Orange Whip IPA - Mad Fox Brewing Company

No picture.

Mad Fox Brewing Company visit their website
Virginia, United States

Beer added by: blackie on 11-06-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Orange Whip IPA Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 135 | Reviews: 44
4.84/5  rDev +13.3%

On tap at Mad Fox Brewing Co. 1/23/11
From tap to nonic pint glass

A: Hazy red rock amber. It's strikingly similar in presentation to an unfiltered apple cider on an autumn's day. 1.25 finger head leads a lack of substantial lacing.

S: "Up to the plate steps Senor Pineapple. He's a home run hitter and has Hall of Fame potential." Bob Uecker couldn't have called it better, as BAM! - freshly sliced pineapple hits the nose head on. I'm giddy from head to toe. I lose complete touch with reality for a split second as I giggle like a little schoolboy. I literally cannot wait to get into the 'Whip.

T: Wow.

Simply wow. There is no better way to describe it. I've had a lot of beer, both good and bad. But I cannot for the life of me think of many brews that have struck me as almost life changing. As the reviewing instructions say, "5's should be rare, that it cannot impove anymore." The Orange Whip, in my humble opinion, is one of those rare beers. It is like squeezing a hop cone directly into your mouth. "Paging Dr. Malt, we need a hop IV stat!" Citrus explodes onto the tastebuds. Like a virus it spreads, invading every little nook and cranny of my mouth. Hands down, this is the freshest, most scrumdiddlyumptious west coast style, American IPA I've had on tap to date.

M: Not as voluptuous as some IPA's, and most DIPA's. The carbonation level seems well suited for the brew, and this unfiltered beer certainly packs some reasonable weight.

O: I've said it before and I'll say it again - Mad Fox's Orange Whip American IPA is one of the best American IPA's I've consumed. Buy your plane ticket. Book your seat on the train. Fill your gas tank. Whatever it takes, just make sure you have a pint of the 'Whip before you die.

*Paired with fresh yeast donuts & pork belly eggs benedict

4.81/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

From a 750 ml swing top growler filled 4 days ago on 7/16/13, this was a super fresh sample and poured into a port glass. I thought that the Palace Hotel Ballroom was the only place that served Orange Whip, but I stand corrected ("Three Orange Whips!").

Burnished crystal clear copper hue with a finger of khaki head.Carbonation barely noticibale by appearance only. The head remains for a few minutes, some spotty lacing noted, but by no means the most important component.

Aroma is simply top notch in all respects: the hops are completely front and center, with a notable citra blast from the dry hopping causing the mouth to water, like Pavlov's dog. This is a stroll through an orange grove while your feet are stepping on freshly fallen pine needles wafting up your nostrils. Malt? What malt?!

Flavors are that of an orange creamsicle dipped in pine needles, just divine. Orange Whip has one of the most pleasant flavors of any IPA that I have been fortunate enough to sample, and rivals anything from California or Vermont. Alcohol not even slightly detectable.

Mouthfeel also a major high point here. The carbonation that seems like it could be slight by the appearance yet it is masterfully executed, with a result that creates a tremendously creamy texture over the palate. Light to medium body, exceptionally quaffable.

After spoiling my palate to high quality Vermont offerings from Lawson's, Hill Farmstead & The Alchemist (in addition to some stellar California IPAs), it becomes more and more difficult to find something that really flips my wig, yet Orange Whip has done just that. I place Mad Fox Orange Whip at the very top of my recommendation list for those that enjoy a genuine tropical IPA experience, and would match it up against the very best of the best, and the high rating on my part is due to the uniqueness of this amazing IPA.

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

This is the best Mad Fox beer I've had so far and I would highly recommend it to any IPA or pale ale fan.

A- Orange Whip pours from the draft a mahogany/amber color with reddish highlights and a wispy head.

S- The beer pops with a strong hit of pineapple accented with notes of citrus, fruit cocktail and other hop aromas.

M- This medium-bodied beer is smooth through the middle and ends with a refreshing dry note.

T- The beer--with its expert balance of bitter hops and sweet malts--tastes like vacation in a glass with notes of pineapple, citrus, fruit cocktail, peaches caramelized in brown-sugar, and pineapple upside down cake.

