Redband Stout - Great River Brewery

Redband StoutRedband Stout

Great River Brewery visit their website
Iowa, United States

American Stout |  6.00% ABV

Cold pressed Redband Coffee Company espresso beans infused into our milk stout. A big stout where a dark rich chocolate milk meets premium cold pressed coffee.

(Beer added by: Vdubb86 on 02-20-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
AmericanGothic

Iowa

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 16 oz can into a Unibroue tulip.

A: Pours an opaque, dark brown with one-half finger of dark tan head. Some retention but not much lace.

S: Coffee aromas are prominent with good sweet chocolate and roasted malt behind. Smells promising.

T: Leads with dry chocolate, light but satisfying flavor, turns a bit toward coffee at the end, but the coffee does not overpower the flavor. Very tasty. Some sweetness emerges after the first few sips, also some of the citrus hops a little later.

M: Pretty smooth, not too heavy but a bit thinner than I was hoping for.

O: Really a nice beer, still trying to figure out how the coffee is so prominent in the smell without overpowering the flavor. Very glad to see this in cans, hoping Great River can continue to bring more of their beer to us this way.

Serving type: can

08-02-2011 23:36:58 | More by AmericanGothic
Stargazer182ia

Iowa

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Tried this stout at a fundraiser at Niabi zoo in Coal Valley, Illinois. It was absolutely fantastic - the fundraiser AND the beer. I'm a stout fan, so this particularly attracted me at the event. As soon as it was poured I was impressed by the mocha color of the head and how absolutely jet black it was.

The coffee aroma comes through immediately in the smell and the taste and becomes a perfect partner to the roastiness of the brew. It was incredibly hot that day and I'm not entirely sure this is the best beer for hot weather. I'd like to try it again on a cooler day. Still, Great River Brewery has a new fan. I'm sending all my stout-fan friends to this beer. Thanks!

08-01-2011 22:43:10 | More by Stargazer182ia
BedetheVenerable

Missouri

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%

Presentation: 16oz can; label is on a plastic wrapper around the can. At first, I thought, meh, kinda-cheap looking, but the more I thought of it, if cheaper packaging means lower-priced beer, I'm all in.

Appearance: Poured into my Riggwelter imperial pint glass. This is the darkest, blackest stout I've ever seen, outside of the imperial stout category. It looks practically viscous. Damn, a molasses-like 6% stout? I'm in. Capped by a dark tan head with good retention.

Smell: Tons of up front coffee aroma: rich, dark, creamy, and vibrant. Some earthy hop notes in the background as well, but this is ALL about coffee. Oh. And chocolate. Milk chocolate.

Taste: Rich coffee. One of the most coffee-forward coffee stouts I've ever had. In this way, it's similar to Schlafly Coffee Stout. What's different from Schlafly's offering, however, is that this one's brewed with lactose. Thus, although it's an espresso stout, it's got a rich, vibrant premium mocha flavor that's quite different from Schlafly's sharp (albeit pleasant) espresso kick. What we have here is a really nice blend of (lots of) coffee, milk chocolate, and a touch of cream. Bitterness is medium (36 IBUs, I believe). Let me be frank; this is one of the BEST coffee stouts I've ever had. I don't feel that I can give it a 5, however, as there's not a lot of malt/hop depth under the great coffee flavors.

Mouthfeel: Rich, creamy, and wonderful, esp. for 6% abv.

Overall: What an unexpected suprise from the Quad Cities...I may have to see if I can have my parents score me some more of this from back home!

Serving type: can

07-31-2011 01:07:09 | More by BedetheVenerable
TMoney2591

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Served in a Half Acre shaker pint glass.

Thanks to VDubb86 for sharing this random growler!

Brewed with a local coffee. Right on. it pours a straight onyx topped by a finger of light tan foam. The nose comprises a beastly amount of coffee and a side dish of roasted malts. That is it. Straight up. The taste doesn't really bring anything new to the table, though it seems like the roasted malts have developed a sort of rudimentary collective backbone (though are still held in perpetual check by the coffee), and some light dark chocolate seems to have wormed its way in the door. The body is a hefty medium, with a light carbonation and a rather smooth feel. Overall, a nice coffee stout, though the coffee comes across to me as slightly o'erpowering. This isn't that bad a situation, but I'm not as big a coffee fan as others.

Serving type: growler

02-20-2011 23:55:01 | More by TMoney2591
Vdubb86

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%

Served in a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint Glass

Thanks to GraniteSkunk for this growler.

This beer pours a nice black color with a tan foam on the surface. This beer smell of wonderful nice lovely espresso. God damn! This beer is coffee, I smell nothing but coffee. From the aroma I assume that there is coffee in my glass. The taste is highly coffee, but there is a nice roast with a dark chocolate backer to it. The taste is of a wonderful coffee flavor. There is enough sweetness to make me happy, and this is by far the best coffee stout that I have EVER HAD. I'm so happy that I've gotten to try this beer. This is so easy to drink. It's one of the better beers that I've had the good fortune to have tried.

Serving type: growler