Nomad Stout - Cavalry Brewing

Nomad StoutNomad Stout

Cavalry Brewing
Connecticut, United States

Irish Dry Stout |  4.50% ABV

This dry Irish stout is smooth and flavorful with excellent malt and chocolate undertones.

(Beer added by: Durge on 07-04-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

1.23/5  rDev -61%

Well I bought a sixer. A stout and porter devotee who never critcizes. I still have the 3 remaining of the six pack 3 weeks later and that is a record.
I will not attempt to blast away with tasting terminology. I will relate my experience.
First beer opened immediately down by the river as geared up for some fly fishing. A quick sniff and then a what the f.xz86! Should have bought a back-up sixer just in case the beer had gone bad. You know heat or something happening during transport. No time to read where it was brewed. Fishing time is precious.
1.Way over carbonated
By the way I work 14 hours a day and love every minute of it, but my free time and beer drinking time are beyond valuation; you all know what I mean.

The carbonation was so intense tha I devised a whole system of how to release the massive carbonation so that I could drink it out of the bottle. I know it is meant to be poured. so, don't go there. Gave it a little gentle shake to release some carbo and created Mount Vesuvious.
Drank it down, a 99 on the belch scale.
2. Nose a little yeasty.
Ten days later I gave the Nomad a proper taste. Poured it carefully into my beer clean, Irish pint glass and immediately called for the cleaning crew. What the f.xz86. I was tempted, after I finally got it all in the glass, to grab a shot of IRA and drop it in and enjoy a Car Bomb. The damn thing looked a mess in the glass, worse that Curldle coated pint after a Car Bomb.
3. The head:If you swirl it around the narly swiss cheese head settles right down like a root beer.
4.The beer was still carbonated!!, had a hint of character, but really was just "thin".

Then I read the lable. " Using the finest hops and barley available." What the word available means to me is that they used what they had. Take out the word available and you are using the finest. plain and simple.

Bottom line, if you read all the reviews it would seem that the beer is never the same.
Hey i still have 3 bottles left.
I am going to store them for 20 years and then give it another chance. Nomad, one who is ever changing location; Nomad Stout, a stout that is ever changing full of deception.

1.43/5  rDev -54.6%

Look: As soon as the beer hits the glass it fills the glass with nothing but foam and about 1/4 inch of beer at the bottom. When the foam finally subsides the beer is black and totally opaque and leaves behind some lacing

Smell: Light roast some coffee and slightly metallic

Taste: Upfront is a bit of coffee and off putting acidity. It finishes with a bunch of roasted malt which creates a ash flavor

Mouthfeel: Medium body and a carbonation mess

Overall: Avoid avoid avoid. This beer is more than like infected and if it is not then it is just pure shit in a glass

1.5/5  rDev -52.4%

Holy head!!! Let it hit the glass and run because the head will consume you and everything else on your block. haha It was literally undrinkable! A shot filled the glass with head and it remained for over 2 hours when I finally gave up and dumped it. The splash below the foam tasted horrific. It was bitter, like an IPA. Cool looking label, that's about all I can say for it. I've kept the remaining 5 for entertainment purposes at parties. It's the kind of beer you give someone you don't like. lol

2.2/5  rDev -30.2%

This beer, when poured as slowly into a glass as possible after being careful moved from a fridge where it had sitting for days, poured an offwhite tan head. A minute later a dark beer began to appear under the foam.

Nose has a decent dark malt, sweet and little hoppy smell.

Taste is over the top carbonation with when let sit for it go away has a dull muted coffee and roasted malt flavor. Very bitter with an old coffee sort of bitter flavor. Its really hard to make out any strong fresh flavors because the carbonation needs to die before you can drink it and that point you're drinking dead foam more than beer.

I'm sorry. I bought a full mixed case of Cavalry beers while in CT and every single bottle was overcarbonated, this style being the worst. One bottle exploded and sprayed my ceiling and two were drain pours after giving up on the carbonation. I'm sure its a decent beer, but its just sooo overcarbonated(and again, this was all 24 beers I drank). I will not being trying these beers again any time soon.

2.2/5  rDev -30.2%

Thanks to ManVersusBeer for this bottle.

A: Pours with a massive head! Is there beer under this bubbly tan cloud? Ohh yes. There it is. It's a nice silky black. It begins to come into it's own once the carbonation settles.

S: My first thought are hops, rust, and a touch of sweet malt. There is also a slight floral (almost rose like) smell to it. It's different. Not exactly what I was expecting from a stout.

T: The initial hit is sweet milk chocolate, but that gives way to a rusty taste, and then it finishes with big citric acid. The finish is very unpleasant.

M: Full bodied beer that starts off smooth, but then quickly turns dry. That drying make this beer have a sharpness that lingers for awhile and it finishes with a sting.

O: I'm not a fan of this beer at all. From the super carbonated pours, to the rusty smell, to the acidic finish... No thanks. I won't be seeking this beer out again.

2.33/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My first brew from this relatively new local brewery.

A - a stout is a stout. and this one is no exception in the color department. It's as black as it should be.It does well up more head than I expected, 3/4 the glass. The head is foamy and light brown.

