RPM IPA - Boneyard Beer Company

Boneyard Beer Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Beer added by: Docer on 08-04-2010

75 IBUs
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 648 | Reviews: 88

4.44/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

In Oregon there are many quality breweries, but Boneyard is quickly becoming my favorite brewery. Their IPA's are floral, balanced, and smooth.
Appearance- I thought I mispoured this into my Ruination Pint, since the beer had only a half finger's worth of head.

Nose- I was overpowered when I smelled the beer from my growler. I was also a bit disappointed when the citrus notes seemed to deaden after I poured it into my pint. As with all west coast IPA's this beer has grapefruit with some hints of lemon, followed by pine and resin.

Taste- This is my favorite beer to introduce to people because of its smoothness. It's ABV of 7.5% is barely noticeable. I detect some orange that ends with such a smooth finish, I am ready for another pint. It definitely has NW hop varieties in spades, but I am unable to detect a distinct hop here. I would guess Cascades and Simcoe.

Mouthfeel- I have had this multiple times before reviewing this beer. From a growler it tastes a bit syrupy and clean.

Drinkability- Smooth, crisp, refreshing, and a little bit of a dry finish. I could drink this whole grower in a night, if I didn't have to wake up at 7am.

Overall- This beer is my IPA standard and is quickly becoming the beer I always order.

4.89/5  rDev +12.4%

Had this along with some other IPAs in a sampler at the Taphouse Grill in Seattle. 6oz pour. This is a seriously underrated IPA. The smell and taste are fantastic. It's not too strong and it's very citrusy/fruity. I remember thinking it tasted like candy. It was just soo tasty. If you can find it try it, you won't be disappointed.
10/10

3.5/5  rDev -19.5%

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%

4.28/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance- I received this beer with about a finger's worth of head. The head is pure cotton white while the body is a pale amber that lightens to lemon when held up to the light. Leaves lacing in the form of lots of sheeting.

Nose- Mild but nice. Definite citrus which is primarily grapefruit that is followed by orange and lemon. Notes of pine and resin in the background. Pretty typical of an IPA. Swirling shows the citrus notes as bolder and more inviting.

Taste- Reflective of the nose. Lots of grapefruit, matchstick, fresh pine, and resin. The finish is filled with well rounded wood and spice. There is some earwax to the linger at the back of the throat. Some notes of caramel which are quite light and warm. Works very well with the citrus (especially the orange and lemon that occupy the middle with the malt bill). Very accessible IPA and the 7.5% is barely noticeable. Another reason why Boneyard has become such a sensation in Oregon. Some light pineapple and orange with an incredibly clean finish. The is definitely going to become a default beer when I see it on tap. I just wish they would get around to bottling, or canning, or whatever they intend to do. My guess for the hops are that there is, at the very least, some Amarillo and Meridian. Very mimosa, champagne like. Some honey as well.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied with healthy carbonation. Some syrup in the texture. 4 bucks for a pint is very reasonable for this beer.

Drinkability- Smooth, crisp, refreshing, and a little bit of a dry finish. Unbelievable for an IPA.

Overall- Very good to great beer. A must try. I am looking forward to having this beer again.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
RPM IPA from Boneyard Beer Company