One of the best drinking IPA's I have tasted

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Best local (to me) IPA I've had the pleasure of drinking.
Have been waiting a while to try it, and glad it lived up to expectations.
Pours a dark orange/amber, not reminiscent of a traditional IPA.
Nose has tons of tropical fruits and pineapples and the taste follows.
Great balance between hops and malt here, IMO what DFH90 tried to achieve, this does to the next degree.
Would love to have this again.. great brew.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

The Orange Whip is one of Mad Fox's favorites - not that the rest of em' aren't great; it is a quintessential IPA with all the criteria in check.

The body is a luxuriant copper color: semi-translucent and still with nary a carbonation bubble in sight. There is a minimal lacing present. The nose is king here as the beer presents an intense waft of grapefruit complimented with a few whiffs of pine and brown sugar. The palate is really busy with this one: peach, mango and tangerine flay the tongue; there is an iota of malt, which provides some semi-sweetness. All this along with dry-hopped citra makes for a devastating powerhouse of a quaff.

Wonderfully balanced brew makes for a non-aggressive quaff, and one that deserves the fame it has incurred. (As of this writing, Mad Fox is anticipating another tapping.) Yes! Pliny goes to Northern Virginia .... and why not?

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Strange name for an outstanding IPA.

On-Tap from a temporary final bbl. at Mad Fox on March 2, 2011.

Beautiful orange color with a creamy white head which lasted throughout the pint glass finish.

Nice hoppy, fruity aroma and a nice bite from hop oils in the finish.

The taste was really complex with a nice fruit start that wasn't overly sweet and finished with a wonderful hoppy finish.

An an IPA guy I feel that I am left short with my IPA's but this one was not the case.

One of the best IPA's in that .abv range that I have tasted.

Bravo!! to brewer Bill Madden, another great beer!!!

4.69/5  rDev +9.8%

64oz birthday growler from mr. Desaparecido! Thanks! Poured into chouffe tulip.

A- VERY dark for an IPA- dark amber- almost brown. Caramel head, 1cm settles quickly with some nice (if thin) lacing.

S- OK- I smelled this as I pulled it out of the box. A bit was on the growler from the fill- it smells like orange creamsicles. Hardcore, full-out orange creamsicles. It's awesome. As it sits in the glass some tart and tangy grapefruit aroma marries with the oranges. Very hoppy.

T- Very strong malt base plays off the intense fruitiness of the hops. Tangerine and mango. Concentrated orange goodness. Very tropical. Sweet, sugary malt really adds an 'oomph' to the hop profile- And the sweetness fades with the sip. Hoppy as all hell- I'm loving it.

M- Well-balanced and constructed, stellar mouthfeel, finish, the whole package. Sweet (and intensely sweet at that) but it is fleeting, the finish is nice and dry.

O- Never heard of this beer, but I fell in love at first sip. I'd pass up damn near any beer for a chance to score some more of this. Everything about this screams 'orange', and it nails it.

___

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Growler shared by dtmets84, thanks!

Surprisingly dark maroon pour. Minimal head. Pungent grapefruit and hops billow from the glass, inviting me to taste. And yeah, this is fantastic. Tastes like biting into a juicy orange with lingering orange-y citrus after swallowing. Excellent blend with the hoppy base. No hop oil or biting resin character. Just... wow!

Despite being one of my least favorite styles (Single IPA), Orange Whip is *incredibly* good. I could drink this all day.

4.54/5  rDev +6.3%

64oz growler courtesy of mdfb79 - thanks for helping me track this one down Dan!

Appearance: Poured aggressively into Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass which leads to about a finger and a half of dark white head. Minimal lacing to speak of. Color is a very dark orange, almost pushing a shade of brown. Uniquely dark in color for such a citrus-forward IPA.

Smell: Citrus hops smack you in the face hard. I get some grapefruit but mostly orange. Bit of a sweet smell balances the typical citrus hop punch for the style. This beer simply smells awesome.

Taste: Strong citrus flavor, as you'd expect by now. I will say I get more grapefruit than anything in the flavor, but the orange isn't completely in the background - he's right there up front and tasty. Sweet and nicely balanced - the hops control the flavor profile in this beer but don't dominate.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and low to medium carb, bit of a sweet stickiness on the backend.

Overall: I like Orange Whip a lot. I figured I would, both based on the reviews and my love of Orange Creamsicles, which is why I sought it out. But - this was a very different beer than I expected. I was thinking this would be something super sweet and candy like, more like what Short's might make, but it's not. It's really just a very citrus-forward IPA that manages to make the orange stick out more than usual and thus this guy stands out from the pack of traditional grapefruit/pineapple tasting citrus-forward IPAs. IPA lovers, Orange Whip is worth seeking out as something a little out of the ordinary.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

A growler share from weezarc. Thank you. Very balanced IPA that is very good. Nice citrus flavor and not too bitter.

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to TrippHop for the growler!

Pours a clear moderately deep amber with a 2 finger head dissipating into good sticky lacing.

The aroma is a citrus onslaught mostly orange, but some grapefruit as well. Also get a little pine and despite the color, not a lot of maltiness in the aroma. Definitely hop forward.

Taste follows. Delicious juicy orange hops burst forth with a bitter grapefruit finish with a little pine. Just a touch of caramel to support the hops.

Good creamy mouthfeel with good carb levels.

I've been wanting to try this one as Dreamsicles are one of my favorites. It definitely delivers. While not quite a dreamsicle (not much vanilla presence) it comes closer than I thought a beer ever could. Goes down incredibly smooth with good flavors.

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Fiance picked up a growler of Orange whip and a pizza from Mad Fox tonight for my birthday. Poured into my Southern Tier tulip. It poured a dark caramel color with a thick, foamy, off-white head filling the top two inches of the glass. Such a deep, nice looking color to it.

The aroma has a very juicy citra hop profile to it. A tropical fruit, juicy pineapple and mango stand out at first, while more of a candied orange zest comes out the more I get into it. I get a little malty sweetness coming through, which really give it some smooth, balanced qualities. The juicy, citra hop flavors are the real star of the show for me though, and I love citra hops.

The taste shows more of the juicy, citra hops to it through the flavor. Again I get notes of pineapple and mango mixing with candied orange zest. I get a some malty, sweet notes coming out as I get to the finish balancing the bitterness out nicely.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonation is below average. Overall, I thought it was a fantastic beer. I love citra hops and this one really showcases them excellently. Very juicy and flavorful but also smooth and low on bitterness. It felt very balanced and drinkable relative to the style. It was a damn good beer overall, not quite as good as Kern's citra but it's definitely deserving to be mentioned in the same conversation of best citra beers, at least out of the ones I've had so far. This is one of the few locals that I'm going to go out of my way for frequently.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

~~Thanks to CuriousMonk for the growler~~

From notes on 12/15/12:
Poured in a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A - Pours one inch of off-white creamy head with pretty good retention; Deep, dark and fairly cloudy maroon hued amber in color - probably the darkest IPA I've ever seen; Nice showing of lacing around the glass

S - Now this is impressive; Loads of juicy Mandarin orange citrus notes (as the name suggests) - pretty sweet and a bit tart all at once - with a nice floral quality as well; Caramel and biscuity malt backbone with a slight and barely noticeable touch of peppery and piney hops

T - Pretty well balanced initially, which is a bit different than what the nose shows; Good amount of orange citrus, as well as lesser doses of tropical fruit, pungent pine, and lightly peppery hops; Caramel and biscuity malts also play an integral part with a light to moderate wave of bitterness that tags along and lingers; Oranges become a stronger feature later in the taste and as the beer warms - with a bit of accompanying pineapple fruit - and really shine in the finish with the bitterness dying off and an increase in sweetness

M - Moderate carbonation and medium bodied; Very smooth and easy going down; Definitely finishes on the dry side

O - I had been waiting to try this particular IPA for some time, and honestly, it easily lived up to my lofty expectations. Of the countless IPA's I have enjoyed over the years, this one is definitely one of the most unique. The aroma was admittedly my favorite part with it's over-the-top, but intoxicating orange goodness. The flavor didn't quite match that level of near perfection, but it certainly didn't disappoint either, packing quite the hoppy, orange-dominated punch. Without hesitation, I'd put this beer in the highest of classes of IPA's east of the Mississippi.

4.39/5  rDev +2.8%

Damn fine beer. Pours a deep amber with a two finger off white head that dissipates to a ring relatively quickly, but maintains a bit of form until the beer is finished. Decent lacing. Pours a bit darker than a typical ipa. Interesting appearance. The smell is pretty unreal. Huge orange notes, complemented by some lemon, some pine, and some tropicals. The other notes give it some more complexity, but the orange is huge here, and it is fantastic. The orange is downed a notch in the flavor, and the biscuit and caramel malt is a bit more noticeable, but the flavor is still quite good. Orange is still the biggest player here, but the pine is certainly upped a notch, as is the bitterness. Sticky, resinous mouthfeel. Very good ipa. I'm very happy I found this, as the brewery is 5 minutes from my house. I see a lot of growlers of this in the future.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

Big thanks to siege06nd for the growler!

The smell upon opening the growler was just amazing! Loads of hops and citrus.

The appearance is also great - a really dark, orange-copper that lets through some light, but isn't thin or transparent at all. The head is nearly nonexistent here, though...not sure how much of that is from lower carbonation in this beer, and how much is from shipment of a growler.

The taste, again, amazing...tons of citrus and hops. Less of the popular 'piney' taste and more of the citrus (hence the name, right?).

The mouthfeel is lacking here, however. This is due to the carbonation issue. I know that if there was more there, the mouthfeel would be spot on, as this isn't a small, thin beer.

Overall, and amazing AIPA - the smell, the taste, all just amazing and enjoyable. If only the carbonation issue hadn't been here it'd be a true top-tier beer.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Huge thanks to portable for sending this growler my way just because he thought i would like it!!! enjoyed from an urthel tulip. growler filled on 12/4

a - brew poured a deep ruby maroon with a finger or so of ipa white foamy head that hung out for a while and left a think 1/4 inch of foam on the surface for a WHILE. sticky chunky lacing clung to the glass.

s - YUM! citric hops. dankness. orange. tropical fruit. smells fantastic. my mouth is literally watering.

t - much like the nose, the flavor boasts thick dank sweaty hops. this beer really hits on that pine cone vibe. good malt presence too to ensure that this isn't just a hop bomb. doug, who sent this to me, told me that it was starting to taste a bit more malty the other day than when he first had it, but i dig the malts. extremely well balanced and great tropical flavors.

m - fairly full bodied. good carbonation. not too bitter. fairly crisp and super easy to drink.

o - overall, this is another great ipa. the nose is the highlight, but the taste is no joke either. VERY happy to have the chance to try such a great ipa, especially one so under the radar as this one...never heard of it until it showed up at my doorstep. nicely made, would definitely seek this out if you like a solid IPA.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

I had this one on tap the other day at the brewery and was totally blown away, so I picked up a growler to take home. It's been in the fridge for a couple of days, so here goes:

A: VERY dark, murky orange, with a nice 1/2 finger + off white head that stayed afloat throughout the session.

S: Fruity, and with an incredible hop sizzle that was present under very close inspection, but not in-your-face.

T: I told someone this week that this one reminded me of Nugget Nectar (even though NN is made with nugget and this one uses Citra). I think it's because of the floral bouquet here: orange zest, pineapple, and just pure Caribbean delight!

M: The carbonation is somewhat low (as I've noticed with a lot of Mad Fox's brews), but that was appropriate. A nice bitter punch on the end, but with a stable malt backbone to balance that out. Fresh, fresh, fresh!

O: Incredibly tasty stuff and definitely the best of Bill Madden's creations I've tried so far. PLEASE, if you live in DC (or anywhere near on the East Coast for that matter), make sure you make the trip out to Mad Fox during Orange Whip's run!

4.27/5  rDev 0%

On tap at the brewpub.

Pours an unfiltered, gazed brown copper with a stale cream colored head that fades to a thin bubbly collar with thin webs of adequate lacing. Aroma is very hoppy, orange and grapefruit rind with light pine. Medium thick, chewy body with a smooth dry finish. Strong, mildly sweet caramel malt body with juicy orange, pulp and rind throughout. Bitterness is well balanced and there is an appropriate amount of sweetness. Very nice.

