Armored Fist Double CDA - Boneyard Beer Company

Oregon, United States

American Black Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Docer on 11-01-2010

80 IBUs

A collaboration with Three Floyds Brewing Co.
Reviews by LordAdmNelson:
4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

I'll call it a growler since this isn't bottled, but I had this guy hand-bottled from Tony. This is certainly a wow beer for me, great work again from the guys at Boneyard. This was a collaboration with the guys at Three Floyds and it really delivered.

Pours a deep brown color with amber edges and moderate tan head. No real lacing to speak of. Black in the center of the beer, but relatively mahogany-colored and transparent toward the edges. Not the blackest of the black IPAs I've had, but I'll let it slide because it is very pretty and a damn good beer.

Nose is hoppy as hell. Big piney, weedy hop notes hit hard, with some supporting sweeter citrus notes, lemon zest and such. A bit of malt under there too, but this is a hop bomb no doubt (FFF would make a hop bomb, and it's looking like Boneyard is moving that direction too).

Flavor shines in this guy. Really, this is one of the best beers I've had. I love the style, and these guys nailed it. The first black IPA that I've had since Stone SSR that is on par (or better) than Stone SSR. Big piney/weedy/earthy hops blast through on the front of the palate, with a wave of roasted malts coming through on the finish. Sometimes I get chocolate, others coffee/espresso, and still others some smokey notes. The malt bill is impressive, leaving a nice lingering smokey/chocolate/coffee/rye toast flavor. Love this beer.

Feel is pretty moderate to light... this is a very easy-drinking beer. Its 10+% ABV, but I swear it drinks like 6%. No booziness that I could notice. Huge beer, easy drink. Wow.

This might be blasphemy or way off base, but the hop bill in this really reminded me of Pliny the Elder. Imperial Black IPA version of PtE? Really, that's what I was thinking as I had this beer. Boneyard is the real deal.

EDIT: Also had this side-by-side with fresh Stone SSR. Armored Fist was the clear winner for all three of us tasting.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had on tap at Uber Tavern. Review from notes.

A: Dark brown with a small tan head on top. Quick reduction to a thin cap on top. Bits of lacing form on the glass.

S: Extremely hoppy. Lots of citrus, grapefruit, and tropical fruits. Very faint roast mixed in, but definitely dominated by the hops.

T: Similarly hoppy, which is fine by me. Was expecting more roast influence, but the tropical fruits are quite dominant. There is some grapefruit, pineapple, papaya with just a touch of chocolate and roast.

M: Medium bodied, surprised to find out it is 10%, certainly drinks a lot easier than that.

O: One of the best black ales I have had, and one that I would actually drink again.

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

64 oz. growler poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Dark brown. Murky. Khaki head. Nice collar and a wispy surface.

Smell - Big grapefruit and piney hop aroma. Some roasty malts, but it's all about the hops.

Taste - Still a huge hop flavor. Grapefruit hops. Roasted malt throughout. Never quite takes over, but just a bit of sweetness. Bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - Kinda light. Surprising for a 10% beer. I expected and wanted a little more body. The growler maintained the carbonation very well.

Overall - Not sure if it's because I've been drinking a lot of mediocre beer, but this is really nice.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

3.75/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.16/5  rDev -2.3%

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a day old growler into a pint glass.

Appearance: Poured 1 finger of dark brownish white head. A lot of alcohol lacing. Dark brown colour can see through slightly.

Smell: Wonderfully floral, hoppy aroma also quite caramelly.

Taste: Bitter hoppy taste balanced amazingly well with the caramel, toffee and coffee notes. Warmth without much of an alcohol taste. Intense flavours.

Mouthfeel: Quite thick and syrupy in a good way. Not highly carbonated, although I reviewed this a ways into the growler.

Overall: I like the Cascadian Dark Ale style a great deal and this double version is just a flavour bomb. Easy drinking at the alcohol content. Had me quite merry by stealth. I’m a huge fan of this beer and it was a highlight of my tasting at the Boneyard. Diablo Rojo was also a standout. Unfortunately Black 13 wasn’t available to try.

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

Had this at the meet the brewer event in PDX at the Green Dragon. Tony and Clay were some real stand up guys... and this beer was amazing.

- Nice black brew... fuzzy light mocha tan head... left a nice thin layer on top always...

- Super floral and citrus notes blended perfectly with lightly sweetened and roasted grains, oats, malts, bready.. cocoa, and some grassy herbal mad hops...

- What a smooth awesome blessing of a brew. Easily my all time favorite CDA... what a balanced, yet massively hoppy brew. Smooth sweet and bitter brew... citrus, pine, grassy and seriously good skunky hops... all blended to perfection. I want kegs.

- Medium bodied, not at all sticky or chewy sweet... just perfect.. like a smooth draft cola it goes down... great aftertaste.... what a beer!

- Overall one of the best brews I have had in a very long time. I hope they continue to brew this over and over again. I am now saving for a nice kegerator and I hope to tap this bad boy with it.

4.44/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The most delicious beer I've had since moving to OR a month ago.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Armored Fist Double CDA from Boneyard Beer Company