Farmer Brown - The People's Pint

Farmer BrownFarmer Brown

The People's Pint visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-09-2003)
Reviews by greenengineer:
2.63/5  rDev -23.3%

Large bottle into a wine glass.
A - dark brown, very weak head - looks like coca-cola
S -big malty yeasty smell, sour
T - burnt malt taste, bitter, coffee grounds
M - a little thin, not as sticky as I expected, not much fizz
O - not my favorite, wondering if I got a bad bottle

greenengineer, Jan 15, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +13.7%

22 oz. bomber, served cold.

Appearance-
Dark brown with red highlights. Quite nice color when held in front of a light. Not much foam but good retention.

Smell-
Nice complexity. Sweet malt, chocolate, hazelnut, vanilla, coffee.

Taste-
A lot of the smells transfer into the taste, particularly the vanilla. Also get the creamy quality that has been described. I also agree with other reviewers that this beer is a little on the watery side and a tad too sweet. Would like more hops, carbonation, or other source of sharpness to serve as a counterweight.

Mouthfeel-
VERY nice. The creamy smoothness lingers nicely, making this a very enjoyable sipping beer.

Drinkability-
Again, sweeter and not as sharp as I'd like, so it isn't one that I would keep having all night, but a great counter to a salty snack like pretzels or cheese. I just had it with some spicy Chinese, and the sweetness did a good job cutting the heat.

My favorite beer from The People's Pint, mostly for the complexity and mouthfeel.

ddean, Nov 04, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +13.7%

22 ounce bomber purchased down the road from the brewery at the Wine Rack store in Greenfield, Ma. and enjoyed 2 days later. The label has an area for notches indicating the brewing date, but no notches have been created………pours a deep dark shade of ruby amber, with a nice looking tiny bubble, creamy, medium tan head that leaves plenty of fine blotchy lacing. Nose of some ripe fruit, leather and light smoke. This is pleasant British style brown ale, on the robust end of the style spectrum, notes of more dark and ripe fruit, slight jammyness, smoky malts, nutty, complex, flavorful and session able ale, bring on the nuts, crackers, fruits and cheddar cheese, sit back and enjoy

Billolick, Dec 29, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +12.2%

Had this one from a filled growler thanks to my brother in law.
Pours a very dark brown, almost black with a nice full finger and a half of tan head...lacing is thin, but hold nicely to the side of my pint glass.
Aroma is very faint, even at close to room temperature. Slight hints of cocoa and roasted malts.
The taste is enjoyable...I am not a huge fan of the smoked beers, but this one puts out a very subtle smoked flavor, similar to Harpoon's Smoked Porter. Light coffee and dark chocolate also adds to the enjoyment of its flavors.
Mouthfeel is perfect...not too thin and not heavy, making this one very drinkable.
Nothing over the top to rate this beer above 4, but I liked its characteristics, as it was darker and more flavorful than most brown ales I have had to date.
I look forward to trying more of their brews...and a visit to their establishment is in order.

warriorsoul, May 16, 2005
2.28/5  rDev -33.5%

Poured from 22 oz. bottle with almost zero head retention, but a gorgeous copper-to-brown color. Nose is redolent of raisins, currants prunes and any other dried sweet fruit you can think of. In fact it almost smells like it was *made* with raisins in the fermenter.

On the palate it leaves little to be desired in the way of body. Much thinner viscosity than that which your nose and eye would lead your tongue to believe. Very little carbonation. no lacing on the glass and I can barely detect any hop presence. ABV, listed at 5.8%, is well-hidden under all those raisin and plum flavors. Label indicates that one should mind the yeast due to bottle conditioning, but I saw no yeast sediment at all. Hence, carbonation problem?

Basically, this beer disappears from your consciousness almost immediately upon swallowing it. Avoid.

MurphysIrish, Feb 07, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +23.9%

Farmer Brown pours a very clear caramel color w/ very little head that fades quickly. While pouring the scent really hits you, this smells as though it's going to be a major malt bomb (my wife got Balsamic/malt vinegar). It smells very sweet, if I blindfolded I would have guessed this was a milk stout, lots of malt/caramel, then the dark roasted barley husk. I didn't notice the alcohol smell till I got to the bottom of the glass and no real hops within smelling distance.
The taste seems very straight forward and simple. It was not as sweet or malty as I thought it would be. There is a touch of honey, then the malt/caramel, then a pinch of sour and roast, may be some crackers as well. This is a nicely crafted and structured medium dry brown ale. The carbonation is very low, which seems to fit the style, I don't notice any stand out bitter or hops either. The mouthfeel is a touch thin but it strikes me as a beer you could have a few of at the pub, hold a nice conversation, and not make a complete ass out of your self before you got home kind of beer.
I would guess that Farmer Brown is a humble, quiet, and hard working man.
This would go so well with a nice chunk of cloth bound-farmhouse cheddar, a slice of wheaten bread, and perhaps a thick slice of bacon or sausage. I'll definitely check out their pub as soon as I can.

dadonabike, Aug 05, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

Dan114, Feb 19, 2013
3.68/5  rDev +7.3%

This was unique.An English mild. Winey aroma and colour, with merlot taste. Yet there was no wine barreling. Very little bitterness, and a tad of brown sugar syrupiness. Very light body and easy drinking at 5.2%. A wine replacement.Just like advertised!

Sammy, Jul 16, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +22.4%

This offering from The People's Pint pours a ruby brown with a strong tan head frothy and lacey but quickly disappears. The aroma is nutty, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, caramel, chocolate, and a creamy sweetness leaving a faint medicinal herbal hop feel.

The taste is sweet yet dry upfront of caramel, sugary mouthfeel, balanced with a earthy, rustic spice, nicely crafted that finishes smooth and delicate on the palate. Great brown ale we need more of these around.

Franchise, Jun 02, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +19%

Had this drink in its 22 oz bottle. The appearance was decent: dark black/brown colors, no head from the beginning and an almost silky texture look to it. The aromas were a strong point for me: whiffs of coffee, chocolate, vanilla, spices and cream mixed together with malts. The taste was great: silky and creamy bittersweetness with the above flavors mentioned playing a role. The mouthfeel is pretty good for the drink, allowing it to stay a creamy, low carbonated, medium-body beverage. Overall, wicked good.

fitzy84, Apr 11, 2008

ChipChaight, Jun 23, 2014
2.08/5  rDev -39.4%

I expected that a brown ale like this would be best served cool, not cold, so I let this beer sit on the counter for an hour to warm up, then poured into a tumbler. On reflection, warming may have been a mistake. Smell was odd, almost funky, mouthfeel sticky, and flavor cloying - all of these probably would have been improved by serving it very cold.

Despite the sweet, sticky flavor and feel, those I shared it with describe it as watery. I don't think I agree, and suspect they may have been noting the lack of alcoholic bite, since we drink a lot more extreme beers than session beers. Still, with no snap to the flavor, the sweet was too much for me.

dan4th, May 10, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -17.5%

Picked this one up in a trade recently along with several other from the brewer. I had been looking forward to trying them all for quite some time. Poured into a pint glass and served cold out of the fridge. Consumed on 08/07/2008.

The pour was rather nice, really nice actually with a hazelnut brown color becoming apparent almost immediately. Very nice translucent appearance as the light shimmered back off of this one and really showed off the color quite well. Excellent carbonation could be seen as it bubbled up toward the top of the glass. A nice two inch layer of tan came up off of it right away but then settled down to only a half an inch by the end of the session, still through very good look on this.

The aroma though is where things started to turn south on me. First off the smell came across as terribly acidic and bitter, way off like some kind of weird wet plant matter. Some light caramel and nuttiness underneath it. The flavor though was just acidic. It started out sweet, but then turned to intensely bitter and off. This was just not right. Slight redemption toward the bottom of the glass, but still this was way off the mark for what it should have been, maybe I had a bad bottle, but wow. Decent Mouthfeel, good carbonation, but I would not go get this one again.

Overall I was really disappointed here. I had high hopes for this one that were quickly dashed away. It was just way too acidic and bitter with some off fruit taste that dies not fit the style. Maybe the bottle was bad, I don't know, but I will have to recommend a pass here.

mikesgroove, Aug 09, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

d_brommer_nh, Jan 25, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -5.2%

lisahope27, Jun 07, 2013
4.58/5  rDev +33.5%

By far my favorite at the Peoples Pint!

A: Slightly opaque dark brown. Rich tones and a neat 1/2 finger head that faded gradually as you drink it.

S: Very malty odors. Almost smelled like a sweet children's cereal. An awesome combination of sweetness and malts/grains

T: So much going on with this beer. I felt like the more I drank it, the more my senses got overloaded. Maple, spiced cider were some of the tones. Almost like apple juice, with its combination of acidity, fruit, spice, and even some nut accents in there.

M: This is the one thing I didn't absolutely love about this beer. It was so sweet, so much so that I almost needed something to wash it down with.

D: Very refreshing and it is semi-heavy but the sweetness limits how much you can drink.

One of my favorite beers! I love beers that have a lot going on, and I found that with this one.

JNeider, Apr 11, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +12.2%

I do enjoy a fine brown ale.

A heady brew, Farmer Brown yields a big bubbly beige head. Chestnut color pour sits dark oaky brown in my glass. Good retention.

Chocolate bready brown aroma. Has a wet log, wine-ish tang.

Tastes like a good brown ale. I find that brown ales are one major stumbling block in my beer vocabulary. Here goes: chocolately chicory, woody brown with a mild earth and tea hop twang in back.

My first offering from the People's Pint. So far so good. Thanks James.

donkeyrunner, Jul 04, 2012
3.28/5  rDev -4.4%

22oz bottle purchased at the Spirit Haus, Amherst, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1" dense tan head over the deep, dark burgundy brew. Ample carbonation keep the head around, with nice frothy lacing prevalent. Aroma is medium to dark malts, with some sour fruitiness seemingly apparent. Taste is upfront with a plethora of grain, ranging from caramel to brown and beyond. The slight sour fruitiness portended by the nose kick in towards the middle, and pretty much discount the malt flavors, and dominate the aftertaste as well. Mouthfeel is slides over the tongue, and drinkability would be great as well, if not for the dominant fruitiness which I think has little place in a traditional brown. Teasing potential here, try it and maybe you'll have the experience I had hoped for.

ppoitras, Aug 02, 2005
3.6/5  rDev +5%

This is a pretty average brown ale. A nice but not very dark brown color, and a lot of red shining through. Smell and taste are good and malty, though there's not really a very roasty rich taste to this one, as I might expect. It's kind of sweet, nutty, and grainy. A little too grainy. Especially grainy and carbonated in the mouthfeel. Still pretty drinkable. A decent beer, but nothing outstanding for the style, and there are better beers by this company too.

twelvsies, May 10, 2005
2.25/5  rDev -34.4%

22oz bottle picked up in travels. Poured into big goblet.

A: Dark dark brown, with absolutely little to no head. The look of a beer that may have went bad. Not a good start.

S" Not good here either, too sweet no hops and something of a butter flavor. Detection and smell of something may have gone south.

T: A bit better than the aroma, something milk stout to it more than brown. I have to think this one got some kind of a bug or sat out too long, just not with it. The malty sweetness had a bizarre bite. I cant say it was horrible, but nothing in the way of a taste of a British brown.

M: Creamy texture with something of an oil backing.

D: I have to think the bottle may have been bad but this was really more awful as it was taken down. Sorry PP, but another thumbs down. If its the bottles, fix the problem but Im seeing a trend in these beers.

marcpal, Oct 11, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +10.8%

dark almost opaque brown, with a tan head.
grainy caramel toffee, witha sort of lactic sourness. it's pretty mild and not at all harsh though.
somewhat rich sweet caramel toffee in the flavor too, with the same tang that was detected in the smell, giving it a porter like quality, but lighter flavored. its not a bad sourness, but i wonder if it was intended.
medium body with low carbonation, it almost seems thin for the flavor.
decent drinkability, no real complaints, and a little different from the usual brown.

kmo1030, Dec 01, 2006
3.83/5  rDev +11.7%

Im pouring this bottle at room temp into a pint glass. The beer is a deep clear mahogany color with very little light passing through. A small yet very fizzy tan head foams up and recedes to a sturdy surface layer.
The aroma is all sweet malt with chocolate and brown sugar mixing with some toffee and caramel. Not a lot of hop presence to detect with my nose.
The first sip reveals a soft and silky body with some fizzy and prickly carbonation.
The flavor is chocolate and brown sugar with some roasted malt mixed in, again little to no hop presence. I get a hint of tartness in the background. Perhaps a little funky that would have been a problem in another 2-3 months. glad I opened it now as I dont think there is any distortion on the beer. Quite nice drinker.

sulldaddy, Jun 13, 2007
3.83/5  rDev +11.7%

A: A deep reddish brown that any piece of Ethan Allan furniture would be proud of.

S: Sweet malt - vanilla, coffee

T: Smooth malt flavor. Nutty, vanilla with a touch of coffee. Just a hint of bitterness to round things out. Definitely malty, but not cloying.

MF: Probably its most outstanding quality. Medium to full-bodied. Creamy, almost velvety.

D: A very smooth, easy to drink beer. A gret stand alone beer, perfect for relaxing after a long days labour, or as part of a hearty feast.

CavePainter, Jan 31, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours a three finger light tan head that fades quickly to a thin layer leaving a good lace. Almost black cloudy mahogany color. Roasted malt nose. Light-medium carbonation and light-medium bodied. Flavor is malty, smooth, not overly sweet - decent brown. $3.55 for a 22oz bottle from Ruggeri & Sons Greenfield, MA.

jdhilt, Dec 03, 2008