Simtra - Knee Deep Brewing Company

SimtraSimtra

Knee Deep Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: baggio on 02-12-2012

Simtra Triple IPA delivers a punch in the face with its very danky hop aroma derived from Simcoe and Citra hops. You wanted more hops you got them.
Ratings: 1,815 | Reviews: 298
1.46/5  rDev -66%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

The beer has a light orange hue to it. It pours with a decent enough head to it which quickly dissipates. The smell is of sweet, sweet tropical fruit with a little bit of orange. I get the fruit smells of the hops but the smell is so sweet that this smells like a can of fruit cocktail. The sweetness is overwhelming on the palate with some bitterness on the back end. I get a lot of tropical fruit flavors but the beer is so sweet it overwhelms the hops. The mouthfeel is alright, if anything it is slightly undercarbonated which I think adds to the sweetness perception.

I did not like this beer. The closest similarity I can think of is Alpine's Exponential Hoppiness which I didn't like either. I found Exponential to be more interesting with a more pleasant tropical fruit taste to it. Simtra to me tastes pretty one dimensional. I went in with high expectations but struggled to get through this beer. This is not one I will drink again.

2.1/5  rDev -51%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Bottled 4-23-13

What in the sweet hell is going on with this thang? This is the worst smelling thing that I have smelt since my ex ate curried goat and then tried to slip me some frenchie frenchie. What in the...? Raul heard many great things about this guy, but the taste lies a bit thin like Jarred after a 5 dollar foot long - and quite frankly, it is a bit rancid.

Not into it. Not into it at all.

*Something wrong had to have happened to this thing

*Nope, tried it again and it was just as rank

3.03/5  rDev -29.4%

Aroma (face kick) - pine, apples, grapfruit, and citrus.

Mouthfeel - excellent, with perfect carbonation for the style. Sweet on the lips, but finishes bitter.

Overall, I feel this beer lacks balance, but it also says Triple IPA on the label, so I was expecting to not taste malts here. All in all, I feel I've had other big beers that have maintained that balance of my personal tastes. Hop heavy beer like this can tend to be astringent reminding me of cleaning supplies. This may attribute to my personal lack of love for Simcoe hops.

3.15/5  rDev -26.6%

Triple IPA. Yeah, there is no style for this.

Massive alcohol (and hop) presence just put this way out of balance and hurts taste and drinkability. Sharp on the nose and palate and makes it a sipper, but as it warms it accentuates the negatives.

Not a fan (obviously) especially after drinking the wonderful citra extra pale.

3.2/5  rDev -25.4%

The usual orangey amber color with a pleasant foamy cap. On the titanic side. I don't think I've smelled the "cat pee" odor quite so strongly in a beer before. Thin in body, but the same way vodka is "thin."

I suppose being so overly alcoholic is a good thing. It drinks more like a liqueur, where you just take tiny sips and wait until the feeling returns to your tongue. Oh, the hops. Total hop teardown. Not ridiculously bitter, just liquid hops. Not such a bad flavor, either. It's quite spicy and aromatic. A bright tone. Take it one sip at a time.

Time for a Simple Times Lager to add this hop flavoring to. From the 22 oz bottle

3.26/5  rDev -24%

Light copper color. Nose has some tropical fruit and citrus. Heavy hops. Some heat. Quite hot. Heavy bitterness.

3.32/5  rDev -22.6%

Full slight malt up front. Dry hop finish. Earthy aroma I associate with good ipa

3.34/5  rDev -22.1%

Amber colored with decent head retention and lacing for its strength. Dank, pungent aroma thick with green, spicy hops, herbs, scallions, butterscotch, mango, passion fruit, and toffee. A big hoppy burst greets the senses right away, followed by a substantial toasted malt backing. Honey, grapefruit, mango, resin, and caramel. Boozy alcohol smothered by bitterness, malty sweet under the hops, and warming…American Barleywine territory. Not a great finish – a little too hot and sticky. Rather heavy, textured, and bitter. That, in addition to being somewhat under-carbonated hurts the drinkability. Oh boy…I really wanted to like this one, but it’s just too sticky and brash to be all that enjoyable. Not bad, just disappointing and overrated.

3.4/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Imbibed on tap at Good Karma on 8/1/12. Reviewed from notes.

Piney and aggressive hops. Grapefruit is prominent along with other generic citrus. Malt is present, but just a stage for the hops, a little biscuit. Taste starts mild and easy, quickly develops to acidic and bitter. Acid reminds me of lemon juice, and pine is noticeably thick in your mouth. A little abrasive on the tongue. Bitterness is aggressive and lasts a long time. Lots of sixty minute additions to this! MF tends towards dry, and I think all the alpha acids are skewing the pH scale.

Great DIPA, but there are others that are a little more balanced that give you some malt as well. Nice try, but I'd rather have a Doible Jack or Pliny.

3.41/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

light orange/golden color poured into an American pint glass. pours a nice head two fingers thick with good retention. smells of pine and weed; takes a concerted effort to pick out notes of citrus. taste is a hop massacre destroying any semblance of malt. hop profile not too bitter considering the style but the singular note begs for complexity. lingering spicy finish more annoying than desirable.

3.41/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

The brew is good but it's really not my style. A little thick, this brew is kinda a modified sipper in a sense. ABV is detectable if it warms.

Bottom Line: Good offering.

3.43/5  rDev -20%

Served in a Three Floyds Teku.

APPEARANCE

Classic IPA. Orange-yellow color, slightly hazy, sits under a nice head that is almost pure white, good lacing throughout, and just enough bubbliness to make me salivate. A beer that looks like this is not looking to go home alone if you know what I mean.

SMELL

The beer is a pretty harmonious mix between Simcoe and Citra (go figure), though I think the Simcoe is a bit more pronounced. It brings the usual dank basement, and the Citra provides the tropical fruity goodness that we all know and love. Pineapple, mango, tangerine, etc. There is a slight grain note and almost no alcohol. Sumthin' tells me that this beer's gonna be hoppy on the tongue...

TASTE

...And it is! Simcoe is once again the dominant hop character, bringing that deep dank flavor that I can only describe as a humid sweaty basement, but not in a bad way. The Citra character is less pronounced and very missed. The wonderful tropical fruit flavors are not as present as I was hoping. Right after the swallow, there's an astringent "cat piss" flavor that a lot of people go nuts over. I used to dig it, but not so much in this beer. It also kind of has a garlic tinge right at the end, but I seem to be ultra sensitive to that flavor so it's quite possible that other people won't get it. It sort of lingers on the tongue as a grassy bitterness, which is really neither good nor bad. Overall this beer is mostly pleasant other than that cat piss, and I would have loved to get more Citra character.

MOUTHFEL

I always get worried about huge IPAs like this. "Why not just call them an American barley wine?", I shout to the heavens. The response is generally crickets, or in some cases the bartender giving me the boot. That being said, this beer is definitely NOT a barley wine. There's no struggle to drink this (save the cat piss flavor). I would peg this beer closer to the 8-9% range & certainly not 11.25%. In other words, this beer is slightly dangerous. There is a nice amount of lingering bitterness leftover, which coats the mouth in pleasant hop resin. There is a decent amount of malt to back it up, but it's nowhere near anything that could be considered "malty" - which is a good thing if you ask me! IPAs oughtta be crisp and bitter, and a lotta these breweries try to delve into the "triple IPA" style and end up with a damn barley wine. This beer ain't no damn barley wine.

OVERALL

A good beer, but slightly disappointing. Simcoe and Citra are hops that people go Lady Gaga over, and while they play nicely together the Simcoe ultimately takes over. And, let's face it, Citra is where my heart truly lies. This is a tease of a beer that ends with "-tra". They should change the name to "SIMtra", y'know, so people know what to expect. All that crap being said - is it worth drinking? Absolutely! I would definitely drink this beer again. But I would also hope the next time round they make this beer into a "simTRA", if you know what I mean.

3.45/5  rDev -19.6%

On tap 16oz at an ocean beach bbq restaurant with ribs. So hoppy the skunk fades. Great mouth feel and carbonation.

3.46/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

22 oz. bottle served in a . Bottled 7/22/13. Picked up on my recent trip to Lake Tahoe at a local bottle shop.

A: Pours a solid amber color with a white head forming on the pour. It recedes to a thin, bubbly wring. Mild soapy lace.

S: Candied grapefruit and honey dew melon up front with a touch of mango. Light boozy notes with a touch of sweet, crystallized sugar. Light scallion notes bounce in the periphery around the sweetness.

T: Only mild booze up front. Very fruity and citrusy. Nice and strong malt backbone provides a little sweetness and breadines. The booze then kicks then back in on the finish. Definitely drinks like it's 11%. As it warms some light grassy notes with a touch of residual bitterness lingers on the finish.

M: Light to medium bodied with medium carbonation level. Slightly sticky.

O: Far too boozy for my liking. I usually top out around 9.5% or 10% when it comes to my enjoyment of double (or in this case triple) IPA's. The alcohol notes become to to sharp and boozy instead of nice and fruity. Not bad, but definitely wouldn't pick this up again.

3.46/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bottle, poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. No date on bottle? Seems like in the past I have seen a bottled on date on all Knee Deep beers.

A- Golden orange. A not quite crystal clear brew, perhaps the hop oils cloud it up a bit. Just a few small streams of carbonation emanate from the bottom of the glass.

S- Something a bit off here. As a homebrewer, I have had my share of oxidized, skunked-up
hops, especially Citra, Simcoe and Amarillo. Perhaps this one has sat on the shelf under the light too long. Besides that, a malty, boozy smell.

T- Heavy bitterness up front, followed by the citrus, tropical, and unfortunately too heavy cat-pee notes. Sweet malt undertones, and a full on alcohol presence. A bit of old butter taste also. Can't get around the off-flavor to thoroughly enjoy the positives in this one.

M- Good job here, not too heavy, oily or syrupy for a 3X IPA.

O- I believe there is a great hop profile here, along with a balancing malt backbone, and nice
texture/body to work it all together, but the oxidized, catty hop facet took away from the
experience. I have had this beer before, and remember none of these negatives, so I must get
another bottle to re-review soon.

3.48/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Tasty but way too hoppy.

3.48/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dirty orange-brown, cloudy to opaque. Head is yellow-tinged white, large bubbles, bit thin. Looks alright.

Smells very fruity-hoppy. New worldly, with passionfruit and a touch of mango. Citric edge as well though and getting more acidic as it warms up. Not much else to it besides hops.

Taste is also all hops, all over that. Citric, piney with resinous hop oils coming through on the back of that. Bit of cake better malt, but it's just one-note American citric & piney hop, really. I like, but it needs to show me more.

Feels a little hot at the back. Otherwise fluid but yeah, boozey.

Ticks all the right boxes for the style but it doesn't take it anywhere beyond the "Fuck yeah 'Murica IPA' zone.

3.53/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

650ml bottle, poured into a stemless wine glass.

The beer pours a deep copper color, slight chill haze, a few bubbles rising to the top of the glass with a frothy white head, that has good retention and leaves a nice bit of lace behind. The aroma is powerfully booze forward, sticky malt, resinous pine, spicy hop, light citrus and tropical fruit. The nose is harsh, and while it showcases what one would expect from a Triple IPA at 11.25%, it's still not that appealing. The flavors are a bit easier to handle, very bitter, very pine forward, just a bit of tangy grapefruit, tropical fruits are definitely present before a crushing amount of alcohol presence takes over and quashes the beer. The body is rich and juicy, coats the mouth very well, the carbonation is on the lower end, and the finish is abrasive and a touch dry.

Verdict: An abusive beer to say the least. It's massively bitter, incredibly boozy and a task to drink. It lacks everything that makes Younger a great Triple IPA, and would even be a chore to drink if called an American Barleywine.

3.55/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to kyle2k10 for...what's that you say? Yes, this is the 36th beer from that 'box' he sent me, which more resembled a container car. Finally getting to the bottom. FreightWay is coming to get the near-empty out of the driveway tomorrow. 22 oz. bottle split with my wife.

Pop & pour is a fuddled orange that's not see-through, but I can see the shadow-puppets of my fingers through it. Nose isn't quite the roll I expected from a 'triple' IPA, some citrus, pine, & plenty of sweetness.

Simtra is slick wrapped in oil. The first impression isn't even taste, but the slipperiness of the mouthfeel; might make good gear oil for my boat's little Mercury. Pine flowers littered with bitterness back the slider, along with an earthy dankness...dank. I know people love it, but I've never been a fan, & it detracts from the experience. Malts come on like half-baked sweetbread. Endgame is a long, lingering french-kiss of bitterness. Twenty-two ounces of this would be a chore; eleven is about right.

The earth-n-mud character really dampened my enjoyment of this beer, & the trait grew stronger as it warmed. Good, solid IIPA that doesn't really rise above a ton of other good, solid IIPAs.

3.59/5  rDev -16.3%

Chill hazed amber with very spotty head formation.

Smells earthy and spicy with orange and woody scents. Caramel and toffee in the malt portion of the beer. The hop isn't super strong and does not conceal the malt portion.

Starts out sweet and a little savory with a caramel and sandalwood after taste. Spicy and a bit bitter. It is OK but the hops are a bit too earthy for me.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall, OK I really like Ruination better. I noticed all the great reviews this beer gets. Maybe I got a old bottle will try again sometime.

3.59/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 5/23/14 and pulled off a room temp shelf at bevmo in N California on a road trip. A - deep amber much darker than the only other TIPA I've tasted Boneyard Notorious. 1 finger off white head with good retention and lacing through the entire glass. N - little grassy but mostly toffee, caramel. T - caramel, toffee, orange, an odd peppery taste with a lot of alcohol heat on the finish. M - nice sparkling light oily mouthfeel. Full body. O - not at all what was expected. No dank citrus. Slight grassiness and some orange zest were the only hop characteristics detected. A good barley wine reminiscent of stone 2013 old guardian is the only thing I can compare it too. My first lesson in big box beer outlet buying. Don't buy TIPAs off the room temp racks but I just had to try it. Would love a properly stored bottle to compare this to.

3.63/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

22 picked up at the Boise COOP for about $9ish.. a little pricey given the other DIPA's available locally. Clear golden.. perfectly golden with a nice foamy white head... looks amazing.

Fruity citrus is huge and unapologetic.. light herbaceous elements with warmth..

Bitter up front.. pithy citrus and lesser fruity floral notes as it warms up..

Knee Deep is a very welcome in Boise.. The bottles are pretty representative of West Coast IPA's.

3.75/3.75/3.75/3.5/3.25

3.63/5  rDev -15.4%

Bottled on 1/16/14. Consumed on 3/2/14. I guess it's not as fresh as the brewer hopes I could drink this, so I'll keep that in mind with this one.

A - Pours a fairly dark yet clear amber, one finger of slightly off-white head and little sticky patches of lacing.

S - Woodsy, resiny, raisiny, and boozy, backed up by some bright floral notes.

T - Phew...this one's a toughie. It's very VERY resiny and almost whiskey-like on the taste, with only a bit of citrus. I probably should have popped this one the moment I got it. It's pretty boozy and bracing at this point. If that's your jam, then cool. But it looks like this DIPA's quality goes downhill fast.

M - Light on the mouthfeel and good carbonation make it feel almost floaty on the tongue.

overall - I hate to dock points reviewing a beer that's likely past its prime, but its prime is a dangerously tiny window that seems to highlight the risks of making big, bold DIPA's. Will have to try and get an even fresher bottle and drink it right away for comparison, but as it stands, this one is way too harsh to go toe-to-toe with the current DIPA heavyweights.

3.65/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured into a tulip glass. Thanks Warnerry for sharing!

A: 1/2 finger or white head with fair retention that fades to nearly nothing. More head with better retention please, especially for such a hoppy beer. Crystal clear brassy color is perfect.
S: Apple-y ester base with very citrusy hop overlay. Pineapple, mango, lime. Only a slight bit too much ester for my liking. Love the combo of Simcoe and Citra aroma.
T: Lots of pine, some soapiness. Sweet hard candy comes in later on and is a bit too close to cloying. Lots of hops in this one! Malt and hops are a bit too polar for me in this one, and I'd like to see some middle ground reached.
M: VERY bitter and dry. Bone dry. Hops are a bit astringent in the beginning of the glass. Later on this backs off and warmth from alcohol counters this.
O: A bit imbalanced. I wouldn't order a second. Wouldn't buy a bottle again.

3.66/5  rDev -14.7%

From bottle 1 1/2 months old. 11.25 ABV
Look: Golden, a little cloudy
Smell: Spicy, boozy
Taste: Strong, fairly smooth for the style, with lasting aftertaste
Feel: Heavy and raw feel

A basic triple, smoother than some. As with Younger, it gets better as it warms.

Simtra from Knee Deep Brewing Company