Nomad Stout - Cavalry Brewing

Nomad StoutNomad Stout

Cavalry Brewing
Connecticut, United States

Irish Dry Stout |  4.50% ABV

This dry Irish stout is smooth and flavorful with excellent malt and chocolate undertones.

(Beer added by: Durge on 07-04-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by Gambrinus1184:
3.78/5  rDev +20%

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into a Cavalry Brewing Co. pint glass:

A: Jet black body with cola-like highlighted edges and a very thin head of slightly creamy brown foam which had decent retention and left a thin ring of lace.

S: Roasted barley, carob, cocoa, a bit of coal and wood ashes dominate the aroma. A clear, herbal hop resin is noted as well.

T: Bittersweet roasted malt flavor which gives off flavors of bittersweet chocolate, black malts, a little licorice and anise flavoring to add to the roasted barley finish. The 50 IBUs are notable for giving the brew an earthy, herbal, bitter and slightly sticky finish. Lots of malt flavor given the low ABV.

M: Light-medium bodied with a little bit a watery, non-carbonated malt flavor, yet sticky, resinous hop bitterness. A little bit creamy, but not the best balance here.

D: There's no shortage of flavor given the low 4.5% ABV, but not the balance of creaminess, roasted malts and dry bitterness I look for in Irish stouts. Sort of an off-the-mark brew, but worthy of a try. Not exactly what I think of when having a dry Irish stout, but not too far off from it's Americanized brethren (i.e. Shipyard Blue Fin Stout).

Gambrinus1184, Sep 10, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Appearance: dark brown in color, one inch head, opaque

Smell: faint roasted malt

Taste: roasted malt and some chocolate malt

Mouthfeel: slightly sweet with a dry/bitter end, medium bodied, moderate carbonation

Drinkability: An average dry stout. Not bad, but nothing to go out of my way for either.

tigg924, Nov 29, 2010
3.33/5  rDev +5.7%

Dark-as-night-black, even when held to the light. Big, fluffy brown head that dissipates slowly and leaves nice lacing.

Aromas of roasted malt, oats, burnt toast, and a slight metallic twinge.

Taste is big on roasted malts with bitter chocolate, hop background and a day-old coffee bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel was a big disappointment with a barely medium feel. Watery and just slightly sticky with low carbonation.

I really wanted more out of this beer, especially after the pour was so promising. Overall an average session beer.

ThreeDimesDown, Oct 16, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +33.3%

L: Pours a deep black color with a medium bodied and hshort off white colored head that leaves a little lacing down the glass as it fades.
S: Smells of sweet roasted malts, deeper more burnt malts, oats, a bit of chocolate and a trace of hops at the end.
T: Tastes like the aroma with sweet roasted malts, more bitterly roasted malts, dark chocolate, and a hint of light earthy hops at the end of the beer.
M: Very crisp, fresh, refreshing, perfect amount of carbonation, medium bodied.
D: Very drinkable, this was a very sessionable stout. Nice flavors, mild abv, really well done.

erosier, Nov 21, 2010
1.43/5  rDev -54.6%

Look: As soon as the beer hits the glass it fills the glass with nothing but foam and about 1/4 inch of beer at the bottom. When the foam finally subsides the beer is black and totally opaque and leaves behind some lacing

Smell: Light roast some coffee and slightly metallic

Taste: Upfront is a bit of coffee and off putting acidity. It finishes with a bunch of roasted malt which creates a ash flavor

Mouthfeel: Medium body and a carbonation mess

Overall: Avoid avoid avoid. This beer is more than like infected and if it is not then it is just pure shit in a glass

DarthKostrizer, Dec 25, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep brown color, with a very large light brown head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is faint but contains roasted malts, chocolate, dark fruit, some coffee and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a dry and bitter-sweet dark chocolate flavor followed by a hearty roasted malt character. There are background flavors of coffee and dark fruit. The hops presence is mild as you would expect in the style and brings a little bit of balance. The after-taste is bitter-sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is dry and slightly sticky.

O: A little tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style, it’s a mediocre beer and there are several others that are better in the style.

