Orange Whip IPA - Mad Fox Brewing Company

Orange Whip IPA
No picture uploaded.

Mad Fox Brewing Company visit their website
Virginia, United States

(Beer added by: blackie on 11-06-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Orange Whip IPA Alström Bros

LJugel, Feb 22, 2014

StrikeThreeLager, Jul 26, 2014

pauljunk, Aug 16, 2014

Shumania, Dec 04, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

On tap at Mad Fox Brewing Co. 1/23/11
From tap to nonic pint glass

A: Hazy red rock amber. It's strikingly similar in presentation to an unfiltered apple cider on an autumn's day. 1.25 finger head leads a lack of substantial lacing.

S: "Up to the plate steps Senor Pineapple. He's a home run hitter and has Hall of Fame potential." Bob Uecker couldn't have called it better, as BAM! - freshly sliced pineapple hits the nose head on. I'm giddy from head to toe. I lose complete touch with reality for a split second as I giggle like a little schoolboy. I literally cannot wait to get into the 'Whip.

T: Wow.

Simply wow. There is no better way to describe it. I've had a lot of beer, both good and bad. But I cannot for the life of me think of many brews that have struck me as almost life changing. As the reviewing instructions say, "5's should be rare, that it cannot impove anymore." The Orange Whip, in my humble opinion, is one of those rare beers. It is like squeezing a hop cone directly into your mouth. "Paging Dr. Malt, we need a hop IV stat!" Citrus explodes onto the tastebuds. Like a virus it spreads, invading every little nook and cranny of my mouth. Hands down, this is the freshest, most scrumdiddlyumptious west coast style, American IPA I've had on tap to date.

M: Not as voluptuous as some IPA's, and most DIPA's. The carbonation level seems well suited for the brew, and this unfiltered beer certainly packs some reasonable weight.

O: I've said it before and I'll say it again - Mad Fox's Orange Whip American IPA is one of the best American IPA's I've consumed. Buy your plane ticket. Book your seat on the train. Fill your gas tank. Whatever it takes, just make sure you have a pint of the 'Whip before you die.

*Paired with fresh yeast donuts & pork belly eggs benedict

Rhettroactive, Jan 25, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

From a 750 ml swing top growler filled 4 days ago on 7/16/13, this was a super fresh sample and poured into a port glass. I thought that the Palace Hotel Ballroom was the only place that served Orange Whip, but I stand corrected ("Three Orange Whips!").

Burnished crystal clear copper hue with a finger of khaki head.Carbonation barely noticibale by appearance only. The head remains for a few minutes, some spotty lacing noted, but by no means the most important component.

Aroma is simply top notch in all respects: the hops are completely front and center, with a notable citra blast from the dry hopping causing the mouth to water, like Pavlov's dog. This is a stroll through an orange grove while your feet are stepping on freshly fallen pine needles wafting up your nostrils. Malt? What malt?!

Flavors are that of an orange creamsicle dipped in pine needles, just divine. Orange Whip has one of the most pleasant flavors of any IPA that I have been fortunate enough to sample, and rivals anything from California or Vermont. Alcohol not even slightly detectable.

Mouthfeel also a major high point here. The carbonation that seems like it could be slight by the appearance yet it is masterfully executed, with a result that creates a tremendously creamy texture over the palate. Light to medium body, exceptionally quaffable.

After spoiling my palate to high quality Vermont offerings from Lawson's, Hill Farmstead & The Alchemist (in addition to some stellar California IPAs), it becomes more and more difficult to find something that really flips my wig, yet Orange Whip has done just that. I place Mad Fox Orange Whip at the very top of my recommendation list for those that enjoy a genuine tropical IPA experience, and would match it up against the very best of the best, and the high rating on my part is due to the uniqueness of this amazing IPA.

Hendry, Jul 21, 2013
4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

The Orange Whip is one of Mad Fox's favorites - not that the rest of em' aren't great; it is a quintessential IPA with all the criteria in check.

The body is a luxuriant copper color: semi-translucent and still with nary a carbonation bubble in sight. There is a minimal lacing present. The nose is king here as the beer presents an intense waft of grapefruit complimented with a few whiffs of pine and brown sugar. The palate is really busy with this one: peach, mango and tangerine flay the tongue; there is an iota of malt, which provides some semi-sweetness. All this along with dry-hopped citra makes for a devastating powerhouse of a quaff.

