Bone-A-Fide Pale Ale - Boneyard Beer Company

Boneyard Beer Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

38 IBUs

(Beer added by: beertunes on 07-03-2010)

4.85/5  rDev +16%

A: Pours a cloudy deep golden color with a nice fluffy white cap, almost a little dirty white cap, some good head retention, lacing clings to the glass in waves down the glass as I continue to drink

S: Big floral nose, with healthy doses of citrus and passion fruits with a nice dose of bread

T: Big citrus, tropical and passion fruit chiming in; mainly in the ways of pineapple, mangos and grapefruits. So good. This beer has so much going on, taste buds go bananas.

M: Balanced West Coast APA, lots of dank and malt balance.

O: Probably the best West Coast APA ever, tied with Zombie Dust.

4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one is tough to review.

No, not because I'm confused in any way as to how great this beer is. No ... great would be an understatement. But this would be a great IPA, nevermind a pale!

It pours a shade of sun touched honey that makes me want to taste it the instant I see it. Head is minimal. Nice lacing left behind. This color always tells me the finish won't be too sweet for a pale or IPA and I'm not wrong.

One whiff and my nose is nearly assaulted by the scent of orange rind, mango, tangerine, and peach. Lovely. There's some biscuit there too but it seems to be fighting for recognition amongst all the tropical fruit.

One sip releases the floodgates of orange, grapefruit, pine needles, caramel, and again, biscuit. Bravo!

A lot has changed over the years. There was a time when the east coast by and large didn't have the taste for hops we out west do. They've caught on a bit but I feel like this would be a bit extreme for an east coaster looking for a pale. For me, it is nearly exactly what I want. This beer should set the standard for a Northwest Pale Ale.

4.43/5  rDev +6%

On tap at E9 the other day.

The beer pours the expected amber peach color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is about what I expected as well, considering this beer is made by boneyard, as I pick up considerable dry citrus, light pine, pepper and skunky weed. Most IPA's I encounter don't smell this good. The flavor profile replicates the nose in this dry, hopheads dream of an APA. In some ways, this beer reminds me very much of zombie dust, though the aroma profile is a bit different. Mouthfeel is fairly light, though there's no denying that the beer delivers plenty of flavor. The finish is long, crisp and bitter, and despite my better instinctis, I found myself ordering a second glass before leaving E9. So yeah, drinkability is quite good in this excellent APA, and the alcohol was barely detectable.

An altogether excellent APA, and about what I would expect from Boneyard.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%