Hoptologist DIPA - Knee Deep Brewing Company

Hoptologist DIPAHoptologist DIPA

Knee Deep Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: kevanb on 12-03-2011

An American Double India Pale Ale that packs a punch when it comes to hops. The aroma and flavors will give you citrus and pine with a slight malt sweetness that finishes dry.
to view more.
Ratings: 780 | Reviews: 144
4.82/5  rDev +22%

On tap at The Yardhouse.
Hard to believe is 9%. Amazing piney/citrusy fragrance: Knee Deep just tweaked a perfect balance of hops and malt. The taste follows the aroma: Really enjoyed this beer from start to finish.
I would definitely try this in bottle format.

3.86/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Bottled on date of 03/19/15

Appearance - Pours clear and golden in color with a white, finger width head. Good retention, breaking down to a thin film of suds across the surface. Lacing is spotty to streaky with good stick.

Smell - Mellow pine dank with a touch of citrus.

Taste - Follows the nose. Flavorful, but mellow pine with a lesser notes of orange. Touches of stonefruit pit nuttiness. Mild citrus pith bitterness in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Solid medium body with moderate carbonation. Smooth going down before a dry finish.

Overall - Not huge into pine-forward IPA's, yet this one brought a nice, easy approach. Still, not quite my cup of tea, so despite the high score, it's unlikely I'd buy again.

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Had this one sitting in my fridge and finally cracked it open. Date on bottle was 8/22/14. 9 months later and here's my score: it still was drinkable to me, the taste was awesome, I love the hops and the sweetness it packs, the bitterness is decent, for the 9% it goes down pretty smooth and I can appreciate that. I'll buy it again to try a fresher one.

4.76/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle of hoptologist DIPA drank.

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Freakin AWESOME! This DIPA packs the hoppy punch I crave! watch out, it's 9% ABV! Nice light amber color, medium head, not sweet, very drinkable! Fantastic!

4.27/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I think if I blind tasted this next to Sucks, I wouldn't tell the difference. This was very good. On the piney side versus juicy. Medium carbonation and mouthfil. If I see this again I will def purchase.

4.19/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

First Knee Deep brewing beer for me, quite excited. Bottle has a bottled on stamp in December 2014. Getting towards the 3-4 month mark, which is a little concerning but this being a big DIPA I hope the freshness is not much of an issue. Poured from bomber into a tulip glass.

Look: really dark coloring for this style. Brown, bit of ruby, pours a nice thin white head that dissipates quickly. Must be a fairly interesting malt bill to provide this coloring.

Smell: big blast of C hops and Simcoe. Smell is not fruity or citrusy, this is the piney, resinous, grass and forest variety. There's a hint of a pleasant onion flavoring as well. Usually with a less fresh beer the smell goes first, fantastic to see this still has an awesome smell. Would love to see how much stronger it is fresh.

Taste: similar to the smell, on the front is an excellent hop medley of flavors: floral, pine, herbs, serious dankness. This is balanced by a hefty malt backbone bringing forth a bit of caramel and sweetness. The beer ends with a smooth, dry, slightly bitter finish. Really a great combination of flavors, this is one I am enjoying sipping and taking my time.

Feel: balanced, smooth mouth feel. Not overly thick or thin. Just in the middle of the spectrum nicely.

Overall: really enjoyed this big beer. It is loaded up with a plethora of hops but balanced by a nice malt sweetness to not be too bitter. I don't know the hops used, but definitely feels like a mixture of centennial, Simcoe, cascade and maybe chinook. This is not a juicy, fruity, citrusy IPA for those that like that style. This is on the piney end. Best comparisons I can make would be if you upped Two Hearted to a DIPA or it is somewhat comparable to Pliny the Elder.

3.96/5  rDev +0.3%

From a bomber dated 8/13/14. 6 1/2 months old. Man I want a fresh one. Think my score would be higher. Good tasting beer.

3.94/5  rDev -0.3%

DE bar 2/28/15

Bottle date 8/12/14 so I can't give a fair rating. A little on the malt smell and taste so I think it's on the downside of its life. However it has good promise. The citrus still comes through enough to make me want to try again.

4.19/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a bottle at the brewery - dated 2/19, super fresh!
Appearance: Poured clear, slightly orange color. Two finger thick white head, very good retention and lacing.
Smell: Nice fruity, piney and grassy aromas. Not much malt smell, the hops are really dominant in this one.
Taste: Lots of citrus, some piney flavors, slight onion flavor as well. Got some nice sweetness on the finish.
Mouthfeel: Nice creamy feel, lingers very well.
Overall: Damn this is one tasty beer. Sure wish we could get this in Colorado!

This beer will slap yo momma in the face with hops

3.96/5  rDev +0.3%

Amber hazy color with a thick head with short retention.
Aroma with notes of grapefruit, pine, caramels and passion fruit.
Citrusy flavor with notes of grapefruit, tea leaves, pine, resin, grass, caramel malt and candied sugar. Dry aftertaste with a long bitterness.
Bordering medium body with appropriate carbonation. Slightly acid. Alcohol of 9% abv positively contributes to its flavor.
Very nice citrusy DIPA, it does not feel heavy and it has a good balance of citrus-herbal and pine (ps. tons of it).

4.71/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Another good one from Knee deep, they don't make bad IPA's

2.42/5  rDev -38.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.75

I had always heard people describe beers as onion and garlic flavors, never tasted those myself in a beer. This changed that in a major way. Look and feel are pleasant but the nose and taste are straight garlic and onions. First drain pour in a while.

2.46/5  rDev -37.7%

I wouldn't order it again

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Good intial hoppy taste. Really sweet. The malty taste is very apparent but also subtle. More subtle than Sierra Nevada boot camp ipa

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

Love the aroma, weed was the first thing that came to mind but I did just get done October in California. Nice bitterness that wasn't too overwhelming and went really well with the 9% ABV very smooth well balanced beer with tons of flavor.

3.86/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Favorite

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

Had this in 22's a few times. This time was some unknown amount into an unknown size tulip at Eureka! in San Diego. The color was such a lovely orangy-amber that was really playing well in the sunset. The aroma was a promise of piney with some tropical back. Flavor delivered on the promise made by the aroma. Nice sticky finish to hold the flavor. This goes into my DIPA pantheon and will be a regular purchase. Great stuff.

Admittedly, I seem to like a lot of Knee Deep's offerings.

3.27/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I picked up a bottle of Knee Deep Brewing Company's Hoptologist DIPA last week for $8.99 at The Lager Mill. I have never tried any beers from this brewery and I didn't even know they were available in Michigan till i saw a bottle of this sitting on the shelf. I'm interested in giving this brewery a try, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 6/25/14. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks good, it goes well wit the name, I like the design and I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a very dark orange color that didn't really let any light come through and it had a little over two fingers worth of creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left sticky and patchy lacing behind. This beer didn't look that great, the head was nice, but the color was didn't look good.

S- The aroma starts off with a pretty high amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a nice fruity aroma with some tropical fruits and citrus rind like aromas sticking out the most and when combined with the sweetness they have a candied fruit like aroma with some piney and pretty light green onion hops showing up in the background, Up next comes a caramel malt aroma with some sweet malts also showing up and there's some doughy yeast coming through in the background. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, I like the candied fruit aspect, but it would be a little better without the green onion.

T= The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but a little lighter and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart the exact same aspect that it did in the aroma, but this time the candied fruit is a little lighter and the green onion is a little stronger. Up next comes a light alcohol flavor that's just barely warming and it's followed by the malts that impart the same aspects that it did in the aroma with the caramel malt flavors sticking out the most and there's still some doughy yeast coming through in the background. On the finish it had medium amount of bitterness with a hoppy aftertaste.. This was a decent tasting beer, but i wish it had more of that candied fruit aspect that it had in the aroma with out the stronger green onion aspect.

M- Smooth, not overly bitter, not too crisp, a little watery, medium bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. This beer had an Ok mouthfeel, but it seemed a little flat and watery to me.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I thought it was an average example of the style, it had some nice aspects to it, but it also had more than a few off aspects that really held this beer back in the end. This beer didn't have great drinkability, it was smooth, not overly bitter, not too crisp, a little watery, not filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, one glass is a little more than enough for me since the flavor doesn't really keep me coming back for more and neither does the mouthfeel. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, it was by far the best aspect of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, green onion aspect and mouthfeel, they weren't that good and they held this beer back. I would buy this beer again if I knew it was fresh, but I'm for sure not getting another bottle from this batch and as it stands now I can't say I would recommend it. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer, it seemed to be very average for a west coast style DIPA and it had too many off aspect. So far this didn't make a good first impression for this brewery, but I'm more than willing to give them another chance, I don't understand how a beer that just hit the shelfs was bottled back in June, I didn't even look at the bottling date since I assumed it was fresh since it just showed up, but it wasn't. I appreciate you guys sending your beers out here and I'll have to give this beer another chance and re review if I can find it fresh.

(Within ~1 month of bottle date) Poured into tulip glass, initially about 1/2" head that reduced to 1/4" with some soapy lacing. Color is a hazy, deep orange/red. Smells- dank hops and resin, grapefruit, pineapple. Taste- bready malts, resinous hops, some tropical fruit and alcohol warmth in the finish. Overall a decent DIPA, although it didn't bowl me over.

3.83/5  rDev -3%

Cloudy orange in color with a short head. Nice lace develops during the session. Aroma is typical citrus and hop centric. Caramel, pine, grapefruits, mango, mild alcohol, and some floral and earthy hop bitterness round out the flavor profile. Crisp throughout. Dry finish. A slower sipping beer but nicely refreshing.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

A delicious ,bitter-smooth, hit-the-spot, relaxing brew. The aroma of hops emanates from its bottle's nozzle, and its taste is inviting and pleasant. After its over, the taste lingers on the tastes buds with a good after taste. It is a beer to remember and to try again.

pours a cloudy, golden color. One finger from head that is lacking retention. Nutty citrusy floral flavor. a Bready citric aroma and A slick somewhat chewy mouthful. the bitterness in thIs beer stands out, and it is not overpowering. Overall I must say this is enjoyable brew.

3.34/5  rDev -15.4%

Starts off looking nice, with a very forward hop aroma. Then you taste it and it's a very, very one dimensional flavor. Very bitter hops and very unflattering booze. Reminds me more of an over the top triple IPA, but with very little depth in flavor.

to view more.