S - a musty malty smell hits first. An earthy, basementy mustiness. The malts are roasted and a but chocolatey.

T - the bitter mustiness persists to the flavor. as it warms the mustiness relents a little into a malty hoppy bitterness. Not a fan. I like my stouts balanced with some malty sweetness, or simply just flavor. No coffee or chocolate elements I like in my stout.

M&D - not the same body I'd expect from an IDS, nor the flavor. THe mustiness was off putting and I couldnt make it through the rest of the glass. Not a great stout, but I will try this brwery again.

2.63/5  rDev -16.5%

On-tap at Mikro into a shaker pint.

A: Black body with an inch of frothy, pillowy light-brown foam on top. Great retention but mediocre lacing. Pretty nice.

S: Dry, roasty coffe and some raw chocolate malt. Great intensity, but damn rough and unintegrated.

T: Roasted malt and bitter coffee are all I'm getting here. Thin and harsh; again, I'm impressed with the intensity of flavor - it's just unfortunate that it's intensely bad.

M: Watery in body and sharp in carbonation. No thanks.

D: The astringency of the roast really takes over the aftertaste, and it's genuinely unpleasant to keep drinking. Horribly undrinkable for such a low-ABV beer.

Notes: I'm all for nigh-session stouts with lots of flavor, but I'm sorry to say that Cavalry really has a ways to go on making this one a success. This stout just goes way overboard on the roasted malt astringency, making it a chore to drink. The watery body doesn't help matters at all, as there were times when you could have convinced me that I was drinking a bad cup of cold coffee. I don't know if there's any way to up the body on such a low-strength beer, but they should really look into it. I'm not, of course, looking for sweetness from a dry stout, but just a bit of heft could give a platform for the malts. I wish Cavalry the best, and hope that their other offerings are superior to this one.

Cheers!

2.8/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A gift from my mentor, or sensei if you will, 12 fl oz poured into a pint glass.

One of the good things about being me is that I have a really good friend who gives me beers that I haven't had with some frequency. As a part of the symbiotic relationship, I find it the least I could do to cover him when we go out drinking and socializing, over his sincere objections. I don't mind one bit. But this has nothing to do with reviewing this beer, so let's get it on.

I learned from my sensei that this produces an incredible head; he wasn't kidding. Even with a super-careful pour, the head took up two thirds of the glass' volume. Nice beige color, the liquid portion is good and dark chocolate. This has potential.

The U.S. Open tennis tournament is on, and I'm watching two guys running around. I'd much rather be seeing Caroline Wozniacki, or Andrea Petkovic or Ana Ivanovic, but I digress. It's a strong smell, but not a good strong smell. It's coffee, mocha, then fruity hops, kind of lemony. It's alright.

Oh, the taste - very disappointing. It's very bitter, when I was expecting it to taste more like it smelled. I get unsweetened dark chocolate, and not much else. I suppose I was spoiled by some other stouts I've tried in the past, but this does not measure up.

The mouthfeel is not impressive at all - it's light-bodied, watery, over-carbonated, and does not wash over the palate well. What a bummer.

If this is what Connecticut has to offer in terms of beer, I've got to send a letter to Sen. Joe Lieberman, imploring him to make new law for state craft beer standards. I'm glad I didn't pay for this.

I thought I had done one of the worse overpours ever and wound up losing half the bottle to foam on the floor. After cleaning it up and pouring another very careful-like, I found that this beer is just extremely active once it gets out of the bottle. Being that careful I still only managed to save 3/4 of the bottle. Everything else turned into a mocha foam, much of which got sopped up by paper towels and a sponge. I don't know if I should give them credit for one serious monster head or knock them for going overboard and wasting a lot of the beer.

After smelling and tasting this stout I decided to give them credit for the head. Losing a bunch of the beer was merciful. The smell starts off okay, smelling more like a Belgian-style stout with dark fruit esters with roasted malts and a whiff of booze. But there was also traces of calcium and a smell that I can only describe as stale wine. The minerals are stronger on the tongue but so are the roasts. Some bitter, unsweetened chocolate makes a showing.

This is very thin for almost any style of stout, but does come closer to a milk stout than an Irish dry stout in the sense that it is a bit chalky. It remained very bitter even after warming up.

At the bottom of the glass there are what appear to be lees. I wasn't aware that this was bottle-conditioned, but it would explain the mondo foaming action. It would also explain the dark fruit sense, as the yeast continued to pump esters into the beer after bottling. This has got to be my least favorite stout I have ever tasted and this is one of the highest rated beers Cavalry offers. I doubt I'll try another.

3.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Appearance: dark brown in color, one inch head, opaque

Smell: faint roasted malt

Taste: roasted malt and some chocolate malt

Mouthfeel: slightly sweet with a dry/bitter end, medium bodied, moderate carbonation

Drinkability: An average dry stout. Not bad, but nothing to go out of my way for either.

3.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep brown color, with a very large light brown head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is faint but contains roasted malts, chocolate, dark fruit, some coffee and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a dry and bitter-sweet dark chocolate flavor followed by a hearty roasted malt character. There are background flavors of coffee and dark fruit. The hops presence is mild as you would expect in the style and brings a little bit of balance. The after-taste is bitter-sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is dry and slightly sticky.

