Saison-Brandy Barrel Aged - Mad Fox Brewing Company

pDev: n/a
Mad Fox Brewing Company visit their website
Virginia, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: cjgiant on 07-11-2014)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3/5  rDev n/a

1.5/5  rDev n/a

3.5/5  rDev n/a

2.75/5  rDev n/a

3.69/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is a brandy barrel aged version of their Saison, which I know I've had but have not reviewed.

A: this beer pours a hazy golden-yellow color, translucent to hazy, with only a light but replenishing head

S: strong brandy and date/raisin scents, almost more like a brandy wine (but not as much depth of nose as a barleywine)

T: starts with a subdued brandy taste, to compare against a brandy-tinged beer taste. The combination does yield to a overall tart apple taste. The tartness turns any dark fruit into a more tart version I think most of the saison flavors are overpowered but the brandy, which I think is not a good thing. The beer does taste pretty good, but I'm not sure the beer itself is producing the taste, any more.

M: a decent carbonation, but a little on the light side, with a definite alcohol burn

O: maybe we got a strong pull, as if that makes any sense, but if you like a stronger alcohol flavor to your beer, this might work for you. It was a little too over the top for me.

Note: there was some confusion as to what beer I was tasting when I initially did this review. I am certain I got it right at this point.

Saison-Brandy Barrel Aged from Mad Fox Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.