Orange Whip IPA - Mad Fox Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 135 | Reviews: 44
Reviews by ShogoKawada:
4.69/5  rDev +9.8%

64oz birthday growler from mr. Desaparecido! Thanks! Poured into chouffe tulip.

A- VERY dark for an IPA- dark amber- almost brown. Caramel head, 1cm settles quickly with some nice (if thin) lacing.

S- OK- I smelled this as I pulled it out of the box. A bit was on the growler from the fill- it smells like orange creamsicles. Hardcore, full-out orange creamsicles. It's awesome. As it sits in the glass some tart and tangy grapefruit aroma marries with the oranges. Very hoppy.

T- Very strong malt base plays off the intense fruitiness of the hops. Tangerine and mango. Concentrated orange goodness. Very tropical. Sweet, sugary malt really adds an 'oomph' to the hop profile- And the sweetness fades with the sip. Hoppy as all hell- I'm loving it.

M- Well-balanced and constructed, stellar mouthfeel, finish, the whole package. Sweet (and intensely sweet at that) but it is fleeting, the finish is nice and dry.

O- Never heard of this beer, but I fell in love at first sip. I'd pass up damn near any beer for a chance to score some more of this. Everything about this screams 'orange', and it nails it.

___

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

big thanks to Rhettroactive

pours a deep ruby brown with a hint of copper. not much head on this but a decent bit of retention.

bits of orange and citrus with a sweet malty base. light scents of booze.

very citrus based with a dominating orange, tangerine, clementine. light bitterness towards the end. quite sweet with a candied malt. orange aftertaste with a hint of grapefruit. i even picked up a bit of orange peel.

very full bodied with a moderate carbonation. very slick and oily.

very good IPA! solid flavor through out. easy to drink and never tiring. glad i could try this. wish it had a bit more on the nose, thats my only complaint.

4.04/5  rDev -5.4%

Massive thanks goes out to drabmuh for sending me this one in a past trade! Shared this one with my doppelganger while sitting by the pool on my birthday weekend! Served from growler into a Stone nonic multiple times. Poured a deep red-orange with a minimal cream colored head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, orange, orange peel, citrus, and citrus hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, orange, citrus, and citrus hop. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. The aroma on this one was what made it for me. I could see how people would think this smells like an orange creamsicle as all of the components to make that smell possible are here. The flavor however is more citrusy IPA in nature and quite easy to drink. The hop profile on this one wasn't overly bitter, making it quite enjoyable. A definite must try if given the opportunity!

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

This is the best Mad Fox beer I've had so far and I would highly recommend it to any IPA or pale ale fan.

A- Orange Whip pours from the draft a mahogany/amber color with reddish highlights and a wispy head.

S- The beer pops with a strong hit of pineapple accented with notes of citrus, fruit cocktail and other hop aromas.

M- This medium-bodied beer is smooth through the middle and ends with a refreshing dry note.

T- The beer--with its expert balance of bitter hops and sweet malts--tastes like vacation in a glass with notes of pineapple, citrus, fruit cocktail, peaches caramelized in brown-sugar, and pineapple upside down cake.

4.39/5  rDev +2.8%

Damn fine beer. Pours a deep amber with a two finger off white head that dissipates to a ring relatively quickly, but maintains a bit of form until the beer is finished. Decent lacing. Pours a bit darker than a typical ipa. Interesting appearance. The smell is pretty unreal. Huge orange notes, complemented by some lemon, some pine, and some tropicals. The other notes give it some more complexity, but the orange is huge here, and it is fantastic. The orange is downed a notch in the flavor, and the biscuit and caramel malt is a bit more noticeable, but the flavor is still quite good. Orange is still the biggest player here, but the pine is certainly upped a notch, as is the bitterness. Sticky, resinous mouthfeel. Very good ipa. I'm very happy I found this, as the brewery is 5 minutes from my house. I see a lot of growlers of this in the future.

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

Tried on tap at the brew pub. Nice burnt orange color, aromas of oranges, oranges, and more oranges. Tastes like dry hopped orange juice, but its awesome. Rich fruit forward front with a nice clean, dry, hoppy finish. Apparently uses a new hybrid hop, taste is quite unique and worth checking out.

3.86/5  rDev -9.6%

On tap at the Brewpub in Falls Church.

Nice clear dark orange amber color with little head, average nose which is light citrus.

Taste is very good, clean with mainly citrus hops and good malt balance.

Mouthfeel is a bit too light for me.

Overall a very good beer that falls a bit short of my expectation for an IPA.

After the review I spoke to the bartender, found that this usually unfiltered beer was filtered for a competition, which may explain the difference between my experience and the prior consencious.

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured on tap into a half sized shaker pint style glass at Meridian Pint. From notes.

A dark copper body, orange hues along the edges with a dark amber appearance. Kind of hard body color to describe almost a blur between brown and amber. The puck settles with a nice tan cap and laces nicely. The head is particularly uniform and real nice.

There's a light sense of hop like grapefruit and toasty spice. Light brown sugar whaffs up a bit. More citrus orange and very clean. Very simple. Nice and not overbearing either. Solid.

On first sip the palate fills with a good brown sugar that's tolerable. Piney wood like hops finish with a great breath mellow orange and citrus qualities. Prickly carbonation at first but nothing detracting. Warmth really brings out more of a creamy character and hop tangerine like citrus to the beer also, but it's subtle.

Overall a solid IPA to be having in the area. I personally love 2 hemispheres considerably more and wasn't crazy about this, but it's a solid decent brew worth having again.

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to TrippHop for the growler!

Pours a clear moderately deep amber with a 2 finger head dissipating into good sticky lacing.

The aroma is a citrus onslaught mostly orange, but some grapefruit as well. Also get a little pine and despite the color, not a lot of maltiness in the aroma. Definitely hop forward.

Taste follows. Delicious juicy orange hops burst forth with a bitter grapefruit finish with a little pine. Just a touch of caramel to support the hops.

Good creamy mouthfeel with good carb levels.

I've been wanting to try this one as Dreamsicles are one of my favorites. It definitely delivers. While not quite a dreamsicle (not much vanilla presence) it comes closer than I thought a beer ever could. Goes down incredibly smooth with good flavors.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

citra hops, 22# dry hopped, 75 IBUs

a: nonic pint serving, murky pecan brown in color with a gorgeous cream colored head, thick with great retention and clinging lace, cascading like a nitro treatment

s: juicy tropical and citrus aromas with a formidable bready, toasty caramel underbody, pulpy orange and pineapple, hop tea, leafy, fantastic aroma, rustic and pungent

m: carbonation light with a medium, creamy body, very soft and satisfying, a cask serving is almost cheating when it comes to scoring appearance and mouthfeel, but the results are appreciated just the same

t: sweet citrus pulp, orange peel, leafy tea-like hop matter is tough to avoid with a dry hopping of this magnitude - but it's rustic and I like it, orange-mango juice, sweet caramel malts with nuances of toast, a balancing bitter creeps into the finish

d: Mad Fox has done quite well with cask IPAs recently, and this is my favorite so far, a delicious beer if limited in drinkability only by its abv

happy hour pint at the brewpub

4.04/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a growler
I don't prefer IPAs, but not so much that I don't keep drinking them when presented to me.
A - Nice dark orange color with moderate head that doesn't get in the way
S - The smell is a noticible citris/tangerine, but subtle enough that you don't feel like it's fake or perfumy
T - Again, subtle hints of orange citris, but I never felt like I was drinking some fruity beer, the hopness was also very slight, which I prefer and seemed absent of any bitter aftertaste
F - a bit of carbonation, but otherwise nothing noteworthy
O - I really enjoyed this IPA, in fact, I went back for seconds. Even with the orange scent and subtle orange taste, I never felt like I was drinking some summer fruit beer. The hoppiness was present but very masked also not overtaking the beer. A reallly nice blend that I would recommend to the non-IPA drinker like me.

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Strange name for an outstanding IPA.

On-Tap from a temporary final bbl. at Mad Fox on March 2, 2011.

Beautiful orange color with a creamy white head which lasted throughout the pint glass finish.

Nice hoppy, fruity aroma and a nice bite from hop oils in the finish.

The taste was really complex with a nice fruit start that wasn't overly sweet and finished with a wonderful hoppy finish.

An an IPA guy I feel that I am left short with my IPA's but this one was not the case.

One of the best IPA's in that .abv range that I have tasted.

Bravo!! to brewer Bill Madden, another great beer!!!

4.84/5  rDev +13.3%

On tap at Mad Fox Brewing Co. 1/23/11
From tap to nonic pint glass

A: Hazy red rock amber. It's strikingly similar in presentation to an unfiltered apple cider on an autumn's day. 1.25 finger head leads a lack of substantial lacing.

