Follow our progress ...

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by jdense on 06-14-2011

Reviews: 84 | Ratings: 633
4.43/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: thick frothy white head, light haziness, darker golden

S: bright burst of a complex hop blend, light dankness, very clean

T: quick sweet note from the alcohol, bit of pine and citrus, not overpowering or boozy

F: good bitter bite, which fades to crisp finish, slight sweetness

O: killer triple IPA, 100% more sessionable (and enjoyable) than PtY, similar to Knee Deep Simtra. Cannot believe this is 12%

Had this at Brouwers toward the end of a beer-tourism trip to Seattle. Over the last 5 days I've sampled dozens of IPAs, often asking brewers or bar owners for the one they considered the most explosively hoppy. This beer put every other one I've had to shame. By far the biggest, hoppiest, and most delicious IPA I've ever had.

Look: Crystal clear, pale golden colour. Fluffy head that stuck around until the bottom of the glass. Thick lacing as the beer disappeared.

Aroma: I had just finished a rather strong, hoppy double IPA and my palate was already accustomed to hops when this was placed in front of me. I could smell it clearly from a foot and a half away as the bartender served it. Gigantic, fresh, hoppy goodness. Lots of peach and other sweet fruits. Powerful pine/resin. Not heavy on the citrus but it was there. It is complex, but not muddled.

Taste: More of the same (lots of sweet fruit and resin), with some maltiness. Very balanced malts, not too sweet, they stay in the background where they should be. Every sip was explosive and surprisingly hoppy. There is a strong sweetness that is obviously from the hops and not the malts. Somehow deliciously 'planty,' not in the vegetal or grassy way that so many IPAs are. Alcohol was nearly hidden at 12% (how did they do this?)! Extremely well balanced and yet powerful.

Mouthfeel: Not even close to being astringent. Instead it's slick/sticky. Very sticky, like it was coating my mouth in oil. The bitterness (which is high but extremely smooth) was just a pleasant, smooth tingle. The beer was insanely drinkable and far from heavy or cloying.

Overall: As close to a perfect beer as I have ever had. It has raised the bar on IPAs for me considerably. An absolutely delicious, huge IPA. Now if only they distributed to Canada...

As I rate more beers I am more likely to call BS on all 5's. Especially some of my own. This beer was perfect. On tap at The Hoppy Brewer. Beautiful bright copper/orange with a nice sticky head. The head lasted. I could have smelled it all night. An intoxicating melange of tropical, fruity and dank hops. They really married together to just create a wonderful aroma all it's own. The taste was an intense and bitter version of the aroma. No cloying sweetness. No burn of alcohol which is impressive in a 12% ABV beer. My buddy who is not as much of a beer but, immediately commented on how incredibly smooth it was. And he was right. For a huge beer it was insanely drinkable. These big bad Imperial IPAs can go off the rails really easy but a gentle hand was at work with this beer. Well done Boneyard! Really worth all 5s.

4.1/5  rDev -9.9%

Slight hazed golden bronze. Slight floaties in the glass.

Hop resiny and sticky. Dank and weedy. A little more juicy and fruity than the dipa.

Bitter and sticky. Medium bodied.

Good, but not tropical.

4.75/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Filled a growler at Elizabeth Station for 2015, Bellingham, WA, Beer Week.

Look: The body of this beer appears hazy, golden, and orange. It looks thick coming out of the growler. The head is white and creamy. Sticky on the sides of the glass and persistent.
Smell: BOOM! BAM! BOOM! POW! A salvo of sweet and pungent hops attacking my senses. Sharp dankness, not regular dankness. A dank hop bomb in my nose. If I remember correctly, this smells similar to Pliny the Younger, only different.
Taste: Wow...Damn. This reminds me of PtY, just different. Super rich flavors of sweet and sharp hops combined with thick notes of pine. Easy and likable bitterness.
Feel: This feels so right in my chomper. Lower level of carbonation for a TIPA. Heavier body. Nice sudsy feeling. This goes down smooth.

