Midnight Hoppyness - Knee Deep Brewing Company

Midnight HoppynessMidnight Hoppyness

Knee Deep Brewing Company visit their website

American Black Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: KevT on 09-13-2013)
Reviews by Schnauzerlord:
4.29/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Let me preface this by stating that I'm a big fan of the style. Whether 'Cascadian Dark Ale' or 'American Black IPA', there's not many that I don't like. This one is a real winner, up there with Wookie Jack by Firestone Walker and DeSchutte's Hop in the Dark.

I am currently enjoying a pint glass of this delicious brew from a 22oz bottle, and right around $9 seems to be the average price when I've seen this in stores.

A: Pours as dark as it's name, with a thick, full head that's a creamy toasted brown color and lasts nicely

S: While the aroma is big, it's hard to distinguish any one aspect. There's a hoppy bitterness, but I can't pick up specific hop characteristics as I usually do, as the roasted malt smell is almost 'burnt' (in a good way) and kind of bullies all the other smells. It's far from bad, but I DO prefer a more distinctive hoppy nose.

T: excellent combination of coffee and that distinctive rye flavor mix it up well with 100 IBU worth of hops. Again, it's more difficult than normal to pick out specific elements, but the 9.5% ABV is definitely there, without being obnoxious. I really enjoy the roasted malt flavor and that rye dryness.

F: Not as thick or rich as many of the more common darker beers, but that fits well with the big hoppy flavor. Kind of dry for the high ABV, but again, that's not a complaint, just an observation.

Overall: Great beer for our SoCal 'winter'. Heavier than other similarly hopped offerings, but a big step below the standard porters and stouts we see as winter offerings when it comes to being filling. This one will be a regular in the fridge for as long as it's available.

4.1/5  rDev 0%

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

4.83/5  rDev +17.8%

had at the Parson's Pub in Murphy, NC.

What a beer!

A: pours a dark coffee color with a thick caramel colored head.

S: smells of hops

T: SO EFFIN GOOD!! starts mellow and then finishes with a hoppy goodness.

O: it is a beer i could definitely have more than one of. great job knee deep!!

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

3.65/5  rDev -11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Midnight Hoppyness....I was surprised when I poured this from a bomber into a pint glass, and it came out black....hence the name. Duh.

Good looking beer. Dark black with a large muddy head.

Smells of sweet chocolate, with a crispness that hints of hops. That would be the only clue so far that this isn't a stout.

Tastes pretty strongly of alcohol, starts somewhat sweet, and finishes bitter. Kind of rough.

Pretty strongly carbonated..

Overall, this tastes a little unfinished. Like it should be aged, or tweaked a bit in the brewing process. A bit rough for me.

4.48/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Walked into a local liquor store and randomly found a bottle of this stuff! Had never seen/heard of this specific beer but I had recently enjoyed Knee Deeps Belgo, Simtra, and Hoptologist. I am new to Black IPA's but I did enjoy this beer. Like the beers name, the beer poured a black "midnight" color and had a very distinctive IPA taste. I reside in California and I am currently experincing an "Indian Summer". This beer fit perfectly with the in between summer/fall weather. Not to heavy and not to crisp. Not going to lie, I am excited to switch over to porters and stouts. The only other Black IPA I have tried was Bear Republic's Racer X. Out of those two options, I would choose Knee Deeps over Bear Republic's. This was a great tasting beer with a cool name and label!

22 purchased at Brewer's Haven Boise yesterday afternoon (but most of the bottleshops will have it too)... Enjoyed tonight from my Funk Fest tulip... Pours the expected black with a pillowy dark tan head... good lacing.

Nose is big pithy citrus hops with some lesser tropical fruity hops.. surprisingly there isn't a strong piney element.. roast malt element is present but only as a mild backdrop and allows the hops to play.

Flavor mirrors the aroma.. traditional Cali IPA bitterness is tempered by the roast malt and residual sugars... hop flavors are again bigger citrus and hints of tropical fruit.. burnt malt comes in on the finish and lingers pleasantly with the hops.

Big body ... No EtOH burn at all, surprisingly... pretty well done, that said I doubt I will buy again because there are too many other fantastic brews out there and I don't really appreciate this style too much.

4.25/4/4/4/4