S: "Up to the plate steps Senor Pineapple. He's a home run hitter and has Hall of Fame potential." Bob Uecker couldn't have called it better, as BAM! - freshly sliced pineapple hits the nose head on. I'm giddy from head to toe. I lose complete touch with reality for a split second as I giggle like a little schoolboy. I literally cannot wait to get into the 'Whip.

T: Wow.

Simply wow. There is no better way to describe it. I've had a lot of beer, both good and bad. But I cannot for the life of me think of many brews that have struck me as almost life changing. As the reviewing instructions say, "5's should be rare, that it cannot impove anymore." The Orange Whip, in my humble opinion, is one of those rare beers. It is like squeezing a hop cone directly into your mouth. "Paging Dr. Malt, we need a hop IV stat!" Citrus explodes onto the tastebuds. Like a virus it spreads, invading every little nook and cranny of my mouth. Hands down, this is the freshest, most scrumdiddlyumptious west coast style, American IPA I've had on tap to date.

M: Not as voluptuous as some IPA's, and most DIPA's. The carbonation level seems well suited for the brew, and this unfiltered beer certainly packs some reasonable weight.

O: I've said it before and I'll say it again - Mad Fox's Orange Whip American IPA is one of the best American IPA's I've consumed. Buy your plane ticket. Book your seat on the train. Fill your gas tank. Whatever it takes, just make sure you have a pint of the 'Whip before you die.

*Paired with fresh yeast donuts & pork belly eggs benedict

4.14/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

16 oz. pint glass purchased at the brewery on the release date (3/1/04), drank over an hour at the bar.

A: 2/3 - deep amber-brown, received with a subtle glass lacing, moderate alcohol legs

S: 10/12 - moderate amount of Citra hop aroma - orange, tangerine and lemon; moderate biscuity malt presence; some alcohols as well

T: 16/20 - on the front of the tongue, there is a moderate hop bitterness that develops into classic Citra flavors - tangerine, orange and mango - with no dank or catty presence; in the middle of the mouth, the citrus flavors continue to develop but there is a big malt presence here than many American IPAs - lots of Marris Otter in here, I think; little alcohol flavors; finishes dry and inviting

M: 4/5 - moderate hop oils, some alcohol fullness

O: 9/10 - solid hoppy pale ale but, to be honest, it's not what I expected with an English IPA color and malt backbone under Citra; it's good stuff but there are other many other commercial Citra beers out there that I prefer - FFF ZD and Pipework's Citra Ninja immediately come to mind; nonetheless, I'd recommend it as a milder, balanced Citra beer, but don't come here looking for a Citra bomb

TOTAL - 41/50

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

On tap at the brewpub on 11.13.2010. A bit disappointed that I missed the cask version, but NotF was worth it. Served in a pint glass.

Pours a very hazy dark amber-honey color. Definitely unfiltered. There is a single finger of off-white head with minimal lacing to begin. Served a bit cold and as I let it warm and gave it a few good swirls, the head came back up and started leaving some really nice lacing.

The nose is orange rind with some slight earthy hips. A bit of bitter orange peel and some light orange marmalade. There is a bit of slightly-sweet pink grapefruit. Notes of orange creamsicle as well. The taste is really nice and orange from the start with a dry finish. Smooth midpalate on medium body. It's slightly creamy and exhibits some slight earthy notes.

As it warms even more there is a good dosing of light pine needle. This is really tasty and hop-forward. I'd say that this is the best I've seen from Bill and the folks at Mad Fox so far. Hope these big hop bombs keep on coming.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

One of the best drinking IPA's I have tasted

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

A growler share from weezarc. Thank you. Very balanced IPA that is very good. Nice citrus flavor and not too bitter.

3.5/5  rDev -18%

On tap at the brewpub poured into a sampler glass. Pours a hazy reddish amber color with a large offwhite head. Decent head retention and lacing. Aroma of strong citrus hops, caramel and toasted malts. The taste is big citrus hops including orange, pineapple, grapefruit and candied citrus, as well as caramel malts. Medium bodied. Strong lingering bitterness.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Best local (to me) IPA I've had the pleasure of drinking.
Have been waiting a while to try it, and glad it lived up to expectations.
Pours a dark orange/amber, not reminiscent of a traditional IPA.
Nose has tons of tropical fruits and pineapples and the taste follows.
Great balance between hops and malt here, IMO what DFH90 tried to achieve, this does to the next degree.
Would love to have this again.. great brew.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Growler shared by dtmets84, thanks!

Surprisingly dark maroon pour. Minimal head. Pungent grapefruit and hops billow from the glass, inviting me to taste. And yeah, this is fantastic. Tastes like biting into a juicy orange with lingering orange-y citrus after swallowing. Excellent blend with the hoppy base. No hop oil or biting resin character. Just... wow!

Despite being one of my least favorite styles (Single IPA), Orange Whip is *incredibly* good. I could drink this all day.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Huge thanks to portable for sending this growler my way just because he thought i would like it!!! enjoyed from an urthel tulip. growler filled on 12/4

a - brew poured a deep ruby maroon with a finger or so of ipa white foamy head that hung out for a while and left a think 1/4 inch of foam on the surface for a WHILE. sticky chunky lacing clung to the glass.

s - YUM! citric hops. dankness. orange. tropical fruit. smells fantastic. my mouth is literally watering.

t - much like the nose, the flavor boasts thick dank sweaty hops. this beer really hits on that pine cone vibe. good malt presence too to ensure that this isn't just a hop bomb. doug, who sent this to me, told me that it was starting to taste a bit more malty the other day than when he first had it, but i dig the malts. extremely well balanced and great tropical flavors.

m - fairly full bodied. good carbonation. not too bitter. fairly crisp and super easy to drink.

o - overall, this is another great ipa. the nose is the highlight, but the taste is no joke either. VERY happy to have the chance to try such a great ipa, especially one so under the radar as this one...never heard of it until it showed up at my doorstep. nicely made, would definitely seek this out if you like a solid IPA.

A - Pours a cloudy brownish orange color with minimal head and a loose foamy off white lacing and sediment.

A - Tropical fruit that's tangy and pungent and fruit rinds.

T - Matches the nose with fruit rinds of guava, oranges, and grapefruit. Sweet caramel malt underneath blends well with the sweet fruity taste and and mild bitter aftertaste that doesn't hang around for very long.

M -Light medium body, velvet smooth.

O - Not setting the IPA world on fire but I did really enjoy the glass.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

~~Thanks to CuriousMonk for the growler~~

From notes on 12/15/12:
Poured in a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A - Pours one inch of off-white creamy head with pretty good retention; Deep, dark and fairly cloudy maroon hued amber in color - probably the darkest IPA I've ever seen; Nice showing of lacing around the glass

S - Now this is impressive; Loads of juicy Mandarin orange citrus notes (as the name suggests) - pretty sweet and a bit tart all at once - with a nice floral quality as well; Caramel and biscuity malt backbone with a slight and barely noticeable touch of peppery and piney hops

T - Pretty well balanced initially, which is a bit different than what the nose shows; Good amount of orange citrus, as well as lesser doses of tropical fruit, pungent pine, and lightly peppery hops; Caramel and biscuity malts also play an integral part with a light to moderate wave of bitterness that tags along and lingers; Oranges become a stronger feature later in the taste and as the beer warms - with a bit of accompanying pineapple fruit - and really shine in the finish with the bitterness dying off and an increase in sweetness

M - Moderate carbonation and medium bodied; Very smooth and easy going down; Definitely finishes on the dry side

O - I had been waiting to try this particular IPA for some time, and honestly, it easily lived up to my lofty expectations. Of the countless IPA's I have enjoyed over the years, this one is definitely one of the most unique. The aroma was admittedly my favorite part with it's over-the-top, but intoxicating orange goodness. The flavor didn't quite match that level of near perfection, but it certainly didn't disappoint either, packing quite the hoppy, orange-dominated punch. Without hesitation, I'd put this beer in the highest of classes of IPA's east of the Mississippi.

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Copper color with a thin cask yellowish foam of a head.

Aromas of citrus and a hint of toasted malt.

Not a huge hop flavor, but pronounced citrus and pine that definitely say IPA. Sweet and toasty malt notes loiter in the background.

Medium body, lightly bitter finish - the hops are more on the flavor here.

Very nice, one of my favorite IPA's from this very welcome new addition to the inner beltway NOVA scene.

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

Growler thanks to CUE45. round two of this beverage means I must rate it.

Smells like a normal IPA nothing special..having this next to heady topper, columbus IPA, head hunter and white rajah this is the one I will keep dabbling in.

i felt the orange creamsicle vibe more so last time then now but still delicious

thank you to virginia for bringing more then just busch gardens

to view more.