to use their beans in our brew. Redband Stout is made with Indonesian and Ethiopian beans using our 18-hour cold brew extraction method, resulting in a satisfying brew with intense coffee aromatics. The marriage of two of our favorite beverages." Hear, hear!

Man, oh man, you CANnot be afraid of the dark if you are having this one! The Crack & Glug looked like high viscosity motor oil flowing from the CAN and into the glass. I was faced with three fingers of high-density, deep brown head with excellent retention. The nose was deeply roasty and very coffee-like, nutty, chocolaty, intensely bitter, just the way I like my morning coffee. Cue Moe of Sam's Saloon in Oxnard, CA - "Woody likes his coffee like he likes his women - hot, black and bitter." Ha! Hey, just because my bed had resembled the United Nations over the years does not mean you gotta be hatin' on me! Color was a deep, dense black that allowed so little light retention that I could only catch some ruby highlights at the edges. The back of my skull popped off with the first sip. Holy Iced Coffee, Batman! It was as intense as any coffee stout that I had ever tasted and it was kicking my ass into high gear. Dang, but this could easily be breakfast beer! Finish was dusty, like they may have saturated the beer with coffee, not to suggest that I had a problem, just sayin'. Okay, is my heart supposed to feel like it is going to jump out of my chest? Zounds!

Final thoughts: Redband is the name of their local coffee roasters, but just like for movie trailers, this Redband is for mature drinkers only. Whew!

3.26/5  rDev -19.7%

poured from 16oz can into imperial pint glass

A-poured almost black with a 1 finger head that left a little lacing as it faded

S-coffee first and the is no second, all coffe smell here

T-much like the smell coffee is about all that I get for the taste also

M-carbonation is good but not as creamy as some stouts

O-ok for the coffee fan, but if you don't like coffee it may be tough to enjoy this one

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Only a mouth-full left, damn. I have really enjoyed this. It took several pours to get it to fit into a 16 ounce nonic tumbler. Beautiful rich mocha head on top of a pitch black, thick body. Subtle, but nice coffee roasty toasty nose...appealing if not quite compelling. Great balance in its flavors that mimic its nose while adding a bit of bitter hops at the end to finish each sip. Slight sweetness balanced by coffee and hop bitterness. In the mouth the stout is as it should be, if not a nice bit thicker and more viscous. Appearance score would have been higher if the beer had kept more of its head and left a bit of lace. I really enjoyed this. I drank most while cleaning; poured it and left it on the kitchen counter and took a sip each time I passed through...about an hour and a half.

cheers

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured a nice deep black with a thin yet sticky dark brown head.

The smell is all coffee here, very deep and strong almost espresso strength only with a bit more bitterness.

The flavor follows the smell very closely, tons of coffee flavor with a mild roasted malt backbone, a bit of astringency comes through the more you drink it and it becomes apparent that the coffee end of this beer is very good, but overwhelming the base beer a bit.

The mouthfeel is a bit thin, a bit to much coffee here lightening up the mouthfeel.

Not bad, a bit to much of the coffee and not quite enough beer, still worth a try though.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Dark brown close to black with a smallish foamy, bubbly, light, cafe colored head. Decent retention leaving patchy lace. Looks a lot like coffee. Looks pretty thick on the pour.

S - First whiff made me check that I didn't pour a can of coffee in my glass. Strong freshly brewed coffee aroma. In the back and with other sniffs, there is coffee bean/freshly ground coffee, touches of lactose sweetness, hints of cocoa and roasted malt.

T - Again, this is very strong on the coffee flavor, but the background flavors are stronger and better integrated than in the smell. Mocha with a stronger black coffee presence are the biggest flavors. Dark chocolate and hints of lactose/cream, and espresso flavors. Slightly bitter dark cocoa in the end. Lacks any of the bitter astringent coffee flavors you can get in a lot of coffee stouts. Very much like a nice iced coffee.

M - Full side of medium body. Good carbonation with a slick and slightly viscous feel. Very nice.

D - Very easy to drink. Not bitter and not too sweet. Flavors mix very well and everything is well incorporated. Could drink a number of these easily.

Notes: If you like coffee, you'll love this. Wow. This is a great coffee stout. It may be a little strong on the coffee and you'll forget you are drinking beer and think you are drinking an iced coffee, but it is delicious none the less. Completely devoid of the bitter astringency I get in some coffee beers. Just wonderful overall. Recommend getting this. I'll definitely being picking up more while I'm still in Iowa.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured out a 16oz can. Black as night on the pour. Looks like motor oil. The head a dark tan and disappears fast.

Smells just like an iced coffee, and not one of those phony baloney milkshake with coffee, I'm talking real iced coffee.

Tastes like an iced coffee too. The carbonation and black licorice notes make it taste a bit like a root beer coffee mix.

