Batch No.: 138 - Knee Deep Brewing Company

Batch No.:  138Batch No.:  138

Knee Deep Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: SHODriver on 03-27-2013

Knee Deep’s Batch 138 India Pale Ale is brewed with three types of C hops and Simcoe, which gives this West Coast IPA an aroma that resembles a cat that has peed in a pine tree. Batch 138 finishes dry and crisp and is sure to leave you in hop euphoria.

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

22oz bottle dated 10/19/13 poured into my FW snifter glass
Notes taken on 11/03/13

A: Dark caramel amber color with really nice clarity and a thick helping of stubborn khaki foam head. Decent cling from the lace leaving some intermittent tracks and dots of stick behind.

S: Smells of uber fresh hop pellets. Pine, grapefruit, dank weed, tangerine, and melon with a light topical flora mixed in. Impressively hoppy and fresh nose on this one. Has my hop tart tingling.

T: Super dank grass weed flav. Very herbal indeed with a firm malt backbone of toasted bread. Light citrus fruits and evergreens in the background. High perceived bitterness across the palate with no alcohol coming through. Light toffee like sweetness but otherwise very near bone dry and nicely balanced in that matter. Pretty tasty shit.

M: Moderately full mouth feel with nice even carb and a creamy texture. Vast drying efforts in the finish coupled with a high level of hoppy bitters. Resinous and lingering long after the drink.

D: This is pretty much dank sauce. Very herbal and weedy which I am on board with. If that is your thing seek this one out. Keeps a firm maltiness with dem hops and has a very dry finish. If it took 138 batches to arrive here then I might be a little concerned. Otherwise worth revisiting for me.

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

4.18/5  rDev +8%

The first time I had this (4/2013) I thought it was OK, nothing to write home about. The finish was a bit long for me-- I like short and clean, with no lingering bitterness on my tongue-- but otherwise I could live with it. Maybe an easier-to-get alternative to my favorites which are all rationed and marked up by local vendors.

I have half a case in my refrigerator right now, and I'm liking it a lot better right now (10/2013). Perhaps they have tweaked the recipe?

I'm noticing the finish is a lot cleaner and quicker, just like my favorites (Pliny and Just Outstanding). It's nice and dry. The hop flavor is really nice, all piney and citrusy. I like everything about it, except for the price (nearly $9/bomber with tax and CRV).

I have to admit, reading some of the reviews here, I'm wondering if this is some reverse psychology. Trash this beer so folks won't buy it, leaving more for the reviewers who claim it is borderline swill? Are these negative reviews honest? If so, what better IPAs are these reviewers drinking on a regular basis? I gots to know.

I'm not saying I'd choose this over a Pliny or a Just Outstanding. The price is a factor, of course. But it's a lot better than some of the mainstream IPAs which I'd rate 3.0-3.5 all year long.

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%