Wonderfully balanced brew makes for a non-aggressive quaff, and one that deserves the fame it has incurred. (As of this writing, Mad Fox is anticipating another tapping.) Yes! Pliny goes to Northern Virginia .... and why not?

jjboesen, Nov 25, 2012

cysiam, Aug 15, 2012

Gatordaddy, Sep 05, 2012

weezarc, Mar 29, 2013
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Strange name for an outstanding IPA.

On-Tap from a temporary final bbl. at Mad Fox on March 2, 2011.

Beautiful orange color with a creamy white head which lasted throughout the pint glass finish.

Nice hoppy, fruity aroma and a nice bite from hop oils in the finish.

The taste was really complex with a nice fruit start that wasn't overly sweet and finished with a wonderful hoppy finish.

An an IPA guy I feel that I am left short with my IPA's but this one was not the case.

One of the best IPA's in that .abv range that I have tasted.

Bravo!! to brewer Bill Madden, another great beer!!!

MQ4188, Apr 12, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

64oz birthday growler from mr. Desaparecido! Thanks! Poured into chouffe tulip.

A- VERY dark for an IPA- dark amber- almost brown. Caramel head, 1cm settles quickly with some nice (if thin) lacing.

S- OK- I smelled this as I pulled it out of the box. A bit was on the growler from the fill- it smells like orange creamsicles. Hardcore, full-out orange creamsicles. It's awesome. As it sits in the glass some tart and tangy grapefruit aroma marries with the oranges. Very hoppy.

T- Very strong malt base plays off the intense fruitiness of the hops. Tangerine and mango. Concentrated orange goodness. Very tropical. Sweet, sugary malt really adds an 'oomph' to the hop profile- And the sweetness fades with the sip. Hoppy as all hell- I'm loving it.

M- Well-balanced and constructed, stellar mouthfeel, finish, the whole package. Sweet (and intensely sweet at that) but it is fleeting, the finish is nice and dry.

O- Never heard of this beer, but I fell in love at first sip. I'd pass up damn near any beer for a chance to score some more of this. Everything about this screams 'orange', and it nails it.

___

ShogoKawada, May 21, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Growler shared by dtmets84, thanks!

Surprisingly dark maroon pour. Minimal head. Pungent grapefruit and hops billow from the glass, inviting me to taste. And yeah, this is fantastic. Tastes like biting into a juicy orange with lingering orange-y citrus after swallowing. Excellent blend with the hoppy base. No hop oil or biting resin character. Just... wow!

Despite being one of my least favorite styles (Single IPA), Orange Whip is *incredibly* good. I could drink this all day.

brystmar, Aug 19, 2012
4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

64oz growler courtesy of mdfb79 - thanks for helping me track this one down Dan!

Appearance: Poured aggressively into Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass which leads to about a finger and a half of dark white head. Minimal lacing to speak of. Color is a very dark orange, almost pushing a shade of brown. Uniquely dark in color for such a citrus-forward IPA.

Smell: Citrus hops smack you in the face hard. I get some grapefruit but mostly orange. Bit of a sweet smell balances the typical citrus hop punch for the style. This beer simply smells awesome.

Taste: Strong citrus flavor, as you'd expect by now. I will say I get more grapefruit than anything in the flavor, but the orange isn't completely in the background - he's right there up front and tasty. Sweet and nicely balanced - the hops control the flavor profile in this beer but don't dominate.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and low to medium carb, bit of a sweet stickiness on the backend.

Overall: I like Orange Whip a lot. I figured I would, both based on the reviews and my love of Orange Creamsicles, which is why I sought it out. But - this was a very different beer than I expected. I was thinking this would be something super sweet and candy like, more like what Short's might make, but it's not. It's really just a very citrus-forward IPA that manages to make the orange stick out more than usual and thus this guy stands out from the pack of traditional grapefruit/pineapple tasting citrus-forward IPAs. IPA lovers, Orange Whip is worth seeking out as something a little out of the ordinary.

cbeer88, Oct 01, 2011