Overall - The closest thing to PtY in my book. There are not many IPA style beers that would surpass Notorious IPA.

4.75/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

triple IPA.A very solid beer, a great introduction, Taste and smell are beautiful and make this beer, back end is very full and perfect hop bitter. with a bit of kick in the finish.

4.81/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Really good IPA, and very drinkable for a beer with such a high ABV. However, I think I prefer Boneyard's Hop Venom double IPA over this just slightly.

4.45/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

1/2 pint glass @ Chuck's. Pours a clear copper w/ a sticky head.

Aroma is dank, dank, dank. Resinous pine and citrus.

Taste follows nose. Big sticky resinous pine and citrus hops balanced by a heavy dose of pale malt.

Mouthfeel is chewy, thick but well carbed.

Overall a huge imperial IPA, comparable to or even more impressive than Pliny the Younger. Dangerous.

4.51/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Apex in Portland, Oregon.

Pours a lighter yellow body, one finger thick white head with good retention; a small bit of lacing though not a ton. Smells of rich grapefruit and pine aromas, very sweet caramel and biscuit. Very rich aroma that coats my nose in a pleasant haze of sweet grapefruit rind. Very nice. Flavour is similarly separated into two extremes that don't clash at all; strong caramel and biscuit sweetness mixes in very nicely with a strong grapefruit and pine hop aromatic flavours, finishing with a moderately piney bitterness. No onions or off-flavours, simply a very clean expression of over-the-top hops and malts. Mouthfeel is full bodied, not syrupy, dry and just about perfect for any IIIPA I've had thus far. Overall, excellent IIIPA that is one of the best beers I've tried from the PNW.

3.46/5  rDev -24%

On tap at Hops and Pie. Orange color, not much head. Great aroma, very fruity, very nice. Flavor is off, very bitter but just doesn't follow the aroma and I don;t like it. Super boozy.

Holy smokes! Watch out Pliny the Younger... Notorious is in the house! This is the perfect IIPA! It tastes like a lightweight double, but is NOT... This is a great beer!!

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On Tap @ Apex i PDX

I Have heard a lot of noise about this beer and boy was it deserved! this beer is truly a marvel. Every other IPA that I have had that rise to go well above 10% become very boozy tasting and can't carry the hop flavor past a musty pine, probably because of the amount of sweet wort needed to get the alcohol level that high. but this beer was full of juicy sweet tangerine, lemon, and passionfruit flavors backed with an impossibly dry malt body that gets completely out of the way of the hop bouquet. The look is the only slight problem, not much lacing or head, at least on the glass I had, but with close to 12%, thats not really surprising. Sometimes you head of a whale and its not all its cracked up to be, and while this may be (in the words of one well known brewer from the area) a "stunt beer" this is worth the hype and the best IPA I have ever had. Bad ass tap handle with the biggie pic as well; Bring this too Alaska! maybe for culmination in August?!

4.55/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Unfortunatly the growler I received leaked, so the beer was flat. Therefore take this review with a grain of salt.

That being said the absense of head (from being flat) actually makes this a very pretty beer. Looks just like a glass of Mott's applejuice.

Despite having no head, the smell is fantastic. I can't think of a better way to say this, but the smell is very heart warming.

The upfront taste is crips, clean and smooth. I will pass on rating the back end because its flat.

Likewise, I will pass on rating the feel because its flat.

Overall this is a solid beer, and when I combine it with my memory of RPM and Hop Venom, I think this would be fantastic. Looks like I'm back trying to trade for another growler as this was too good to not do it right.

Note: The entire review will be deleted and replaced if/when I get a new growler.

Updated for a new growler that wasn't flat. Look is not as pretty because of the lingering lacing, but still a good looking beer. The nose is basically the same of what I remember. The taste is very crisp with a perfect balance of bitterness that lingers without ever getting in the way or offensive, making you want more the entire way. The feel is a standard IPA feel, clearly overshadowed by the taste and smell. Overall, still a fantastic west coast IPA.