O: A little tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style, it’s a mediocre beer and there are several others that are better in the style.

3.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint Glass.

Thanks to Naugros for this bottle!

Gotta love the random extras, right? This one pours a bleak black-brown topped by over a finger of light tan foam. The nose is mostly composed of roasted malts, though some mild dark chocolate powder and light grass also enter into the equation, though potentially as results of human error (those damn scientists and mathematicians never learn...). The taste is similarly situated, with the roast just coming in way over-the-top-like. It's not necessarily overly roasted, but it's just nothing but roast, a one-note song if ever there was one (and I listen to Mattias IA Eklundh, so I know a thing or two about one-note songs, baby). The body is a light medium, with a high moderate carbonation and a dry-ish finish. Overall, this stout just didn't do it for me, what with the overabundance of roast and the overcarbonation. Oh well...

3.25/5  rDev +3.2%

3.25/5  rDev +3.2%

3.33/5  rDev +5.7%

Dark-as-night-black, even when held to the light. Big, fluffy brown head that dissipates slowly and leaves nice lacing.

Aromas of roasted malt, oats, burnt toast, and a slight metallic twinge.

Taste is big on roasted malts with bitter chocolate, hop background and a day-old coffee bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel was a big disappointment with a barely medium feel. Watery and just slightly sticky with low carbonation.

I really wanted more out of this beer, especially after the pour was so promising. Overall an average session beer.

3.5/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark black with some light ruby tones around the edges. Small tan head that fades quickly.

S: Lots of roasted malt character in the aroma. Hints of dark chocolate and coffee.

T: Toasted malt upfront. Same as the aroma, bittersweet chocolate, fresh brewed coffee with hints of tobacco and tar. Finishes with some light hop bitterness.

M: This beer is way too light for the style. Very watery.

D: This is a decent stout, but too light. I love to support local brewers, but I think they missed the mark with this one. Enjoyable, but nothing really noteworthy that will make me want to keep buying it. That said, I look forward to trying other offerings from Cavalry.

3.53/5  rDev +12.1%

This is an interesting offering from a local-to-me brewer.

The body on this stout is as black as pitch. Gently pouring the ale into a tumbler, in my normal "stout-careful" fashion, produced virtually no head. On a following bottle I gave a good vigorous purging and barely brought the head to the top of the glass, although more of the tan color and medium fizz could be temporarily appreciated. Minimal lacing, here.

Smells are excellent, giving a deep, sweet chocolate, with strong complimenting vanilla, nut, roasted espresso and yeast.

Flavor follows the nose, but comes together as a sort of slightly soured chocolate milk...in a good way, if that makes sense. Ironically, despite billing as an Irish Dry Stout, I get more Milk or Cream Stout with this.

Mouthfeel is where this beer looses points, at least upon initial consumption. This stuff is bright and carbonated, almost like soda. That's just wrong for a stout, IMO, which should be smooth out of the gates. After 10-15 minutesm though, the fizz resides and offers a more palatable tongue. Finish is slightly dry, just enough to request additional sips. Aftertaste is just very slightly sour minutes after.

Overall, a good effort here. The flavor and aroma counterbalance the funky carbonation just enough to make it moderately enjoyable. Not the worst stout I've had, not the best. I'd drink it again, but definitely wouldn't kill myself to seek it out. If Cavalry is reading this, reduce the fizz and you might have yourself a truly competitive stout.

***[Just as a revisit to my initial review a month ago, I'm enjoying this stout more as a consequence of...less carbonation??? I don't understand the aging process of ale in a bottle enough to verify my suspicions, but I assume that extra time on the shelf of my cool basement reduced the fizz...is that possible??? Bottling date is Feb 15, 2012. My first review was March 15 with an infant-like bottle, when I blasted this stout for over-carbonation. Now, nearly five weeks later (April 18, 2012), I am enjoying another Nomad but without the distracting sizzle. I've never done a follow-up review before, but felt this was a significant reason to do so. Really not a bad stout. I'm happy to support local brewers. Knowing this might inspire me to purchase another six-pack in the future with the intent of letting it sit a while before cracking into it. As a reference, my initial review was a 3.4. I am increasing the appearance from 2.5>3.0, and the mouthfeel from 2.0>3.0]

3.53/5  rDev +12.1%

Out of the bottle into a pint glass, this pours a solid black under a very persistent and monstrously huge rocky foam head. Aroma is a mild blend of light metallic noted dark roasted malt and light sweetness. Mouthfeel is robustly carbonated with a solid roasted malt backbone. Notes of dark roasted bitter coffee and mild cream dance along into a dry finish.

3.58/5  rDev +13.7%

This beer poured the obvious color with a lighter head than I'd have expected.

Stouts are not my favorite beer type but I found this one pretty enjoyable. It looks as you'd expect a stout to look. Not very hoppy at all, not too bitter. It has a cleanly, lightly toasted flavor.

This beer was more dry than I'd have expected. I'm not the type to have stout very often but when I'm in the mood it's quite nice and I found this beer to suit the moodly nicely.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »