Armored Fist Double CDA - Boneyard Beer Company

Oregon, United States

American Black Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Docer on 11-01-2010

80 IBUs

A collaboration with Three Floyds Brewing Co.
to view more.
Ratings: 153 | Reviews: 34
Reviews by Thorpe429:
4.3/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had on tap at Uber Tavern. Review from notes.

A: Dark brown with a small tan head on top. Quick reduction to a thin cap on top. Bits of lacing form on the glass.

S: Extremely hoppy. Lots of citrus, grapefruit, and tropical fruits. Very faint roast mixed in, but definitely dominated by the hops.

T: Similarly hoppy, which is fine by me. Was expecting more roast influence, but the tropical fruits are quite dominant. There is some grapefruit, pineapple, papaya with just a touch of chocolate and roast.

M: Medium bodied, surprised to find out it is 10%, certainly drinks a lot easier than that.

O: One of the best black ales I have had, and one that I would actually drink again.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

64 oz. growler poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Dark brown. Murky. Khaki head. Nice collar and a wispy surface.

Smell - Big grapefruit and piney hop aroma. Some roasty malts, but it's all about the hops.

Taste - Still a huge hop flavor. Grapefruit hops. Roasted malt throughout. Never quite takes over, but just a bit of sweetness. Bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - Kinda light. Surprising for a 10% beer. I expected and wanted a little more body. The growler maintained the carbonation very well.

Overall - Not sure if it's because I've been drinking a lot of mediocre beer, but this is really nice.

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a day old growler into a pint glass.

Appearance: Poured 1 finger of dark brownish white head. A lot of alcohol lacing. Dark brown colour can see through slightly.

Smell: Wonderfully floral, hoppy aroma also quite caramelly.

Taste: Bitter hoppy taste balanced amazingly well with the caramel, toffee and coffee notes. Warmth without much of an alcohol taste. Intense flavours.

Mouthfeel: Quite thick and syrupy in a good way. Not highly carbonated, although I reviewed this a ways into the growler.

Overall: I like the Cascadian Dark Ale style a great deal and this double version is just a flavour bomb. Easy drinking at the alcohol content. Had me quite merry by stealth. I’m a huge fan of this beer and it was a highlight of my tasting at the Boneyard. Diablo Rojo was also a standout. Unfortunately Black 13 wasn’t available to try.

4.67/5  rDev +8.1%

Had this at the meet the brewer event in PDX at the Green Dragon. Tony and Clay were some real stand up guys... and this beer was amazing.

- Nice black brew... fuzzy light mocha tan head... left a nice thin layer on top always...

- Super floral and citrus notes blended perfectly with lightly sweetened and roasted grains, oats, malts, bready.. cocoa, and some grassy herbal mad hops...

- What a smooth awesome blessing of a brew. Easily my all time favorite CDA... what a balanced, yet massively hoppy brew. Smooth sweet and bitter brew... citrus, pine, grassy and seriously good skunky hops... all blended to perfection. I want kegs.

- Medium bodied, not at all sticky or chewy sweet... just perfect.. like a smooth draft cola it goes down... great aftertaste.... what a beer!

- Overall one of the best brews I have had in a very long time. I hope they continue to brew this over and over again. I am now saving for a nice kegerator and I hope to tap this bad boy with it.

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

32oz growler from Boneyard. Reviewed from notes.

Black with a monolithic tan head that recedes at a glacial pace leaving spider-web lacing and a final ring.

Deep, damp marijuana and pungent herbs like thyme and marjoram. Less intense tropical notes of passionfruit and guava. Mild, but sharp-edged coffee roast character.

Touch more roast and less green hop character in the flavours. A vibrant, minty bitterness grows in force. At times there's a difficult to place chalky, lavender note that doesn't quite agree with me.

Medium to full, super-smooth mouthfeel. Carbonation provides a good vibrancy and lift on the front palate and feeds into a moderate bitterness that lingers nicely. No hint of booze.

Slammin' black IPA with the restrained use of roast malts allowing the intense hop character to assail the senses. Crazy drinkable for 10%.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

I am a bit of Boneyard fanboy and I pretty much try Boneyard every time I see any of their stuff on tap. HOWEVER! I do not enjoy everything they brew. I did not hear anything about this particular beer and had no expectations. This is my favorite CDA ever. It's not overly bitter or overly malty but man.... so so so balanced. Has the smoothest mouthfeel. Alcohol is hidden. I thought it was like a 6% ABV beer. If you see this on tap, try it.

4.6/5  rDev +6.5%

Without a doubt, this is one of the best beers that I have ever tasted

3.96/5  rDev -8.3%

First had: on tap at Apex, Portland, OR
Courtesy of johnmichaelsen. Thanks!

I was really just shopping for rare beers at Apex, and didn't intend to drink anything else for a while, but suddenly this beer appeared in front of my nose, so what the hey.

Attractive pour: served in a snifter, a solid, dark brown with a well-retaining cap of eggshell head. Aroma of chocolate malts, tree bark, pine and citrus hops. Mouthfeel was quite smooth and mild for the style, probably one of the more easier drinkin' CDAs that I've had. Woody on the palate, roasty malts, piney hops, cirtus zest, notes of cigary tobacco. Very nice, very drinkable. Too bad I couldn't savor it more, but I had to rush to move my illegally-parked car!

3.8/5  rDev -12%

on-tap @ Belmont Station.
from notes.

Near black, with deep brown highlights and a thin, foamy off-white head.

Very hoppy upfront, citric mostly, some resinous pine, blends to a roasty malt finish. Some cocoa.

Medium body, very light alcohol warmth. Average, bubbly carbonation.

Extremely hop forward, with just enough roasted malt to keep it from being a DIPA.

4.07/5  rDev -5.8%

On guest tap at the Alpine Beer Co. pub
02/28/14 - Half Pint glass

Listed as a 10%ABV Double Black IPA 3Floyds/Boneyard Collab

A: Pour is more of a rusted reddish brown color. All ruddy and murky looking. I think they may have missed the SRM mark here. Thin wisp of khaki bubbles forms on top slipping out to just a thin crown. A few splotchy dots of stick noted. Not the most attractive looking brew I must say.

S: The nose is bursting with super Citra hop aromatics. Bright and floral with orange, tangerine, and grapefruit mostly. I am not getting much else here to be honest. Some subtle malt sweetness in the form of candied citrus really and a hint of chalky cocoa powder. Quite fragrant with the citrus hops really.

T: Taste is an orange crush with loads of citrusy hop flavors and an abrasive hop bitterness that scrubs across the palate. Tangerine and grapefruit combined. Malt is practically absent minus some faint toasted cracker bits and some mild coffee roast on the finish. Dash of cocoa powder and there is something lightly herbaceous. It’s a little bit of an odd mixture with the coffee. Very light on the sweetness and dry with a resinous linger. Alcohol is deceptively well hidden for a 10% ABV brew this drinks more like a single IPA would. Crazy brew although enjoyable I would say.

M: The beer maintains a light body for such big ABV. Medium fullness overall. Upper level of constricting bitterness. Finishes out very dry with a long lasting linger.

D: This beer is Beast Mode! Big citrus blast of flavor with a scarce malt presence. Super bitter and dry with the alcohol incredibly well masked at 10%. What a great tick to find here.

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

A: The beer pours a very dark brown, almost black, color with a creamy khaki colored head.

S: Lots of dank hops on this. Tons of grapefruit and citrus notes with a touch of tropical fruits. There are some herbal hop notes as well as a decent pine. Quite a bit of roast with a slight malt sweetness.

T: As on the nose, tons of grapefruit and mango flavors with a lot of piney hop bitterness and a light herbal character. Roasted malt adds to the bitterness and there is a little bit of chocolate flavor.

M: Medium bodied with a medium carbonation. Sort of sticky on the tongue.

O: After all the lackluster PNW hoppy beers I've had of late, this was really quite nice.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Growler shared with my Dad last night.

Pours a dark brown (not as dark as I expected though) with a large off white head. Was happy to see that this beer was still well carbonated.

Aromas are wonderful. Earthy, pine, lots of resin, grassy, with some really ripe and sugary citrus notes.

Taste follows the nose very nicely. Sweet cocoa, sticky resin, hard candy sweetness, light nutty undertones, and a pine like bitterness on the finish. Very nicely balanced for the style, though the hoppiness is certainly on the forefront.

Lighter and very smooth mouthfeel. It kind of makes it easy to drink and also easy to forget that this beer is 10% ABV.

Overall, an outstanding example of the style. One of the best CDAs I have ever had.

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Apex the other day.

The beer pours a fairly dark brown color with very good head retention and considerable sticky lacing all around. The nose is interesting and attractive, consisting of coffee, dark chocolate, dry citrus and some underlying green leafy tobacco. As good as this beer smells, it tastes even better, and I'm impressed by the mocha flavor and soft creamy mouthfeel. The beer comes across as moderarely sweet initially, but then the hoppy bitterness comes on strong in the finish, leading to fairly dry, citrus and tobacco finish. The alcohol is very well integrated into the flavor profile, and I really got no sense of the 10% abv. in this beer.

