Sparkling Pear - Fullsteam Brewery

Fullsteam Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  9.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: atsprings on 04-08-2011)
Reviews by atsprings:
3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

On-tap at Flying Saucer served in a standard pint glass a crisp straw yellow with a thin lasting off white head that leaves decent lacing on the glass. Aroma is sweet fruits and mild spice. The taste is a nice subtle amount of pear in front of sweet malts and mild spice, I was worried this one would taste more like a cider than a beer, but that is certainly not the case! The beer is quite light bodied with crisp smooth carbonation, and very well hidden alcohol. This is a very enjoyable beer, one that would really hit the spot on a hot North Carolina summer day.

atsprings, Apr 08, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +7.6%

Tasted 4/9/11 at the World Beer Fest Raleigh with Fuqua Beer Club.

Nice, bright straw color with a bubbly white head. Some funky farmhouse character (hay) in the nose, but little sign of the pear.

Clean on the palate, with more funky barn elements and a clean, crisp finish. Incredibly dry and champagne-like. Not much in the way of the namesake pear, though.

A very good beer, but I'd like to be able to taste the pear a touch. Still, too little pear is better than too much.

RockyTopHeel, Apr 11, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -7.3%

I had a glass of this at the brewery. Pours a crystal clear light gold, with a thin ring of white head. Has a bready smell, and if a really put my imagination to it...just a slight hint of fruit. Taste follows suit...bready, but very crisp and clean. I'm not really getting any pear here...but perhaps it's just so subtle, and I expected much more, that my taste buds are ignoring the tiny bit that's there....but perhaps I'll pass final judgment on that when i try it again. The mouthfeel is rather delightful, extremely crisp and light...dare I say...sparkling :) , and a very clean and dry finish.

Overall...I would have liked to taste more pear, but I was majorly impressed with how well the 9% ABV is hidden. Honestly, I was hoping this was going to be more tart and fruity sweet...like a sour. In fact, it they would have thrown some bacteria and brett in with the pears, aged it longer...I think this would have made a fantastic sour. (hint, hint)

Beerness, May 18, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

whartontallboy, Jan 02, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

Brought to me by my brother along with a first frost.

Pours a clear yellow color with a half inch of head. Leaves a good amount of lacing.

Smell is of apples and bread.

Taste is of apples, bread, pears, slight acidity. Tiny bit of alcohol burn, but not overly integrated or balanced.

Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated and somewhere between moderate and light mouthfeel.

Overall its a good beer. The taste is a bit of a mess, could you-se some time, but nothing is bad.

bs870621345, May 16, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -4.6%

Thanks to Chad for sharing this one. I'd never heard of this series, but the concept is intriguing - let's see how the execution holds up. Served in a Darkness glass.

A - A finger of white foam settles to a thin cap, leaving behind a thicker collar and spotty lacework. Transparent golden body - obviously filtered if there was fruit in here.

S - Well, it does smell like pears, just not the pear aromas I was expecting. It's more of a Bosc pear skin and perfume aroma than the sweet, juicy, pear flesh I was anticipating. The aroma is filled out with some slightly vomity and herbal hops, a bit of bread, and phenolic farmhouse yeast. Not the most appealing combination of flavors in my book.

T - Taste is a touch better, as the vomit note has disappeared. Mostly pear skins, spicy yeast, a bit of pale malts. Reminds me of the Almanac Summer 2010 Vintage bit, but without the buttery oak (and the corresponding dearth of the advertised fruit flavor).

M - Very dry and slightly champagne-like. Pleasant active carbonation, medium body, and well-hidden alcohol.

D - Does mostly what it promised, albeit not in the ways I expected. Just not my favorite combination of flavors here, or perhaps these locally foraged pears just aren't very good ones? An interesting beer to try, but I'd be hesitant to try other beers in the series without hearing some positive feedback first.

MasterSki, Sep 05, 2011
Sparkling Pear from Fullsteam Brewery
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.