TheManiacalOne, Nov 13, 2012
4.18/5  rDev +32.7%

sampling a cellar temp bottle poured into a pint glass. The bottle opens with a fizzy pop and pours dark cola brown into my glass.
A huge creamy tan head foams up even with the gentlest of pours, fills my glass after 3 oz is poured from the bottle. The head recedes very slowly, creating craters in the center and leaving some tight lattice on the sides of my glass.
Aroma is fairly mild but dominated by roasted malt notes and a little bit of baker's chocolate. Maybe a bit of roasted peanut too?
First sip reveals a very smooth textured beer with a fairly light body, which fits the style.
Very easy drinking with no hint of ABV, which is low, and only the faintest bitterness on the finish. This bite is all roasted grain and not from hops.
A nice drinking, easily sessionable beer. Another winner from Cavalry!
I gotta take a little off due to the overfoaming on the initial pour.

sulldaddy, Apr 26, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +23.8%

A : poured into a pint, a nice dark, almost impossible to see
through with a tight tan head. dissipates quickly.

S : a light stout aroma of toffee and coffee. Smells sweet and has a tinge of dark chocolate, only coming forth after a few whiffs. side note, all these aromas are on the light side.

T : unlike the aroma which is difficult to find, the taste is bold. immediate sweetness followed by a bolt of lightly roasted malt that runs the entire profile. Undertones of nicely burnt toffee and finishes cleanly with a tiny bit of sweet, spicey hop.

M : solid and full until the end. great carbonation levels for the style.

D : excellent. not heavy but not one of those super light stouts, this one is great

a great beer. A traditional stout with full flavor and easily drinkable. my only issue is the aroma, which is just so light, but that really doesn't matter does it. great stuff.

Thads324, Jan 28, 2011

chrispoint, Apr 11, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint Glass.

Thanks to Naugros for this bottle!

Gotta love the random extras, right? This one pours a bleak black-brown topped by over a finger of light tan foam. The nose is mostly composed of roasted malts, though some mild dark chocolate powder and light grass also enter into the equation, though potentially as results of human error (those damn scientists and mathematicians never learn...). The taste is similarly situated, with the roast just coming in way over-the-top-like. It's not necessarily overly roasted, but it's just nothing but roast, a one-note song if ever there was one (and I listen to Mattias IA Eklundh, so I know a thing or two about one-note songs, baby). The body is a light medium, with a high moderate carbonation and a dry-ish finish. Overall, this stout just didn't do it for me, what with the overabundance of roast and the overcarbonation. Oh well...

TMoney2591, Jan 26, 2012

KevMo84, May 23, 2014
3.25/5  rDev +3.2%

jaxon53, Jun 23, 2013

I thought I had done one of the worse overpours ever and wound up losing half the bottle to foam on the floor. After cleaning it up and pouring another very careful-like, I found that this beer is just extremely active once it gets out of the bottle. Being that careful I still only managed to save 3/4 of the bottle. Everything else turned into a mocha foam, much of which got sopped up by paper towels and a sponge. I don't know if I should give them credit for one serious monster head or knock them for going overboard and wasting a lot of the beer.

After smelling and tasting this stout I decided to give them credit for the head. Losing a bunch of the beer was merciful. The smell starts off okay, smelling more like a Belgian-style stout with dark fruit esters with roasted malts and a whiff of booze. But there was also traces of calcium and a smell that I can only describe as stale wine. The minerals are stronger on the tongue but so are the roasts. Some bitter, unsweetened chocolate makes a showing.

This is very thin for almost any style of stout, but does come closer to a milk stout than an Irish dry stout in the sense that it is a bit chalky. It remained very bitter even after warming up.

At the bottom of the glass there are what appear to be lees. I wasn't aware that this was bottle-conditioned, but it would explain the mondo foaming action. It would also explain the dark fruit sense, as the yeast continued to pump esters into the beer after bottling. This has got to be my least favorite stout I have ever tasted and this is one of the highest rated beers Cavalry offers. I doubt I'll try another.

Naugros, Aug 29, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +13.7%

This beer poured the obvious color with a lighter head than I'd have expected.

Stouts are not my favorite beer type but I found this one pretty enjoyable. It looks as you'd expect a stout to look. Not very hoppy at all, not too bitter. It has a cleanly, lightly toasted flavor.

This beer was more dry than I'd have expected. I'm not the type to have stout very often but when I'm in the mood it's quite nice and I found this beer to suit the moodly nicely.

chefelf, Sep 04, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -30.2%

This beer, when poured as slowly into a glass as possible after being careful moved from a fridge where it had sitting for days, poured an offwhite tan head. A minute later a dark beer began to appear under the foam.

Nose has a decent dark malt, sweet and little hoppy smell.

Taste is over the top carbonation with when let sit for it go away has a dull muted coffee and roasted malt flavor. Very bitter with an old coffee sort of bitter flavor. Its really hard to make out any strong fresh flavors because the carbonation needs to die before you can drink it and that point you're drinking dead foam more than beer.

I'm sorry. I bought a full mixed case of Cavalry beers while in CT and every single bottle was overcarbonated, this style being the worst. One bottle exploded and sprayed my ceiling and two were drain pours after giving up on the carbonation. I'm sure its a decent beer, but its just sooo overcarbonated(and again, this was all 24 beers I drank). I will not being trying these beers again any time soon.

taez555, Sep 04, 2011

HopStoopid120, Nov 15, 2011

Another generous offering from the Cavalry Brewery open house tasting last month, this familiar stout on cask shows a solid brown-black color with a healthy tan head and modest lacing. The aroma is a deep and tasty swamp malt and some chocolaty charcoal, very nice. The flavor says sharp charcoal smoke and more terse malt base. It’s solidly medium bodied but sort of aqueous to allow good drinkability considering the fairly intense flavor. Carbonation for a cask is fine but very full and makes for a smooth, slightly chalky feel. This has great personality. There is a hint of lemon highlight. Right up there with the Marauder as the best of Cavalry for my tastes. However, as usual with Cavalry, I find the lack of hop punch to be a negative overall, and here again, a little more would push it up a notch in my mind.

Durge, Jul 04, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +11.1%

rorjets, Feb 10, 2013
3.53/5  rDev +12.1%

This is an interesting offering from a local-to-me brewer.

The body on this stout is as black as pitch. Gently pouring the ale into a tumbler, in my normal "stout-careful" fashion, produced virtually no head. On a following bottle I gave a good vigorous purging and barely brought the head to the top of the glass, although more of the tan color and medium fizz could be temporarily appreciated. Minimal lacing, here.

Smells are excellent, giving a deep, sweet chocolate, with strong complimenting vanilla, nut, roasted espresso and yeast.

Flavor follows the nose, but comes together as a sort of slightly soured chocolate milk...in a good way, if that makes sense. Ironically, despite billing as an Irish Dry Stout, I get more Milk or Cream Stout with this.

Mouthfeel is where this beer looses points, at least upon initial consumption. This stuff is bright and carbonated, almost like soda. That's just wrong for a stout, IMO, which should be smooth out of the gates. After 10-15 minutesm though, the fizz resides and offers a more palatable tongue. Finish is slightly dry, just enough to request additional sips. Aftertaste is just very slightly sour minutes after.

Overall, a good effort here. The flavor and aroma counterbalance the funky carbonation just enough to make it moderately enjoyable. Not the worst stout I've had, not the best. I'd drink it again, but definitely wouldn't kill myself to seek it out. If Cavalry is reading this, reduce the fizz and you might have yourself a truly competitive stout.

***[Just as a revisit to my initial review a month ago, I'm enjoying this stout more as a consequence of...less carbonation??? I don't understand the aging process of ale in a bottle enough to verify my suspicions, but I assume that extra time on the shelf of my cool basement reduced the fizz...is that possible??? Bottling date is Feb 15, 2012. My first review was March 15 with an infant-like bottle, when I blasted this stout for over-carbonation. Now, nearly five weeks later (April 18, 2012), I am enjoying another Nomad but without the distracting sizzle. I've never done a follow-up review before, but felt this was a significant reason to do so. Really not a bad stout. I'm happy to support local brewers. Knowing this might inspire me to purchase another six-pack in the future with the intent of letting it sit a while before cracking into it. As a reference, my initial review was a 3.4. I am increasing the appearance from 2.5>3.0, and the mouthfeel from 2.0>3.0]

datalager, Mar 15, 2012
1.23/5  rDev -61%

Well I bought a sixer. A stout and porter devotee who never critcizes. I still have the 3 remaining of the six pack 3 weeks later and that is a record.
I will not attempt to blast away with tasting terminology. I will relate my experience.
First beer opened immediately down by the river as geared up for some fly fishing. A quick sniff and then a what the f.xz86! Should have bought a back-up sixer just in case the beer had gone bad. You know heat or something happening during transport. No time to read where it was brewed. Fishing time is precious.
1.Way over carbonated
By the way I work 14 hours a day and love every minute of it, but my free time and beer drinking time are beyond valuation; you all know what I mean.