4.74/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Tastes like a much bigger hop venom, very resinous, piney and juicy. The epitome of west coast, big IPA. This tastes exactly like Pliny the Younger. If you can get this, don't worry about younger.

Cellarmaker's Dank Statement is ALMOST as good as this. Very close.

4.93/5  rDev +8.4%

Awesome imperial IPA. Great taste. Had this on multiple times in the past. Recently had this side by side with Pliny the Younger. This beer is solid as hell.

This is my favorite beer I've ever tasted. I've had the chance to drink it twice, each time at a double and triple IPA festival that also featured Pliny the Younger and other sought-after beers. It's similar to Younger, but I like it better.

4.71/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Many thanks to TapThat for this growler. Pours a clear orange amber with a slight eggshell head. Smells of fresh C hops, grapefruit, pine, evergreen, very fresh. Tastes very crisp, lots of citrus, a bit of green apple, a bit of pine, a bit of boozy heat and nice malt backbone but not too bready. Mouthful is smooth and creamy without being to thin or too chewy. Doesn't feel its abv at all; tastes like a double IPA. One of the best triple IPAs in this great land or anywhere. Lived up to my expectations and more.

4.99/5  rDev +9.7%

The best beer I've ever tasted. Had 10 oz. pour on tap at the growler cafe in Lebanon, OR 1/2/15. This is my fourth time tasting notorious over the past 3 years and each has been one of my most memorable moments tasting beer. The rest I cannot put into words. You have to try for yourself.

4.2/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

truly a stunning beer. about as strong as hoppy be can be and still be reasonable, but this never seems big for the sake of being big, although it undoubtedly is. the hops are so fresh in this muted thick and incredibly cloudy brew. the head never settles and ring lacing appears on every sip, leaving a horizontal zebra in the glass when the pint (yes pint!) is exhausted. aroma of mango and other tropical fruits, and of course this insane hop resin that mixes fruity with bitter in a way that seems too delicate for a beer this large. the flavor is just the same, with a definite mango character to the honey textured hops. it never shows its alcohol strength, and actually i find myself drinking it pretty swiftly given its size. great big ipa, extremely well done, seems more of a creative exploration than a junk measuring contest, which i appreciate in so many ways. thanks for making this boneyard, its delicious.

4.95/5  rDev +8.8%

Served in a 6oz snifter on tap.

This is probably the most aromatic IPA I have ever tried. As soon as the bar keep set it down, everyone up and down the bar could smell it. Fresh pine, citrus primary, herbaceous and dank as a secondary impression. A very rounded hop nose

Color is deep gold / orange with a white effervescent head, medium size bubbles. Lighter than what you would expect for a 12%

Taste is a hopsplosion. Basically more of the fully rounded hop nose with the addition the right amount of bitterning, not too much, but still plenty. Good overall citrus and malt balance. For a 12% not a lot of malt or sweetness.

Mouthfeel is creamy, smooth and sticky.

A very big beer overall, but still drinkable. Closest to Pliny the Younger. Highly recommend.

4.74/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Received this as an extra in the Homebrewtalk MAW thread. Growler poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a bright golden with very little head that reduces to next to nothing. There's a slight copper tone in the color.
S: This beer is quite possibly the most potent dank bomb I've encountered to date. Smelling this beer is nothing short of sticking your face in a freshly opened bag of hops. Citrus, grapefruit, and earthy floraly goodness that blows my mind. There's also a bit of bubble gum that started to come through as it warmed up a bit.
T: The taste of this certainly compliments the aroma. Very fruity with lots of sweetness that masks the ABV very well. I do get a slight alcohol burn, but it's so well disguised in the flavor it doesn't even matter that it's there.
M: Carbed very well, especially for a growler. With the thickness that a big beer demands, the carb level fits. Leaves a pretty dry after taste, but the flavor and aroma linger with the dryness.
O: This is easily the best Triple IPA I've ever had. Prior to this I bench marked to Devil Dancer - no more. With receiving this as an extra, I had hopes of it being good, but I did not anticipate this at all. I will absolutely be seeking this out again. From now on, I am always ISO: Notorious.

4.5/5  rDev -1.1%

Major thanks to John for this extra!

Decanted from a 32oz. growler into a Deschutes teku (I know, blasphemy, but I don't have a Boneyard glass yet). Translucent amber with a full finger of white head (held up amazingly after a week in the growler), which retains as a ringlet, lacing the glass nicely. Blast of fresh, juicy, West Coast hops in the aroma! Pine, oily grapefruit and orange, pineapple, cat pee, marijuana..it's pretty much hops all the way. More of the same in the taste, dank, rindy, citrus oils, tropical fruits, ammonia, pot; there's a definite sweet caramel malt base that can't be avoided, but unlike many DIPAs or "TIPAs" that turn into malt-bombs when the brewers try for that higher ABV, the malt profile here is very tame and the hops stay fully in charge. So I'd say the malt character is "quite appropriate." Speaking of ABV, I would never have guessed this at 12%...I mean there is some booziness for sure, and yeah, I'm definitely feeling the strength already, but tastewise, the alcohol intrusion is relatively moderate. Medium body, crisp but unctuous mouthfeel, moderate carbonation, slightly "sticky" in the aftertaste. This harkens back to the first time I tried Pliny the Younger, and I dare say I like this one better than PtY in the past 2 or 3 years. I want more of this...a lot more.

4.79/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is an incredibly easy-drinking DIPA, especially for 12%.

Great hop balance between citrus and tropical fruit. Nice light but flavorful malt profile.

The mouth feel is on the dry side, but this, in tandem with the incredibly balanced hop/malt combination is what helps to create the fantastic drinkability.

4.84/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On-tap at Toronado (SF), x2. Pours a nice opaque orange with good head + retention. The smell is pungent tropical and citrus fruit with a bit of caramel. I get grapefruit, lemon, orange, mango, and misc. tropical fruits on the taste. It is a bit sweet, but not nearly as much as a lot of other triple IPAs. The feel is a bit resiny but overall this drinks incredibly well for the ABV. Overall, I'm pretty blown away by this one. Easily in my top few double/triple IPAs.

4.36/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Reviewing Notorious from Boneyard Beer Company out of Bend, Oregon.

Score: 93

64 oz growler filled in early March and consumed 03/13/14. Fittingly served in a Hopslam snifter

Appearance: Pours an orange-copper color that slightly fades to golden hue at bottom of glass with a thin layer of head that totally settles. Not much lacing or retention to speak of, but the brew does has nice oily legs. 4/5

Smell: HUGE notes fresh mango slices and peaches in flush, along with notes of pineapple, orange, and grapefruit. Lovely pine character too. Caramel malt underlies the hoppiness, with a light tinge of alcohol. I really love the mango-forward fruitiness of the nose! 4.75/5

Taste: Bold, bitter with a heavy caramel malt backbone and delectable tropical fruit overlay. The tropical fruitiness is dialed down relative to the nose, but still amply present. Mango and grapefruit juiciness comes through mostly upfront, with the caramel malt, bitterness and a little booziness defining the finish. Has a lasting bitter caramel and pine flavor. 4.25/5

Mouthfeel: Medium body, low carbonation. Quite oily mouthfeel. Dry finish. Bitter, but has an underlying malty sweetness. 4.25/5

Overall: I could have sworn that the previous growler I had of this beer was less malty, but I enjoyed this beer thoroughly nonetheless. The ABV is not completely hidden, but this beer is dangerously crushable at 12% ABV. Boneyard makes some excellent IPA.

Cost: $25 for a counter-pressured 64 oz growler.

Notorious Triple IPA from Boneyard Beer Company