A little bit thinner than I expected with some surprisingly fun bubbles. A very enjoyable beer. Kind of wish it came in a 12oz can because 16oz is a bit much to drink of this black out coffee stout. Hopefully I'm not up all night from the coffee.

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from 16-oz can into a pint glass.

A - Pours deep black and completely opaque. Has a finger of cinnamon colored head with good retention and impressive lacing.

S - Dark, rich coffee beans are expectedly a big part of the nose of this beer. I also get a hint of sharp, burnt grains and some mild caramel. No hop aroma, but that's not unheard of in many stouts.

T - Strong, french roast coffee up front. Not astringent or overly bitter like I have experienced with some coffee stouts. There is also a good backbone of lighter malt sweetness and an acidic touch toward the middle. Dark, bitter cocoa comes through in the middle and lasts through to the finish. Only critique is that I could go for even a little more coffee (then again, I'm a coffee addict, so it's probably all relative).

M - Medium body with appropriate carbonation (too much and I've noticed coffee stouts become a little sharp). Somewhat dry finish with a pleasant lingering coating of stout flavor after each sip.

Overall - excellent take on a coffee stout. The coffee was expertly integrated into this beer--great, rich aroma; not overly-sharp taste. Easily one of my favorite offerings from Great River so far.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Alright, this is a first. A couple of weeks ago a package arrived from cpolking including this beer. The very next day my main man, woodychandler makes an unexpected visit to my job with a bag of beers, incliding this one. I was destined to try this beer! Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of coffee, roasted malts. Taste is very espresso like, some malts, this would be great in the morning as opposed to around midnight, which is when I cracked this beer. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is a high quality beer.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Another beer from a great brewery that supported the Midwest Brewers Fest. Poured into my New Holland Pint glass. Pours a jet black with a deep mocha, rocky head of about two fingers. Head is very slow to drop with some nice lacing.

Aromas of dark roast coffee, dark roast malt, dark cocoa, chocolate milk. No hops to speak of.

Flavors of dark mocha latte, coffee, cocoa and dark roast malt. Finish is medium, with milk chocolate and dark roast coffee lingering.

Mouthfeel is creamy, medium bodied, nice level of carbonation.

Overall an outstanding coffee stout.

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Sure looks like a stout: black as a cream-less pot of joe--with a dark-brown head; decent retention and wonderful lacing

S: Is this beer? Dark smokey roasted espresso beans and hints of chocolate dominate the aromas with just a faint touch of alcohol and malted grains--possibly some dark fruits too underneath that coffee

T: This is some tasty coffee...er beer; rich and dark coffee: espresso that is a bit earthy and musty with a touch of chocolate; also some faint dark fruity elements on the back end that end up mingling nicely with the espresso beans

F: So creamy; this beer just parks and takes a nap right there in your mouth

O: What a find. What a fine coffee stout. Seriously, everyone, this is a kick ass coffee stout and it's in a can--thank you, thank you, thank you, Great River!

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 16 oz can into a willi glass

Pours pitch black with a drawn out cascade effect. Two inches of thick brown head. Stellar head retention. Many small bubbles interspersed within the fluffy head.

Smells of dark roasted coffee beans and sweet chocolaty malt. It resembles a chilled cappuccino. Bittersweet and deeply aromatic. One of the best coffee aromas I've ever smelled in a beer.

Roasted whole coffee beans followed by a more intense ground coffee surge. Fantastic milky sweetness balances out the bitter coffee. Sweet malt, chocolate and lactose sugar are perfectly layered in to create one of the more bold and flavorful coffee that I've had the privilege to drink.

Thick, full bodied mouthfeel that's just as creamy as an authentic Italian espresso. Moderate carbonation. The alcohol is hardly noticeable as this one goes down smooth and easy.

Redband is one of the top five coffee beers that I've had. It may even be on my all time greats list. Dark roasted coffee infused with a creamy sweet milk stout makes this beer bold, balanced and delicious. A must try for coffee beer lovers and worth seeking out whenever possible.

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pour is thick and opaque, nearly black with no highlights. Two fingers of brown head that quickly fade to a thin but persistent film. Minimal lacing. The aroma packs a wollop, falling somewhere between a dark roasted coffee and an iced mocha.

Almost tastes more like coffee than beer. The dark malts are there, but the coffee definitely plays center stage in this one. If there are hops here, they're well hidden; the bitterness tastes like it's all coming from the astringency of the espresso. Medium to heavy in body, though perhaps just a tad lighter than expected. The moderate carbonation really helps the strong aromatics come out.

