Copper Ale - Great River Brewery

Great River Brewery visit their website
Iowa, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: drpimento on 07-27-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

Nebraska

07-29-2012 17:15:00 | More by lvoutlawjlh
Duff27

3.75/5  rDev +11.9%

A- Half inch small fizzed white head on a dull amber. Collar and cap left. Some lacing left.

S- Has a sweet, rich caramel scent, I like it.

T- Follows the nose very well. Caramel maltiness well integrated with minimal hop presence, balanced. Bready. Very sessionable at this ABV.

M- Medium mouthfeel (full for the low ABV of the style), medium carbonation.

D/O- Pint was gone before I knew it, very drinkable! Another solid brew from Great River.

07-20-2012 02:00:58 | More by Duff27
langfot99

12-29-2011 14:19:28 | More by langfot99
woodychandler

4.5/5  rDev +34.3%

I do what I CAN and I wish that I could CAN what I do, but I do love beer in a CAN and so I am the originator of The CANQuest (TM), a journey to attempt to try every beer in a CAN, which is like trying to reach the end of the Internet. I have been photographed and interviewed to the point of saturation (for some, others CANnot get enough of the madness) and CANned beer CANtinues to arrive unabated. I think that this came to me from GraniteSkunk and the only reason that I CAN't remember is that it took so daggum long to get the picture approved. My memory is shorter than my member in my advancing age, as evidenced by the laughter emanating from last night's lucky winner. Oh well.

From the CAN: " Street Fest Copper Ale"; "Not everyone wins a gold, but everyone gets a Copper"; "40th Annual Bix Street Fest Copper Ale"; "Legendary Craft Brews Made in the Quad Cities"; "You've trained hard and the run is over, now it's time to relax and enjoy a Street Fest Copper Ale, brewed especially for the Bix week-end. Hand-crafted in a limited volume, you'll find Street Fest Copper Ale to be smooth, refreshing and light enough to keep you on your feet. Everyone wins with a Copper!"

Jeez, how did I end up with these?!? I CAN't believe it. I feel honored, privileged and unworthy, all at once. Let's have a review, shall we?

The CAN was literally brim-full and gave a short burst on the Crack. The Glug produced a finger of dense, tawny head with decent retention. The color was the shade of reddish copper that fuels my dreams. My ultimate G/F will have a carpet that matches the drapes and they will both be of this shade. Like a shiny new penny. I had one, once, in SoCal and she got away, dang it! Beautiful. The clarity was also picture perfect, allowing me to literally read the Sunday Comics, which is the gauge for NE-quality clarity. I really like "Zits". Nose was malty and fairly sweet, but so it goes with the style. Mmm, mouthfeel was fuller than expected and the level of bitterness was both unexpected and welcome. It was not sweet at all, but instead, kind of citrusy-bitter on the tongue. Double dang! 4.8% and 25 IBUs?!? It tasted like more to me. Finish was semi-dry and left me with a hankering to visit Davenport, IA again.

CAN you say that? Have you ever been? I have and I love looking at the Mississippi River. I love water, period. That is one of the few aspects of the Navy that I miss since my retirement - the underway time. I gotta get a TV show like Anthony Bourdain that will allow me to sail around again.

10-16-2011 13:45:59 | More by woodychandler
tone77

3.15/5  rDev -6%

Thanks to the can man, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a copper color with a 1 inch head. Smell is mild, some malts. Taste is also mild, hops, a touch of malts, finishing bitter, a rather subdued flavor. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a decent beer.

08-23-2011 15:04:51 | More by tone77
biglobo8971

2.85/5  rDev -14.9%

poured from can into tulip. The best thing I can say about this beer is the color, nice amber almost glowing. This is taken a back from the lack of head and lacing, minimal on both. The smell is almost non existent, had to bury my nose deep in the glass to pick up the faintest of smells, and even then, cant describe the aroma. The taste is ok, not bad, but nothing to get excited about, just ok. If there wasnt anything ele to drink, I wouldnt have a problem with this as the only beer of choice. But if I have other craft options, this one would not be one of the ones that I choose.

08-08-2011 22:25:14 | More by biglobo8971
drpimento

Wisconsin

3.25/5  rDev -3%

Got this at our hotel up the street from the GRB. Poured with an average sized, thick, creamy, long lasting, light tan colored head and good lace. Color is a clear medium amber with lots of bubble trails. Aroma is malt, caramel, a little hops. Flavor is similar with bitterness up front yielding to a touch of sweetness in the fin. Body is good and so is carbonation. Finish is like flavor and has about average length for a beer of this style.. Not a bad brew. I'm looking forward to the 483 PA.

07-27-2011 23:44:26 | More by drpimento