4.26/5  rDev -0.2%

Little head minimal lacing on a hazy amber with a minimal golden hue. Aroma is excellent with citrus, mostly grapefruit and orange peel citrus on the nose. Very drinkable. Lots of citrus and earth notes and right amount of bitterness applied to a well balanced malt character. Medium body and moderate carbonation.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Beer served on tap at the brewpub. Beer is orangish and mildly hazy with a thin off white head of small tiny bubbles that leaves some nice lacing on the glass, beer is moderate to lowly carbonated. Looks fine.

Aroma is pretty hoppy, resiny, piny with an earthiness to the whole thing, mild fruits.

Beer is a chewer, hop flavor so thick you can eat it with a spoon. Decent level of bitterness on the back end, nice floral hop bouquet on the palate at the time of the finish. I would have this beer again for sure.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

From 09/20/11 notes. Had on tap at the brewpub.

a - Pours a bright clear dark orange color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smell of citrus hops, orange peels, pine hops, and fruity malts. Lots of citrus and oranges, which I love. Great smelling IPA.

t - Tastes of oranges, citrus hops, and pine hops. A light bitterness in the taste, and not quite as much orange as the nose, but still really good.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Some light bitterness.

o - Overall a really great IPA. Tons of hops and orange in the nose and taste, and only a light amount of bitterness. Super easy to drink and would love to have it again.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

citra hops, 22# dry hopped, 75 IBUs

a: nonic pint serving, murky pecan brown in color with a gorgeous cream colored head, thick with great retention and clinging lace, cascading like a nitro treatment

s: juicy tropical and citrus aromas with a formidable bready, toasty caramel underbody, pulpy orange and pineapple, hop tea, leafy, fantastic aroma, rustic and pungent

m: carbonation light with a medium, creamy body, very soft and satisfying, a cask serving is almost cheating when it comes to scoring appearance and mouthfeel, but the results are appreciated just the same

t: sweet citrus pulp, orange peel, leafy tea-like hop matter is tough to avoid with a dry hopping of this magnitude - but it's rustic and I like it, orange-mango juice, sweet caramel malts with nuances of toast, a balancing bitter creeps into the finish

d: Mad Fox has done quite well with cask IPAs recently, and this is my favorite so far, a delicious beer if limited in drinkability only by its abv

happy hour pint at the brewpub

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured on tap into a half sized shaker pint style glass at Meridian Pint. From notes.

A dark copper body, orange hues along the edges with a dark amber appearance. Kind of hard body color to describe almost a blur between brown and amber. The puck settles with a nice tan cap and laces nicely. The head is particularly uniform and real nice.

There's a light sense of hop like grapefruit and toasty spice. Light brown sugar whaffs up a bit. More citrus orange and very clean. Very simple. Nice and not overbearing either. Solid.

On first sip the palate fills with a good brown sugar that's tolerable. Piney wood like hops finish with a great breath mellow orange and citrus qualities. Prickly carbonation at first but nothing detracting. Warmth really brings out more of a creamy character and hop tangerine like citrus to the beer also, but it's subtle.

Overall a solid IPA to be having in the area. I personally love 2 hemispheres considerably more and wasn't crazy about this, but it's a solid decent brew worth having again.

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

On tap at the brewpub on 11.13.2010. A bit disappointed that I missed the cask version, but NotF was worth it. Served in a pint glass.

Pours a very hazy dark amber-honey color. Definitely unfiltered. There is a single finger of off-white head with minimal lacing to begin. Served a bit cold and as I let it warm and gave it a few good swirls, the head came back up and started leaving some really nice lacing.

The nose is orange rind with some slight earthy hips. A bit of bitter orange peel and some light orange marmalade. There is a bit of slightly-sweet pink grapefruit. Notes of orange creamsicle as well. The taste is really nice and orange from the start with a dry finish. Smooth midpalate on medium body. It's slightly creamy and exhibits some slight earthy notes.

As it warms even more there is a good dosing of light pine needle. This is really tasty and hop-forward. I'd say that this is the best I've seen from Bill and the folks at Mad Fox so far. Hope these big hop bombs keep on coming.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »