Hoptologist DIPA - Knee Deep Brewing Company

Hoptologist DIPAHoptologist DIPA

Knee Deep Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: kevanb on 12-03-2011)

Talk about Hops. At first sniff , smells like " weed ". Period

I went into the store to grab a couple bottles of Racer 5 IPA when I saw this beer. Admittedly captivated by the Hoppy Character on the label and tne 9% alcohol, I also purchased w bottles of this IPA. The moment I opened the bottle, I was hooked!

The aroma was instantly that of, "Christmas!" It was the perfect amt/type of hops...I'm a fan for life!

We had a bottle of the Racer 5 afterwards--which was still tasty, but, I think I've found a new love...

Cheers!!

Favorite

Let me preface this review with the disclaimer that I am becoming somewhat of a Knee Deep Brewing fanboy; I enjoy all their beers, actively seek out their special releases, and base my festival attendance on whether or not Knee Deep will be there. On to the review...

Served from a 22 ounce bomber into a tulip glass.

The best way to describe the color of this beer is to have you imagine walking down the plumbing aisle at your favorite hardware store. In that aisle you will undoubtedly notice the assortment of beautiful copper tubing. Imagine that copper tubing is completely transparent with small little bubbles running through it. That is the color of this beer.

For the aroma we have to teleport to a farmers' market on Kauai. You enter the market, some woman in a grass skirt puts a ring of flowers around your neck and you approach a booth peddling tropical fruit, picked that morning, sliced open for your visual and olfactory pleasure. We are getting close to how this beer smells!

The first thing you notice when you sip this beer is that the emphasis is on hop flavor, not bitterness. The tropical hop flavors dance merrily with a hint of malt sweetness before they rush down your throat. This is how all double IPAs should taste!

Cheers!

I simply just asked the guy at Bevmo for a good beer and he could tell I was serious and gave me something serious and this beer was it. I put this beer 2nd only to the Midnight Hoppyness which is from Knee Deep as well. The first few sips may throw you back because it is very strong but it's an incredible beer. And it gets you very pissed so be ready for that. Cheers!

An excellent IPA by Knee Deep Brewing Co. It's a smooth IPA with a beautiful tail end. I was very impressed with the Hoptologist. I personally feel that the Hoptologist is the best IPA I have ever had an opportunity to partake in. From the first taste to the end, it takes you on a wild mad hatter ride through intense hoppy flavors. It started with a strong punch in the mouth the a sweet finish. I am very glad that I found this gem in my local Nugget grocery store. Very good choice in IPA.

4.93/5  rDev +25.4%

Say hello to the new Pliny killer. If you like hops, this beer is for you! It has that wonderful aroma of citrus and hops and a kick in the pants 9.0 ABV to boot! This is most certainly a beer that will give the elusive Pliny a run for its money. I love Pliny, but Hoptologist is a whole lot easier to find on the shelves.

4.84/5  rDev +23.2%

4.8/5  rDev +22.1%

4.76/5  rDev +21.1%

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

Had this in 22's a few times. This time was some unknown amount into an unknown size tulip at Eureka! in San Diego. The color was such a lovely orangy-amber that was really playing well in the sunset. The aroma was a promise of piney with some tropical back. Flavor delivered on the promise made by the aroma. Nice sticky finish to hold the flavor. This goes into my DIPA pantheon and will be a regular purchase. Great stuff.

Admittedly, I seem to like a lot of Knee Deep's offerings.

Hoptologist DIPA from Knee Deep Brewing Company