The carbonation was so intense tha I devised a whole system of how to release the massive carbonation so that I could drink it out of the bottle. I know it is meant to be poured. so, don't go there. Gave it a little gentle shake to release some carbo and created Mount Vesuvious.
Drank it down, a 99 on the belch scale.
2. Nose a little yeasty.
Ten days later I gave the Nomad a proper taste. Poured it carefully into my beer clean, Irish pint glass and immediately called for the cleaning crew. What the f.xz86. I was tempted, after I finally got it all in the glass, to grab a shot of IRA and drop it in and enjoy a Car Bomb. The damn thing looked a mess in the glass, worse that Curldle coated pint after a Car Bomb.
3. The head:If you swirl it around the narly swiss cheese head settles right down like a root beer.
4.The beer was still carbonated!!, had a hint of character, but really was just "thin".

Then I read the lable. " Using the finest hops and barley available." What the word available means to me is that they used what they had. Take out the word available and you are using the finest. plain and simple.

Bottom line, if you read all the reviews it would seem that the beer is never the same.
Hey i still have 3 bottles left.
I am going to store them for 20 years and then give it another chance. Nomad, one who is ever changing location; Nomad Stout, a stout that is ever changing full of deception.

Pouringpro, Jun 01, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A gift from my mentor, or sensei if you will, 12 fl oz poured into a pint glass.

One of the good things about being me is that I have a really good friend who gives me beers that I haven't had with some frequency. As a part of the symbiotic relationship, I find it the least I could do to cover him when we go out drinking and socializing, over his sincere objections. I don't mind one bit. But this has nothing to do with reviewing this beer, so let's get it on.

I learned from my sensei that this produces an incredible head; he wasn't kidding. Even with a super-careful pour, the head took up two thirds of the glass' volume. Nice beige color, the liquid portion is good and dark chocolate. This has potential.

The U.S. Open tennis tournament is on, and I'm watching two guys running around. I'd much rather be seeing Caroline Wozniacki, or Andrea Petkovic or Ana Ivanovic, but I digress. It's a strong smell, but not a good strong smell. It's coffee, mocha, then fruity hops, kind of lemony. It's alright.

Oh, the taste - very disappointing. It's very bitter, when I was expecting it to taste more like it smelled. I get unsweetened dark chocolate, and not much else. I suppose I was spoiled by some other stouts I've tried in the past, but this does not measure up.

The mouthfeel is not impressive at all - it's light-bodied, watery, over-carbonated, and does not wash over the palate well. What a bummer.

If this is what Connecticut has to offer in terms of beer, I've got to send a letter to Sen. Joe Lieberman, imploring him to make new law for state craft beer standards. I'm glad I didn't pay for this.

bogus564, Sep 04, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours a dark brown with a bit of off-white head. Very dark. Smells sweet and roasty. Lots of sweetness more than anything else on the nose. Tastes a bit thin. Lots of roast but not much malt backbone to back it up. Being an english dry stout I guess that is to be expected. Very dry. Sweet and dry in a good combination. Overall a bit thin but decent mouthfeel and fairly drinkable.

Urbancaver, Feb 25, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +26.3%

Thanks to cmitchell for the bottle!

A-black with no head whatsoever.
S-very odd. Sweet, but can't quite put much else on it.
T-alot like it smells. Very sweet and malty. Dry coffee aftertaste.
M-medium bodied and smooth with a nice coffee after taste.
D-very drinkable. Im very happy to try this!

brew3crew, Feb 25, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +11.1%

agreenman19, Nov 01, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +34%

A: Stout black pour, one inch khaki head.

S: Roasted malt and oats. Maybe a touch of chocolate? The aroma is somewhat faint but clean and pleasant.

T: Mostly roast with hints of bittersweet chocolate and coffee. Smoke begins to emerge as the glass warms. Well balanced and in my opinion well crafted. This could be one of my favorite session-able stouts.

M: Medium body, lots of carbonation. The finish is a bit watery.

O: Great stout, easy to drink. A fine representation of the style.

zoolzoo, Mar 29, 2011