It's good to see such a good coffee stout coming out of a local brewery, and not have to rely on super limited releases like Kentucky or Bourbon County Breakfast Stout. If they start barrel aging this stuff, I'll buy it by the case. If there's a criticism, it's that this is a beer that probably doesn't need to come in a 16 oz. can.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

A - Pours out as a luscious dark brown with a moderate head

S - Smells of coffee and dark, rich chocolate

T - I almost thought I was drinking a delicious alcoholic coffee. Thats not a bad thing, though, because the taste is incredibly delicious. It doesn't taste artificial at all; it's a perfect combination of the coffee flavors with beer

M - The carbonation doesn't jump out which lets you enjoy the flavor and helps bring the coffee feeling to the forefront.

O - This is an excellent coffee stout that is something to savor. You won't be overwhelmed by the flavor because Great River has successfully utilized the coffee without ruining the fact that you are still drinking a beer. Enjoy this if you can get ahold of it.

4.39/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 16 oz can into a Unibroue tulip.

A: Pours an opaque, dark brown with one-half finger of dark tan head. Some retention but not much lace.

S: Coffee aromas are prominent with good sweet chocolate and roasted malt behind. Smells promising.

T: Leads with dry chocolate, light but satisfying flavor, turns a bit toward coffee at the end, but the coffee does not overpower the flavor. Very tasty. Some sweetness emerges after the first few sips, also some of the citrus hops a little later.

M: Pretty smooth, not too heavy but a bit thinner than I was hoping for.

O: Really a nice beer, still trying to figure out how the coffee is so prominent in the smell without overpowering the flavor. Very glad to see this in cans, hoping Great River can continue to bring more of their beer to us this way.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

Tried this stout at a fundraiser at Niabi zoo in Coal Valley, Illinois. It was absolutely fantastic - the fundraiser AND the beer. I'm a stout fan, so this particularly attracted me at the event. As soon as it was poured I was impressed by the mocha color of the head and how absolutely jet black it was.

The coffee aroma comes through immediately in the smell and the taste and becomes a perfect partner to the roastiness of the brew. It was incredibly hot that day and I'm not entirely sure this is the best beer for hot weather. I'd like to try it again on a cooler day. Still, Great River Brewery has a new fan. I'm sending all my stout-fan friends to this beer. Thanks!

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

Presentation: 16oz can; label is on a plastic wrapper around the can. At first, I thought, meh, kinda-cheap looking, but the more I thought of it, if cheaper packaging means lower-priced beer, I'm all in.

Appearance: Poured into my Riggwelter imperial pint glass. This is the darkest, blackest stout I've ever seen, outside of the imperial stout category. It looks practically viscous. Damn, a molasses-like 6% stout? I'm in. Capped by a dark tan head with good retention.

Smell: Tons of up front coffee aroma: rich, dark, creamy, and vibrant. Some earthy hop notes in the background as well, but this is ALL about coffee. Oh. And chocolate. Milk chocolate.

Taste: Rich coffee. One of the most coffee-forward coffee stouts I've ever had. In this way, it's similar to Schlafly Coffee Stout. What's different from Schlafly's offering, however, is that this one's brewed with lactose. Thus, although it's an espresso stout, it's got a rich, vibrant premium mocha flavor that's quite different from Schlafly's sharp (albeit pleasant) espresso kick. What we have here is a really nice blend of (lots of) coffee, milk chocolate, and a touch of cream. Bitterness is medium (36 IBUs, I believe). Let me be frank; this is one of the BEST coffee stouts I've ever had. I don't feel that I can give it a 5, however, as there's not a lot of malt/hop depth under the great coffee flavors.

Mouthfeel: Rich, creamy, and wonderful, esp. for 6% abv.

Overall: What an unexpected suprise from the Quad Cities...I may have to see if I can have my parents score me some more of this from back home!

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Served in a Half Acre shaker pint glass.

Thanks to VDubb86 for sharing this random growler!

Brewed with a local coffee. Right on. it pours a straight onyx topped by a finger of light tan foam. The nose comprises a beastly amount of coffee and a side dish of roasted malts. That is it. Straight up. The taste doesn't really bring anything new to the table, though it seems like the roasted malts have developed a sort of rudimentary collective backbone (though are still held in perpetual check by the coffee), and some light dark chocolate seems to have wormed its way in the door. The body is a hefty medium, with a light carbonation and a rather smooth feel. Overall, a nice coffee stout, though the coffee comes across to me as slightly o'erpowering. This isn't that bad a situation, but I'm not as big a coffee fan as others.

4.54/5  rDev +11.8%

Served in a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint Glass

Thanks to GraniteSkunk for this growler.

This beer pours a nice black color with a tan foam on the surface. This beer smell of wonderful nice lovely espresso. God damn! This beer is coffee, I smell nothing but coffee. From the aroma I assume that there is coffee in my glass. The taste is highly coffee, but there is a nice roast with a dark chocolate backer to it. The taste is of a wonderful coffee flavor. There is enough sweetness to make me happy, and this is by far the best coffee stout that I have EVER HAD. I'm so happy that I've gotten to try this beer. This is so easy to drink. It's one of the better beers that I've had the good fortune to have tried.

« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »