Batch No.: 138 - Knee Deep Brewing Company

Batch No.:  138Batch No.:  138

Knee Deep Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: SHODriver on 03-27-2013)
4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

The first time I had this (4/2013) I thought it was OK, nothing to write home about. The finish was a bit long for me-- I like short and clean, with no lingering bitterness on my tongue-- but otherwise I could live with it. Maybe an easier-to-get alternative to my favorites which are all rationed and marked up by local vendors.

I have half a case in my refrigerator right now, and I'm liking it a lot better right now (10/2013). Perhaps they have tweaked the recipe?

I'm noticing the finish is a lot cleaner and quicker, just like my favorites (Pliny and Just Outstanding). It's nice and dry. The hop flavor is really nice, all piney and citrusy. I like everything about it, except for the price (nearly $9/bomber with tax and CRV).

I have to admit, reading some of the reviews here, I'm wondering if this is some reverse psychology. Trash this beer so folks won't buy it, leaving more for the reviewers who claim it is borderline swill? Are these negative reviews honest? If so, what better IPAs are these reviewers drinking on a regular basis? I gots to know.

I'm not saying I'd choose this over a Pliny or a Just Outstanding. The price is a factor, of course. But it's a lot better than some of the mainstream IPAs which I'd rate 3.0-3.5 all year long.

3.25/5  rDev -16%

3.25/5  rDev -16%

3.44/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Attractive bright amber color with a thin mustache of white foam in the New Belgium snifter. Pleasantly light on the tongue with just a prickle of carbonation.

Interesting how thin and bitter this is. The alcohol is pushed up a little and the malt is subdued. This is one of the driest IPAs I can remember. The malt is just dry bones. Endless bitter aftertaste, though at least it's a hoppy flavor. Resiny without much in the way of aromatics. Three Cs and Simcoe is what the brewer says. From the 22 oz bottle bought at Barons Marketplace on Point Loma Blvd.

Batch No.: 138 from Knee Deep Brewing Company