Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Armored Fist Double CDA - Boneyard Beer Company

Armored Fist Double CDAArmored Fist Double CDA

Boneyard Beer Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Black Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Docer on 11-01-2010

80 IBUs

A collaboration with Three Floyds Brewing Co.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Brown colour with a creamy tan head. Good.

Bright, floral hop aroma with a touch of chocolate. Slightly nutty.

Smooth, nutty chocolate malts with a good grapefruity hop punch. Great flavour.

Medium body with moderate carbonation. Great.

A solid Cascadian Dark Ale. Good flavour and a great malt profile. (307 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -4%

A: The beer pours a very dark brown, almost black, color with a creamy khaki colored head.

S: Lots of dank hops on this. Tons of grapefruit and citrus notes with a touch of tropical fruits. There are some herbal hop notes as well as a decent pine. Quite a bit of roast with a slight malt sweetness.

T: As on the nose, tons of grapefruit and mango flavors with a lot of piney hop bitterness and a light herbal character. Roasted malt adds to the bitterness and there is a little bit of chocolate flavor.

M: Medium bodied with a medium carbonation. Sort of sticky on the tongue.

O: After all the lackluster PNW hoppy beers I've had of late, this was really quite nice. (670 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a day old growler into a pint glass.

Appearance: Poured 1 finger of dark brownish white head. A lot of alcohol lacing. Dark brown colour can see through slightly.

Smell: Wonderfully floral, hoppy aroma also quite caramelly.

Taste: Bitter hoppy taste balanced amazingly well with the caramel, toffee and coffee notes. Warmth without much of an alcohol taste. Intense flavours.

Mouthfeel: Quite thick and syrupy in a good way. Not highly carbonated, although I reviewed this a ways into the growler.

Overall: I like the Cascadian Dark Ale style a great deal and this double version is just a flavour bomb. Easy drinking at the alcohol content. Had me quite merry by stealth. I’m a huge fan of this beer and it was a highlight of my tasting at the Boneyard. Diablo Rojo was also a standout. Unfortunately Black 13 wasn’t available to try. (856 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

On tap at Apex PDX, $4.75 12 oz. pour 4.17.11.

Jet black/very dark brown body, 1/2 finger brown head, no visible carbonation due to dark hue, quick dissipation resulted in thin ring of head around edge of glass, no lacing. Big whack of resinous hops in the nose, as it warmed the citrus aromas became a bit more prominent, roasted malts with some coffee notes, I picked up a bit of caramel. Taste mirrors nose insanely resiny though balanced a bit by citrus sweetness, lingering bitter finish, yummy. Mouthfeel is pretty thin for style, pretty boozy, slightly sticky. This is one big burly CDA along the lines of Barley Brown's Turmoil, IMO the beer that's come closest to replicating that killer brew yet. Tasty in small doses but a real palate destroyer, we had to go to Cascade for a sour palate cleansing after this! (821 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -50.1%

Served on tap in a goblet at Three Floyds.

Appearance: This pours a maple brown, nearly mahogany, with an eggshell colored head that retains nicely. Strangely light appearance for a double CDA, though.

Smell: Wet dog, gym socks, ad barnyard. Too strong and terrible. The first whiff made me tear up and want to cry. I almost cannot move past this point.**

Taste: It is tough to ignore the smell, but I am doing the best I can. There is some sweet molasses up front. Sage, tons of cloves and all spice, lots of funk follow. The sweet and spicy flavors blend in with spicy and earthy hops. A little alcohol bite.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, which was, again, light for what I was expecting. Candy sweet on the lips, and it leaves some hop resin.

Drinkability: I could not finish this. The smell was just too overwhelming.

**Note - the aroma was bad enough that I handed it to my friend, who agreed it was awful. Before even having a sip, I asked our server if something had gone wrong. He smelled it and told me that was how it was supposed to smell. So, I moved on. (1,069 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

On-tap at Three Floyds, who apparently were involved in making this beer. Served in a tulip glass.

A - Persistent finger-plus of tan foam that leaves behind glass-coating lace. The body is a kind of dark brown-orange-red color that is slightly transparent and not very pretty. Much like Krunk Monk I'm splitting the difference here.

S - Citrus orange zest, pine, perhaps some light cocoa in the periphery. This one is clearly all about the hops though.

T - The taste is quite different. There's far more herbal and dank character, and what appears to be a combination of flavors that evokes thin mints (herbs and chocolate). Finishes with plenty of bitterness that is not out of control, but would grow fatiguing after a while. Not much citrus at all, which was a shock after the aroma.

M - Medium body, soft carbonation, really oily resinous finish, with some dryness as well. Alcohol is well hidden - for some reason I thought this was 7-8%.

D - I'd happily drink a glass of this again, but it's not in my top five Cascadian Dark/Black IPAs. The alcohol and bitterness are too high for it to be a good session beer too. Still, it went down fairly quickly and was nice to try. (1,182 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

On tap at Three Floyd's as part of a collaboration between the two. Thanks to our server for finding a way to bring us over a glass despite it blowing when we first arrived and the second keg being all foam...Pours an ugly dark brown with reddish notes. Way too light for a black ipa. However, there is great carbonation, a huge thick light tan head, good retention and great lacing...A lot is going on with aroma, but not totally successful despite interesting individual parts. Orange zest, cascade, soap, a hint of chocolate... The taste is weird, soapy hops, herbs, minty, not really my thing. However, the alcohol is hidden really nicely and this is easy to crush.

Doesn't really fit a specific style, nor have a great taste, however its drinkable at the abv. Wouldn't go out of my way for this but I'd have it again toward the end of my night. (850 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

I'll call it a growler since this isn't bottled, but I had this guy hand-bottled from Tony. This is certainly a wow beer for me, great work again from the guys at Boneyard. This was a collaboration with the guys at Three Floyds and it really delivered.

Pours a deep brown color with amber edges and moderate tan head. No real lacing to speak of. Black in the center of the beer, but relatively mahogany-colored and transparent toward the edges. Not the blackest of the black IPAs I've had, but I'll let it slide because it is very pretty and a damn good beer.

Nose is hoppy as hell. Big piney, weedy hop notes hit hard, with some supporting sweeter citrus notes, lemon zest and such. A bit of malt under there too, but this is a hop bomb no doubt (FFF would make a hop bomb, and it's looking like Boneyard is moving that direction too).

Flavor shines in this guy. Really, this is one of the best beers I've had. I love the style, and these guys nailed it. The first black IPA that I've had since Stone SSR that is on par (or better) than Stone SSR. Big piney/weedy/earthy hops blast through on the front of the palate, with a wave of roasted malts coming through on the finish. Sometimes I get chocolate, others coffee/espresso, and still others some smokey notes. The malt bill is impressive, leaving a nice lingering smokey/chocolate/coffee/rye toast flavor. Love this beer.

Feel is pretty moderate to light... this is a very easy-drinking beer. Its 10+% ABV, but I swear it drinks like 6%. No booziness that I could notice. Huge beer, easy drink. Wow.

This might be blasphemy or way off base, but the hop bill in this really reminded me of Pliny the Elder. Imperial Black IPA version of PtE? Really, that's what I was thinking as I had this beer. Boneyard is the real deal.

EDIT: Also had this side-by-side with fresh Stone SSR. Armored Fist was the clear winner for all three of us tasting. (1,901 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -7%

On tap at Bailey's Taproom in Portland. Pours a dark amber-brown colour with thin tan head. No lacing. Smells of mild coffee, hops and quite alcoholic. Flavour has a lit if boozy heat, with the roasted malt coming through. Syrupy mouthfeel. Fairly nice imperial cascadian dark ale. (281 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%

Had this at the meet the brewer event in PDX at the Green Dragon. Tony and Clay were some real stand up guys... and this beer was amazing.

- Nice black brew... fuzzy light mocha tan head... left a nice thin layer on top always...

- Super floral and citrus notes blended perfectly with lightly sweetened and roasted grains, oats, malts, bready.. cocoa, and some grassy herbal mad hops...

- What a smooth awesome blessing of a brew. Easily my all time favorite CDA... what a balanced, yet massively hoppy brew. Smooth sweet and bitter brew... citrus, pine, grassy and seriously good skunky hops... all blended to perfection. I want kegs.

- Medium bodied, not at all sticky or chewy sweet... just perfect.. like a smooth draft cola it goes down... great aftertaste.... what a beer!

- Overall one of the best brews I have had in a very long time. I hope they continue to brew this over and over again. I am now saving for a nice kegerator and I hope to tap this bad boy with it. (990 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last