Very impressive. Not that I'm surprised, as pretty much every boneyard beer I've sampled has been excellent, but this is right up there with Barley Brown when it comes to making outstanding CDA's.

3.96/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On-tap as the guest beer @ Alpine. Labeled as a 3Floyds/Boneyard collab?

A pretty beer, was expecting a bit more darkness due to the "double" moniker. Lots of roast in the aroma, swirled with the expected hoppiness.

Tasted more roast than chocolate to me. On the sweeter side, as far as CDA's go.

Mouthfeel was slightly thin, but that's all I can knock this beer down for. For hoppiness, it didn't stand up to the other Alpine beers in the flight (Duet, Nelson, Pure Hoppiness). Delicious distraction though.

4.77/5  rDev +10.4%

I got this off draft at my local growler filling shop.
A: So for the appearance, as it came out of the tap, it was a very dark brown. In my jar it was black as night. It looked as it sounded. Dark. When I got home and poured it into a glass, it had a very off white head that was sticky as hell. It basically stuck around and made a nice lacing on the glass.
S: The smell is fantastic. Beers this dark should not have all of those citrus tones mixed with the roasty malt tones. Unbelievable. This is rated at 80 IBUs but this is going to be a citrus bomb mixed with the mounds of roasted malts.
t: At first taste, you get the hop bitterness that quicky gives that acidic tingle as it turns to that citrusy flavor that I smelled up front. Towards the end of the gulp you get that roasted flavor that dark beers should have. Amazing taste at every sip. I really like this beer and wish it was not as hard to find as it is.
M: Sticky...very sticky and it keeps the flavor lingering and that acidic tingle that is not unpleasant keeps that citrusy vibe around. The carbonation is there but not enough to clean the palate.
O: Overall this beer kicks ass. There is no way you can tell that it is a 10% beer until you drink a bunch of it. You will get drunk off of this very easy so it should be drank in moderation or share a jug with a friend. Its very easy drinking and my favorite cascadian dark ale at the moment.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Excellent. I have yet to have a bad beer from Boneyard.

Updating on a sunny, warm January day in Portland. Fruiter and less roasted than I remember, and that's a good thing. Not sure about batch to batch variation, but this batch is exactly what I want from this style. So, so good.

4.09/5  rDev -5.3%

on tap at APEX, Portland

Amber brown with sandstone film.
A bit of ash and lemon but lots of tropical fruit hops.
Char, sweet coffee, a bit of brown sugar, then big lemon, pine, and mango hops.
Waxy lemon finish and bittersweet linger.
Medium, chewy, round.

Grapefruit and fruit salad CDA, not so much “D”. Lots of Simcoe passionfruit, if I had to guess. Black bits are very secondary, but lovely just the same.

4.57/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler - thanks Matt! Rich auburn, tan foam. Big Cascade hop, ripe pineapple, lightly caramelized. Wow. Quality, syrupy malt and citrus.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Had this out of a mason jar, pours a dark black color, decent sized head with good retention.
S: Very citrusy and piney, also lots of roasted scents
T: Much the same as smell, lots of hops both piney and citrusy but more citrusy I would say. Roasted barley and peat.
M: Medium bodied beer, carbonation is good. ETOH is very well hidden
O: This is a really good beer, would get this one again for sure.

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reddish brown, hazy and dark.

Smells super hoppy, but drinks very creamy. Truly the most buttery Pale Ale I've ever had... Finish is great too, leaves you with a sense the favors and characteristics if the region.

An outstanding beer for the habitual IPA drinker to expose the other side of the pale ale spectrum.

4.36/5  rDev +0.9%

Big thanks go out to oregonskibum, my favorite trader, who sent more of the Oregon blessedness we both love so well.

Pours darkest brown with slight ruby highlights, no head, but thin, lively, off-white cap. A swirl paints the tulip with thick bubbly legs.

Man what a great smell. Citrus goodness, hints of pine, just a hint of roast, some neutral sweet, a touch of herbal bitter, and even a bit of floral add up to a medium strength and absolutely delectable aroma that is making my tongue giddy and causing my saliva glands to activate.

Good gosh but this is a delicious beer. It starts with a thick attack of sweet and citrus. I get orange peel, lemon, caramel, grapefruit, tangerine, candi. Then it transitions to some of the roasty notes. Not a full on blast of roast by any means, but a wonderful hit of dark grain and light bitter chocolate, no ash to it, no bitter burnt to it, a perfect counterpoint to the hoppy and sweet. The end of the sip carries all these flavors into the finish, adding just a bit of bitter hop resiny pine in just the right proportion.

Quite thick and full of hoppy resin, perfectly low carb., well attenuated but retaining some body to be full in the mouth, easy drinking, refreshing, interesting, with a killer finish. Black Ales don't get better than this, my friends.

If you see this magnificent brew for sale do not hesitate to get some as you will love it for sure. Rating this beer an A (would have been A+ but for the appearance) was a no brainer it is staggeringly delicious.

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

I'll call it a growler since this isn't bottled, but I had this guy hand-bottled from Tony. This is certainly a wow beer for me, great work again from the guys at Boneyard. This was a collaboration with the guys at Three Floyds and it really delivered.

Pours a deep brown color with amber edges and moderate tan head. No real lacing to speak of. Black in the center of the beer, but relatively mahogany-colored and transparent toward the edges. Not the blackest of the black IPAs I've had, but I'll let it slide because it is very pretty and a damn good beer.

Nose is hoppy as hell. Big piney, weedy hop notes hit hard, with some supporting sweeter citrus notes, lemon zest and such. A bit of malt under there too, but this is a hop bomb no doubt (FFF would make a hop bomb, and it's looking like Boneyard is moving that direction too).

Flavor shines in this guy. Really, this is one of the best beers I've had. I love the style, and these guys nailed it. The first black IPA that I've had since Stone SSR that is on par (or better) than Stone SSR. Big piney/weedy/earthy hops blast through on the front of the palate, with a wave of roasted malts coming through on the finish. Sometimes I get chocolate, others coffee/espresso, and still others some smokey notes. The malt bill is impressive, leaving a nice lingering smokey/chocolate/coffee/rye toast flavor. Love this beer.

Feel is pretty moderate to light... this is a very easy-drinking beer. Its 10+% ABV, but I swear it drinks like 6%. No booziness that I could notice. Huge beer, easy drink. Wow.

This might be blasphemy or way off base, but the hop bill in this really reminded me of Pliny the Elder. Imperial Black IPA version of PtE? Really, that's what I was thinking as I had this beer. Boneyard is the real deal.

EDIT: Also had this side-by-side with fresh Stone SSR. Armored Fist was the clear winner for all three of us tasting.

3.97/5  rDev -8.1%

On tap at Bailey's Taproom in Portland. Pours a dark amber-brown colour with thin tan head. No lacing. Smells of mild coffee, hops and quite alcoholic. Flavour has a lit if boozy heat, with the roasted malt coming through. Syrupy mouthfeel. Fairly nice imperial cascadian dark ale.

4.77/5  rDev +10.4%

Growler from Main Brew, poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip, Armored Fist is Black with a tan head leaving light lace.

Smell is a big blast of pungent hops, lots of tropical fruit, citrus. Sweet and intense.

Taste is fantastic. This is by far the best CDA I've had. The massive, fruity hop load really complements the slight charred notes from the dark malt. Often times I find this style clashes, but the dark malt and hops really come together into a delicious elixir here. There's just a touch of some piney hops as well, but they are a subtle back-current behind the dank citrus, tangerine. There's a modest bitterness. I'm shocked at the ABV, there's not a trace in the taste, very clean.

Mouthfeel is dry, slippery, medium light bodied.

Drinkability is dangerously high. This is a fantastic beer.

3.85/5  rDev -10.9%

On-tap at Three Floyds, who apparently were involved in making this beer. Served in a tulip glass.

A - Persistent finger-plus of tan foam that leaves behind glass-coating lace. The body is a kind of dark brown-orange-red color that is slightly transparent and not very pretty. Much like Krunk Monk I'm splitting the difference here.

S - Citrus orange zest, pine, perhaps some light cocoa in the periphery. This one is clearly all about the hops though.

T - The taste is quite different. There's far more herbal and dank character, and what appears to be a combination of flavors that evokes thin mints (herbs and chocolate). Finishes with plenty of bitterness that is not out of control, but would grow fatiguing after a while. Not much citrus at all, which was a shock after the aroma.

M - Medium body, soft carbonation, really oily resinous finish, with some dryness as well. Alcohol is well hidden - for some reason I thought this was 7-8%.

D - I'd happily drink a glass of this again, but it's not in my top five Cascadian Dark/Black IPAs. The alcohol and bitterness are too high for it to be a good session beer too. Still, it went down fairly quickly and was nice to try.

to view more.