Simtra - Knee Deep Brewing Company

SimtraSimtra

Knee Deep Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: baggio on 02-12-2012

Simtra Triple IPA delivers a punch in the face with its very danky hop aroma derived from Simcoe and Citra hops. You wanted more hops you got them.
Ratings: 1,812 | Reviews: 297

I'm used to beers this strong being very sweet. This beer is wonderfully citrusy and bitter which cuts through the alcohol. Fantastic ipa

I'm a hophead. This is a hop beer. Highest rating possible.

Hell yes! Review 666 for this one!

I've had this on night 2 of a 3 day IPA comparison, day 1 was Heady Topper, day 2 was Simtra and 3 was Pliny...

A - This thing pours a deep pale orange hazy orange, 1 finger to 2 finger head that will disappear slowly. Beautiful lacing. Just an all around beauty to watch being poured.

S - Piney, Citrus from the Simcoe hops, orange, pineapple, malty, bready, slight alcohol undertones hits the back of the noise.

T - This tasted heavenly, extremely drinkable. Looking back, I was amazed how this tasted like a Heady Topper on steroids. The best way to describe the taste was citrus and sweet bitterness in the noise. This definatley had me taking more drinks than I would like. The alcohol is not even noticeable with the Simcoe providing a very nice taste... extremely balanced.

M - Silky, bitterness provides a nice massage on the tongue, not overly dry, carbonation is fantastic and the citrus notes made me feel like I was biting into a fresh peach.

Overall - This is one solid brew, with a 131 IBUs, I was amazed how smooth and drinkable this was. Like I said earlier, it reminds me of a Heady Topper on steroids. It is very balanced given the abv and IBU rating. For as tasty as this was, I recommend sipping this one slowly; the simcoe makes the alcohol a ninja in this brew, it will catch up to you.

I am in love with this beer, and it's availability compared to other demanded IPA's is a huge plus in my book. It's not over hyped, it's just a solid beer. If you're new to the Double IPA world, I suggest putting this one off...

From the description.."Simtra Triple IPA delivers a punch in the face"

It's like being hit in the head with a sledgehammer made of hops

It's astoundingly, insanely, overwhelmingly hoppy

I am a hardcore hop-head, so this beer definitely satisfies my craving..and I LOVE it..it's definitely one of my favorites!

If I had a criticism, I would compare it to Stone Ruin Ten

Simtra is raw, extreme, outrageous and overwhelming..Ruin Ten is a bit more balanced, artistic and sophisticated

So Jeremy(the inventor), if you read this, I love Simtra, but moving a bit more toward balance and sophistication would be cool

At 11.25%, I'm reviewing this compared to other 11%+ "triple" IPA's. These beers should really not be in the same category as double IPA's as beers in the 7% range and beers in the 11-12% range are very different. That being said...

A: Hazy, orange with thick white head and excellent lacing. We're off to a very good start.

S: Mango, Papaya, Guava, Grapefruit, Meyer Lemon, Pine, even some Sage. Some toasty caremalized sugar but not too much. Some alcohol of course.

T: Again its all tropical fruits and citrus and redwood forests here....alcohol is there but nicely balanced with the hops and malt backbone. Very, very good. I could drink 2 bombers in a row, no problem. ;-)

M: Mouthfeel is full and rich but not too syrupy like some over the top triple IPAs.

Besides PTYounger, this is the best "triple" Ive had.

I was told it was just bottled like the day before.

This is so crisp, and citrusy it is a really well done Triple IPA.
The appearance is orangish and poured a little foam, almost too little, however did they really bottle it the day before?

The smell was grapefruit and quite pronounced!

Taste as smooth, for a beer at 11% very well done.

Overall this is the bomb

Bought a bomber of this from Bevmo in Mira Loma, CA. Poured into a pint glass. The main label says that this beer is "not meant for aging" and that I should enjoy it "triple fresh." It was bottled on June 4, 2014, and I consumed it on November 6 -- not exactly triple fresh. That factors into this amazing review -- I wonder what it tasted like really fresh! A serious contender for best Double IPA! 131 IBU providing a beautifully bitter punch with an 11.25% ABV that kicks as much as it delights. Of course, there are simco hops that dominate the palate in a most pleasurable way. This beer holds up and even improves as it warms. Seriously an amazing beer from a less well-known brewer than others. I'm convinced that if this brewery were bigger, this would be one of the top beers on the site. Get it and enjoy!

I've tasted heady topper and Pliney the elder and Ill say if you want a wonder full hoppy brew you got to try this and I fell it deserves a 100 score

4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

Thank you to a buddy of mine who procured this on the west coast on a business trip and brought it back to the shores of Lake Michigan for me to enjoy.

Poured into a tulip from a bomber

A: pours a burnt orange...a much deeper orange than a regular dipa. The foam settles down to a thin white lacing around the glass

S: upfront floral, piney, citrusy DIPA greatness

T: what to say but a deliciously brutal battering of my tongue weighing in at 131IBUs (according to the label). There is nothing to say but awesome, piney bitterness. The taste is just like it's delicious smell

M: surprisingly light despite the abv on the label that reads 10.1% plus the hoppiness completely masks the muscular alcohol content

O: This is an imperial IPA that I would love to get my hands on year round. I havent been "wowed" by a DIPA in a long time and this is one of those that brought a great smile to my face and made me reaffirm that DIPAs are truly my favorite type of beer

4.92/5  rDev +14.7%

Mostly clear amber color with a nice off white head that lingers a while, but not long. Thick lacing down the glass.

Fresh pine explosion with some mildly sweet malt presence coming through in an attractive way. A little grapefruit in the background. Super pleasant and inticing.

As the nose implies, super hop forward in the flavor department - totally fresh and floral. Piney hops the star here, with just a touch of the citrusy variety to back it up, then just enough mildly sweet and biscuity malt backbone to bring it together. Super well blended, very tasty.

Moderate body and moderate to light carbonation, and not much left on the tongue. Very smooth.

Wow, this is one very good DIPA, jeez. I didn't even notice the ABV until halfway through the glass and was amazed at how smooth and drinkable this was - not overly bitter, just the right amount of everything perfectly showcased. A very, very good IPA in every aspect that I love about the style - has to be one of my favorites.

4.91/5  rDev +14.5%

A- Pours a slightly hazy copper with frothy/thick bubbles and head that dissipates on the quick side but maintains a thin layer and strong lacing.

S- Sweet malt and citrus/piney hops immediately flood the nose, very powerful and wonderful.

T- Very similar to the nose, so great. A touch of sweet malty flavor hits first followed by a very powerful hop presence that balances so well. I could drink this all day if it wasn't...11.25% ABV? Holy cow. Masked very well. The large of amount of hops and bitterness combined with the great flavor masks how strong this is. Finishes dry and with more of the hop bite. While the malt/citrus taste comes first the hop/pine flavor finishes.

M- Medium to light body and carbonation. Very smooth and easy drinking. Again, 11.25%? What? Not sure how they do it.

O- A MUST find for any lover of imperial IPA's. This beer packs a big punch but you wouldn't know it from the masterful balance of flavor and light mouthfeel. Combined with some of the best aromas i've seen this is a real world class beer.

4.91/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Took this to a bottle share and I took 3 pours of it myself. Hides the booze incredibly well. I would get another bottle and make it my entire night. It's an attractive pour that jumps out of the glass and into your nose. You get all of the bright citrus and pine on the nose. The taste covers all the spectrums you'd expect from a triple IPA. Thirst quenching citrus with a bitter pine jolt. The aftertaste does not linger too long like some IPAs can. This was truly a fantastic IPA and any fan of this style should seek out a bottle.

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very floral scent, hoppy without being harsh and a delight to drink. I wish I could get it in Texas.

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

This beer is really great!

4.89/5  rDev +14%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass

A...pours a somewhat cloudy, new penny copper color with a 1" head that recedes quickly into a fine layer that has a heavy ring with big bubbles around the edge. Lacing is like a curtain around the whole glass that has some legs from the alcohol.

S...whoa!!! It smells so good at the first sniff, I had to set it back down, walk away and come back for a new whiff. A perfect smell to an ipa lover. At first a floral boquet. Second sniff brings out deep pine resin notes, really very nice. Wow, I want to breathe this beer in instead of drinking it.

T...hop bitterness right up front. Very complex in this dept. Noticeable sweetness as expected with this type of brew but fortunately, not too sweet. The malts are there and give you some caramel and even a little brown sugar but the hops are the main act for sure...well done.

M...nice, maybe a bit under carbonated but I'm not complaining. Feels slick in the mouth but not watery. Definately a mid-full body.

O...I've waited to buy this beer for a while. $11 for a 22oz ain't cheap. I thought it might not live up to my own build up but it did. This is a fantastic brew. I will absolutely buy it again when I feel like I deserve something special. Buy this when you feel like you deserve champagne but you want to drink something you like instead. Does not disappoint. I feel like thanking the brewer.

4.86/5  rDev +13.3%

Mother of hoppiville, this is the real deal! The aroma is in a word, intoxicating - as is the punch it provides to the taste buds and eventually head. A couple of 20 ouncers of this beauty and you best call Uber. How can drinking in so much flavor taste so smooth? After becoming hooked on this lil' number, drinking OTC (over-the-counter) beer has been trashed forever. I'll never go back. The tasting room/ brewery outside of Auburn, CA is Classic craft and the recently added A/C is a welcome upgrade for the summer tasting months. Plenty of games abound including my favorite cornhole. I'm a devoted fan and look forward to sampling many variations from KD. Well done!

4.85/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bomber purchased on a recent trip to San Diego, my first ever Knee Deep brew.

A: Clear golden color with a thin white head.

S: Wow! Massive nose, so much going on. Big hops straight away, lots of dank pine from the simcoe, mixed with the citrusy, tropical notes of the citra. Some sweetness too. Very impressive!

T: Does not disappoint. The two hops work in unison so well, and the flavor replicates the aroma with tons of citrus, tropical, and piney notes. Crisp, fresh, and very hoppy with a pleasant amount of bitterness, balanced by a surprisingly light, yet complimentary malt backbone.

M: I can't believe how easy drinking this is for such a high ABV beer. Remarkably light really, and avoids falling into that greasy, oily, and boozy category so many high ABV ipa's do. The malt is pleasant, giving it bittersweet qualities that help to balance out the powerful hoppiness.

O: So glad I got hold of this, incredible beer and up there with some of the best I have had. I am generally a big fan of both simcoe and citra, but how well they have brought them together in this beer into such a flavorful and balanced beer is so very impressive. In any case, this is the best triple ipa I have tried, followed closely behind by Hoparillo.

4.85/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 22oz bomber bottled on 2/25/13, into a Duvel tulip

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden orange with about a a finger and a half of dense white head that dissipates to a cap of foam that resides til the end.

Smell: Juicy, resinous hops. A little bit catty and a lot of tropical fruits, as well as a nice kiss of malt sweetness coming though.

Taste: Delicious, juicy, piney, catty, and tropical fruit hop flavors punch you in the mouth while riding on a wave of bitterness. Towards the back you get a slight alcohol warmth as well as a subtle, sweet breadiness coming from the heavy malt backbone.

Mouthfeel: Perfectly crisp and dry with a very pleasant medium bodied mouthfeel.

Overall: Simply an amazing hop assault on the tastebuds. A shining example of a DIPA/IIPA.

4.84/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite IPA's, op bomb for sure.

4.82/5  rDev +12.4%

A: Lovely looking IPA. Deep bronze with a reddish tint. Orange/copper. White head wasn't too dense but thins nicely. Good looking, fine bubble carbonation.

S: WOW. Hops field. A big hint of what is to come. Super floral aroma hops and maple syrup smelling roast on the malts.

T: Bottle says 131 IBU but I don't believe it up front. The 11.25% ABV has a little palate presence. It's got that classic resinous/pine bitterness to it but it's well balanced. Easy drinking for a beer with this much flavor. They definitely were not stingy with the hops (Simcoe?) The citrus notes are grapefruit forward. Wonderful flavor. Scant sweetness. Mine isn't even as fresh as it should be.

M: Hefty and filling. Carbonation is perfect. Great example of the style, but I feel like it's making me thirsty for water.

O: Great beer for fans of IPA, and torture for everyone else.

4.82/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Just cracked one bottled 16 DEC 14. A pure gem. The immediate fragrance that hit my nose was amazing.

I'm very familiar with this brewery and their product. They are doing some phenomenal things. I recommend tracking it down

4.81/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

pour: a nice white head with a light golden brown brew.

Smell: being a 3x ipa its all hops i shouldnt even have to say it.

Taste: Wow this is a sipper. Your going to have to take a moment with this one not just to enjoy it but the bitterness on the pallet is toughhh!!! If you like hops this is your beer. Hoppy happy over here. Then you get a little bit of malts when you keep drinking but not much.

Overall: This is a great beer to sit back and enjoy but not for the beginners. Be sure to set the pallet up for a kicking before you get into this. I love knee deep for this one good stuff.

4.81/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

What can I say other than this is just flat out excellent. It has a great, dark amber color to it with a nose that lets you know that you're in for some advanced, oral hop consumption. The foam is a bit on the light side but that's not all that surprising with such a "big" beer.

When it hits the tongue, as one would expect, you get a lot of great, hoppy bitterness with lots of citrus and very well balanced malts to go along with the incredible amount of flavor associated with each sip. This is definitely not for the uninitiated so make sure you don't share yours (if you're inclined to share) with someone just venturing out into the world of hops.

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pure and simple, if you have never tried Pliny the Younger, this is the closest you can get w/o traveling to Santa Rosa or waiting in a ridiculous line. On the Westcoast this beer was highly coveted a year ago; now you can readily find it on the shelf. It's a no-brainer.

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: This sexy brew pours a beautifully hazy, copper body with a one finger head. This degree of retention is rare

Smell: It smells like Christmas trees in a bottle. Grapefruit and pineapple can also be noticed but the pine aroma really shines through. Seriously, you can smell this baby from a few feet across the room. This is godly for a hop head and quite possibly the best smelling DIPA I’ve ever had.

Taste: Hops, hops, and more hops. Pine and fresh grapefruits are complimented by a sweet malt flavor on the back of the tongue.

Mouth feel: It is thick, oily, and sticky with a great amount of carbonation to prepare the palate for the hop explosion in the next sip.

Overall: This is one of the best double (triple?) IPAs I’ve ever had. Thanks to Knee Deep Brewing Company for this gem.

Simtra from Knee Deep Brewing Company