Hoparillo - Knee Deep Brewing Company

HoparilloHoparillo

Knee Deep Brewing Company visit their website

Triple IPA brewed and dry hopped with large amounts of Citra, Mosaic and Amarillo hops that delivers exploding tropical fruit and citrus aromas and flavor. Intense hop aromas that are sure to stimulate your olfactory receptors.

(Beer added by: KevT on 07-02-2013)

Pours a hazy orange with a medium head,

The smell of pine, citrus and mango smacks you in the face.

Tastes nearly like the aroma, mouth is fairly thick and but works well for this brew.

Finish is bitter with some of the tropical hints, and booze.

This beer is awesome. Very bitter but the tropical flavors balance very well with it. One of the best IPAs I've ever had! It is a must try, but not for the faint of heart or people skeptical about hoppy beers. This is the king of TIPAs!

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Nose citrus, tropical fruit, herbal, pine, fresh baked bread. Pours brilliant amber under a 2” white foam cap that produces thick, clingy lace. It has a big bourbon palate with a dash of Regan’s Orange Bitter Number 6 and finishes with a slight alcohol burn. Hints of vanilla and butterscotch in the background. Chewy, creamy and delicious.

Great beer specially on Draft

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

The mix of the three hop brew killer. Wow.. love the extensive bitterness of this beer. This is the style of beer that should ONLY be allowed to be called an IPA. Malt backbone - ha- NONE

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

The hops used in this triple IPA play key roles. The Mosaic hops used actually provide a slight blueberry taste. This is a nice play on fruits,and the malt sweetness doesn't mess with the hops. Just another great big IPA from Knee Deep.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

APPEARANCE - Clear yello with no head.

AROMA/SCENT - Hoppy, piney.

TASTE - Hoppy, ABV well-hidden.

MOUTHFEEL/PALATE/TEXTURE - Soft. Little carbonation.

VALUE - Reasonable.

OVERALL/DRINKABILITY - Great beer, almost chuggable.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Knee Deep in Hops is my first reaction!

Instantly enthralled with strong whiffs of fresh cut weeds and sawed open conifers, and so strong, and hate to say it, but it's as strong as Tom-Cat piss. Telegraphs strength.

Poured from the bottle, dated 07/15/14, into a large brandy snifter, a clear golden cheddar orange. I don't know what birch syrup looks like, but maybe like this. Or perhaps some rare fresh pine amber sap bleeding from a saw cut. Practically no foam or lacing.

Hop strength flavours intensely and covers up the booze with a thick coat of shellac, which stretched thin with a bigger gulp, bursts, and the alcohol breathes forth like a drying nail polish or spray paint. No matter, of course the booze is integral, and together these two titans of IPA, hops and alcohol, combine to overpower any maltiness. Malt buddy, somewhere in there, has taken a powder, or has chameleon-like, converted into a new compound, hardened into a figurative unseen steel network of rebar inside this pavement of unformly smooth yet bittersweet triple IPA. Yes it is large, and warms the belly, cleans the lips, and pulls anything hanging on my tonsils off, as it goes down.

It tastes so damn good I want it to last forever. I take my time. It would be wrong to waste this on an urgent hot afternoon thirst. Dominates even the habanero and ghost peppers nipping at my gullet from the casserole I am dining on. This is sunshine in a bottle. Rays of beautiful light twinkle as this cool yellow lava pours into my body like sunshine over the stoic mountains of the planet. The effect is most salutory.

This beer is pure hyperbole. A bombastic, loud, ostinato riff, ripples back and forth across my palette, like a sparkling long wet reverberation, of life, of living vines, of summer showers, hard work. It's an offense, and the launch hit the target, and explodes, and leaves a bomb crater on my tongue, on my tummy, and in my mind. A deep impression is made.

Bitter? Maybe, like a liberal hippie. Interesting conversation. The carbonation is right where I like it for this slow drinker. Yes, I can understand it could be foamier, but then, the mouthfeel would be otherwise. My experience right here is beyond outstanding. Syrupy, yes, and reeks through the nose. If I had my beard, I would imagine it would smell like great beer for a while after I drank this.

Well, thank you my friends for the gift of this fine libation. It's north of my price point! Yes it is worth the price. A glimpse of heaven for sure.

I'd say this isn't too far from a Simtra. I like this Triple IPA

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bomber purchased on a recent trip to San Diego.

A: Clear dark amber color, nice amount of lacing and head retention.

S: Amazing smell. Lots tropical, piney, and floral notes. Very fresh and hoppy, some hint of the alcohol and caramel malt. Quite similar to Simtra in some respects

T: Big hops and so much flavor. The amarillo is showcased so nicely with lots of orangey and citrusy notes, accompanied by some tropical (peach, mango) and pine resin. The malt is present, but so well balanced allowing the hops to shine through to be the focal point.

M: Medium bodied, a little sticky, but the alcohol is expertly masked. Unapologetically hoppy in a good way in terms of the bitterness it brings, but so smooth and drinkable.

O: Excellent beer. I think Simtra just about wins out, but this is up there with some of the best I have tried. I can't get over how for a triple ipa this is so easy to drink and smooth, yet packed with tons of amarillo hop goodness, complexity, and such balance. I would wholeheartedly recommend picking up this release, I just wish I had access to Knee Deep more regularly and the fine triple ipa's they bring out!

Hoparillo from Knee Deep Brewing Company