2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Armored Fist Double CDA - Boneyard Beer Company

Armored Fist Double CDA
No picture uploaded.

Boneyard Beer Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Black Ale |  10.00% ABV

80 IBUs

A collaboration with Three Floyds Brewing Co.

(Beer added by: Docer on 11-01-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 101 | Reviews: 29 | Show All Ratings:
jrallen34

3.73/5  rDev -13.9%

On tap at Three Floyd's as part of a collaboration between the two. Thanks to our server for finding a way to bring us over a glass despite it blowing when we first arrived and the second keg being all foam...Pours an ugly dark brown with reddish notes. Way too light for a black ipa. However, there is great carbonation, a huge thick light tan head, good retention and great lacing...A lot is going on with aroma, but not totally successful despite interesting individual parts. Orange zest, cascade, soap, a hint of chocolate... The taste is weird, soapy hops, herbs, minty, not really my thing. However, the alcohol is hidden really nicely and this is easy to crush.

Doesn't really fit a specific style, nor have a great taste, however its drinkable at the abv. Wouldn't go out of my way for this but I'd have it again toward the end of my night.

01-23-2011 04:41:03 | More by jrallen34
LordAdmNelson

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

I'll call it a growler since this isn't bottled, but I had this guy hand-bottled from Tony. This is certainly a wow beer for me, great work again from the guys at Boneyard. This was a collaboration with the guys at Three Floyds and it really delivered.

Pours a deep brown color with amber edges and moderate tan head. No real lacing to speak of. Black in the center of the beer, but relatively mahogany-colored and transparent toward the edges. Not the blackest of the black IPAs I've had, but I'll let it slide because it is very pretty and a damn good beer.

Nose is hoppy as hell. Big piney, weedy hop notes hit hard, with some supporting sweeter citrus notes, lemon zest and such. A bit of malt under there too, but this is a hop bomb no doubt (FFF would make a hop bomb, and it's looking like Boneyard is moving that direction too).

Flavor shines in this guy. Really, this is one of the best beers I've had. I love the style, and these guys nailed it. The first black IPA that I've had since Stone SSR that is on par (or better) than Stone SSR. Big piney/weedy/earthy hops blast through on the front of the palate, with a wave of roasted malts coming through on the finish. Sometimes I get chocolate, others coffee/espresso, and still others some smokey notes. The malt bill is impressive, leaving a nice lingering smokey/chocolate/coffee/rye toast flavor. Love this beer.

Feel is pretty moderate to light... this is a very easy-drinking beer. Its 10+% ABV, but I swear it drinks like 6%. No booziness that I could notice. Huge beer, easy drink. Wow.

This might be blasphemy or way off base, but the hop bill in this really reminded me of Pliny the Elder. Imperial Black IPA version of PtE? Really, that's what I was thinking as I had this beer. Boneyard is the real deal.

EDIT: Also had this side-by-side with fresh Stone SSR. Armored Fist was the clear winner for all three of us tasting.

Serving type: growler

01-03-2011 19:30:55 | More by LordAdmNelson
kwjd

Ontario (Canada)

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

On tap at Bailey's Taproom in Portland. Pours a dark amber-brown colour with thin tan head. No lacing. Smells of mild coffee, hops and quite alcoholic. Flavour has a lit if boozy heat, with the roasted malt coming through. Syrupy mouthfeel. Fairly nice imperial cascadian dark ale.

11-13-2010 01:09:51 | More by kwjd
Docer

Washington

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%

Had this at the meet the brewer event in PDX at the Green Dragon. Tony and Clay were some real stand up guys... and this beer was amazing.

- Nice black brew... fuzzy light mocha tan head... left a nice thin layer on top always...

- Super floral and citrus notes blended perfectly with lightly sweetened and roasted grains, oats, malts, bready.. cocoa, and some grassy herbal mad hops...

- What a smooth awesome blessing of a brew. Easily my all time favorite CDA... what a balanced, yet massively hoppy brew. Smooth sweet and bitter brew... citrus, pine, grassy and seriously good skunky hops... all blended to perfection. I want kegs.

- Medium bodied, not at all sticky or chewy sweet... just perfect.. like a smooth draft cola it goes down... great aftertaste.... what a beer!

- Overall one of the best brews I have had in a very long time. I hope they continue to brew this over and over again. I am now saving for a nice kegerator and I hope to tap this bad boy with it.

11-01-2010 23:50:04 | More by Docer