The People's Pint Imperial Stout - The People's Pint

The People's Pint visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-01-2004

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The People's Pint Imperial Stout Alström Bros

4.21/5  rDev +7.9%

2011 vintage. Outstanding flavor and aroma, quintessential RIS. Lots of boozy dark fruits and bitter chocolate. Drinks big for 9.5%. The carbonation was very low though possibly becuase of it's age. I'd love to try a fresh one.

4.27/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was a 2012 bottle drank in 2014

Let me state this this is a totally unfair review because I am pretty sure I have a bottle that got infected. My experience does not seem to match the other reviewers, this beer was FUNKY. The funny thing is, I still really liked it.

A - Pours dark, slightly translucent with reddish hues. Not much head, almost no lacing.

S - Kind of funky and sour. Has a strong sweet oder (lactose?). Slight malt and roast.

T - Wow, this is different. A slight pleasantly sour taste like sourdough bread. Bready, yeasty, and funky. But contrasting these odd flavors is the very strong sweetness of a milk stout. Really strange combo and I was taken aback. I do not believe this is what the brewers intended. I think I got a bad bottle, but for some reason I keep coming back to it. The flavor is growing on me. I like it, a happy mistake perhaps.

M - A bit thin, very little carbonation left.

O - I know, I need to try a fresh bottle. I am not sure what I have here.

3.64/5  rDev -6.7%

4.25/5  rDev +9%

4.83/5  rDev +23.8%

2013 wax top bottle poured into my DFH signature glass...

A - Black as night, frothy brown two finger head. Sensational sticky lace left all over the glass. Exactly how a RIS should look

S - Milk chocolate, egg nog, plums, raisins, white chocolate

T - Dark chocolate, coffee creamer, vanilla, a hint of tobacco, milk, cranberry fruit roll up, coffee finish

M - Huge thick body, low carbonation, creamy madness, exceptionally smooth

O - HOLY SHIT, wow. This is awesome, friggin awesome. Unfortunately this is a Western Mass brewery I hardly pay attention too. The bottle caught my eye the other day and I figured what the hell. Glad I did, this is truly world class. Checks every category. Right up on the Mount Rushmore of RIS with Darkness and Expedition for me. Great job Peoples Pint!

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

4.68/5  rDev +20%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle in red wax
Hand written with Red Sharpie marker 2013

A-Poured dark with a 1 inch head

S-Aroma of sweet chocolates and coffee that were very weak initially but really came out as beer warmed.

Mouthful- Thicker than expected. Very nice substantive feel in the mouth. Lovely thickness.

Taste- Initially big malts came through almost sweet. I don't know how to describe it, but similar to the sweetness of a milk stout (but not quite). Very enjoyable. Then after the initial sweetness comes the classic RIS bitterness of coffee and chocolate that lingers in the finish.

Overall- This surprised the hell out of me. This was covered with dust on a rack from a smaller liquor store. I bought it because I was looking for stouts and the red wax and the hand written "2013" caught my eye. I would agree with the Brothers high score (100). It really is up there with the best of the RISs I have ever tasted.
Why the hell aren't more people seeking out this brew? I guess there will be more for me, but this is quite a shame that others are not enjoying this too.
$12 for 22oz bomber is quite a bargain for this and I will be actively seeking this out every year.

The People's Pint Imperial Stout from The People's Pint